Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
One thing that doesn't get talked about is the acting in Breaking Bad. It's a great show but gently caress do the 2 leads absolutely kill it.

E: Especially Jesse, talk about a career performence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I just finished the most recent season of HIMYM on Netflix and what the gently caress. The shows arcs are still good, like the episode where Barney and Robin get engaged was breathtaking but they just keep finding dumb and lovely ways to drag the show on. I've said it before but if this show was half it's total length it might be my favorite sitcom of all time, it's a great example of how fluff can just gently caress with your show.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

raditts posted:

Really? Because I thought that whole thing was extremely weird and creepy, even if it was totally in character for him. Doubly so that the show treated that as a totally normal and acceptable thing to do.

Well, you know actually you're kind of right. It's just that music man, that show really knows how to make a soundtrack.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

zoux posted:

Through my epic and may I add, heroic, effort to watch all of Cheers, I've noticed that Fraser has said his father was both a scientist and dead. Did they retcon that for the spinoff or were they just like, eh it's a sitcom what kind of worthless nerd would remember a couple of throwaway lines in a couple of episodes?

It's revealed that Frasier was full of poo poo. It's quite clever actually.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

zoux posted:

I'm going to watch Fraser next, just 3.5 seasons of Cheers to go.

Get ready for absolute magic friend.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
About a season and a half into The Office, wow, how have I not watched this. Also, I kind of feel really bad for Michael, is that bad?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

soapgish posted:

Yes. As you watch, you'll learn that Michael is a small, contemptuous sociopath who goes out of his way to be a bane to everyone around him. I watched the entire series (well, skimmed the last season) and I never once understood why he was liked.

I mean, the guy is an rear end in a top hat, but I can't help but feel sorry for him, I tend to sympathize a lot with those sorts though for some reason. drat funny show though, it's very dry, just my type of humor.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

thexerox123 posted:

Have you seen the original UK series? It's even better, and ends on the perfect note.

And David Brent is way more sympathetic than Michael Scott.

How much of a difference is there? I watched the first episode but it didn't draw me in as much, the acting seemed worse and just in general the cast of characters didn't feel as instantly perfect as in the US version. What's actually different?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

soapgish posted:

As impressed as you are now, you're in for a hell of a treat as you move forward. Among the cast as a whole and individually there develops a fantastic chemistry and some ripe, slow-but-earned character development for a lot of the characters.

God, I just loving love a good sitcom. I mean, I enjoy Breaking Bad and all that, but just some nice easily digestible, bite sized, situational comedy really does it for me.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Wandle Cax posted:

Ha ha what? You've got it way backwards. There is no sympathizing with David Brent, he is a deservedly contemptible little man. A totally clueless, horrible self centered man. That's what makes the Office brilliant, watching this delusional guy stumble through his miserable life. Michael Scott is not as bad and at least shows moments of being human over the course of the series.

Really, it's moments like the Halloween party that really got me. He's an rear end but, jesus, the guy just looks so loving pathetic.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there a chart somewhere that just tells me when I should stop watching a show? It seems like barely any are as good at the beginning as they are at the end. I mean, other media doesn't have this problem, why is it just TV?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

Musicians get progressively less relevant as they age. Movie sequels are notoriously awful. Book sequels, if they're ever finished, are typically worse than the original (Harry Potter being the exception that proves the rule). The only media that improves over time are video games, and really only because they have to keep up with the standards of the day.

I don't like any of the Harry Potters that much aside from the 3rd but maybe that's because I'm weird. (Also I only remember the movies it's been a while since I read the books)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Did I just see the SA grenade in the background of The Office?

E: Episode "The Carpet" 13:30 in the background as Michael-Scott is talking for reference.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 3, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

lelandjs posted:

If you haven't been watching South Park, they just wrapped up a trilogy of Black Friday/Game of Thrones parody episodes. Not quite as good as Imagineland was, but still quite good.

