Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Janissary Hop posted:

No Maya no buy, lovely Capcom.

Well, Pearl is definitely in the game, not to mention Edgeworth. It's not like AA4 where they basically completely ignore everyone Phoenix has ever known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lord Chumley posted:

He's the same voice actor from Marvel VS Capcom 3.

I really love MvC videos of Nick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0tbSLG3Xw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5l_-5Dbdc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzW6etCf03Q

It's like watching a case unfold in fighting game format.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Janissary Hop posted:

No Maya no buy, lovely Capcom.

:smith::hf::smith:
How can you have Nick become a lawyer again without being accompanied by Maya? That is the antithesis of good sense and story telling.

Yet I still just put $30 on my eShop account.

Terper posted:

I really love MvC videos of Nick.

Lythero is a great person. Phoenix supremacy for life.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So it's not a midnight release? That's too bad.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Yeah, constantly checking the AU store. Guess it's cause it's not really a high profile release.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Suspicious Cook posted:

:smith::hf::smith:
How can you have Nick become a lawyer again without being accompanied by Maya? That is the antithesis of good sense and story telling
To be fair Maya would now be 27. She probably has her own life. She channels dead people, maybe she joined Angel Investigations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
About Maya: Pearl delivers a letter to Phoenix from her. So even if she doesn't appear directly, her existence is given much more credence than AJ's "this kid I know" treatment

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 23, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it'd be cool if didn't post late-game spoilers before the game is even out, tagged or not. Maybe that's just me :shrug:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Your inability to resist the temptation of hovering over spoiler text is YOUR problem, not mine. If we can't discuss spoilers in a thread about the game, where can we discuss them?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here's an idea: Don't. It's out tommorow, would it kill you to wait just a few days?

I mean, you're definitely allowed to post endgame spoilers to a popular story-heavy game in the first few pages, if they're behind spoilers of course. You're still a bit of a dick for doing so though.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

People are asking a question that concerns the plot of the game. It is categorically impossible to provide a meaningful answer to that question without giving away at least SOME element of that plot.

And by the way, the game IS already out in Japan, so it's not like these are deeply held company secrets that some one had to violate an NDA to get to me.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

I think you could spoil it in a less detailed way at least. Just say Pearl brings you a letter from Maya and leave it at that.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Edit: Ayup.

Terper fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 25, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Regarding the DLC, the costume DLC is free for anyone who buys the game until November 7.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Fine. I'll edit out the offensive part, but in turn I recommend that you edit that parts of your post that commit the same offense.

This series isn't nearly popular enough to warrant multiple threads.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Turns out I can't read and I have more than enough space for Dual Destinies! :toot:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Plom Bar posted:

This series isn't nearly popular enough to warrant multiple threads.

Well now you're just pointing out a huge flaw in humanity.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Waffleman_ posted:

Regarding the DLC, the costume DLC is free for anyone who buys the game until November 7.

Where did you read this? I was looking around for DLC info at the Capcom-Unity site, but I couldn't find any information beyond "it's coming to America at some point."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Court Records Twitter posted it, so I'm assuming they got those dates from somewhere.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
The free DLC deal was the same for the Japan release, so I'm glad that they're also giving the same deal to us. :toot:

Also, who cares about Maya

edit and Gumshoe

If people choose to not give this game a chance because their favourite-past-characters might not show up in the game, then I've got low opinion on them because the game is already filled to the brim with excellent characters.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 23, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Someone please tell me that Gumshoe at least moonlights in this game.

gently caress it; lie to me and say Maya and Gumshoe team up to form a supernatural detective agency in a spinoff series.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Barudak posted:

gently caress it; lie to me and say Maya and Gumshoe team up to form a supernatural detective agency in a spinoff series.

Yup, they even named the agency Ghost Trick.

e: I should replay Ghost Trick someday.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

havenwaters posted:

Yup, they even named the agency Ghost Trick.

e: I should replay Ghost Trick someday.

I love that loving game. I tried it at first and got confused and put it down for like two years. Then I promised myself no 3DS until I finished all my DS games. Ghost Trick was the last one and I was like "arrrgh." But then I got the hang of it and was like "Oh, I see, this is the best handheld game I've ever played, hmm."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There is a disappointing lack of

in the OP. (Thanks again to I think HelloWinter for making this wonderful thing for the world.)

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So it was a pretty major plot point in Apollo Justice that they... stopped holding unconstitutional trials without juries. Does the jury return in AA5 or is that just quietly swept under the rug?

