Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Thread title.

Nah, applies to too many posters here. :downsrim:

You're Reese Bobby, aren't you? When things get too nice (new job, reliable CV) you just have to get kicked out of an Applebees or you get too itchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think you have a new goal.

From BaT / eBay

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AI, meet LP.

LP, consider this a Let's Play of someone's actual life.

Merry Christmas!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

paragon1 posted:

Does the flat rate pay scale factor in the make and year of the vehicle for labor time?

"The book rate" is specific to the car - i.e. a blower fan might book at one hour on a 1975 GM truck, but at 8 hours on a 1988 Volvo 240.

This does not prevent it from being anywhere from "wrong" to "hilariously wrong" to "criminally wrong", however. In many cases the book was written around dealership service departments with access to special tools and loads of training on the specific car in question. It also doesn't account for variance in individual vehicles as they age (i.e. rust).

The flip side is that if you (the tech) get really lucky, you get a bunch of jobs on a day that book at longer than they actually take, so you get paid more hours than you physically worked. Pretty sure that's as rare as a unicorn fart.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I dunno, it seems like some cars / manufacturers are built with it in mind. The upshot of electric-everything on a new Honda is that you have fewer accessories to drive, making the engine package much smaller:

Especially relative to the remarkably huge engine bay:

I swear it's almost like they wanted the option to stick a V6 in there. Haven't had to do anything more complex than change the oil yet, but the air filters will be due on the next change and according to the internet that might take longer to open the box the filters come in than any other step.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

James Woods.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

13 INCH DICK posted:

Did my phone lock my own thread or did IOC for some reason? :psyduck:

The logs posted:

2014-01-09 18:09:38 13 INCH DICK Thread opened
2014-01-09 17:57:22 13 INCH DICK Thread closed

Sure wasn't me, I worried that you'd snapped (worse)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not a vacuum-operated secondary, right? :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As much as it sucks to lose the spider, hopefully its powers will manifest on the new "owner" and cause them to be swarmed by black widows and brown recluses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, that loving sucks. :smithicide:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

13 INCH DICK posted:

SUCK MY THIRTEEN INCH DICK YOU loving PIECE OF poo poo

I can only imagine the glorious, triumphant swearing that must've occurred when this broke loose.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

13 INCH DICK posted:

Not as much as one would think because I'm at work with a spring bug, a decent fever, completely congested and flushed like I spent a week at the beach and the only thing keeping me vertical right now is nicotine and hatred

Whatever this poo poo is that's going around, it's kept me mostly in bed for the past 24 hours, and downing all of the ibuprofen I can stand.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd re-wire it so that the factory switch activates a relay, and then wire your manual switch in parallel to trigger the relay. Otherwise running full load from the fan to the cabin to a switch and back is going to add an awful lot of high-current wiring.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ranger speedos aren't keyed but the way people swap them usually is to hook up a battery to get it to point at a specific speed (doesn't matter what it is, just note it) and then when reinstalling the needle, hook the battery up and aim the needle at that same speed.

Probably won't help much on a mechanical speedo, unless you want to rig up the shaft to something you can spin at a constant, repeatable speed :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

They can even do chrome now I think.

It's less "chrome" and more "vaguely shiny metal". Easier than polishing, and a lot cheaper / more durable than actual chrome, but it doesn't hold a candle to the real (and very expensive these days) deal.

Believe me, I wish that wasn't the case. Pretty much all of the chrome on the front of my GMC could use a re-do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

Guess who's rear end decided to give me a call and leave me a voicemail today?

It wasn't a butt dial.

It was the spiders.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

13 INCH DICK posted:

Not really, no. I don't feel the need to brag about the size of my penis.

More of a trouser clockspider, really.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Because a compressor rusting from the inside out is a time bomb, and very difficult to check out on your own.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That takes a very close second to the Audi UFO brakes for sheer :wtf: factor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Today on Hot Rod Garage, we're going to show you a new welder, a ring and pinion swap in my wife's El Camino, and this guy is going to show us the best way to redecorate the interior of a small truck."

I'd watch that on repeat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Luckily it had a brand new transmission with good synchros.

Emphasis on "had".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This is even more frightening than the fact that Jeep used some Lucas parts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Officer Dick: Firestone Lifetime alignment, worth it or no? Do you have to get any suspension work done at Firestone, or can I buy a lifetime alignment, then 500 miles later change some tie rod ends at home, and get it realigned without having to wait for 6000 miles to go by?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Stardotstar posted:

To extend this epic derail of a thread which is at best topically challenged....

I realize that this thread's direction is often nebulous at best and the discussion seems to be staying civil so far... buuuut can we save the D&D for either the chat thread or the actual D&D subforum?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure in measures other than "insanity per dollar", a K24 swap into the Civic would be a better use of your time than prolonged-suicide-by-Biturbo, and might cost less too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tractors too, eh? :haw:

While they don't give you any sane way to filter it, Fram does publish a whole catalog complete with filter specs. At a quick glance a Chevette filter seems like it might work too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The tricky thing seems to be the combination of thread and gasket diameters. There are other M20-thread filters, including at least one that is common enough to get more than just the basic Fram PHxxxx part, but most of them have a much narrower gasket surface.

With that said, the absolute worst-case scenario here, even if those filters disappear, would be having to get a custom adapter machined up to fit either a different filter directly, or just to give you some AN fittings so you can run a hose to a remote-mount and run something like a PH8A.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tlarn posted:

My dad does this. He has like three spare oil filters for his and his wife's cars, each.

I started doing this when I found it was much cheaper to order filters for my MS3 in bulk than to buy them locally. Now it's just nice to have one less thing to need to buy when oil change time comes around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

has anyone swapped a motorcycle engine in to one of these?

Being an early Honda, you could probably argue that it had a motorcycle engine from the factory.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

thebigcow posted:

You could buy it and put a small block chevy in it. ~LMAO~

More accurately, one worth a drat, since that thing makes a whopping 185hp.

Do it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think the radiators are actually still obtainable, since they're now considered an easy-to-get upgrade for Opel GT owners :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe there'd be some way to like... take a plaster cast of the cap, and then make copies of it. Presumably out of lead. Or maybe get some nerd to scan it and print 3d copies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3t-jBATM0w

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm going to guess only one of the two drivers realized they were "racing".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Im gonna reiterate you should get a push button but add that it should be a retro pull cord from an old lamp you have hanging from the ceiling.

You're oh-so-close to the proper way he should start this thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

It isn't when you take the old ones home with you.

I think in some cases they're supposed to charge you the fee on the new tire whether they're disposing your old one or not... i.e. paying for the fact that the new tire will someday need to be disposed of properly

Also, I'm assuming you meant to black out the customer data in the first image so I went ahead and did that for you :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For once I do not like where this is going. :ohdear:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Siochain posted:

Witness that poo poo. Kids being awesome is awesome hahah.

Seriously, that kid is awaited in Valhalla.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Aren't SnapOn tools basically a gigantic racket? I don't get why people pay those prices, at all. You have a car, there are stores where tools are sold, and if that doesn't work, there's still Amazon

I don't think you understand the time constraints of "flat rate tech".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

He's gonna pay you back by recommending you, 14" Lexus Expert, for a starter replacement on an LS400

Or on a Northstar, which is also in need of head bolts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Did anyone tell you what you're actually doing to it yet?

I think that's the job of the voices haunting 14 INCH's head.

• Locked thread