Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Quick, everyone swap to the classes which use great swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kessel posted:

Oh boy, I can finally get a gunblade and act all emotional and deep at the same time!

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Mesmer is lootmeta.

Ele is dungeonmeta.

Warrior is pvpmeta.

Luckily I have all my bases covered. :smug:

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Kessel posted:

It seems like they've only added this feature to < 80 characters. I bet the chance for precursor drops is the same no matter what, god forbid they gently caress that up even more.

I'm pumped to get the crafted backpacks we saw months ago for the China release.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Traxus IV posted:

You should enter this in the contest, it captures perfectly the spirit of WvWednesdays

Maybe add a few more doritos, though, considering what last weekend's guild missions looked like.

Yo arus let me out of wcb for like 5 minutes so I can do this

Also lmao at those loot changes, guardian will be even more potent for farming because greatswords/staffs both sell for a mint on the TP.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Demaga posted:

I beat the game, at least until they add the greaves and chest to the rewards.

Okay. There hasn't been enough conversation about this. WTF did they add? And where?

[e] Oh, somebody mentioned in guild chat just now that he said "until they add" as if to say he doesn't have them yet.

I Am Frick fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 27, 2014

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

J3ng4 posted:

It seems like they've only added this feature to < 80 characters.

That's how I read it.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

The Machinima Man posted:

Okay. There hasn't been enough conversation about this. WTF did they add? And where?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Radiant_Greaves_Skin

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
Arus, what are your thoughts on engineers being the class most likely to get shield drops?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
This is the most incredible patch in the history of gaming.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zhulik posted:

Arus, what are your thoughts on engineers being the class most likely to get shield drops?

Please don't trigger me.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't trigger me.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Chosen

D-Rider
Dec 18, 2009
So I've been playing around with a guardian in between my rounds of getting dragged through dungeons by various members of SFD, and one question keeps coming to mind: why do all the guardian guide writers I come across have such a hard-on for the focus? Is a block every 45 seconds really that powerful? I feel like I'm missing something very obvious here.

Torch 4 alone seems so much more useful.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

D-Rider posted:

So I've been playing around with a guardian in between my rounds of getting dragged through dungeons by various members of SFD, and one question keeps coming to mind: why do all the guardian guide writers I come across have such a hard-on for the focus? Is a block every 45 seconds really that powerful? I feel like I'm missing something very obvious here.

Torch 4 alone seems so much more useful.

I've noticed plenty of stuff that clowns you for 60%+ of your health and Aegis blocks absolutely any one hit.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Guardian offhands are mostly a case of picking the least bad one rather than something actually good. Torch damage isn't actually particularly great, and the focus defensive abilities are better.

Shields just kind of suck.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Burning isn't a great condition in general either.

MooCowlian posted:

Eat me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Batham posted:

I hope that this doesn't mean that Mesmers will get more chance on cloth + greatswords at level 80.

Ah, there's the real Mesmer buff.

Funny, I was just thinking about that silly loot system in Phantasy Star Online. Anyone remember that? The letters you used in your character name would give you a certain color Section ID, like a little colorful badge. Thing is, your Section ID determined what kind of drops you were most likely to get. That's right: your character name determined the kind of equipment that would be most likely to drop for you. There's a Section ID calculator out there so you can make sure you name your character something that ensures you don't get awful drops.

This is a bit like that only more transparent and with potentially more gameplay effect. Of course, since the article mentioned "leveling players," the whole "you're more likely to find loot you can equip" thing might only apply to items level 79 and lower. That'd be the smart way to do it, otherwise, yeah, if you want to grind for profitable drops, Mesmer's got the best selection.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Pretty sure I'd die of a terrible diet long before I could have enough meals to finish you.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Guardian isn't like a ranger which has all great off hands but focus is excellent so I don't really care.

Focus is Blinds, block and blast finisher all in one. The 3B's as Arus coined it in guild chat when teaching us Guardian builds.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

So did I understand that right: they will add exotic weapon drops and recipes for levels <80?
Awesome.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dropped exotics currently go all the way down to lv62. It just sounds like they're adding more to even lower levels.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

The torch is bad because the focus offers slightly less single target damage in exchange for far superior AoE damage, very strong defensive options and a blast finisher. Mitigation means little in this game, damage avoidance is king and that's exactly what the focus brings with blinds and blocks.

The burning damage added from the torch is negligible because;

1) Condition damage is worthless for the Guardian because you only have reliable access to 1 damaging condition that scales quite badly. I've seen people make the argument that burning actually scales strongly because 1 stack of bleeding scales for less, which is frankly choosing to ignore reality. Any class that can reliably put a stacking (in intensity) condition on someone, can do so in heavy intensity (meaning multiple stacks in one go) in relatively short intervals. So, no, burning scales badly. If you invest everything into condition damage as a Guardian your burns will maybe tick for 800-900, while for any other class that can stack bleeding, torment or confusion will be doing at least 3-4 times that with little effort.

