Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
All that aside, Monroe's "last words" were the best part of last episode. Nick's glare was also spot-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
I was a bit freaked out by this:

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

BarbarousBertha posted:

I forgave the writers for giving that pissy speech to Renard for two reasons. One, it makes sense that his character is stressing balls and lashing out at Nick on the slightest provocation. Two, the writers also gave Renard that cheese and corn line at the end of the episode. "And this little piggy went to jail."

I don't think it needs any forgiveness at all. Working on the assumption that Renard is actually playing the facts instead of trying to just manipulate everyone around him isn't how his character works (or, my interpretation of his character at least).

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Merope posted:

I was a bit freaked out by this:

Ahahaha jesus christ. I can't get that out of my mind's eye now, thanks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
New episode tonight.

3x04 – “One Night Stand”
A lakeside murder investigation leads Nick and Hank to a water-dwelling, mermaid-like Wesen.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 15, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

New episode tonight.

3x04 – “One Night Stand”
A lakeside murder investigation leads Nick and Hank to a water-dwelling, mermaid-like Wesen.

I want Kelpie, Rusalka, or selkie. Anything but a 'Traditional' Mermaid

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I want Kelpie, Rusalka, or selkie. Anything but a 'Traditional' Mermaid

Don't forget Astrofig suggested it might be a siren. I kind of facepalmed when I read that. I should totally have remembered that piece of mythology. I'm personally hoping for a Rusalka though, since I don't think we've seen any slavic fairy tales on Grimm yet. If the series runs as long as I hope it does, maybe we'll get a Baba Yaga. Or would she just be considered a hexenbiest?

Not related to this week, but it's cool as hell that they are covering Central/South American fairy tales. Beyond the chupacabra, those of us in the U.S. and Canada don't get to see a lot of that folklore. I personally know nothing about it. Later this season, they are going to feature El cucuy. I think it was in the Grimm iBook that I saw it. The iBook was recently updated, in case anyone was interested.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ha ha, I was also hoping for Rusalka, but I deleted that from the post.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Dumb question, but what is a Rusalka?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Whatever kind of monster this creature is, I can kind of see why it might be angry. I'd be pretty angry too if teenagers kept breaking into my house and jizzing all over the place.

This is a gross post.

Edit:That dude is gonna be stuck playing creepy teenage dudes for the rest of his life.

I was wrong. Little mermaid. I didn't expect them to follow the show's original premise.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 16, 2013

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Mermaids in wetsuits.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Huh. Naiad. Still a missing voice.

Oh hey. It's an actor I've seen on other shows. He's the bad guy. I like to think that the mermaid has a bunch of ziploc freezer bags cached around the shorre and she stuck the cell phone in there and swam home. Instead of,like, driving, which is far more likely for this show.

She has a cell phone, an ipod, and if you want thingabobs, she's got 20!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 16, 2013

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
And an obsession with human trinkets!

^ Or she stored it inside her cloaca.

ContraceptiveCereal fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 16, 2013

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Nai-dad!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Lol! Backwoods mermen. Lol.

Guess I was wrong about their dad nai-dad.
Brilliant, astrofig.

Edit: That'll teach him to look at our womens.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 16, 2013

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
This is not going to end well for Elly. What are they going to cut off/out of her, I wonder....

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I thought Nick was gonna zombie out while under water for a moment there. That would've sucked.

Lol. Mom. You suck.
Edit: Guess he did.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 16, 2013

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
He might've. Hank thought he looked dead when he came out remember?

Hmmmm....halved metabolic rate? So his heartrate and breathing are only half as fast as normal?

Also, gently caress, Kelly couldn't just sign her email 'Mom' like the rest of the world?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Bored posted:

I thought Nick was gonna zombie out while under water for a moment there. That would've sucked.

Lol. Mom. You suck.
Edit: Guess he did.

I hope that Juliette just asks Nick about "M.", or at least realizes that Nick was totally okay with Juliette reading his e-mail, and therefore unlikely to be receiving stuff from a mistress at that address.

Decent episode. Good scenes with Monroe and Rosalee managing to be drama-free.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

"I'm snooping through someone else's email better read out loud so everyone can hear me."

Really show? Who does this?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

LeafyOrb posted:

"I'm snooping through someone else's email better read out loud so everyone can hear me."

everyone in my family does, what's the problem :confused:

Incidentally so now Nick has gone from "I killed someone in a zombie-haze and I feel bad" to "welp, those Naiads will dry out and die and that's too loving bad because they're murderers" and I'm not sure I like that. I'm not fond of emotional whiplash like that and I doubt most others are. Really I'm interested if that kid is actually going to go back to the mute or just ignore her because she's a "mutant"

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Aces High posted:

Really I'm interested if that kid is actually going to go back to the mute or just ignore her because she's a "mutant"

Might be awkward when her sister has his baby.

I thought the resolution was a little weird too. Sure let them dry out in jail, the ME can handle it...I figured they would wanna avoid more weirdo deaths happening. Don't have any idea what they would have done otherwise though.

And basically telling that kid "lol Portland" was dumb. Remember when Hank went crazy from the same thing happening?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Fru Fru posted:

I thought the resolution was a little weird too. Sure let them dry out in jail, the ME can handle it...I figured they would wanna avoid more weirdo deaths happening. Don't have any idea what they would have done otherwise though.

And basically telling that kid "lol Portland" was dumb. Remember when Hank went crazy from the same thing happening?

