Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Skype interview with the casting dept of a reality show on the new Esquire network which puts people through a 3 week outdoor survival course. I don't care that much about being cast, but does anyone have any non-ridiculous suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Skype interview with the casting dept of a reality show on the new Esquire network which puts people through a 3 week outdoor survival course. I don't care that much about being cast, but does anyone have any non-ridiculous suggestions?

It's the ridiculous suggestions that will help you most.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really need to find my old 2012 megapoll thread, but I can't find it at all does anyone know where it is?

Also hey TV couch chat long time no see.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, @Midnight is a daily show? I just saw a commercial for the new episode tonight.

It's kinda funny, but it seems like something I'd rather see once a week than every night.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Seeing the mental hoops people are jumping through to defend Homeland's inexcusably lovely writing is triggering my Dexter PTSD.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait, @Midnight is a daily show? I just saw a commercial for the new episode tonight.

It's kinda funny, but it seems like something I'd rather see once a week than every night.

It is, yeah. I don't mind, personally - I like the show a lot, so seeing more of it is good.

Midnight City posted:

Seeing the mental hoops people are jumping through to defend Homeland's inexcusably lovely writing is triggering my Dexter PTSD.

Or, you know, they might just not think it's lovely writing. Just a possibility.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

They just spent 4 episodes revolving around the old lying to the audience trope, so no it's just lovely writing.

It'll be lumberjacks and Argentina in no time.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Even Sepinwall stopped defending Homeland.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I made the OP for Season Two of Homeland and even I think it's gone to poo poo now. I've stopped posting in the thread because I'm trying to be more positive around here in general, but I have no interest in any plots on the show now - including the continued adventures of The Brody Bunch.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ufarn posted:

Even Sepinwall stopped defending Homeland.

Claire Danes is still really good at acting...

But, they also keep insisting on having Brody's family be a thing. Which they really, really need to not do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It is, yeah. I don't mind, personally - I like the show a lot, so seeing more of it is good.

It's a show about the internet that actually gets the internet. I have no problems with Hardwick and some of the guests for this week look great:

quote:

MONDAY 10/21
• Doug Benson @DougBenson
• Natasha Leggero @natashaleggero
• Kumail Nanjiani @kumailn

TUESDAY 10/22
• Kurt Braunohler @kurtbraunohler
• Andy Daly @TVsAndyDaly
• Brendon Walsh @brendonwalsh

WEDNESDAY 10/23
• James Adomian @JAdomian
• June Diane Raphael @MsJuneDiane
• Mike Lawrence @TheMikeLawrence

THURSDAY 10/24
• Tom Lennon @thomaslennon
• Kyle Kinane @kylekinane
• Deon Cole @deoncole

I'm in.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

PriorMarcus posted:

I made the OP for Season Two of Homeland and even I think it's gone to poo poo now. I've stopped posting in the thread because I'm trying to be more positive around here in general, but I have no interest in any plots on the show now - including the continued adventures of The Brody Bunch.

Exactly. Brody's family stopped being interesting the moment they separated Brody from them, somewhere in the middle fo Season 2. There is no solid defense of Brody's family, at all.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
They have too many questions. The main focus shouldn't be the questions - they should only exist as a springboard for the comedians.

It's nice though that they're not geoblocking, so I guess I'll keep watching it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's a show about the internet that actually gets the internet. I have no problems with Hardwick and some of the guests for this week look great:

I'm in.
Yeah but I don't know how they're gonna be able to keep up the quality of the guests if they do it every night. Late night talkshows are able to do it for the most part, but they have a lot more types of guests to choose from than it seems like a show like this would.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
The latest The Soup Investigates was incredible. Check it out if you haven't already.

Spoiler alert: it might contain spoilers.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I know a lot of people are stoked about Justified coming back but I'm equally pumped for The Americans starting back up in January.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Honestly, with Homeland...I just go with it. I think it says something that I'm no longer watching live (I haven't seen the last episode yet but I know about the big twist), and I no longer find anything worth examining or defending, but I find it enjoyable if I tune out the criticism and roll with the punches. If they're gonna Four Feather Carrie this year (reference is not as accurate as I hoped but whatever), fine, bring it on.

Same goes for Korra, actually, and a lot of shows I like. I'm not looking to get my rear end kicked with each hour of TV I watch, mostly I'm just looking to fill some time and escape.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Same goes for Korra, actually, and a lot of shows I like. I'm not looking to get my rear end kicked with each hour of TV I watch, mostly I'm just looking to fill some time and escape.

I know I've raved about it in the IRC far too much, but last week's Korra was fantastic. (and had almost no Korra)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Dipping back into the TV director chat for a moment, it really all goes back to the showrunner. Typically, a few directors get attached to a show as an exec producer (maybe the director who did the pilot, but usually someone less high-profile) and rotate shows through the season. At the end of the season, the staff shuffles, producers/writers renegotiate deals or leave the show, and the next season might have a different roster of folks. As long as that showrunner is in place, has his/her vision clearly delineated through the ranks, and has set the tone for the show, then you really shouldn't notice much difference between episodes.

Those one or two producer/directors do a majority of shows for the season for practical purposes (and it also depends on the budget for the show, how much is allotted for hiring), but if the episodes are effects heavy or need major prep (lots of VFX or practical effects or extreme locations) then those directors need breathing room and one-off directors are usually brought in. That's when the actor's casual conversations with the showrunner about dipping their hands in the directing pool come to fruition. And if a show has been around for ages and is running on a well established formula (like the later seasons of Star Trek TNG) then the cast gets a chance in the director's chair (Gates McFadden, LeVar Burton, Patrick Stewart) along with other random folks looking to get their feet wet (Adam Nimoy). Sorry about all the parentheses.

