Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

FABULOUS MAX

What is this?

Nagi no Asukara is a currently airing manga adaptation from P.A. Works, directed by Toshiya Shinohara (Kuroshitsuji, Red Data Girl, Book of Bantorra).

Where am I?

Underwater!

But sometimes not!

What's going on here?

Stolen from Crunchyroll: "Long ago, all humans lived in the ocean. But some who longed for the land abandoned the ocean, casting off the special raiments granted to them by the sea god to adapt them to life under the sea..."

Now, though, things seem to be going downhill underwater. Our protagonists' school has closed, and they have to transfer to a surface/land school. Intolerance and love polygons ensue!

Who are these people?

Hikari Sakishima - our male lead, who is SO ANGRY and quite insufferable in the beginning (he gets better). He seems quite attached to:

Manaka Mukaido - our female lead, who is SO MOE and nearly as insufferable. She seems to have a crush on:

Tsumugu Kihara - a surface-dweller! Significantly more tolerant than his fellow landies (or just about anyone).

Chisaki Hiradaira - the other girl! She seems to have a crush on Hikari.

Kaname Isaki - the other guy!

Why under God's blue seas should I care?

The show's beautiful. The backgrounds are great, especially the underwater bits. Ambient fish swim about, particles float up from the seafloor when our friends touch it, and the above-water scenes feel so open in comparison. The characters, though certainly annoying at first, seem set to develop nicely.

I admit to being ambivalent at the two-episode mark, but the third convinced me that they're not going to let the characters languish in terribleness forever. If you've watched the first episode or two and gave up because of the characters, I'd encourage you to give it the full three episode test.

Where can I watch it?

Crunchyroll, where it airs Thursday mornings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Who wrote this, and what did they to with Mari Okada?

Maybe I'm just used to her original works, or maybe the source material is just really solid, but I feel like this is what Hanasaku Iroha and AnoHana should have been like. Flawed, but still likable and relatable adolescent characters that actually act like believable adolescent characters. There's even honest to goodness character growth in only the third episode!

This show was only on my radar because PA Works crap is usually at least beautifully drawn crap, but if Nagi no Asukara can keep up the momentum, it may very well end up being the best show this season. Which is saying a lot considering how stacked it is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

"I'm curious!!"
"...ah...w-well..."

Redcrimson posted:

Maybe I'm just used to her original works, or maybe the source material is just really solid, but I feel like this is what Hanasaku Iroha and AnoHana should have been like. Flawed, but still likable and relatable adolescent characters that actually act like believable adolescent characters.

I like this description of the show,

quote:

but if Nagi no Asukara can keep up the momentum, it may very well end up being the best show this season. Which is saying a lot considering how stacked it is.

but this is a bit of a stretch. Come on, this may not even be the 2nd best show with somewhat institutionalized racism this season

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

OBVIOUS CAGE PLANT SPOTTED

AnacondaHL posted:

but this is a bit of a stretch. Come on, this may not even be the 2nd best show with somewhat institutionalized racism this season

I thought only 2 shows had institutional racism as a plot point, 3 if you stretch it?

I wouldn't say this is one of my favorites of the season. However, it's still a really great show. The characters started out rather irritating, but are slowly learning and growing, as adolescents usually do. The institutional racism is not only rather well handled, but meaningful to the world. It isn't just racism for the sake of racism (I'm looking at you, Outbreak Company). I personally give no shits about romance, which is why I'm not watching White Album 2 despite it having possibly the best first episode this season, but I'm rather enjoying the story here because it feels far less contrived and more like a natural progression stemming from the who these characters are.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

If they took out the characters and the plot, I'd still watch this. Those backgrounds are just so incredibly beautiful.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Episode 3 was a real turn-around point for this show. I am hopeful that the main character will continue to be less annoying than he was in the first two episodes, and we'll see some interesting stuff.

I think the writers did a good job depicting an underwater society that is, for the most part, dying. We don't know why they're dying, but they are definitely not growing. The middle-school the children attended has just recently shut down for lack of attendance, and our stalwart merfolk (sans the tails) are now required to go to school with the air breathers.

What's interesting is that, while we have such an interesting juxtaposition of water-dwellers and land-dwellers, that's ho-hum everyday stuff. The important parts are the character interactions, and that's the way it should be.

