Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

West SAAB Story posted:

I actually uttered this aloud.
This. "Haha wait- NO what oh god why again"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Fifty Three posted:

This. "Haha wait- NO what oh god why again"

Yes. But to be honest, I utter that with almost every AI thread.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
Automotive Masochism: Substance Abuse and Tetanus forum *throws bottle

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Shoulda gone with an even smaller car like this '71 AN600. :getin:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4168674579.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 6, 2013

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

13 INCH DICK posted:

Rock auto has loaded front control arms (bushings, ball joint) on close out with only a couple left for $31 each. Also has my complete steering rack for $115 with bellows boots and tie rods if I can't find mine through work. Also has the other suspension bits I need, I could seriously refresh almost everything aside from the front strut mounts. Also found a complete molded carpet kit for 73-79 hatchback Civic 1200s for $115-160 depending on color and material choice.

Start a kickstarter. I would throw :10bux: just to keep you working on this car and mired in your own self torture project.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well cash flow starts coming back in tomorrow after the interruption/catching up on rent and there's a few things I'm gonna get. Oh, and the repair guide showed up for my car like the day after it shipped, but it's for the CVCC only :v: lotta good chassis information but basically everything on engine or drivability is useless to me haha. The cat loves sniffing the poo poo out of it though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Crap, I thought I got the right one :( Oh well. It was really cheap compared with what I expected.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coredump posted:

Start a kickstarter. I would throw :10bux: just to keep you working on this car and mired in your own self torture project.

A 13" dickstarter? :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not at all knocking it, its very useful as is and was free :v: a good time was had by all.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
So I'm like 2000 posts behind in the chat thread, if it's worth repeating, what happened to the new shop you were going to and did you end up back at Firestone?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

So I'm like 2000 posts behind in the chat thread, if it's worth repeating, what happened to the new shop you were going to and did you end up back at Firestone?

Yes, and Yes, respectively.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug
I don't know how I missed this thread. Dick, I endorse your new purchase, that CV was a bit boring.
Somehow, you end up owning cars my old man also used to own in his lifetime (type 3, the same model Corolla and now the same model Civic) so your adventures with those shitboxes has an added value to me, nostalgia. Carry on, lad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Snowdens Secret posted:

The short version is the new shop turned him into a janitor.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

The short version is the new shop turned him into a janitor.

I believe the term was "shop bitch."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, that about sums it up. Worked so hard on shop support work that it would have been impossible to break my 25 hrs a week guarantee, so it was like pushing brooms for $12 hourly. Ordered some stuff for the civic, we'll see when it arrives.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I saw this guy in Marin the other day and thought of you.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I've got an N600 in my backyard.

Now that I've got a decent job, I think I'm going to get it running!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

13 INCH DICK posted:

it was like pushing brooms for $12 hourly

I make $5.50/hour + $1.10 per delivery + tips. And get to use my own car for deliveries. Did I mention my employer charges customers $2.59 to have me bring food to their door? I can put over 200 miles on my car during a busy shift.

I'd gladly push a broom for $12/hr, if it's a consistent schedule. :sigh: On a really really good night, my tips and wages combined may average out to $25+/hour, but my overall average puts me at about $11-15/hour... with me driving 800+ miles for that, and paying for my own gas + car maintenance.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 9, 2013

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Does this mean you smoked that mystery substance for nothing?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KKKLIP ART posted:

Does this mean you smoked that mystery substance for nothing?

I wouldn't say that he did it for nothing - it probably just hasn't had a chance to metastasize yet.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

I make $5.50/hour + $1.10 per delivery + tips. And get to use my own car for deliveries. Did I mention my employer charges customers $2.59 to have me bring food to their door? I can put over 200 miles on my car during a busy shift.

I'd gladly push a broom for $12/hr, if it's a consistent schedule. :sigh: On a really really good night, my tips and wages combined may average out to $25+/hour, but my overall average puts me at about $11-15/hour... with me driving 800+ miles for that, and paying for my own gas + car maintenance.

Get out of that poo poo and join a trade.
Hit up a union and go through their apprenticeship. You'll probably have to cut your delivery hours some and live frugally but in the end it will be worth it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

I thought you quit and got into IT? Pizza delivery is a great way to ruin your car but you know this. You should get into waiting tables. Tips are way better and your car sits safe and sound in the parking lot.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

mafoose posted:

Get out of that poo poo and join a trade.
Hit up a union and go through their apprenticeship. You'll probably have to cut your delivery hours some and live frugally but in the end it will be worth it.

Even the union laborers get paid $25/hr + full benefits to sweep and move supplies around here. One of the laborers I was talking to on my last job said he made $75,000 last year because of all the OT.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Even the union laborers get paid $25/hr + full benefits to sweep and move supplies around here. One of the laborers I was talking to on my last job said he made $75,000 last year because of all the OT.

Where does one go and sign up to be a union laborer? Serious question.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Use your Google-Fu to find your local. Call and/or go in and ask about joining their union as an apprentice.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Seriously, as hilarious as reading about your personal tragedies is, there's a handful of AI'ers that need to get a decent job/trade.