For a show with the stigma that it has, South Park is oddly, good.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there a comedian thread? Netflix has all these comedy features and I just loving love stand up.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, Community's musical Christmas episode wasn't ratings gold either despite prominently featuring Allison Brie's cleavage.

Community's Christmas episode loving rules, screw the naysayers :colbert:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Are you implying that Chevy Chase ever gave a gently caress?

Pierce is really well written and when Chase made it work, it loving worked. I think he's a loss to they dynamic of the show, not as much as Troy will be. I really don't know how they're going to write around that.

E: Honestly, I can't remember a moment that sticks out to me as "man he's doing bad there"

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 7, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mo0 posted:

At the bare minimum for the first season it really felt like he was giving it all he had and really cared. Then he decided he was too good for the show or something and just visibly wasn't trying as hard. Then, in the third season, it felt like they were writing around him to get him either off screen for an episode or off by himself so he would be out of the way.

Can you give some examples of this?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

CaptainHollywood posted:

On a whim, my friend and I just watched the first four episodes of Orange is the New Black. Despite my incredible disdain for Jenji Kohan this show is pretty good. Not amazing, but great casting/performances/production really help take it up a notch. The only moment I found a little eye rolling was the screwdriver incident seemed so obvious. It reminds me a bit like Breaking Bad in that if it weren't for the spots of humour this would be an incredibly dark show.

I really love this show, it's really been a great watch between me and my girlfriend. It does the "black comedy" really well, I just hope it's not going to jump the shark because it's going in that direction.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Slamhound posted:

What the gently caress is a telltale game?

They made a Walking Dead game a while ago that was excellent and really just plays like a movie that you have imput on. If you have any love for the TV show or comic series definitely check it out. It's some top grade poo poo.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think my favorite part of the office is how they do a real good job at keeping everything interesting by switching the characters relationships around and changing their status. It's a great idea.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
does anyone have more Dads clips that are just awful? There's something so beautiful about just awful poo poo, I can't look away.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Duke posted:

There's one episode of Dads where one of the dudes goes to get a prostate exam, and the doctor dies after putting his finger in his rear end. The rest of the episode is like that scene from There's Something About Mary where everyone is checking out Ben Stiller's cock stuck in his zipper.

I actually legitimately laughed once or twice during it :negative:

:stare: holy poo poo this sounds amazing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

jeffersonlives posted:

I think a lot of these end up being that shows hold off putting the unresolved sexual tension couple together and then do it around the time the show is becoming bad for unrelated reasons. A good counterexample to "Moonlighting syndrome" is How I Met Your Mother, which had by far its best season when putting the key couple together, then got progressively worse after breaking them up and going back to near-constant and increasingly terrible will they/won't they stuff. And now we're in season 9 and they still tease that same unresolved tension and it's basically like a death march.

You mean Robin and Ted? Yeah, that's gotta be one of the most painful will they won't they bits in recent memory.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think Dr. Horrible is great and Firefly is really really great.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kai Tave posted:

Technically killing Coulson wasn't Whedon's idea, as per discussion earlier in this very thread I think, but Jeph Loeb's. I think Whedon even jokes about it on the commentary track that when the suggestion was made he told Loeb "Do you know what kind of reputation I have and you want me to do what?"

I also think Firefly is pretty great. I came at Whedon's work in a funny order...the first thing I ever watched of his was Firefly which I did when it was first airing as a random "what the hell" watch and I thought it was awesome, then it got cancelled and I was disappointed, then I got over it which frankly I wish a lot of obsessive Firefly fans would do...sorry guys, sometimes poo poo sucks but seriously, it's all right to let it go now. I then went and checked out Buffy which I found decent for the first few seasons, then around season four it lost its luster. I watched a few episodes of Angel after that but ehhh.

Years and years later I'd give Alien Resurrection a shot and yep, pretty terrible, but I wouldn't even begin call it the start of the slow death of the franchise when Alien 3 still exists.

I skipped Dollhouse and don't feel a lot of regret over that one, and for a thing basically made on a shoestring budget by some pals goofing around Dr. Horrible is all right but I never really thought it was as great as a lot of people do.