2) The mechanics of conditions aren't working in your favor. Conditions that stack in duration push down lower damaging stacks in favor of higher damaging stacks. What this means is that if both you and someone else apply burning, the person applying the strongest burning (damage wise) will always do his damage first. You'll deal 0 burning damage until the stronger burn stack has worn out and the second another stronger one is reapplied, yours is ignored again.

3) The AoE burning is only 2 pulses, 6 seconds max in other words, and the range is 180, basically melee range.

Batham fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 27, 2014

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Harrow posted:

Ah, there's the real Mesmer buff.

Funny, I was just thinking about that silly loot system in Phantasy Star Online. Anyone remember that? The letters you used in your character name would give you a certain color Section ID, like a little colorful badge. Thing is, your Section ID determined what kind of drops you were most likely to get. That's right: your character name determined the kind of equipment that would be most likely to drop for you. There's a Section ID calculator out there so you can make sure you name your character something that ensures you don't get awful drops.

This is a bit like that only more transparent and with potentially more gameplay effect. Of course, since the article mentioned "leveling players," the whole "you're more likely to find loot you can equip" thing might only apply to items level 79 and lower. That'd be the smart way to do it, otherwise, yeah, if you want to grind for profitable drops, Mesmer's got the best selection.

All we need to do is change up server time to .beats and we're good.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Schpyder posted:

Dropped exotics currently go all the way down to lv62. It just sounds like they're adding more to even lower levels.

Well, that's still very nice.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Where's my mini wardrobe. (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

Where's my mini wardrobe. (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

I know you want to dress up your mini Faren as an undead duck, but keep your desires in check mate.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

MooCowlian posted:

Guardian offhands are mostly a case of picking the least bad one rather than something actually good. Torch damage isn't actually particularly great, and the focus defensive abilities are better.

I wish I took screenshots of the sweet bomb kill I got on Arus with my shield last night while fighting the dumb husk boss in CoE path 2.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus christ. That's over 6 months straight.

More than 6 hours a day, every day, since launch...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lonk posted:

I wish I took screenshots of the sweet bomb kill I got on Arus with my shield last night while fighting the dumb husk boss in CoE path 2.

That was the height of rudeness right there!!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Murgos posted:

I have about a thousand hours more than Mags does, last I checked. :geno:

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I have about a thousand hours more than Mags does, last I checked. :geno:

*Goshawk sits...

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Murgos posted:

Even when I was single and in college I did not have that kind of time. How?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

AFKing through the Pavillion racks up them hours for little effort.

Also I wish guardian focus 5 made it clearer when the blast finisher actually happens, cause I spent ages thinking it only happened if the bubble exploded.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

Also I wish guardian focus 5 made it clearer when the blast finisher actually happens, cause I spent ages thinking it only happened if the bubble exploded.

Holy poo poo.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Illuyankas posted:

AFKing through the Pavillion racks up them hours for little effort.

Yeah I was basically idling in gold pavilions 24-7 for however many months it was around. Basically doubled my time played and I was only actively playing for a few minutes every hour.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Ok EU WvWvWednesday is done (for me at least). I feel like this was a very good team bonding experience as we've discovered sides of each others we didn't know (and not only through ERP!). We played maguuma's savior and started small with a tower.

But my lust for glory wasn't so easily satied and I set my sights on a much more interesting target. After load of trebbing (and impromptu help from our famous esports star Lazy) we managed to grab our garrison back. EAT IT Fort Aspenwood!

I want to thank everyone who tagged along and hope to see even more of you next week!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

It really was a super fun time, we learned a lot about friendship, unity, teamwork, and each others ability to sing Disney songs. Looking forward to next week!

Also my favourite part of that picture is that one super confused looking cat mini.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

We also had some pro MLG duels. We even minded our manners and bowed afterwards.

SciFunk
Mar 2, 2006
Libertas per scientiam.

You left out the most important part of any WvWednesday, EU or not. Thanks for the excellent leadership Commander Vincenzo! Honorable mention to Lazy for helping aim the trebs that made our victory possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

SciFunk posted:

You left out the most important part of any WvWednesday, EU or not. Thanks for the excellent leadership Commander Vincenzo! Honorable mention to Lazy for helping aim the trebs that made our victory possible.

Uhg pubbies, stop losing our castles, now it's stop taking our castles.

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?

• Locked thread