Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread disregard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Some realllllly rough writing and acting, especially involving the two Asian guest stars, but the climax was pretty good and the serialized mythology elements are interesting enough to keep me on board for now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah it didn't, but it sounded just like him

I'm pretty sure that was not Jeffrey Combs, it may have beeb I don't know.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hollis posted:

I'm pretty sure that was not Jeffrey Combs, it may have beeb I don't know.
Yeah it was Cullen Douglas

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

soapgish posted:

Was that Titus Welliver reprising his ITEM 47 character?

Yes. Hopefully he'll eventually be more than a talking head as shown in the preview but it's great that they're going to the bullpen instead of calling up a rookie.

I enjoyed this week's guest star over last week's who couldn't emote, even though generic mutant man pretty much whined the entire time about his own street performance hobby not being glamorous enough. Really flaccid stuff, but the building of Centipede feels strong and natural, like the character progression is becoming. The cheap-feeling sets really need to go, but I'll keep coming back.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm surprised how sympathetic Skye was for SHIELD, given her boyfriend's statements about how Shield stood for everything they were against. I mean, I know that she's main cast and therefore has to be sympathetic, but it felt like she was defending them a bit much given her stated backstory.

I did like how she still got a dressing down, even after saving the team, and she got a bracelet too. Even if it is just a token, it shows that there are consequences.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm surprised how sympathetic Skye was for SHIELD, given her boyfriend's statements about how Shield stood for everything they were against. I mean, I know that she's main cast and therefore has to be sympathetic, but it felt like she was defending them a bit much given her stated backstory.

I did like how she still got a dressing down, even after saving the team, and she got a bracelet too. Even if it is just a token, it shows that there are consequences.

I assume that at least some part of Skye could believe her parents were SHIELD agents that were KIA.

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

Skye might have been defending SHIELD because she knows they were being monitored.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lord Chumley posted:

They kept calling them Centipede.
I think Centipede is just the name of the project, specifically referring to that centipede looking thing the dudes in the pilot were implanted with. I bet they'll probably zoom out in the season finale to reveal its just a part of some larger piece of dumb comic book business.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I like that they're working in a clairvoyant. The sooner Dr Strange makes it in to the mainstream Marvel cineverse, the better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No you see holding them without rights is for their own good because a man is in danger. gently caress the law, we are SHIELD.

Aside from that, definitely the best episode to date. RIP redhead doctor.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 23, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well, they're working in the Clairvoyant. But Strange is part of Marvel's non-mutant lineup (thank God) so his movie has potential. I thought they'd be opening up Marvel's Mystic Arcana in this episode (with the street magician who discovers actual magic)... but then they revealed that radiation gave him mutanpsychic powers. As a big Dr Strange fan, this was a slight letdown.

As far as the Google's concerned the Clairvoyant an Iron Maiden song and not a Marvel character. So I'm interested to see where this goes.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No you see holding them without rights is for their own good because a man is in danger. gently caress the law, we are SHIELD.

Normal laws don't really apply to SHIELD, and not to mention the guy did act against them by hacking their system.

And on top of that, Skye knows that her team is being serious when they say some guy's life is literally being threatened as they speak. The difference between her and her boyfriend, and why she sided with SHIELD when arguing with him, was that the boyfriend is arguing from a position of ignorance and pure idealism. She knows that SHIELD isn't as bad as they once believed, so it'd be pretty frustrating to sit there and not point out that their old beliefs aren't as accurate as he still believes they are.

The urgency of a life on the line makes one a bit more pragmatic pretty quickly.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 23, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^Another great answer, if not a better one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's the complicated nature of the situation, though; it's easy to say "civil liberties above all else" when you're not in the poo poo and you're not holding yourself responsible for someone's life, and that's what Skye's going through. I'm not saying it's an ethically sound argument; in fact, if the show holds fast to a simple Just World position (I doubt this, given Whedon's own political views, but I can see any network show whitewashing the hard questions in favor of entertainment), then yes, it'll be a valid criticism to level against the show. But while it may be a morally questionable development, I felt it was certainly an emotionally sound one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Depending on what faction this ends up being, there's a psychic it could be named Mentallo that would be with Hydra. If the faction is AIM then it might be MODOK. Probably wouldn't look like he does in the comics though. But I think a MODOK who uses calculations to predict the future but makes him look clairvoyant might fit the show's tone, although with the way they said ESP doesn't exist we may also get proof that it does.