I haven't seen any Whedon aside from those two, but Firefly is seriously loving incredible. Every single element is just magnificent, acting, visuals, music, directing. It's just a thrilling show.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kai Tave posted:

Firefly is kind of anomalous of the Whedon shows I've seen in that it really hit the ground running from the start. Don't go a watch Buffy season one, for example, if you're hoping for something like that because you'll be sorely disappointed.

I really liked Greg Edmonson's score for the show and was annoyed they didn't get him to do the movie (which was middling at best but at least we'd have gotten a better soundtrack out of it).

Really, if you feel like for some reason in your heart you really need closure for Firefly, watch the movie, if not, it's not really worth your time. It's really average, which is a drat shame.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kraps posted:

The movie didn't give me closure just more heartache :argh:

Wash :qq:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Really, you have to think of Dr. Horrible as a small thing to enjoy it, if you can buy the blog-web show thing it's got going on you're going to have a much better time than thinking of it as a real production. Also, a little unrelated, I once was a part of a Dr. Horrible performance, it was a good time. It works quite well as a live theater thing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Because they're convinced that if Fox hadn't messed with the airdates/episode order, it would have been a massive, massive hit.

I mean, they're wrong, Firefly was great but it would never have been a massive hit, but that's why they still cling to it - the potential they feel was lost.

After reading the places they were planning to take the show, it's a huge shame. Plus, there's not really a show since that really has such perfect character chemisty, that and everyone involved was really, really loving into what they were doing. It's silly, but for a Whedon fan I can see being bummed that he never really got a shot at his "mastepiece".

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

raditts posted:

hilariously terrible theme song

And here I thought we could ever be friends raditts. :mad:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kraps posted:

Killing a main cast member just for "drama", especially a likable one like Wash, almost never works and in the case of Serenity had the gorram opposite effect. WHEEEDONNNNNNNNN!

It was a really bad decision and had no bearing on anything and I'm really confused as to why it was made, you already had your whole character dies thing and it worked why pointlessly try and double up?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Sophia posted:

I feel that there is a horrible "The Office"-style television show about a bunch of incompetent internet posters going through the daily grind of trying to get upvoted on Reddit and failing. I think this could air on the Onion network.

I'd watch the something awful sitcom. Hell, I'd probably be in it! :v:

E: Heh, FYAD amirite? (laughtrack)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

zoux posted:

Everybody stop apologizing for jokes!

This post lacks a meta-apology for your post in some way, step your game up zoux!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

precision posted:

I just want to go on record that I've never raped, killed, or stolen things. The worst thing I've got on my record are speeding tickets!

I steal stuff and do drugs. Oh well.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

zoux posted:

Haha at nerds thinking anime inspires anything outside of Darren Aranovsky movies.

anime inspires a lot, and I mean a loving lot of online fanfiction. There's quantities that would make astrologist amazed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JediTalentAgent posted:

Anime shares elements with another anime: They're part of the same sub-genre, there is natural overlap.
Anime shares elements with a non-anime: It's a coincidence, an homage or it inspired it. But it's still ALL original. Nothing else!
Non-anime shares elements with anime: It's a rip-off! HOW DARE THEY!

Avatar the Last Airbender is an anime show

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Slamhound posted:

Anime is cartoons like The Flintstones, right?

Imagine all the girls had tits the size of their heads and yeah basically

E: Also eyes, eyes the size of their tits.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

precision posted:

Well couch chat sure got weird in a hurry.

:munch:

Mad Men is overrated IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Deadpool posted:

You're doing it wrong. Watch.

Orphan Black isn't very good at all.

I really couldn't get into Madmen. It looks pretty but there just doesn't feel like anything is going on. Look at Breaking Bad's opening, that had poo poo happening. It has downtime sure, but there's no opening lull, I hate an opening lull. Start your drat show off with a loving bang or don't start it at all.

• Locked thread