If I could hope for anything out of this show, I think I would like to see more about why the underwater society is on the decline. Granted, the story is about middle-schoolers and their newly found interactions, but maybe there could be more that's available.

Plus, I don't know about you folks, but I've always been fascinated by underwater stuff. I actually got scuba certified twice (once in 1986 and since it had been such a long time between, I did it again with my eldest daughter in 1999). How awesome would it be to actually live in the ocean like these folks are able to do?

The unique physics are cool too. You'd never know they're in the water. They walk, jump, etc. just like if they were on dry land. I kind of like that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Suffer this Terrible curse!

The fact that the water physics are completely made up doesn't bother me at all. Because it isn't really about living under the sea, it's about people separated by a physical distance, but united by a fundamental humanity.

While everything is designed around regular 2D movement and living (because they didn't want to make it too weird), people can at any time go into 3D movement because and that does add to the mystique of the place. Plus their motions are noticeably floatier, so it's not like it's completely the same as land.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at Oct 24, 2013 around 11:20

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

This would probably add nothing to the show, but it would have been interesting if sea dwellers were super powerful on land because of the higher viscosity of water to air making moving around take far more effort.

But as I said its fine that they didn't.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

мне нравится аниме

Well, you could call being shiny a kind of superpower.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Show continues to just keep getting better. These are probably some of the best written characters this season, each with their good and bad moments, each with positive and negative traits, and it's really a wonderful thing to watch them grow.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

"I'm curious!!"
"...ah...w-well..."

The show is fine and all, but it's the little things like (04) random-rear end octopus floating across the screen out of nowhere (i.e. for metaphorical convenience), interrupts the conversation, Manaka attempting to call it over like a small animal, and the octopus giving no fucks and continuing on really push this show into something greater than average.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

мне нравится аниме

I'm glad that the show resolves minor conflicts quickly instead of making a mountain out of a mole hill, while still dealing with the base premise of the show earnestly. A lesser show would have blown up every single conflict without a sense for pacing and good character building.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

FABULOUS MAX

Finally got around to watching episode 4. I'm quite pleased that it's continued the trend of characters not being terrible. I definitely appreciate a guy who can admit when he was wrong.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Tears... underwater? That's the straw that broke my willing suspension of disbelief. I can buy that magic sea-skin can somehow allow you to turn buoyancy on/off at will, but crying underwater is just silly.

Still, ~anime physics~ aside, this was a good episode. It did a good job of presenting how mature Hikari actually is, despite how goddamn terrible his is at acting like it. He knows that Akari can't be his mother and Miuna's mother at the same time, so he chooses to let Akari go to pursue her own happiness. Except he phrases it in a way that sounds like "Go gently caress off with your surface boyfriend, you're not my mom!". Two steps forward, one step back. I guess that's how we're getting two cours out of this.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

This is confirmed for 2-cours? Huh, didn't realize that.

This show is probably the best straight drama I've seen in anime. The writing and directing are both perfect so far (except for the little, inconsequential things ^^), and combined with the gorgeous visuals and animation I want to say this is one of the top shows of the season so far.

e: It's also nice to see that the land kids aren't vitriolically racists towards the sea kids anymore. Makes sense after last episode.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at Oct 31, 2013 around 17:21

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

ViggyNash posted:

This show is probably the best straight drama I've seen in anime.

Watch Anohana, if you haven't already.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

Watch Anohana, if you haven't already.

I have, and while it was overall very good, some of it got comically melodramatic. Especially the ending (tearworthy, but really, really silly). The whole ghost mechanic was pretty terrible and kept getting morphed by the writers to fit the story, and consequently made no sense.

The mechanic in this show, sea people with buoyancy control, is also a bit silly, but at least it stays consistent. So far at least.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at Oct 31, 2013 around 17:47

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

The underwater stuff is literally sea god magic. Don't think about it too hard.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

This really is one of the most gorgeous shows ever.

It looks even better in motion, trust me. That whole segment was absolutely gorgeous.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

Heil Hitler House

Haha, someone in an anime actually called a character out on not finishing their sentences and being ambiguous.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Where did Manaka's fin things go while she was in swimming suit? Are they just some sort of jewelry?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

nielsm posted:

Where did Manaka's fin things go while she was in swimming suit? Are they just some sort of jewelry?