And is the bracelet supposed to shut down electronics like Coulson implied? That would sort of take away what Skye is best at if so. But then it also might mean Coulson isn't a robot or something. I do hope they'll give a bigger hint to what his deal is. It's nice to have little clues each episode, but it'll get frustrating if it isn't addressed more directly soon and not just as an end of season cliffhanger or something.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

And is the bracelet supposed to shut down electronics like Coulson implied? That would sort of take away what Skye is best at if so.

I would imagine they can easily disable the bracelet when they need her skills.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

And is the bracelet supposed to shut down electronics like Coulson implied? That would sort of take away what Skye is best at if so. But then it also might mean Coulson isn't a robot or something. I do hope they'll give a bigger hint to what his deal is. It's nice to have little clues each episode, but it'll get frustrating if it isn't addressed more directly soon and not just as an end of season cliffhanger or something.

It's more of a control bracelet, it seems, tracking you and interacting with the environment around you as SHIELD sees fit. If they're cool with you being around computers, you'll be able to use computers. If they don't want you listening to your iPod, the poo poo'll short your iPod if you try to use it.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

The secret organization could also turn out to be Roxxon Energy Corp.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Definitely the best ep so far, in my opinion.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Holy crap that scientist woman's death was brutal and graphic. What is this show rated, again? You'd think Coulson might have stopped firing after the fourth or fifth tranq-bullet melted instantly. Bloodthirsty bastard must have just wanted an excuse to ice a dude. "Oh oops guess I'm empty, grab the explody-juice May!" :unsmigghh:

Good to see some character development. I actually cared a little bit about Skye's story in this episode. The parent thing has great potential, I can only hope it leads to something totally Fantastic or Amazing or Astonishing. Hell, even Coulson's "What's wrong with me?" plot had some decent pathos this time, and May actually got to exhibit some personality.

Fitzsimmons were a total whiff, though. "But I've been a work acquaintance of Skye for almost a month, how could she not tell me her life story and deepest secrets?" :cry: I guess it's believable if they want to make him look like a pathetic, annoying creep, but I don't think that's what they were going for. Actually it wasn't just them, I think this is the first time in any Whedon show that I was annoyed by the "clever & quirky!" dialogue.

Despite those minor annoyances, though, I thought it was a great episode that continues to improve and move in the right directions. Raina is a great new character and ten times better than the Centipede scientist they killed off.

moths posted:

I thought they'd be opening up Marvel's Mystic Arcana in this episode (with the street magician who discovers actual magic)... but then they revealed that radiation gave him mutanpsychic powers.

It's kinda hilarious that they're allowed to have characters that are exactly the same as mutants, as long as they're not born with the power and aren't technically a mutant. "What, mutant? Nah, I'm a mutate, it's totally different." I wonder if the guy from this episode was a tip of the hat to Radioactive Man, an actual Chinese super-powered dude with vaguely similar powers & origin.

moths posted:

As far as the Google's concerned the Clairvoyant an Iron Maiden song and not a Marvel character. So I'm interested to see where this goes.

Also interesting since Coulson said SHIELD doesn't have any knowledge of anyone with any kind of power like that. (I think?)

Preview talk: Was that Titus Welliver? drat I love that actor. He was in one of the movie One-Shots, right? Awesome to see some more tie-ins like that.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I've been wracking my brain trying to think if there's any "established" villain whose gimmick would make them notice the girl's black floral print dress. The guy in prison did make a point to say he liked it, and her reply of "I knew you would" makes it seem even more significant.

I swear, if the Big Bad of this season turns out to be Plantman I'm gonna be so cheesed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mirage posted:

I've been wracking my brain trying to think if there's any "established" villain whose gimmick would make them notice the girl's black floral print dress. The guy in prison did make a point to say he liked it, and her reply of "I knew you would" makes it seem even more significant.

