Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

soapgish posted:

And she's no stranger to powers shows.

drat I had no idea, didn't recognise her for a second. She's a much better actress here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

JayMax posted:

There's a really creepy pro-surveillance vibe about this show.

Not really something the franchise has shied away from in the past.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spoilers for tonight's Supernatural: Did anyone else find it funny that Shannon Lucio played villains on two different shows on the same night and died kinda opposite deaths in each one?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tonight's episode had some cool death scenes and a super obscure Marvel z-rate villain (who also got an offscreen death with no body left behind and is therefore almost guaranteed to come back) but I was disappointed with the reveal of Skye's big secret. Orphan with a mysterious hidden family secret? Nawwwww.

I know a few of my comicbook obsessed friends have been watching the show but the only comments on my Facebook feed referencing it lately have all been "gently caress it, this show is boring, I'm out."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Hello? Got real quiet...

I liked that guy, I'm sad he got murdered by getting a hole burned through his chest.

TheChad posted:

I'm really liking the girl in the flower dress, gorgeous and actually manages to be pretty intimidating at the same time. I'm hoping she shows up a lot.

It looks like she's going to be the main representative of the recurring villains, so I'm sure she will. I like how at one point she actually seemed like she was working under the doctor, but then once the doctor had done what she'd needed she just left her to get burned up.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I hope the FitSimmons get killed off soon, I love Whedon dialogue and mannerisms but these two just aren't doing it for me... and their cry baby scene in this episode was some of the cringiest poo poo I've ever seen.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I give it maybe four episodes before one of them is revealed to be Centipede. Not just an agent of Centipede mind you, but The Centipede.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Simmons didn't seem so bad those few short moments without Fitz around. I think I just hate when they try to have a "who can talk fastest" competition and speak over each other constantly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

The quips are getting better and better, so that's great.

Really? Seems about the same to me. The most groan worthy quip was when Skye's boyfriend explained his screwed joke in bed. You know, incase you didn't get it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Regy Rusty posted:

It looks like she's going to be the main representative of the recurring villains, so I'm sure she will. I like how at one point she actually seemed like she was working under the doctor, but then once the doctor had done what she'd needed she just left her to get burned up.

It also seemed like she had some sympathy for Chan, too. If Red wasn't such a cold bitch about de-powering him, maybe she would've saved her.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JayMax posted:

That tracks with The Avengers

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

JayMax posted:

The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon had an episode where Fury installed cameras and microphones all over Parker's home, to which he expressed some annoyance, especially since his Aunt lives there, but then a bad guy attacked or something and then Spider-Man was totally ok with being spied on to protect Aunt May. It was pretty gross, but it seems like who ever is running Marvel's TV department has a bit of a hard on for surveillance overriding civil liberties.

Another thing I just noticed was that whoever runs the TV dept also hates theme songs because the cartoons and this show have the exact same "cold open/title logo against black for a few seconds/begin" thing at the start of the episodes.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

ToastyPotato posted:

Another thing I just noticed was that whoever runs the TV dept also hates theme songs because the cartoons and this show have the exact same "cold open/title logo against black for a few seconds/begin" thing at the start of the episodes.

I'm okay with this, I really hate when shows waste 3-5 minutes of air time on every single episode with the same lovely intro sequence.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The only time an intro is ever 3+ minutes is on premium cable channels where you aren't watching commercials so I can forgive it.

edit: poo poo every premium cable intro I just looked up on youtube is under two minutes. I checked Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, Sopranos, Game of Thrones... They feel a lot longer to me when I'm watching them

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 23, 2013

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I still wish that this show had a neat intro sequence, all Whedon shows have one. :(

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Hot dang, really geeking out on this show, it really scratches that fun campy itch.
Really enjoyed the opening of the previous episode, I go past that square in Stockholm everyday. Really nice shots of the artistic subways there too. Although the interior set of the subway was hilariously fake.

DivisionPost posted:

It's more of a control bracelet, it seems, tracking you and interacting with the environment around you as SHIELD sees fit. If they're cool with you being around computers, you'll be able to use computers. If they don't want you listening to your iPod, the poo poo'll short your iPod if you try to use it.
If SHIELD hosed with my workout playlist I'd join the Rising Tide in a heartbeat. :argh:

The Rising Tide side-story is kind of hammy so far, but I'm interested in the free speech angle. SHIELD in the movies and show has been almost bragging about how they can tap into every source of video and surveillance to find anything and it's been creeping me out that it's just okay by all the good guys.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ToastyPotato posted:

The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon had an episode where Fury installed cameras and microphones all over Parker's home, to which he expressed some annoyance, especially since his Aunt lives there, but then a bad guy attacked or something and then Spider-Man was totally ok with being spied on to protect Aunt May. It was pretty gross, but it seems like who ever is running Marvel's TV department has a bit of a hard on for surveillance overriding civil liberties.

The Avengers Alliance Facebook game occasionally has little side missions which are blatant "Piracy hurts everyone!" PSAs sponsored by an OSHA-related safety/certifications company. In one of them the villains put mutant growth hormones into counterfeit beauty care products being sold by street vendors and in another they had to track down pirated Stark technology with awesome dialogue like this:

:wtc:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Its funny because Stark strikes me as the kind of guy that would have used napster

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Avengers Alliance Facebook game occasionally has little side missions which are blatant "Piracy hurts everyone!" PSAs sponsored by an OSHA-related safety/certifications company. In one of them the villains put mutant growth hormones into counterfeit beauty care products being sold by street vendors and in another they had to track down pirated Stark technology with awesome dialogue like this:

:wtc:

That fits Stark Personality perfectly though.

Do you know how many times his designs have been stolen/recreated illegally and how goddamn pissed he gets when it happens.

