Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
One thing that doesn't get talked about is the acting in Breaking Bad. It's a great show but gently caress do the 2 leads absolutely kill it.

E: Especially Jesse, talk about a career performence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, it's just utterly sublime. Wogan was perfect as a guest host, Hound's just really good at panel shows, and James Blunt was an amazingly good sport.

Yeah. I never thought that "James Blunt riding Phill Jupitus while they both sing the introduction to Baba O'Riley" is a thing I would experience in life, but it was amazing.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

No show's ending will ever match up to Breaking Bad's ending, so arguing about which lesser endings are the worst out of all the lesser endings out there is super dumb. :colbert:

Honestly?

I think the Sopranos' ending was superior to Breaking Bad's. Breaking Bad was, on the whole, a better show, but the Sopranos' ending was better.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I think the Sopranos' ending was superior to Breaking Bad's. Breaking Bad was, on the whole, a better show, but the Sopranos' ending was better.

As somebody who loathes Journey, you are wrong.

Wrong wrong wrong.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Manos del Sino posted:

As somebody who loathes Journey, you are wrong.

Wrong wrong wrong.

If you hate Don't Stop Believin', you're the one who's wrong. I can't stand 99% of their songs, but gently caress do I love me some Don't Stop Believin'.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm fully onboard with Norm MacDonald's Dying Fantasy read of Breaking Bad's finale.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Breaking Bad's "finale" wasn't a finale. It bucked the trend of back loading the final episode with everything and instead put the series climax at the second to last episode, with the final two episodes serving as the resolution. So comparing the final episode of Breaking Bad with other finales is dumb and specious.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zoux posted:

Breaking Bad's "finale" wasn't a finale. It bucked the trend of back loading the final episode with everything and instead put the series climax at the second to last episode, with the final two episodes serving as the resolution. So comparing the final episode of Breaking Bad with other finales is dumb and specious.

Since when does a finale have to have the climax of the story in it to qualify as a finale?

Have you seen Lost? Would you say its climax is in the finale, or a whole season before that?

The writers of Breaking Bad deliberately titled the last episode using an anagram of "finale", so I don't think they'd agree with your assessment.

(Ozymandias is definitely the climax, but that has no bearing on it being a finale or its comparability to other series finales.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 22, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BrooklynBruiser posted:

If you hate Don't Stop Believin', you're the one who's wrong. I can't stand 99% of their songs, but gently caress do I love me some Don't Stop Believin'.

When I was working retail a few years back I would have to change the radio station every time Journey came on because all the sad Gen Xers would start singing along (Thanks Glee!). I also had a 'No modern Taylor Swift' policy, because good singers shouldn't use autotune :colbert:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I agree, Ozymandias is the real ending of BB and easily my favorite episode in the show. The last two episodes are more of an extended epilogue.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

So you're saying it's the Generations to Ozymandias' All Good Things?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

When I was working retail a few years back I would have to change the radio station every time Journey came on because all the sad Gen Xers would start singing along (Thanks Glee!). I also had a 'No modern Taylor Swift' policy, because good singers shouldn't use autotune :colbert:

Only classic Taylor Swift?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Since when does a finale have to have the climax of the story in it to qualify as a finale?

Have you seen Lost? Would you say its climax is in the finale, or a whole season before that?

The writers of Breaking Bad deliberately titled the last episode using an anagram of "finale", so I don't think they'd agree with your assessment.

You aren't going to trick me into talking about the Lost finale.

But yes it was a finale in the sense that it was the last episode of the series. There is a trend in TV to have the arc climax in the final episode and then spend just a few minutes wrapping things up, which is why they are so often disappointing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Only classic Taylor Swift?

Yeah, anything produced between 2006 and 2010. Her newest album, Red, released in 2012, is hot garbage.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

Deadpool posted:

I should ban you for starting this.

It was just a joke. Like on Top Gear.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I didn't know Taylor Swift's career had eras now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SALT CURES HAM posted:

No show's ending will ever match up to Breaking Bad's ending, so arguing about which lesser endings are the worst out of all the lesser endings out there is super dumb. :colbert:
Futurama's first series finale (The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings) was really great. An almost perfect end to the series. Then the show got brought back and was kind of hit or miss for a while. But the second series finale was pretty good too. Not as good as The Devil's Hands, but it felt like a fitting and heartwarming way to end the series.

