Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Unless Jack and Adama become lumberjacks, the endings are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm fully onboard with Norm MacDonald's Dying Fantasy read of Breaking Bad's finale.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Breaking Bad's "finale" wasn't a finale. It bucked the trend of back loading the final episode with everything and instead put the series climax at the second to last episode, with the final two episodes serving as the resolution. So comparing the final episode of Breaking Bad with other finales is dumb and specious.

So you're saying it's the Generations to Ozymandias' All Good Things?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Tom Cherones directed 57 episodes of NewsRadio, nearly 60% of the series. The closest second direct 7.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Brooklyn 99 is a good show and people should watch it and laugh at the jokes.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Joe Lo Truglio's character is the only one I find lacking, and he's coming along.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

precision posted:

Angels aren't edgy anymore. Criss Angel ruined it for everyone.

Criss Angel is a Douchebag.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Crossposting from the Network Programming thread:

You should all be watching Ravenswood.

It's a legitimately creepy show with great performances and solid writing masquerading as a teen drama.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Deadpool posted:

Dylan McDermott/Dermot Mulroney is an FBI agent who holds a surgeon's family hostage so she'll kill the President in surgery. There's a lot of really dumb poo poo packed into the first episode. I decided not to continue on past that. I would not be surprised if there's been about 2,000 plot twists in the episodes since then though. Seemed like it was the kind of show that really didn't care if anything made sense.
Just send in Mr. Reese.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Darin Morgan episodes, both on X-Files and Millennium, are some of the best TV ever made.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

This got me wondering what happened to him, and the answer is.... not much. Did some stuff on Fringe and that's about it. Shame, you'd think the current TV climate would be great for his talent.
He wrote a script for the short-lived Bionic Woman reboot, but that's about it. I think I read somewhere that he just doesn't like writing.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The original Defenders was pretty great. It started out with hyper-powered heroes like Dr. Strange, the Hulk, the Silver Surfer and Submariner, then rapidly degenerated into a clusterfuck of whoever felt like showing up. Everyone from Valkyrie, to Valkyrie's host body's petulant ex-husband. One multi-issue run involved some hanger-on publicist running a tv ad inviting people to become members.

And about 30% of the plots involved trying to calm the Hulk down, but then just intentionally pissing him off and aiming him at the villain.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Netflix practically has a captive audience for the series with a built-in marketing campaign. They'll at least be worth a look for anyone who's just finished watching one of the movies and is wants a little more.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Chuck was bland. Like Psych but without the edge. Morgan was creepy and annoying. I think I made it through the first season.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Psych has all the edge of a dildo. Which is apt because it's just a lot of old cock flopping around.
And yet still sharper than Chuck.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

For most people it seems to be either Stockholm Syndrome or Battered Spouse Syndrome.
In a lot of cases it's a combination of Sunk Cost Fallacy, a battle of wills, and sheer bloodymindedness.

The entire last season of Dexter was the writers just daring the audience to stop watching.

"You're still here after we made LaGuerta a bench? Well gently caress YOU, BECAUSE NOW DEXTER'S A LUMBERJACK."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

I think that's from the episode where the Lone Gunmen trick her into coming out to Las Vegas and she gets some kind of mind control drug?

Yeah, I think it's Michael McKean on the other end of the cigarette.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Sophia posted:

Hello Couch Thread it has been awhile because I don't watch new TV anymore, just old TV and currently I'm running through Alphas again and getting EXTREMELY UPSET that it was not on my television this year. But regardless, what new fall shows should I be watching that I'm not?
Since I haven't seen anyone mention them:

Sleepy Hollow
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Orphan Black

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

At what point did the people who go mad over PoI start to feel like that? I'm 6 or 7 episodes in they witness episode and it's enjoyable enough, but nothing mind blowing. It still has that 'network' feel of ensuring people can jump in at anytime which grates and not enough arc compared to crime of the week. Scandal dealt with that by about this point so I'm hoping PoI does it too, because at the moment watching another 16 episodes or so just to finish a season feels like it might be a slog without much payoff.
Episode 10 is where I found I was invested in the characters more than I realized. The first season lays all the groundwork for what becomes a much bigger arc, and so far, it's really followed through. It's the best mix of arc/episodic around.

Sophia posted:

Hannibal was very beautiful to watch but it had nothing to interest me as a weekly television show with no ending. Awake was similar, as was Last Resort and The Following. I've really lost my appetite for serious shows that aren't self-contained but stretch out into perpetuity.
Like PoI, the first season is deceptively procedural (though more artsy), but by the end all the beautiful set pieces feed into a bigger picture. From what I understand, Hannibal has an overall plan with season 4 being the events of Red Dragon.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Utopia was amazing. 6 episodes.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

BrooklynBruiser posted:

To be entirely honest, the reason I haven't caught up more on Person of Interest is the rapturous way that people talk about it. I've seen the first 10 episodes of season 1 and I've really enjoyed what I've seen, but the constant nigh-orgasmic reactions people have to it are grating as hell, especially because I don't really see anything that exceptional about the show. I mean, it's very competent - well-acted, well-written, well-designed, etc. but I just don't see anything very special about it.
I think what grabs people (certainly what I like) is that it takes what would ordinarily be little more than a plot device to drive the case of the week (supercomputer predicts crime), and uses it to create a much bigger story that hits a scifi sweet-spot lacking anywhere else. It's also the kind of show that lends itself to freeze-framing and rewinding; you can miss story details the way you'd miss jokes on The Simpsons.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

IRQ posted:

It's barely even a vaguely sci-fi related show at all so no. It is a very good action/procedural with great acting and writing.
It borrows heavily from Neuromancer, even lifting a scene directly, and it's now in VALIS territory. Most of that is conveyed obliquely so it comes across as Burn Notice's cousin from New York instead of cyberpunk, but it's definitely there and a major part of the show.