He's a multibillionare capitalist.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Now try to imagine Samuel L Jackson reading Fury's dialogue in that exchange.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So who's this guy?

This happened after the fire guy got away from them and Coulson was telling them onboard to free the hacker guy. Some guy in armor (circled) and a weapon just ran past the screen but as far as I know there was nobody else with them. Must have been on SHIElD's side though since he didm't, you know, shoot them in their backs.

Anyway, in the previous episode Skye asked if ESP existed and the Chinese girl said no studies have shown this. They're living in a world where people randomly get abilities to conjure up fire, where gods are actually real and have magic hammers that can make them fly and call up lightning, where dimensional portals exist, and where people (Loki) can create copies of themselves. How the gently caress is her first response to ESP "oh no, it doesn't exist you silly girl"?

(And how does X-Men fit into all of this? They are Marvel too, right? Are they just in a separate universe? Never read any comic books in my life.)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

(And how does X-Men fit into all of this? They are Marvel too, right? Are they just in a separate universe? Never read any comic books in my life.)

X-Men rights as well as anything "mutant" are held by Fox. Marvel/Disney have, in the past, tried to shop scripts and whatnot for some mutant related characters but they'd presumably not be mutants if they were used in the MCU.

While Marvel has apparently re-gained the TV rights for X-Men, I highly doubt they'd use them in a live-action TV show that's tied in with the movies.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Since Fox owns the movie rights to X-Men, they aren't part of the Marvel cinematic universe.

In the comics, mutants with superpowers exist, and have traditionally been an oppressed minority. The X-men are a team/organization of mutants that fight to protect both humans and mutants while trying to improve relations between the two. The anti-mutant hysteria in the Marvel universe is bizarre in that people will celebrate heroes with powers, unless they have those powers because they are a mutant.

Now that I put it that way, though, it makes about as much sense as real world racism. None at all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Boris Galerkin posted:

So who's this guy?

He's Quan's backup the way May is Coulson's. You see him walking next to May behind Coulson and Quan as they infiltrate into the building. He's also the guy who shoots the line to the roof. I'm not sure where he gets off to when Coulson and May are fighting Scorch, but I'm assuming he split off to chase down some Centipede scientists or something. Presumably he didn't die since they'd probably have mentioned that.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Um, actually (totally saying that on purpose), that redshirt can be seen leaving the building with the rest of the team before Scorch explodes. I'm surprised they paid attention to such a minor detail.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, you're right! I missed him because he's at the edge of the screen but he's definitely there! Nice catch!

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
And here I was thinking they'd draw out the Skye secret double agent thing for MUCH longer. That was horribly wrong. I wonder how quickly they'll be able to find the file. It should be something that takes essentially no time to find, but I have to imagine it will be at least an episode. Or maybe even Coulson can't get to it, that would be good.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyway, in the previous episode Skye asked if ESP existed and the Chinese girl said no studies have shown this. They're living in a world where people randomly get abilities to conjure up fire, where gods are actually real and have magic hammers that can make them fly and call up lightning, where dimensional portals exist, and where people (Loki) can create copies of themselves. How the gently caress is her first response to ESP "oh no, it doesn't exist you silly girl"?

Just because those paranormal things exist doesn't automatically mean another, different kind of paranormal thing also exists. You might as well use that logic to justify Santa Claus existing in the MCU.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Merlinicus posted:

And here I was thinking they'd draw out the Skye secret double agent thing for MUCH longer. That was horribly wrong. I wonder how quickly they'll be able to find the file. It should be something that takes essentially no time to find, but I have to imagine it will be at least an episode. Or maybe even Coulson can't get to it, that would be good.

I bet my life that this happens, at least temporarily.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Billy Idle posted:

Just because those paranormal things exist doesn't automatically mean another, different kind of paranormal thing also exists. You might as well use that logic to justify Santa Claus existing in the MCU.

I understand what you're saying but my issue was how fast they were to dismiss ESP, like they weren't willing to even entertain the idea. In a world where gods are literal real things and aliens just destroyed half of NYC through a dimensional portal.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
It's been a while since I've played Minecraft, so maybe I'm out of date, but the Minecraft reference in this episode sounded like they searched the Minecraft wiki for some keywords to cram together without double-checking that the reference made any sense. Trivial, sure, but pretty lazy.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Space Hamlet posted:

It's been a while since I've played Minecraft, so maybe I'm out of date, but the Minecraft reference in this episode sounded like they searched the Minecraft wiki for some keywords to cram together without double-checking that the reference made any sense. Trivial, sure, but pretty lazy.

I didn't actually hear what context they were talking about.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
"He also plays a lot of Minecraft, where he runs a nasty mob."
"What - as a zombie?"
"Zombie pigmen."

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Zombie_Pigman

It's a real thing.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

It also doesn't make any sense. They said mob in the group of mobsters sense and not in the single creature sense. I'm not sure how that would even work in game.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Right, but how would the player run a mob of these

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

1337 h4x, duh.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Space Hamlet posted:

"What - as a zombie?"
"Zombie pigmen."

I thought they were trying to say Mod. With the acsents and trying to say their lines as fast as possible caused it to slur it a little.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Space Hamlet posted:

"What - as a zombie?"
"Zombie pigmen."

Yeah that doesn't make any sense but I already tune out anything Fitzsimmons say anyways. I'm kind of hoping they get replaced sooner or later, By the guy who played Rodney McKay in stargate.

He would be perfect for the role. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I think Centipede is just the name of the project, specifically referring to that centipede looking thing the dudes in the pilot were implanted with. I bet they'll probably zoom out in the season finale to reveal its just a part of some larger piece of dumb comic book business.

I'm hoping centapede is actually a ridiculous acronym.

• Locked thread