Still, I don't know if I'd say either of them were as good and satisfying as Breaking Bad's ending.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

zoux posted:

Personally, the penultimate episode of a season/series always seems to have all the heavy hitting stuff in it, while the finale is just wrapping up the events of the previous episode or establishing next season.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, anything produced between 2006 and 2010. Her newest album, Red, released in 2012, is hot garbage.

Counterpoint: No. Red is half good songs, half boring ol' ballads. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and 22 both rock something fierce.

Also, autotune is a valid artistic decision if you're trying to achieve a certain sound.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harlock posted:

Personally, the penultimate episode of a season/series always seems to have all the heavy hitting stuff in it, while the finale is just wrapping up the events of the previous episode or establishing next season.

HBO does this, but other networks? The Fringe series finale was all back-loaded, the Haven s3 finale was and the Continuum finale as well. Nothing particularly notable about those choices of shows, those are just the last three finales I watched.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
Anyone who has ever used the phrase 'classic Taylor Swift' shouldn't be allowed to listen to music. Please turn in your headphones.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, autotune is a valid artistic decision if you're trying to achieve a certain sound.

There is no :frogout: big enough

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I am way down to watch Irish Joe argue with Yoshifan over which Taylor Swift songs are good. We need something this stupid to erase the thoughts of what happened yesterday.

Also I had to look it up to make sure that "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" was an actual song title and not just a joke about how that's literally all Taylor Swift sings about.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrooklynBruiser posted:

There is no :frogout: big enough

Go listen to 808s and Heartbreak, then come back and apologize.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Yoshifan823 posted:

It's the only auto-tune album that works, and still features Kanye's best songwriting.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There are also various T-Pain singles that use it well.

If you notice autotune, odds are it's noticeable for a reason. So many albums and songs use it just enough that it's not noticeable (because of good audio engineers) that if you can tell, it's not a "I want to sing better" decision, it's an artistic one. I can understand people not liking the sound of a heavily autotuned voice, but if a good singer wants to use it, odds are there's a reason.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

There are also various T-Pain singles that use it well.

T-Pain's music doesn't use anything well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We are living in the Taylor Swift's Couch Chat era. Good time to be alive folks.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deadpool posted:

We are living in the Taylor Swift's Couch Chat era. Good time to be alive folks.

Did you know that Kim Kardashian and Kanye West got engaged?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Couch Chat: TMZ this fall on NBC.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yoshifan823 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5GufEJH3dI

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Deadpool posted:

Couch Chat: TMZ this fall on NBC.

Premieres to 2.5 rating, and replaces entire Thursday lineup.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait, what happened at the end of Big Love? I can imagine it being monumentally stupid, and I of course could wiki it, but I'd rather someone tell me in an humorous way worthy of this here comedy website.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

precision posted:

Wait, what happened at the end of Big Love? I can imagine it being monumentally stupid, and I of course could wiki it, but I'd rather someone tell me in an humorous way worthy of this here comedy website.

Bill was called back to his home planet.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Yoshifan823 posted:

You spelled Age of Adz wrong.

Also I watched the pilot of Twin Peaks last week and am fully on board. Lynchy as hell and Kyle McLachlan being delightful? Yes please.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Finally an Irish Joe opinion that rises my ire.

Red's the poo poo. gently caress all y'all haters.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shageletic posted:

Finally an Irish Joe opinion that rises my ire.

Red's the poo poo. gently caress all y'all haters.

Redd's is alright but Woodchuck is better :cheers:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Red and Speak Now are both 50% decent and 50% boring-as-hell ballads.

And this is to do with TV because.....I think "22" was in an episode of New Girl once, right?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Yoshifan823 posted:

Counterpoint: No. Red is half good songs, half boring ol' ballads. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and 22 both rock something fierce.

The problem is that WANEGBT and 22 are indistinguishable from the kind of drek singers like Avril Levine and Brittney Spears continuously poo poo out. Taylor is an extremely talented singer/songerwriter and its a shame she's abandoning her more soulful and reflective style in favor of droning choruses, bass drops and autotune.

I mean, compare these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUwxKWT6m7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKCek6_dB0M

with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA4iX5D9Z64

and tell me the former aren't a hundred times better, more interesting and more relevant than the latter will ever be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK, the joke has run its course. Back to TV chat. The Taylor Swift era has come to an end. For further adventures check out NMD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Showtime renewed both Homeland and Masters of Sex today. I need to catch up on the latter.

• Locked thread