Interesting, I really didn't notice that they were gone. I had always assumed that it was jewelry, ribbon, or something along those lines but kind of dismissed it because ~anime~.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

мне нравится аниме

Maybe she can retract them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

That's what I've always assumed. I don't think any of the sea people have non-human features, except for the priest.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Some dude from Reddit translated a bunch of interviews with the staff and posted them on twitter. It's got some interesting tidbits about NagiAsu's production process.

Tsuji(producer) and Shinohara(Director)

Part 2

Part 3

Mari Okada(Series Comp), Matsuda(Production Desk), Hashimoto(Production Setting)

Part 2

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dad of the Year, 2013.

E: nvm that title got stolen by Valve rave.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at Nov 16, 2013 around 00:01

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Suffer this Terrible curse!

Yeah holy poo poo Okada knocked it out of the loving park this week. This is like everything good about True Tears or Hanasaku Iroha or AnoHana all rolled together.

Seadad is great, he can't bear to let himself cry in front his children or his master, despite it welling up within him for the last 6 episodes. He really is an older, just as stubborn version of Hikari that managed to master his impulsiveness but never fully manifested his self-actualisation.

Edit: after reading that interview, I really think this story (and alot of animes, in fact) has elements of the old Buddhist parables, about being willing to relinquish oppressive desires and allowing relationships to develop naturally. Hikari's development is about letting go of Manaka and letting her fend for herself. This parallels everything else, the sea society may be changing, but that's no reason to oppose it when life is still valid elsewhere and opposing the change would bring suffering to others.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at Nov 15, 2013 around 22:32

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

EP8: That felt a bit like filler, but I still loved all of it.But that saltflake snow at the end was one hell of a cliffhanger.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Hikari's character development has been pretty spectacular. He's able to let Manaka and his sister go, and stand up to his father and the village. He even does good job playing big brother to Miuna.

This episode was pretty light and fluffy, but I think it was a good barometer for how far the characters and relationships have come since we started. And it seems like poo poo is about to go down for real as far as the surface/sea conflict is concerned. It'll be interesting to see if the scope of the story changes from here on out.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

"I'm curious!!"
"...ah...w-well..."

(Ep 9) That REJECTION was so monster, it should be put on Youtube in a clip video with background music

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

EP 10: Another fantastic episode. It's the first time I noticed the music in the show, and it's really good.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Wow. Everyone under the water are pretty irredeemable.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

The Sea God is kind of an rear end in a top hat...

Also, the people who called a timeskip seem to have been dead on. At least that would make the Kaname/Chisaki/Sayu love triangle a little less weird.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

.Clash posted:

Wow. Everyone under the water are pretty irredeemable.

This. gently caress this lovely jonestown filled with creepy redneck assholes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Grim Up North posted:

This. gently caress this lovely jonestown filled with creepy redneck assholes.

The cult-like vibes were pretty strong in this episode. Mostly with how the adults were treating everything.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The big difference between a regular cult and these people that they have Uroko-sama, a demigod (supposedly) in service to the sea god. He's effectively their Moses or Jesus. It doesn't seem like he's a fake either, given what we've seen of him.

Speculation: I think the sea god is mad because the sea people refuse to get along with the land people. I think once the two societies are able to tell their pride to go gently caress itself and work together to perform the Ofunehiki, the sea god will chill out.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Xelkelvos posted:

The cult-like vibes were pretty strong in this episode. Mostly with how the adults were treating everything.

As soon as they mentioned all going to sleep together I was just waiting for someone to bring out the Kool-Aid.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

We just need Tsumugu to be in love with Kaname to complete the circle of unrequited love.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

We just need Tsumugu to be in love with Kaname to complete the circle of unrequited love.

Sayu's already in love with Kaname, so we need Tsumugo to fall in love with her. Actually that would be weird.

I'm kind of expecting a bizarre chain of events to suddenly reverse the line of unrequited love at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If the ceremony thing doesn't work out the kids better not complain about never being able to see their families again because they are eating. I also do not understand this weird obsession they have with not waking up at the same time. I'd trust the magical god scale to be able to handle that kind of stuff.

«3 »