STAC Goat posted:

Fair enough. I had heard the opposite but that was early in the season so maybe it changed. Or maybe the person I heard it from was simply wrong.
A few people have said that, but it's by no means the consensus opinion of her. She's great and her first episode is a pretty good crash course in the show's aesthetic. If you liked that, you'd probably like the rest.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I think everybody would be better served if they just realized my opinions are correct.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I sometimes avoid "popular" shows and it's not some teenage rebellion buck the trend nonsense. Its a simple matter of expectations. If my expectations for a show are low going in then its hard to be disappointed. Sometimes it sucks and you don't feel like you missed anything, sometimes its mediocre and you just move on, and sometimes its good and you're pleased. But if a show has been pumped up and sold hard to you then it's got a bar it needs to live up to. I don't like that and it's really not fair. The show didn't hype itself up like that. I shouldn't judge it on its fans' opinions. But human nature is what it is and if you've heard for years that The Wire is a transcendent piece of television better than anything that came before or after then its going to be pretty easy for you to be let down.

So sometimes like with Person of Interest I just wait for the hype and hysteria to die down so I can give it a fair shot. Plus with time people tend to gain perspective so their opinions of the show may change and become more grounded. On the other hand the longer hype exists the more credibility it gains since it's no longer a "fad" or new flavor but rather the consensus opinion.
This is all correct because I agree with it, particularly regarding The Wire which I liked, but didn't love. Expectations are incredibly important. For PoI, Orphan Black, and Hannibal, my initial reaction was "meh, I'll keep watching" and then I just got pulled in for various reasons. For The Americans and Rectify, I went in expecting a lot, and while I wasn't disappointed, I didn't stick with them much beyond their pilots, although that may be because I'm less interested in straight dramas.

precision posted:

I'm sorry. If only my hype had worked for Rectify. :negative:
I'll revisit it, I swear!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Condolences, Deadpool.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Let's be real for a moment: how hard can it be to play two (or five) different characters when each one looks completely different, has a different accent and is so completely different in characterization that the performer doesn't have to add any subtlety to her performance? Its not like Fringe where Anna Torv played slight variations on the same woman. Tattiana's characters in Orphan look and act nothing alike and have nothing in common except that they're played by the same woman.

I guess what I'm saying is that Tattiana is more like Eddie Murphey in The Krumps than Anna Torv on Fringe.
Yeah, but in Orphan Black, they impersonate each other.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Joramun posted:

So do the various Oliviae on Fringe.
Exactly, the two are comparable.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Killing did a rather amazing about face in the third season.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
At its worst, DS9 was never as bad as Voyager. That's just madness.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I initially read that as "boxing episode of B5."

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Can anyone recommend a show similar to Chuck (or the first 3 seasons of Chuck, I should say). Bonus if it's on Netflix. Looking mostly for that style of comedy with some eye candy and a rather light tone, the action is fine but not necessary but I'm looking for comedy + (other genre), not just a straight sitcom. And ideally hour long episodes, so while otherwise Parks and Rec would kinda fit, it's not quite right.
I guess Doctor Who would be similar in some ways, as odd as that sounds. So something like a cross between Chuck and Doctor Who. Firefly is kinda similar too, but I've seen it. Ditto Veronica Mars. But any recommendations along those general lines would be great.
I've been recommended Buffy in the past but after watching the first two or three episodes it really didn't do it for me. I can give it another try if someone recommends it very strongly.
Psych or Warehouse 13 might work.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Xandu posted:

Eureka would work, although sometimes it tries to get a little too serious for it's own good.
It crosses over with Warehouse 13!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I loathe Chevy Chase, but he's legitimately good in Community.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
What the gently caress is a telltale game?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
On a scale of Under the Dome to Dexter Season 8, how bad is it?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So nobody becomes a lumberjack and there's not a perpetually befuddled sheriff's deputy?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
There was a period in the mid to late 90s where Hollywood was absolutely insistent on making her the Next Big Thing.

Christ, that was loving annoying.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Just Shoot Me is a classic sitcom, however.
To me, Just Shoot Me will forever be remembered as the mediocre sitcom NBC chose to push over Newsradio.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
They're going to kill off Fitz or Simmons so that later on, someone will call the remaining one "Fitzsimmons" and it will be awkwardly dramatic and symbolic and poo poo.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

I imagine that the major problem with SHIELD is that you have an army of film and TV execs nixing anything that could even remotely be possibly damaging to the Avengers multibillion dollar brand and that the show people are completely handcuffed as to what they can and can't use.
That could be offset by interesting characters, writing, and direction. Right now it seems stuck in Season 1 Revolution mode, where they put all their effort into explain why the show is middling at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

So a while back I asked about shows similar to Chuck, with a blend of comedy + other genre that were fun, lighthearted, and didn't take themselves too seriously.
I was recommended Warehouse 13
I'm two episodes in.
Either that was a very successful troll or maybe the show gets astronomically better, but it's a pretty bad show imo. It's not really funny at all -- what jokes there are, are delivered horribly. The writing is just really poor all around. So does the show get a lot better or was it all a joke at my expense? Or maybe my tastes are just different from those that recommended it.

On the bright side, I'm watching Moonlighting and it's pretty close to what I was asking for.
I wasn't trolling, but I probably should have warned you that it's a bit of a rough start. The pilot wasn't good, but it gets better about 5 episodes in.

The only time I trolled was when I said Ravenswood was a legitimately good show. It is not.

• Locked thread