Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies is the long-awaited 5th entry in the mainline Ace Attorney games, featuring Phoenix Wright’s triumphant return to the defense bench. Dual Destinies is being released October 24th, on the Nintendo eshop only, in both NA and EU. So far, it seems the consensus from overseas is that Dual Destinies is at - or near - the level of the original trilogy. A demo is available on the eshop.

I repeat, the game is digital download only. A physical release just wouldn't have been profitable for Capcom.

Plot

Dual Destinies takes place a year after the events of Apollo Justice, with Phoenix Wright returning to his old career as a defense attorney, brand new teenage girl in tow. The first case of the game has Phoenix defending a young girl accused of detonating an explosive in the courthouse. Although Phoenix returns as a playable character, Apollo Justice isn't absent, returning as well. Furthermore, Dual Destinies is meant to be beginner friendly, so understanding the game’s plot is not dependent on having played previous games.

Characters:

Phoenix Wright:

Renowned for his ability to turn the most hopeless of cases around with wild accusations and unabashed bluffing, Phoenix was eventually disbarred after being tricked into presenting a piece of forged evidence in a murder trial. During the events of Apollo Justice, this came to light, and so Phoenix has been allowed to return to the bench. Runs the Wright Anything Agency, a law firm/talent agency, featuring his adopted daughter Trucy, and rookie attorneys Apollo Justice and Athena Cykes.

Voice Clips:

Objection!
Hold it!
Take That!

Athena Cykes:

The new sidekick character for the game, Athena is a rookie attorney at Phoenix’s law firm, who specializes in analytical psychology. Very energetic and somewhat hotblooded, Athena is another playable character alongside Apollo and Phoenix, responsible for the games new “Mood Matrix” mechanic.

Voice Clips:

Objection!
Hold it!
Take That!

Apollo Justice:

The protagonist of Ace Attorney 4, Apollo returns as another playable character in Dual Destinies. Injured in the courtroom explosion during the first case, resulting in his kicking rad new look. Although Dual Destinies marks Phoenix's Wright triumphant return, Apollo is equally important, and thus receives a respectable amount of character development.

Voice Clips:

Objection!
Hold It!
Take That!

Simon Blackquill:

The new prosecutor for Dual Destinies, Simon Blackquill has been allowed to stand as a prosecutor despite currently serving a sentence for murder.

Voice Clips:

Objection!

Miles Edgeworth:

Phoenix’s longtime friend/rival, Miles has been promoted to Chief Prosecutor in the interim between AA3 and Dual Destinies.

Voice Clips:

Objection!

Trucy Wright:

Phoenix’s adopted daughter, for reasons that can be best summed up as: Zack Gramarye is a jerk. Apollo’s sidekick in Ace Attorney 4, and his half-sister, unbeknownst to either of them. (Phoenix knows. He should tell them.)

Bobby Fullbright:

The new detective for Dual Destinies, Bobby is a hot blooded believer in justice, and Simon Blackquill's minder while he serves as a prosecutor.

New Features!:

Mood Matrix:

The Mood Matrix is Athena’s special ability. During Mood Matrix testimonies, the emotions felt by the testifier during each statement will be displaced, allowing the player to point out contradictory emotions.

Thought Route:

Thought Route is similar to the logic system from Ace Attorney Investigations, letting you review vital facts of the case to come to new conclusions, by internally answering questions about the case and answering new questions that arise as a consequence of your first answer.

Returning Mechanics:

Both Psyche-Locks and the Perceive System from the original trilogy and Ace Attorney 4 respectively return in Dual Destinies, although the Perceive System is now used only in investigations.

3D animations:

The game ditches the 2d sprite art from the previous game for full 3D models. Does it work? You decide:

Animated Cutscenes:

The game also features some full fledged animated cutscenes, courtesy of studio Bones.

DLC:

Dual Destinies will also feature a new DLC case, unrelated to the rest of the game, as well as several DLC costumes for the cast.

