Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hypnolobster posted:

This could actually turn out to be reasonable old car maintenance stuff instead of the usual nightmare. I feel hopeful that it might not be a terribly wild ride.

That said, an ACVW tried pretty hard to kill you so who knows.

The 6 months I owned that car before I tried to sell it the first time were fantastic. I got bored and wanted something new, listed it, andliterally the day after I listed it it caught on fire. then the widows moved in. Then it got REALLY interesting.

IT KNEW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

I tend to stop and look if I see a Honda this old, I've always wondered what they're actually like (besides adorable. :3: )

Phones being a dick trying to add this into my other post so apologies for the double post. It's like driving a roller skate. Wouldn't say go cart, but its got this scrappy puppy dog eagerness to rev and row gears that just plain puts a smile on my face. I'll need a clutch, it grinds all 4 gears just a hair with it wound all the way to max adjustment so once I fix that and the on throttle sputtering/flat spots it's going to be a hilarious amount of sub 40mph fun. Driving in thd wet on 12s though can be terrifying because the tendency is to just lock up and slide. Get used to threshhold breaking.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Drove to work this morning and saw the cutest little engine heat spot and look at the hood vents actually venting heat :3:

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
You know, it weighs so little and has such small contact patches that there's basically no reason not to run the raciest tires you can fit. And then rallycross it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, only the finest 155R12 :buddy:

Actually the lug pattern is weird. It's like 4x120, larger than the later Civics. Hankook makes some studdable snows in my size though, and I saw a set of 12" CVCC alloys on craigslist... Clutch parts labor including new flywheel looks to be about $200 so I'm just gonna order them up and knock it out.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Such a great little car. I hope you don't set it on fire and then fill it with spiders.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Comedy option hella flush it? :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
4x120 is weird. I don't think I've ever heard of another car with those. Are the wheel bearings like ridiculously oversized motorcycle leftovers or something?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

4x120 is weird. I don't think I've ever heard of another car with those. Are the wheel bearings like ridiculously oversized motorcycle leftovers or something?

Don't old Ford Focuses run 4x120?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

4x120 brings up nothing on eBay for me, that's impressive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, standard euro-spec Ford was 4x108, so I'm guessing they'd be that.

Pain in the arse, really, that they're 4-stud. 5 by 120 is pretty common.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Even weird fuckin' Subarus and Peugeots are 4x140. Google says the first gen Accord also has 4x120 but that's absolutely no help.

You're gonna have to run an adapter.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That would be loving awesome-looking with 13x8 Diamond Racing wheels and appropriate Hoosiers. Literal roller-skate.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay now its my car.

Got my Civic owners manual from Ebay today too, tried to take a picture but someone saw I was trying to do something so had to take a look. Decided to use the photo anyways.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Jesus christ that shifter ball :stare:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

13 INCH DICK posted:

Okay now its my car.

Jesus, there's tempting fate and then there's this.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Jesus christ that shifter ball :stare:

Pfft, that's nothing. In Australia we have those on our gear knobs - still alive

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Screw adapters!
With such a big pattern, redrill to 4x100! It would look awesome with some super light weight 14in civic wheels.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Today I decided to just replace all the vaccuum lines.

Swollen line.

Hm.

work in progress.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:stare:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I can't believe you even got this car home under it's own power. It's going to be SO HAPPY for a little while until you find some other horrorshow maintenance to do. :v:

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

My Dad had one of these when I was growing up as a beater commuter. It had the retrofit "cruise control" which consisted of some kind of box dangling from the dash by a wire, with this twisting lockable knob connected to the throttle cable, so as the accelerator pedal was depressed and released this knob would twist wildly around.

I remember two different times it made me cry (I was like 6), once by stalling right in the middle of an intersection during a very marginal left turn in front of oncoming traffic, and again by completely failing in the midst of a monsoon downpour while plowing through flooded streets.

The car also took 2nd place in the 1989 "Worst Car Stereo in Tucson" contest. Despite its inability to tune to anything but the AM stations in the 500s and its propensity for turning its speaker cones into confetti, it was somehow beaten.

In summary, gently caress that car.

If the NLA shock mounts are the rubber bushing type, you could try the Window Weld bushing trick (common on Hondas).

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hooked up a vacuum gauge after all was said and done because it actually felt like it had even more pronounced flat spots in the powerband and more obvious stumbling, and vacuum was a rock solid 21" at idle. Rev it up to 3kish by ear and vacuum drops to 20 but holds solid without flutters even when it stumbles. Wrap the throttle and vacuum spikes towards zero and bounces right back to 21" at idle. Carb rebuild is definitely in order I think, it looked like the main jet was leaking a tiny amount of fuel when it was off and the air cleaner was off. I need to get the manual for this thing because there's an open hose on the bottom of the air cleaner and I can't find where it goes but it lets unfiltered air directly in behind the filter.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

13 INCH DICK posted:

Hooked up a vacuum gauge after all was said and done because it actually felt like it had even more pronounced flat spots in the powerband and more obvious stumbling, and vacuum was a rock solid 21" at idle. Rev it up to 3kish by ear and vacuum drops to 20 but holds solid without flutters even when it stumbles. Wrap the throttle and vacuum spikes towards zero and bounces right back to 21" at idle. Carb rebuild is definitely in order I think, it looked like the main jet was leaking a tiny amount of fuel when it was off and the air cleaner was off. I need to get the manual for this thing because there's an open hose on the bottom of the air cleaner and I can't find where it goes but it lets unfiltered air directly in behind the filter.