You pretty much echoed my thoughts about the end of the show.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
Oh poo poo. Here comes Juliette having to act. Because the wessen is spanish, we are going back to her origins. Or, apparently the only thing she can act. If Nick doesn't go apeshit with WESSEN, CAT, PORPHECY AND YOU NEVER LET ME KNOW. But I am guessing Stone Cold Juliette will just drop "Oh, spanish Wessen, perhaps I know the gal" And no one will think otherwise.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Aces High posted:

Nick has gone from "I killed someone in a zombie-haze and I feel bad" to "welp, those Naiads will dry out and die and that's too loving bad because they're murderers" and I'm not sure I like that. I'm not fond of emotional whiplash like that..
I'm hoping it's not the writing but rather part of his Grimm powers activing. Maybe part of his Wesen-massacring power is supposed to be a little bipolar to heighten the genocidal tendencies?

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I was pretty shocked how easily they seemed ready to let those girls die. I kept thinking the girls looked like they were in their late teens the entire time which only made their stone cold attitudes worse. Couldn't they have brought in a bucket of water or something to stave the drying out off? The line about "losing their world 200 years ago" was an interesting story that the writers will probably never address.

It was nice that they remembered his super hearing again.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ashez2ashes posted:

I was pretty shocked how easily they seemed ready to let those girls die. I kept thinking the girls looked like they were in their late teens the entire time which only made their stone cold attitudes worse. Couldn't they have brought in a bucket of water or something to stave the drying out off?

I got the impression that they had to submerge themselves in water at least once a day or so. It did seem very cold to just leave the girls to die, but i am not sure how they could explain the way their need to be near water, they certainly need to do something about it with the two Naiad killers, so they don't just die in prison.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
A decent episode, unspectacular case of the week that isn't actively offensive and with some fun details (those chirpy naiads were absolutely adorable). I saw the preview and that it included The Magical Spanish Grandma and promptly had PTSD flashbacks to some of the worst episodes of the show, but we'll see.

One interesting thing: Renard's mother was a hexenbiest and his father human. Given those two things, and the Naiad episode confirming that human dad + naiad mom == naiad, I wonder if Grimm is sidling up to stating that Wesen genes get transmitted through the mother/X chromosomes, since they seem to have an interest in draping some pseudoscientific blanket over the chairs of implausibility.

edit: This would also explain neatly that the creepy goat rapist dude from season 1 was fathering human kids on his victims, which would neatly explain why there weren't massive freakouts as unaware mothers started having their teenage kids woge out and grow horns.

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 17, 2013

Mr. Snazz
Nov 15, 2003

Aces High posted:

everyone in my family does, what's the problem :confused:

Incidentally so now Nick has gone from "I killed someone in a zombie-haze and I feel bad" to "welp, those Naiads will dry out and die and that's too loving bad because they're murderers" and I'm not sure I like that. I'm not fond of emotional whiplash like that and I doubt most others are. Really I'm interested if that kid is actually going to go back to the mute or just ignore her because she's a "mutant"

If her sister did manage to get pregnant with that underwater mer-handie, she'll actually be a "mute aunt".

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Mr. Snazz posted:

If her sister did manage to get pregnant with that underwater mer-handie, she'll actually be a "mute aunt".

:rimshot:

Nice one. But I thought she was deaf, not mute?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think there's no episode this week, but it's back on November 29th.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KilGrey posted:

:rimshot:

Nice one. But I thought she was deaf, not mute?

If you're profoundly deaf from birth you aren't physically mute, but you never learn how to make sounds so it's the same thing. It was pretty stupid when she screamed "No!" at the end.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Jedit posted:

If you're profoundly deaf from birth you aren't physically mute, but you never learn how to make sounds so it's the same thing. It was pretty stupid when she screamed "No!" at the end.

Ahh, that's bs, Hellen Keller learned how to speak and she was both deaf AND blind (I guess that would make it harder or something). Either way deaf people can speak, it just usually comes out a bit weird.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Mukaikubo posted:

One interesting thing: Renard's mother was a hexenbiest and his father human. Given those two things, and the Naiad episode confirming that human dad + naiad mom == naiad, I wonder if Grimm is sidling up to stating that Wesen genes get transmitted through the mother/X chromosomes, since they seem to have an interest in draping some pseudoscientific blanket over the chairs of implausibility.

edit: This would also explain neatly that the creepy goat rapist dude from season 1 was fathering human kids on his victims, which would neatly explain why there weren't massive freakouts as unaware mothers started having their teenage kids woge out and grow horns.

I think you're giving this show way too much credit.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

I think you're giving that post way too much credit.

By this logic Renard is shooting blanks (negating the Adalind baby-daddy drama) and the goat rapist should have been making one in four of his victims pregnant with wesen daughters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BarbarousBertha posted:

By this logic Renard is shooting blanks (negating the Adalind baby-daddy drama) and the goat rapist should have been making one in four of his victims pregnant with wesen daughters.

He doesn't have to be shooting blanks in order to be unable to pass on a matrilineal trait.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

BarbarousBertha posted:

Well, the girl did clearly say that specifically Naiad men were sterile.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

Jedit posted:

She managed a syllable and a half of her own name about forty minutes in, so "No!" was probably not the greatest challenge. It's not like she recited Chaucer or anything.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

LeafyOrb posted:

Nick told her to check his email for his medical report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I can't recall if it's this week or next, but Aunt Marie's Book of Lore is about to be published. That should settle any lingering arguments about how to spell "schlaffenjaeger".

• Locked thread