Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Death to fold-out couches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

If you don't just lie in bed to watch TV then get out :colbert:

I bought an articulated arm so I can watch TV on my iPad while flat on my back in bed. It is pro-tier lounging.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah it's that magical time of year where I can't watch any shows on Fox for three weeks :allears: And P&R is on hiatus until next year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh hell yeah are we gonna do this!?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Breaking Bad's "finale" wasn't a finale. It bucked the trend of back loading the final episode with everything and instead put the series climax at the second to last episode, with the final two episodes serving as the resolution. So comparing the final episode of Breaking Bad with other finales is dumb and specious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Since when does a finale have to have the climax of the story in it to qualify as a finale?

Have you seen Lost? Would you say its climax is in the finale, or a whole season before that?

The writers of Breaking Bad deliberately titled the last episode using an anagram of "finale", so I don't think they'd agree with your assessment.

You aren't going to trick me into talking about the Lost finale.

But yes it was a finale in the sense that it was the last episode of the series. There is a trend in TV to have the arc climax in the final episode and then spend just a few minutes wrapping things up, which is why they are so often disappointing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harlock posted:

Personally, the penultimate episode of a season/series always seems to have all the heavy hitting stuff in it, while the finale is just wrapping up the events of the previous episode or establishing next season.

HBO does this, but other networks? The Fringe series finale was all back-loaded, the Haven s3 finale was and the Continuum finale as well. Nothing particularly notable about those choices of shows, those are just the last three finales I watched.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Was there a point in TV history where a show would have one director for a whole season or even a series? Why do shows swap around directors instead of having a regular guy/gal?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Lots of sitcoms had the same directors. Especially multi-cams.

Even still?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I think it's largely so that they can shoot/prep in parallel. If you're working on a week-to-week basis/tight schedule, you can't be focusing on doing the prep for an episode next week if you're busy directing a different episode this week. Meanwhile, the showrunner/executive producers take on the role of overseeing the season/show as a whole.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Louis is doing this crazy auteur thing where he is basically in charge of every aspect of his show (I believe he hired an editor starting in s3) so what he's doing is a significant outlier.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jon Cassar directed 59 episodes of 24.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lugaloco posted:

Yeah after the "Fly" episode of Breaking Bad I started paying attention to him. Rian going on to do the "Fifty-One" and above all "Ozymandias" episodes as well as Looper has solidified him as someone to look out for in the future.

Michelle Maclaren is another one of the Breaking Bad directors to keep an eye on. She directed eleven episodes, including Madrigal and One Minute. She's also directed 4 episodes of GoT and one of TWD, so she's worked on like the three hottest shows of the last couple of years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are we Michelle MacLaren bros....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris) is another Voyager actor who mostly directs now.

Apparently, Jonathan Frakes was such an efficient director on TNG that his coworkers nicknamed him "Two Takes Frakes".

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I imagine it's a side effect of just how loving dull a Trek script is that over the course of what must feel like aeons the actors become disillusioned with the profession and spend all their working days wishing they were doing something, anything, else. And the most prominent profession in their proximity is directing.
Actors wanting to direct is an old, old joke by now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh no doubt, but you've heard the joke: "What I really want to do is direct..."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

I was about to say something incredulous but realized I had confused Blue Steel with Blue Thunder. Shut up, I just woke up.

You mean Airwolf: The Movie?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am. It needs to improve to get really good, but there are usually a couple of hilarious jokes per show. Andre Braugher rules.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parachute posted:

I think it feels like it's already hit its stride pretty well. Someone on IRC said "it feels like a show in its 2nd season" and I couldn't agree more.

Oh the cast is definitely very comfortable for a first season show, but some of the characters and jokes don't particularly work. Samberg is really good (I like the Archer-like conceit of him being very good at his job despite being a jackass), and like I said, Braugher is excellent. Terry Crews and Stephanie Beatriz are good as well. I like both Joe Lo Truglio and Chelsea Peretti as actors, but I don't care for their characters very much, especially not Peretti's. And I'm not sold on Melissa Fumero at all. I mean I watch it every week which is a ringing loving endorsement from me, but it needs to make a few steps to get to the next level.

I will say this though, when was the last time you saw a cast with zero WASPs in it? It's probably the most diverse comedy on any network currently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I find poi to be pretty bland as far as staples go.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

They probably don't. She was on Mom this week and when I first saw her I thought she looked like a pug dog in a dress, so I can only imagine how America-at-large will react to her. Has she done any good movies or tv shows before? Not that it matters (see: Rebel Wilson), but I'm still puzzled as to why they're considering her for the lead of a network procedural. You'd think they'd find an actress with a little more gravitas, like Betty Buckley, Diana Rigg or Angela Bassett.

Uh she's won an Oscar?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Occupation posted:

since posts about your being a terrible poster are terrible posts in and of themselves

You know what's even worse than that? All these posts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The bigger problem is that GBS is stealing our threads http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576734
:mad:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is Jonathan Creek any good?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zombies remain the new zombies, witches are the new vampires, which are now the old wolfmen, who in turn will soon be the new witches.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Has there been a worse name for a show than "Super Fun Night" in recent memory? My girlfriend got into it recently and the name makes me think it's some kind of Adventure Time spinoff/ripoff, not a show about actual adult humans.

Every British old-person detective drama? "A Touch of Frost" oh ho ho.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

Someone made a show that's better than Homeland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1zL106SGZ8

This is great.

HBO just released the second trailer for True Detectives:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roiKrE5KLbk

Basically, OMG this show looks loving amazing. Also I think that's Russel from True Blood as a revival tent preacher :swoon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

I'm randomly watching the first episode of Angel. I can't believe it's been almost 15 years since this first aired.

I can't remember, is it in 4:3 or 16:9?

I went on a detective show kick this week, I watched The Fall, Top of the Lake and Longmire. Top of the Lake and The Fall are interesting to compare as different views on feminist noir and Longmire is basically just ok, but the cast owns.

I know The Fall has a second season coming, but is Top of the Lake one-and-done?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yayyy baseball is over!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Who won baseball?

The Boston Red Socks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That CBS/Time Warner slapfight cost TWC 300k subs:getin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Back in the closet Mentalist watchers! Next thing we'll have people talking about unironically enjoying NCIS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

Watching little kids talk about all the hard work they put in to get there and how, no matter what, they won't give up on their dreams, in miniature duplication of inane reality-show talking-head banter, is magical.

Were any of them there to make friends?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Am I gonna have to post the double hacking vid? Don't make me do that poo poo y'all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So Walking Dead beat Sunday Night Football in the demo on Sunday again. Which is loving CRAZY.

I'd've posted this in the TWD thread but they don't really care about TV over there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually they are doing this:

But the leaves are money.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

If this show starts winning (big) awards, I'm gonna walk into the loving ocean.

Get your swim trunks ready.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I watched the first episode and it was really, really bad.

What's the premise? A Secret Service dude is kidnapped at home and forced to do stuff? Wasn't there a Harrison Ford movie about that already?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bown posted:

What major television award could Walking Dead conceivably win? Best Dumb Bunch of Boring Idiots?

Yes, the world in which bad shows and actors never win Emmys.

Though I don't think TWD is a bad show by any stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

It's not. And the thread isn't even that bad anymore. It's been mostly readable for a couple weeks now. Except for the few people that seem to still not actually be paying attention to the show they're posting about.

Gotta make cool "stuff and things" jokes mate! No time for comprehension!

• Locked thread