Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

precision posted:

Wait, what happened at the end of Big Love? I can imagine it being monumentally stupid, and I of course could wiki it, but I'd rather someone tell me in an humorous way worthy of this here comedy website.

Bill was called back to his home planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chamberk posted:

I always felt like the best finale is The Shield's. Not everyone gets what they deserve, but the tragic way everything falls out feels like the only way it could have ended.

The Shield's ending is the one thing that gives me hope for Sons of Anarchy, though it probably doesn't matter considering how much more intentionally silly the latter is.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm just a little more than halfway through Season 1 of Sons of Anarchy. Am I wrong in thinking it's kind of like Grand Theft Auto the TV Show?

It's more like As The World Turns with Harleys.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DivisionPost posted:

Any man they hire to develop it is just going to be an insult as long as she and Kathryn Bigelow draw breath; at least with Bigelow you can claim that she wants to put her Point Break past behind her and focus on serious war dramas.

The funny thing is Point Break is a pretty good showcase for her talent. Silly story but an extremely well-made film, as is Blue Steel.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I know a lot of people are stoked about Justified coming back but I'm equally pumped for The Americans starting back up in January.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Inspector 34 posted:

Glad to see a bunch of Comedy Bang Bang guests on so far. I want James Adomian to do the show as Tom Lykis god damnit!

If Adomian does a show in character it has to be as Jesse Ventura.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Really, Family Ties?

e: nvm Too Close For Comfort

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
They should just keep these three as the contestants.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

VDay posted:

The next TV show that AMC will eventually try to ruin once it gets popular: an adaptation of the Preacher comic book series. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg to EP.

Sucks HBO passed on it, but there's no way it'll be any better on AMC.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

precision posted:

I don't know how recently any of you have actually read Preacher but it's embarrassingly "90s as gently caress" and "sooooo edgy".

It's a comic book, of course it's gonna be silly.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Irish Joe posted:

Portlandia is back, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQ-HnSIY2s

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's seriously great, it's less a lazy parody of hipsters and more like a surreal sketch comedy show that just happens to use Portland as its backdrop. And it isn't just limited to skewering hipsters:

Yeah it's legit good in spite of Armisen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAXtqmanVIQ

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Irish Joe posted:

I've never heard of the Von Bondies but gently caress you for comparing them to Nirvana.

Totally. What an insult to the Bon Jovies.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

GreenNight posted:

So it was announced that the next season of American Horror Story will take place in a 'spooky carnival'.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/17/american-horror-story-season-4_n_4978440.html

Maybe they'll go for an outre cross-promotion angle and it'll be the Dark Carnival.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Dat haircut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWb_VmUSgPA

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpkEehUd88

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I'll go ahead and admit its been a long time since I've seen the show, but I'm quite certain your perception of how much time was devoted to each plotline is very very skewed there. Also I didn't mind Bobbie Barret either, and a lot of what you said about her reads to me as a strong argument for the season instead of against. :shrug:

Besides Don's affair with her was at least mildly interesting compared to the last one with time-traveling Lindsay Weir.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I liked 12 Oz Mouse, and it'd be neat if the Williams Street people did another show which wasn't straight forward comedy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Irish Joe posted:

Finally, someone is looking at the true human toll of the Manhattan Project: Oppenheimer's strained marriage.

It just needs Richard Feynman as the safe-cracking wiseacre comic relief.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That poo poo's like Enthiran minus plot or action or anything remotely entertaining besides boob window.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The last line of the AV Club review nailed it:

quote:

The producers have managed to isolate everything that’s gross and charmless about European fantasy comics, as if they thought the beauty and kinetic energy of the artwork is what’s most disposable about them. Metal Hurlant Chronicles is the kind of thing that gives adolescent male power fantasies a bad name.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Ok we need to differentiate between production companies and showrunners here guys.

The showrunner thing came from writers becoming producers because that's where the money is. Also you guys forgot Carsey-Werner and MTM, which basically created the concept of the showrunner.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HorseRenoir posted:

This feels like the closest modern-day analogue to Liquid Television: http://video.adultswim.com/off-the-air/index.html

Some of that reminds me of Paper Rad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIRBbyvoigg

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
This can only be good:

quote:

Starz has given a two-season, 20-episode order to a live-action comedy from Seth MacFarlane and scribe Jonathan Ames to star Patrick Stewart.

“Blunt Talk” will be produced by Media Rights Capital and targeted to premiere next year. Stewart will play a British newscaster, Walter Blunt, who comes to America to conquer cable news. Starz’s significant commitment to the project that was shopped to pay-TV outlets, including Netflix and Showtime, signals the cabler’s interest in building a lineup of half-hour comedies.

“In the character of Walter Blunt, Seth, Jonathan and Patrick have found the alchemy that makes a borderline alcoholic, mad-genius-Brit the man you want fighting in America’s corner,” Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said. “Seth and Jonathan have struck the right balance between biting wit and outright absurdity in building this world, and we cannot wait for Patrick to breathe life into Walter.”

Ames created the series and will serve as showrunner. MacFarlane will exec produce through his Fuzzy Door Prods. The show will not be produced through 20th Century Fox TV, where MacFarlane has the bulk of his TV projects. MRC is in business with MacFarlane on the feature side with “Ted” and its upcoming sequel and the hyphenate’s latest project, “A Million Ways to Die in the West.”

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm just not going to pass judgment until I see the drat thing. MacFarlane is so insanely inconsistent there's no point presuming it will be either good or bad.

He's just fronting the money. Jonathan Ames is the showrunner.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Cedric the Entertainer is stepping down as the host of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, citing the show's move to Connecticut.

Deadline is reporting that Terry Crews may be offered the gig. And I swear to God, if he hosts it in Old Spice mode I will move to CT and attend every taping.

Pretty sure the real story there is Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is still a show.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've heard that "even if it's annoying it forms an association" nonsense so many times and it is bunk. Yes, it does form an association, but it isn't a good one for the company. It ensure that I will never buy that product.

You mean you didn't get Head-On and apply directly to the forehead?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

Louie is back tonight for a new season right? Because everywhere else on the internet seems to point to yes, but no thread and no chatter here...

Yeah two episodes each week. He sent out an email today to everyone signed up to his site.

Louis CK posted:

Hello friend.

This is Louis C.K. I'm a comedian. You know about me from something or other. Anyway, sorry to bother you. I just wanted to let you know that my series on FX, LOUIE, returns for it's fourth season tonight at 10pm. Tonight being Monday, May 5th. There will be 2 episodes tonight, 10 and 10:30 and there will be 2 episodes every Monday for the next 7 weeks.
I took a year off between last season and this one, mostly so I could have more time to do the show, to make it better. This season is very different from past seasons. The first three episodes are pretty typical of what we've done in the past, Self-contained stories. But the next 6 episodes after that are all connected in one story. Then we have a three part story and a two part story. So lots of… parts stories. Yeah.
Anyway, I just wanted to make you aware that the show is coming back tonight.
If you live in a part of the world that doesn't get the show at the same time then I'm sorry to bother you.
I hope you all have a great Spring and summer. Enjoy the show tonight.

Regards,

Louis CK

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahahaha, the Mom Computer Therapy skit on Inside Amy Schumer is me every time I try to show my mom how to use anything on her computer or iPhone :allears:

Yeah that poo poo hit a little too close to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

We've had to cope with fast changing tech all our lives. None of our parents grew up in a world that had home computers, but we all did.

That and consumer technology will get more simplified on the user end as time goes on.

• Locked thread