Media:

English Trailer
A bunch of trailers:
Opening Cutscene: English Dubbed

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Reserved

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for this to come out on Thursday. Anyone know the file size?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've only played the first 3 games, but what happened to Maya?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Gaseous Snake posted:

Can't wait for this to come out on Thursday. Anyone know the file size?

It's 4432 blocks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm going to buy this and play it the millisecond it comes out, however I am really, REALLY upset Gumshoe is not in it. He's my favorite character and this is a kick in the face. (Entire game spoiler.)

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Aerox posted:

It's 4432 blocks

Dammit

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^ Maybe we should avoid putting spoilers for the entire game on the first page of the thread, alright?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
It's been a long time since I've played an Ace Attorney game (I never got around to playing AAI, so my last one was Apollo Justice). I'm looking forward to getting back on the horse.

Does anybody know if Maya is going to start existing again in this one? I know it's probably kind of weird but the way she completely vanished into the ether in AJ was probably the thing that bothered me most about that game. I don't mind that they're swapping in new sidekick characters, but barely acknowledging her existence felt like a really conspicuous omission.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hace posted:

^^^ Maybe we should avoid putting spoilers for the entire game on the first page of the thread, alright?

It's in spoiler tags and even says that it's for the entire game.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Just saying that it's kind of typically uncool to be dropping major spoilers like that, spoiler tags or not.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hace posted:

Just saying that it's kind of typically uncool to be dropping major spoilers like that, spoiler tags or not.

That's sort of the point of spoiler tags.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I have to say, after playing the trailer, I'm really satisfied with the voice work. The dude who did Wright in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is back, and he has an excellent "confident but still goofy" voice. Athena's voice is good too, and I love that her (and pretty much the rest of the cast) is pumped as hell all the time.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I perfectly understand why they wouldn't bring back their old VAs, since I'm pretty sure they were actually just random members of the staff, but I'm going to miss Phoenix's and Edgeworth's old objections.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hace posted:

It's not a major spoiler and is even implied by the OP where his replacement is introduced as the "new detective".

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
My roommate and I watched the Ace Attorney movie yesterday.
It only got my more pumped to get this downloaded so I can play.

Unfortunately I work Thursday and Friday for basically the entire day. So I'll not likely get much play time in. But Saturday is my day off, so I plan on enjoying the hell out of it then.

I'm hoping that it's got a fair bit of length to it. After all this time waiting I'd hate for it to be over too quickly.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
That movie was ballin, I'm having some major trouble getting my 3DS online thanks to university residence, will I be able to connect to a Starbucks?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

CandyCrazy posted:

I perfectly understand why they wouldn't bring back their old VAs, since I'm pretty sure they were actually just random members of the staff, but I'm going to miss Phoenix's and Edgeworth's old objections.

I honestly felt this way until earlier today. Thinking about it, though... Well, they skipped over the better part of a decade in-story, so it would make sense that their voices have changed (especially considering they're in their thirties, now).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Austrian mook posted:

That movie was ballin, I'm having some major trouble getting my 3DS online thanks to university residence, will I be able to connect to a Starbucks?

Any place that has an attwifi hotspot, you should be able to get online without even having to do anything.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Is anyone else hoping for an iOS release sometime soon? I'd love one because Nintendo's download system is jacked up beyond belief, and I wouldn't be surprised if DD & AJ get iOS releases considering how 1-3 came out earlier this year.

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.
What time will this be released on the eShop?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
gently caress it, someone just tell me. Maya has to be in this game, right? :ohdear:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm irritated, I may have spoiled a big plot twist for myself for the final case when I was trying to just find music for this game. Dammit, youtube preview images! :argh: Also, never read comments for the game's music ever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Trademarked posted:

What time will this be released on the eShop?

9AM Pacific, I imagine. (I wanna say the PAL release will drop around noon UK time, but don't quote me on that.)