Really, the best reason to keep bringing in different directors is to keep things fresh. A new voice, a new perspective, willing to play in someone else's established world could bring new details and angles to something that might be on the verge of growing stale.

And another aspect of TV direction is the pilot - a feature director can moonlight on a TV pilot for a month or so, make a chunk of change, and then attach himself as a producer for the life of the series. If you are Bryan Singer, and that show is House, then you have made a fortune for (relatively) little effort.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
As someone who's hated Homeland since the beginning, it makes me very happy to see everyone turning on it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

As someone who's hated Homeland since the beginning, it makes me very happy to see everyone turning on it.

Season 1 was great. First half of season 2 was good, and then it went all :showtime:(we need a showtime emote).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I still think that the Tudors was good until the end and did not fall off the cliff the way other Showtime shows did.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bobkatt013 posted:

I still think that the Tudors was good until the end and did not fall off the cliff the way other Showtime shows did.

The Borgias had a similar thing going, and was improving with each season. Then it was cancelled before it could become sublime.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Season 1 was great. First half of season 2 was good, and then it went all :showtime:(we need a showtime emote).

I couldn't make it through season 1. Got about 9 episodes in and couldn't take it any more.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I can't understand stopping it after 9 without seeing the last few, unless you'd already been warned about season 1's ending. I don't think anyone was satisfied with S1's ending, but we kept hoping that S2 would bring back those magic feelings.

Then we got OC drama.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked season 2 well enough, but a combination of being so soured about Showtime in general and the first few episodes of season 3 being so boring led me to quit watching after the third episode. I think this was the right choice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Azure_Horizon posted:

The Borgias had a similar thing going, and was improving with each season. Then it was cancelled before it could become sublime.

It could be due to both of them had an endgame already decided due to history so they could not really go off the rails.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

It could be due to both of them had an endgame already decided due to history so they could not really go off the rails.

This makes me wonder what they're going to do with Masters of Sex considering that Masters and Johnson were full-bore gay-to-straight conversion quacks later in their career.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This makes me wonder what they're going to do with Masters of Sex considering that Masters and Johnson were full-bore gay-to-straight conversion quacks later in their career.

According to Wikipedia, Johnson claims she always had reservations about their conversion clinic. Now whether that's true or she was just trying to cover her rear end (Masters was long dead when she gave the interview in 2009; she passed this year), I don't know. But in the show, it'll probably be a source of tension between the two of them if they ever get to it, with Johnson being on the right side of history while Masters is on the wrong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

This is truth. If you're on Showtime, the best thing that can happen is to be cancelled after a couple-few good seasons.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Midnight City posted:

I can't understand stopping it after 9 without seeing the last few, unless you'd already been warned about season 1's ending. I don't think anyone was satisfied with S1's ending, but we kept hoping that S2 would bring back those magic feelings.

Then we got OC drama.

Maybe it was 8, I don't really remember. I wasn't really interested in the show in the first place, but after the first season ended and everyone said it was ZOMG SOO GOOOD I decided to try it out. I probably would have given it up earlier, but my man-crush on Mandy Patinkin compelled me to continue on.

precision posted:

This is truth. If you're on Showtime, the best thing that can happen is to be cancelled after a couple-few good seasons.

Also known as the "Dead Like Me" rule.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

According to Wikipedia, Johnson claims she always had reservations about their conversion clinic. Now whether that's true or she was just trying to cover her rear end (Masters was long dead when she gave the interview in 2009; she passed this year), I don't know. But in the show, it'll probably be a source of tension between the two of them if they ever get to it, with Johnson being on the right side of history while Masters is on the wrong.

I made a big wall of text post on it in the thread and you just summarized it better in 5 lines.

Time to go hang myself.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The show is taking place in 1954 and the conversion therapy didn't start until 1968 so they would have to do a time skip if they are to cover that, which is not unheard of I suppose.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

They skipped 6 months ahead in the last episode didn't they? The wife went from just getting pregnant to 5-6 months in.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's likely they'll get to at least '66, when their initial study was published.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Two shows did Flowers for Algernon parodies last night.

Two sitcoms.

On the same network.

That aired back to back.

Even the titles were the same, Flowers for (character's name)

I initially thought this would be disastrous. Turns out it was pretty great. Anyone else check out the double feature of funny Flowers for Algernon parodies?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

comes along bort posted:

I know a lot of people are stoked about Justified coming back but I'm equally pumped for The Americans starting back up in January.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty excited to see both shows come back. I thought the Americans was one of the best new shows this past year.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

escape artist posted:

Two shows did Flowers for Algernon parodies last night.

Two sitcoms.

On the same network.

That aired back to back.

Even the titles were the same, Flowers for (character's name)

I initially thought this would be disastrous. Turns out it was pretty great. Anyone else check out the double feature of funny Flowers for Algernon parodies?

The It's Always Sunny ep was pretty great. I gave up on The League a third of the way through Season 4 though so I've got nothing on that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven't read The League thread yet, but I thought it was the best episode of the season.

I wonder if it was a coincidence both shows ran with the same plot or if they knew about each other. Kinda felt like when Daily Show and Colbert cover the same story with similar jokes.

No complaints though, it was a great hour of comedy. I'd much rather what feels like a collaboration of sorts like that than some crappy sounding Simpsons/Family Guy crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Occupation posted:

I really need to find my old 2012 megapoll thread, but I can't find it at all does anyone know where it is?

Also hey TV couch chat long time no see.

Do you mean this one?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523734

• Locked thread