I swear, if the Big Bad of this season turns out to be Plantman I'm gonna be so cheesed.

Speculation: Rose maybe?

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 23, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Depending on what faction this ends up being, there's a psychic it could be named Mentallo that would be with Hydra. If the faction is AIM then it might be MODOK. Probably wouldn't look like he does in the comics though. But I think a MODOK who uses calculations to predict the future but makes him look clairvoyant might fit the show's tone, although with the way they said ESP doesn't exist we may also get proof that it does.

Mentallo was a recruit from SHIELD's ESP division so that'd pretty much be perfect with SHIELD's whole "what are you talking about, of course there's no such thing as ESP" policy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You joke, but that is absolutely the SHIELD mentality. They kinda are arrogant assholes who think that they know what's good for you better than you do. Remember that SHIELD's plan in the movie-world was to use the Abomination on the Avengers team instead of the Hulk, and it's really only because of Tony Stark and Coulson that that didn't happen.

Mirage posted:

I took that to mean that she might have some clairvoyance/mentalism of her own, but your idea probably makes more sense. Either way, yeah, it felt like more than a throw-away line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

XboxPants posted:

I took that to mean that she might have some clairvoyance/mentalism of her own, but your idea probably makes more sense. Either way, yeah, it felt like more than a throw-away line.

Being that it was the sting of the episode I'm pretty sure it was some kind of hint towards his identity. So feel free to speculate if you want on that until we find out. Just no huge comic derails please guys. Also, the spoiler policy on speculation is something we're all familiar with. But I don't mind if for things like this, where it might be a character reveal down the line, if you speculate using spoiler tags. Be sure you just let people know it's speculation outside of those tags.

Don't do this with every person that pops up on the show though. I'm only saying this because the way they set it up actually invites speculation on this person's identity.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

XboxPants posted:

You joke, but that is absolutely the SHIELD mentality. They kinda are arrogant assholes who think that they know what's good for you better than you do. Remember that SHIELD's plan in the movie-world was to use the Abomination on the Avengers team instead of the Hulk, and it's really only because of Tony Stark and Coulson that that didn't happen.

That's not really accurate though. The World Security Council, the shadowy guys in suits who wanted to nuke New York, are the ones who wanted the Abomination for the Avengers. Nick Fury thought it was stupid and terrible. It wasn't like SHIELD was all on-board with that plan but whoever the World Security Council are, they have the authority to override Nick Fury on matters like that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I am glad this episode happened so that people can finally shut up about there being 'no arc progression'

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Liked the episode, but I think dialogue-wise it was the worst one yet. Not just going to list all the lines that bugged me because that would be pointless, but there were just a bunch of lines that I thought were either delivered poorly/awkwardly, didn't make sense given the situation, or simply made me groan. The worst was them using the "old guy and cool guy don't understand nerd talk" joke AGAIN. Because I'm sure the audience loves "Hey isn't it funny that nerds say poo poo we don't understand?!" jokes on a comic book show. Especially when it was in response to some non-sensical fake techno-babble. You know, that other thing I'm sure the audience loves.

Random petty complaints aside though I thought the rest of the episode was pretty solid. I like the twist on Skye's secret (in that it isn't just her secretly working against them only to change her mind because she grows too attached) and looking forward to what they do with that. Definitely not looking forward to them possibly going multiple episodes with a 'No one trusts Skye' dynamic though. I mean, they kidnapped her while she was with Rising Tide, and she hasn't even contacted the dude she was with after she started working for SHIELD. What exactly is the big problem/betrayal here? Dunno, seems a bit forced to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

VDay posted:

What exactly is the big problem/betrayal here? Dunno, seems a bit forced to me.

The part where she helped a guy so he could get away?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

VDay posted:

Liked the episode, but I think dialogue-wise it was the worst one yet. Not just going to list all the lines that bugged me because that would be pointless, but there were just a bunch of lines that I thought were either delivered poorly/awkwardly, didn't make sense given the situation, or simply made me groan. The worst was them using the "old guy and cool guy don't understand nerd talk" joke AGAIN. Because I'm sure the audience loves "Hey isn't it funny that nerds say poo poo we don't understand?!" jokes on a comic book show. Especially when it was in response to some non-sensical fake techno-babble. You know, that other thing I'm sure the audience loves.