I don't know man, carbs seem like such a pain in the rear end. Vacuum, setting floats, it's a ton of effort. I think you should do it the smart way:

In all seriousness though, what sort of carburetor is that on there? Are we talking like a "constant depression" SU-style unit which is mechanically simple, or is it more like a "standard" carburetor? The only reason I ask is because I get this odd feeling you're going to find that this thing is a bit more worn down than you might suspect initially, and with ethanol in modern gas it probably has all the old internal seals eaten away. Unless, that is, I'm talking out of my rear end because I'm still not 100% sure on the relationship between old rubber and ethanol.

Either way, I'm jealous of this car. It's unique, you rarely see them and that's worth the scrotum-smashing right there.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It appears to be the original Mikuni 2 barrel and it's oddly shiny for its age yet the visible rubber bits are cracked. Personally, I like carbs. Not because I'm one of those grey beards that is afraid of fuel injection, but because I like that extra little bit of russian roulette will it start back up after sitting in the sun on a hot day after a freeway run kind of gambling. Rebuild kits with gaskets are like 9 bucks on Rockauto, it's a dramatically simpler carb than the 1.3CVCC and 1.5CVCC carbs I've had before. Rockauto even carries both brass and phenolic floats for the 2bbl Mikuni for $6 each!

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I really, really like the old 1g Civics. You don't see those death traps much any more, even here in the South, they all rusted away or were creamed in the early 80s by Eldorados or Granadas. Hope you don't get in an accident, babe, I imagine your body would go through a process similar to mechanically separated chicken (13 inch slim jims all around, AISS 2013!)

Oh yeah, remember, with the CVCC engine you can use regular OR that new unleaded gasoline I've heard so much about.

pants in my pants fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 27, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

13" you have dependant personality disorder and you need individual psychotherapy with the goal of challenging your ill-concieved notions about what cars you actually want. Also, antipsychotics when you enter one of these phases.

Also I love this car. I saw one in my tuner's shop a couple days ago but it was getting a motor swap to some newer VTEC.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well to be fair I only sold my reliable daily driver because I was behind on all my bills and rent was due and my job situation exploded so the only reasonable choice left for me was to funnel everything I had into this car rather than pay off anything.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Well to be fair I only sold my reliable daily driver because I was behind on all my bills and rent was due and my job situation exploded so the only reasonable choice left for me was to funnel everything I had into this car rather than pay off anything.

I've heard this called the "bling bling" lifestyle by Top Gear.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How is firestone hell hole? Is there plenty of hell and holes?

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
See what I'm waiting for here is the inventory. After the last one, I'm expecting a zip gun or a Makarov, a bladed or blunt instrument with blood on it, a beer case from a no-longer-available brand of beer filled with cheap skin mags from the 70s, and at least one bone of possibly hominid origin. I'm expecting true gold here especially since you spoke of difficulty opening the trunk!

This is the sort of thing that makes me say "What are you doing with your dick and that ball-peen hammer?!?" but you sort of beat me to that punch in the OP, so all I'll say now is that I'm glad you have such commitment to our entertainment value for our tenbux!

Truly, though, good luck with this little thing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My driver's door latch mechanism just failed in the closed position and you'd think I'd be able to free it up given there are no door panels but that seems not to be the case!

E: got it open.

So ah yes this appears to be the problem.

And what the gently caress took a poo poo on my car? It looks like seeds and grains etc but when I went to scrape it off it had this bizarre texture like a fresh marshmallow.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 28, 2013

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

13 INCH DICK posted:

And what the gently caress took a poo poo on my car? It looks like seeds and grains etc but when I went to scrape it off it had this bizarre texture like a fresh marshmallow.

Obviously desiccated spider eggs.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Did you taste it? It could be a funky looking marshmallow.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It actually does look like those weird marshmallows you can get at Winn-Dixie. They're loving delicious, despite all appearances.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

13 INCH DICK posted:

Are you still drinking a 6 a day? I'm not judging, I do the same. Just curious if that's a money eater or not.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Careful, it might be The Stuff

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx5APcVoE8Y&t=62s

Oh, same color!

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

You Am I posted:

Careful, it might be The Stuff

It's 13 INCH DICK we're talking about here... The only white yoghurty substance around him is most definitely not a sentient alien being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna say owl pellet. Maybe. Are there mouse bones in there? Maybe that's fur.

• Locked thread