E:I know I sound like an entitled bootstraps rear end in a top hat, there are better ways of saying it but str you need a better job. And by the sound of it, in a less lovely state.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 9, 2013

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Keep in mind that its not as cut and dry and "join union, get paid". What a Union worker makes varies highly based on the local, the trade, and the state. Florida ironworker apprentices start at $12 an hour, Seattle apprentices start at $25ish. Because Washington, and Seattle in particular, are strong union areas. If you live in an area where unions are week, chances are you will be doing better than most non union laborers, but not well at all compared to others.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Cakefool posted:

Seriously, as hilarious as reading about your personal tragedies is, there's a handful of AI'ers that need to get a decent job/trade.

E:I know I sound like an entitled bootstraps rear end in a top hat, there are better ways of saying it but str you need a better job. And by the sound of it, in a less lovely state.

The social justice assholes from gibbis don't dare venture here, so you can tell it like it is. Getting a job is a bitch though if you don't have any marketable skills. I left out degree because I know some people with degrees who couldn't even get a barista job. Skilled labor is where it's at for many of us, and this applies to information workers as well. Most of the regulars here seem like pretty smart people, and there's always someone out there who will give a smart individual a chance.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hey STR clean out your PMs bro

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah you're right it's almost never that simple.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
My thing is that time and time again i get told "Yea getting in is next to impossible, you have to know somebody" Its the most off putting aspect of it. I got myself into a semi unofficial apprenticeship at the moment. Basically being a shop assistant to a guy that owns his own shop. Im his only employee and get do learn how to do everything. In exchange, he pays me 10 bucks an hour. Ive only been there about 2 months so far so hopefully he will give me a little raise come spring.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Keep a record of the sort of stuff you learn to do, makes it much easier when someone asks what you can do/have done and you go "um, a bit of everything"

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'd also add that it's a good idea to practice interviewing. I personally love going to interviews (yes, there is most likely something wrong with me) and am completely comfortable talking to multiple managers and explaining the same thing over and over again to several people in a few hours time. It's good fun to go from random person to someone they need to hire in a short time.

Lots of people suck at interviewing and that's a huge detriment. I've been part of the hiring process for quite a few people over the years and can usually eke out what I want to get from an interviewee if they sound competent but a lot of managers won't bother. If you can't make a good case for yourself pretty quickly you're screwed.
When my friends are looking for jobs we go through mock interviews a few times (I'll approach the interview at different angles depending upon how much I know about what they are even trying to get a job for which usually gets clearer the more I hear them speak) just to get them prepped and ready for the questions that will probably be asked. It's been a great help from what they've said.

So yeah, get a good succinct resume together and hone your interview skills. At that point you'll be ahead of 95% of the rest of the schmoes.

Anyway, cool project Honda. I agree that it's probably Weber time unless you can find an NOS carb hiding in a warehouse someplace.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Hey STR clean out your PMs bro

:doh:

Fixed

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Do you want the Cursed Skull back?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

ExecuDork posted:

Do you want the Cursed Skull back?

You're alive!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

mutt2jeff posted:

Keep in mind that its not as cut and dry and "join union, get paid". What a Union worker makes varies highly based on the local, the trade, and the state. Florida ironworker apprentices start at $12 an hour, Seattle apprentices start at $25ish. Because Washington, and Seattle in particular, are strong union areas. If you live in an area where unions are week, chances are you will be doing better than most non union laborers, but not well at all compared to others.

Pretty much this, but at least locally you only have to buy books and the classes are paid for, and the on the job training is PAID.
Seriously, I know too many people in their 30s moaning and griping about being a delivery driver when there ARE opportunities out there.

Just pick a trade you could see yourself being interested in. There's a million different ones. Electricians, welders, plumbers, sheetmetal, etc etc

Full disclosure here: I am not a union member at my work (I'm a machinist), I feel that they HAD power and actually amounted to something at one point, but now they're just a shield for the lazy assholes to work for the lowest common denominator. On the other hand, I have a friend going through the electrician's apprenticeship at a local union and he REALLY enjoys it and sees it going somewhere.

mafoose fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 10, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I was adding that if your cool with working some whacky hours, the Railroads are always hiring people, especially in Texas. The money is fantastic, good retirement, the work is cake (seriously, you spend most of your day walking around and throwing rocks at geese). I personally know a couple of guys are making 6 figures coming out of training, and mostly your just sitting on your rear end looking out a window.

If you want more of a sane life, signal maintainer, locomotive repair, and carman are pretty easy rear end gigs. You won't make as much as train crews, but its pretty gravy. Lots of people bitch about it here, but no one ever leaves. I believe strawberry and bt4com can attest to the life style as well.

The only thing - keep your rear end out of the drugs. That's it. They test at random and have no issues kicking your rear end to the curb.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They test at random and have no issues kicking your rear end to the curb.

Getting fired after testing positive for owl pellets should get your name engraved on some plaque down at the labour relations board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slung Blade posted:

Getting fired after testing positive for owl pellets should get your name engraved on some plaque down at the labour relations board.

The funny part is.... I am sure this has happened. You can't make this poo poo up out here, some of the crazy poo poo that happens.

• Locked thread