Random petty complaints aside though I thought the rest of the episode was pretty solid. I like the twist on Skye's secret (in that it isn't just her secretly working against them only to change her mind because she grows too attached) and looking forward to what they do with that. Definitely not looking forward to them possibly going multiple episodes with a 'No one trusts Skye' dynamic though. I mean, they kidnapped her while she was with Rising Tide, and she hasn't even contacted the dude she was with after she started working for SHIELD. What exactly is the big problem/betrayal here? Dunno, seems a bit forced to me.

She tipped him off that he was being followed. And she contacted him right after she joined "I'm in" and what not.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

VDay posted:

Liked the episode, but I think dialogue-wise it was the worst one yet. Not just going to list all the lines that bugged me because that would be pointless, but there were just a bunch of lines that I thought were either delivered poorly/awkwardly, didn't make sense given the situation, or simply made me groan.

"He's a magician, so I thought he might have disappeared himself!"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yup, realized it 30 seconds after I wrote that. That guy just kind of faded into the background for me, so I completely blanked on the fact that he was actually responsible for the whole thing. Fair enough.

Dexo posted:

She tipped him off that he was being followed. And she contacted him right after she joined "I'm in" and what not.
Right, but it was literally just a check in, and as we found out her plans weren't really devious in nature. Texting the dude she was seeing that she's fine after suddenly being kidnapped by the organization they both thought was evil seems like a relatively ok thing to do.

Like I said though I just blanked and forgot that she legitimately helped the dude get away. Makes plenty of sense, I just hope they don't drag it out too long.

VDay fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 23, 2013

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, they have a valid complaint here in regards to trust.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm just so happy they went the she actually hosed up route rather than the she was blamed for something she didn't do mistrust route. I was real worried that's where they were going.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I'm really liking the girl in the flower dress, gorgeous and actually manages to be pretty intimidating at the same time. I'm hoping she shows up a lot.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

DivisionPost posted:

^^^Another great answer, if not a better one.

That's the complicated nature of the situation, though; it's easy to say "civil liberties above all else" when you're not in the poo poo and you're not holding yourself responsible for someone's life, and that's what Skye's going through. I'm not saying it's an ethically sound argument; in fact, if the show holds fast to a simple Just World position (I doubt this, given Whedon's own political views, but I can see any network show whitewashing the hard questions in favor of entertainment), then yes, it'll be a valid criticism to level against the show. But while it may be a morally questionable development, I felt it was certainly an emotionally sound one.

I wouldn't be suprised if the consequences of SHIELD playing fast and loose with people's civil liberties becomes an issue later on in the show, maybe a future season. Whedon always had a thing for people paying a price for immoral deeds. In this episode we saw it with Skye and her buddy but we also saw it with the doctor lady being killed for performing lethal experiments and Scorch after he murdered the SHIELD agent.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

homeless snail posted:

I think Centipede is just the name of the project, specifically referring to that centipede looking thing the dudes in the pilot were implanted with. I bet they'll probably zoom out in the season finale to reveal its just a part of some larger piece of dumb comic book business.

Or, maybe, and I can't believe this just occured to me...

"Hail Centipede! Cut off a limb, and another, smaller one shall take its place!"

Yeah, never mind.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The quips are getting better and better, so that's great.

I really didn't like how straw-manny Skye's ex turned out to be, though. I mean, the show has a heavy burden to make us root for the super-shady all-powerful government suits doing anything they please for the greater good and silencing all dissent, but did they have to do it by making their first real vocal opposition a massive hypocrite who drones empty catchphrases without really understanding them and literally sold secrets for money?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TheChad posted:

I'm really liking the girl in the flower dress, gorgeous and actually manages to be pretty intimidating at the same time. I'm hoping she shows up a lot.

And she's no stranger to powers shows.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
There's a really creepy pro-surveillance vibe about this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

JayMax posted:

There's a really creepy pro-surveillance vibe about this show.

Yeah, if we lived in a society with super heroes and villains.

• Locked thread