File size is ~600MB.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

9AM Pacific, I imagine. (I wanna say the PAL release will drop around noon UK time, but don't quote me on that.)

File size is ~600MB.

How many blocks is 600 MB? 6,000?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pastrymancy posted:

How many blocks is 600 MB? 6,000?

~4500. That's based on the size of the JP version, the NA/PAL versions may differ a little.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

It's amazing how one picture can make me go from
"eh, I just got Luigi's Mansion and I've barely scratched Fire Emblem. Might hold off on getting this"
to
"Holy poo poo that Whale has a mustache! Day one purchase!"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

gently caress it, someone just tell me. Maya has to be in this game, right? :ohdear:

Naw man she's an old hag now, gotta make way for the new 16-year old eye candy.

I don't know if she's in the game or not, but that all kind of bugs me, as though Phoenix is some kind of creepy Doctor Who. I'm sure Athena is fine, though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
In a stunning show of benevolence, CAPCOM makes the first DLC, Maya's big reunion with Phoenix, being a reenacting of Turnabout Sisters with Maya taking the place of Mia.:shepicide:

Can I still leave the DS plugged in and watch a certain animation for hours if I don't press a button to advance?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I am buying a 3DS. For one game. gently caress.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ilifinicus posted:

I am buying a 3DS. For one game. gently caress.

Professor Layton x Ace Attorney is out early next year, so that makes two.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad

Crabtree posted:

In a stunning show of benevolence, CAPCOM makes the first DLC, Maya's big reunion with Phoenix, being a reenacting of Turnabout Sisters with Maya taking the place of Mia.:shepicide:

Can I still leave the DS plugged in and watch a certain animation for hours if I don't press a button to advance?

WHY DID I READ THE SPOILER TEXT?!

My soul hurts.

Super excited, I believe it comes out in 3 and a half hours for me, Australia ways!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

Super excited, I believe it comes out in 3 and a half hours for me, Australia ways!

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if they actually give it to us on AUS time, rather than releasing it on EU time as with every other eShop game.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Crabtree posted:

What are you talking about? The first DLC is that case with the orca. I'm playing through it right now, well into the second day and there's no sign of anything you mentioned in your "spoiler".

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

leather fedora posted:

What are you talking about? The first DLC is that case with the orca. I'm playing through it right now, well into the second day and there's no sign of anything you mentioned in your "spoiler".

Hopefully it will stay only as a painfully bad joke. :v:

Please Capcom, don't be this much of a dick. Come on man, I bought this game new, will purhase every DLC and LP3 when it was on sale. Don't burn this franchise's last chance to the ground in a fit of consumer hate. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
He said 'makes,' not 'made.' It was a joke.

Anyway, the dude voicing Phoenix is Sam Riegal, who you might recognize as Flynn in Tales of Vesperia, Jude in Tales of Xillia, Donatello in the 2003 TMNT cartoon, and Teddie in Persona 4 Golden/Arena/The Animation.

And Rex Raptor in yu-gi-oh. :shepface:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ohnoitschris posted:

Is anyone else hoping for an iOS release sometime soon? I'd love one because Nintendo's download system is jacked up beyond belief, and I wouldn't be surprised if DD & AJ get iOS releases considering how 1-3 came out earlier this year.
They put such shockingly little effort into both iOS ports of AA1 and AA1-3 that I can't imagine them even trying with AA5.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Sorry, long day at work.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Endorph posted:

He said 'makes,' not 'made.' It was a joke.

Anyway, the dude voicing Phoenix is Sam Riegal, who you might recognize as Flynn in Tales of Vesperia, Jude in Tales of Xillia, Donatello in the 2003 TMNT cartoon, and Teddie in Persona 4 Golden/Arena/The Animation.

And Rex Raptor in yu-gi-oh. :shepface:

He's the same voice actor from Marvel VS Capcom 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVFQbTNOzKo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

No Maya no buy, lovely Capcom.

• Locked thread