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Haha, I remember that. There was also this I drew but I'm disappointed they didn't go this route for Edgeworth's design.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

"Wright, how many times have I told you to stop interrupting me while I'm eating my giant lettuce?"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
How much is it? I couldn't find it in the OP

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

How much is it? I couldn't find it in the OP

$29.99

For every copy you don't buy Capcom will release another Apollo Justice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
More like for every copy you don't buy the less you will see of Maya and Fran, do we want a world without the two best AA characters? By the way, is Ema in? I'm fine with reading character spoilers, I just want to know since she was like the best part of Apollo Justice, she made much more bearable than it deserved to be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Chaltab posted:

So it was a pretty major plot point in Apollo Justice that they... stopped holding unconstitutional trials without juries. Does the jury return in AA5 or is that just quietly swept under the rug?

It's kinda unfair to say that it's unconstitutional when it's a Japanese game using a fictional version of the Japanese legal system. The reason they had that case was because during AJ's development, Japan started doing jury trials again after like 50 years. It's the same reason Edgeworth and Franziska could become prosecutors at such a young age without going to law school, at the time in Japan, you didn't need a J.D. to take and pass bar.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 23, 2013

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm f5ing the gently caress out of the eshop but the game isn't magically appearing :smith: Why are you doing this to me nintendo.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

It's kinda unfair to say that it's unconstitutional when it's a Japanese game using a fictional version of the Japanese legal system. The reason they had that case was because during AJ's development, Japan started doing jury trials.

The first case solution (time difference) is tweaked in English so the game's local time is U.S. Eastern (I think), and in French to be Parisian time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's kinda unfair to say that it's unconstitutional when it's a Japanese game using a fictional version of the Japanese legal system. The reason they had that case was because during AJ's development, Japan started doing jury trials.

Also why every suspect was guilty until proven innocent until the whole jury thing.

Actually, I wonder if someone could clarify the whole prosecution/detective relationship, since that has always been confusing to me. So I gather that the prosecutors are hired by the state to secure efficient convictions of criminals - but then there's a symbiotic relationship with the police force on top of that, to which prosecutors act as superiors (with the ability to control the paychecks of detectives, even). And they also take part in official homicide investigations.

Meanwhile attorneys are privatized, and seem to have every disadvantage when it comes to the defense of suspects, since prosecutors have greater control over evidence due to their connection with the police and also have a leg up due to every suspect being assumed guilty from the outset.

Is this even remotely close to what the Japanese legal system is (or was) like, or is it just complete nonsense?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

univbee posted:

The first case solution (time difference) is tweaked in English so the game's local time is U.S. Eastern (I think), and in French to be Parisian time.

I forget which case/game explained it, but the English version of Phoenix Wright (both US and Euro) is set in Los Angeles.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I'm kind of happy to hear that there aren't too many returning characters. I mean I like the old cast and all, but cluttering a game with cameos can be pretty detrimental to the overall story sometimes. The first Investigations game kind of felt like it overdid with the cameos a few times and wasted screentime it could have used to develop its own characters, so I'm more or less glad it doesn't seem like there are too many old characters in the game.

That said, I'm a complete hypocrite because I'm glad Edgeworth is in the game and wouldn't change that if I could.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I've gotten an error message after trying to download the demo like 4 times in a row, what's up with that?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Is this even remotely close to what the Japanese legal system is (or was) like, or is it just complete nonsense?

The Japanese legal system is really really bad. Its not a 100% accurate rendition of it but its close enough to let you understand that if you are suspected of a crime in Japan you are right and proper boned. Most prosecutors enjoy 99%+ conviction rates and cozy relationships with the police.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Also why every suspect was guilty until proven innocent until the whole jury thing.

Actually, I wonder if someone could clarify the whole prosecution/detective relationship, since that has always been confusing to me. So I gather that the prosecutors are hired by the state to secure efficient convictions of criminals - but then there's a symbiotic relationship with the police force on top of that, to which prosecutors act as superiors (with the ability to control the paychecks of detectives, even). And they also take part in official homicide investigations.

Meanwhile attorneys are privatized, and seem to have every disadvantage when it comes to the defense of suspects, since prosecutors have greater control over evidence due to their connection with the police and also have a leg up due to every suspect being assumed guilty from the outset.

Yes and no. The police run investigations, and if they believe they have a suspect, they present evidence to the prosecutors, and prosecutors review the evidence and decide if they'll press charges. It's very similar to the US justice system (which also has faced accusations regarding the symbiotic relationship between the police/prosecutors/crime labs, most notably from the Academy of Sciences.) Burden of proof is still on the prosecutors.

The main difference is that instead of a jury trial, all criminal trials in Japan up until recently were bench trials, where the judge is the only one who hears evidence and makes a decision. Japan had an extremely high conviction rate, but Japanese prosecutors are also known to be exceptionally cautious when it comes to pressing charges, and typically wouldn't take cases before a Judge they thought they had any chance of losing.

Japanese police also (again, just like the US), is and was very aggressive with trying to force defendants to confess and/or extracting plea deals from probably innocent people. It's very easy to win cases as a prosecutor when the police just hand you a confession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aerox posted:

It's very easy to win cases as a prosecutor when the police just hand you a confession.

Didn't stop Phoenix.

• Locked thread