Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

Somebody in the last thread wanted a name for a strange sydney sleeper that would do a good job of irrating people killed with it. Try "#1 Sniper"
That was me. I actually saw that on tf2tags earlier.

I'm leaning towards "The Call-A-Nature"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Since we're on the discussion of posting loadout pictures that aren't just against brown backgrounds, here's some of my current ones (seen randomly through the last thread but I still utilize them):

Having a tough time deciding between Peak Scotsman and Peak Bomb Disposal Man. The problem with Bomb Disposal is that I'm not sure what the second misc should be, so I'm using the Cool Breeze for it as a placeholder.

Stop, drop, and roll. I have no idea what to use for a second misc, so the Pyrotechnic Tote is a placeholder until we can achieve Peak Firefighter.

WWI Combat Medic (please use the medi-gun, folks)

Bonk.

Plain ol' Soldier doing Soldier stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

legendsuper posted:

How could it not be ? Yeah there's keys, but if there wasn't that tiny chance of unusuals, much less people would open crates, right ?

But those people will still have unusuals regardless of whether some diminutive portion of the population has display of them turned off. The market is already there, unusuals wouldn't cost hundreds of dollars if people didn't care about them.

I accept that prices could fluctuate if a toggle to display cosmetics existed, but I'm making the point that there's no actual evidence that such a thing is a certainty and is therefore not a good reason to dismiss it as a possible feature.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

What's a good way to learn to be a good spy? Beyond just playing the spy. I'm loving terrible at it but I recognise that in a lot of situations stalemates on pub servers could be resolved with a good spy.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

FirstPersonShitter posted:

What's a good way to learn to be a good spy? Beyond just playing the spy. I'm loving terrible at it but I recognise that in a lot of situations stalemates on pub servers could be resolved with a good spy.

The Spy training mode ? :downs:
More seriously, I learned most of my knowledge by playing other classes. To play spy well, you basically have to know the map well. Sentry placements, chokepoints etc.
Watching pros play is also good.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
From what I gather, playing Spy well is just a combination of knowing the map really well along with being able to pick and choose when to engage enemies in the most opportune of times. Unfortunately, most of my map sense doesn't help me when playing Spy, because I end up missing the ability to explosive jump.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Find a server running foundry and use the stock watch. Equip the l'etranger if you're really scared but you technically don't need it.

Foundry is good because it's a really wide open map and there are so many ammo crates you can stay invisible forever. Basically just teach yourself to keep moving to the next ammo crate and dodging enemies. Eventually you'll start to notice patterns in how they move, which you can exploit to launch an attack. Just be aware there won't be any combat noise to mask your decloaking sound. Badwater is pretty generous with ammo crates too. I also like spying on Kong King.

Basically once you get good at moving around unseen you can start to explore how to launch attacks.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
My piss gun is called "peepee's delivery service". Description is "Headshots are easy, bodyshots are the true measure of skill"

I've got a snipers killed the part on it obviously.

It was almost called "nummber #1 snipor" but dunno. Regardless, people do get very upset when I kill them.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

This guy posts some pretty good videos about how high-level players play Spy, you should be able to pick up a thing or two as he's very informative (and obviously very, very good) http://www.youtube.com/user/stabbyvideo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Notes from a fellow Bad Spy.

Day 19: Boy, that Soldier sure looks like an easy target, I can run faster than him!... Oh, right. Rocket Jumps.

I'll admit, that one is always much more funny to see happen to a teammate.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)
I haven't used my Sydney Sleeper much since they removed the set bonus, so I haven't named it. Until I think of something original, I'm fine with my Jarate. :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Play scout, don't jump.

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:
I'm glad that I'm getting in on one of these threads before it hits like 300 pages. Any goons wanna play my steam is the same as my SA handle.

Also for the newbies, play Jump_ maps to learn how to rocket/stickyjump. It'll save a lot of time and frustration.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Since we're all posting our favorite loadouts, i need to repost my Terry Bogard heavy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sorry to report that I just saw what looked like two disguised bots on whatthefrag.net #1. You can't trust anyone these days...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Are any of the alternative soldier primaries not just a downgrade from the basic rocket launcher?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Are any of the alternative soldier primaries not just a downgrade from the basic rocket launcher?

The Black Box is good, and if you are fighting other soldiers or demomen you can use the Direct Hit and have a bunch of fun.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Black Box plus the Battallions Backup turns you into a goddamn roaming monster, the Liberty Launcher is less damage for more consistent damage, the direct hit is fantastic against engineers and other soldiers, the cow mangler is a 5 shot primary, and the original is rad as hell.

So basically they're all sidegrades with the exception of the liberty launcher, which is great if you're bad and awful if you're good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Comedy option: Everyone assumes the Beggars Bazooka is garbage. They're right, but it's a godamned blast (lol) for close-up maps, if you use it like you're drunk.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Yeah I tend to go direct hit for busting sentry nests but aside from that I just wind up flubbing shots with it like 80% of the time. I use the original mostly cause I love quake (I could use one of those little flag emotes with ranger crying in front of the quake logo), but I'm better with the stock rocket launcher cause I learned to rocket jump with it.

I really friggin hate how the cow mangler looks and I've not been able to really get the hang of the altfire, plus nto being able to bust sentries sucks.

The black box though I'm giving another chance now and drat does it make me so much more survivable when I do my usual thing of sneaky around and blowing people up. I hurt for the last rocket sometimes though, whenever I gently caress up a shot and need a fourth hit to finish someone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

death .cab for qt posted:

The Black Box plus the Battallions Backup turns you into a goddamn roaming monster, the Liberty Launcher is less damage for more consistent damage, the direct hit is fantastic against engineers and other soldiers, the cow mangler is a 5 shot primary, and the original is rad as hell.

So basically they're all sidegrades with the exception of the liberty launcher, which is great if you're bad and awful if you're good.
One of the numerous changes I (almost) missed. Cowmangler is now 4 shots instead of 5. But it does normal damage (aside from buildings) now and doesn't take any longer to reload, along with the joys of nailing those charge shots on a cluttered control point. I love the cowmangler but I always feel bad whenever I see a sentry that nobody is doing anything about and I'm the only soldier on the team.

I've been seeing a LOT more black boxes than I used to in competent hands than I used to since I got back to this. I'm so used to "They have a black box? Then they are as bad at airshots and rocket jumping as I am" from my past experience.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yeah I tend to go direct hit for busting sentry nests but aside from that I just wind up flubbing shots with it like 80% of the time. I use the original mostly cause I love quake (I could use one of those little flag emotes with ranger crying in front of the quake logo), but I'm better with the stock rocket launcher cause I learned to rocket jump with it.

I really friggin hate how the cow mangler looks and I've not been able to really get the hang of the altfire, plus nto being able to bust sentries sucks.

The black box though I'm giving another chance now and drat does it make me so much more survivable when I do my usual thing of sneaky around and blowing people up. I hurt for the last rocket sometimes though, whenever I gently caress up a shot and need a fourth hit to finish someone.

The trick with the Direct Hit is that it pretends to be a long range precision weapon, when actually you should think of it more as an explosive shotgun (that also fucks up sentries at any range). Forget everything you know about aiming rockets, just get in close and click on people from just outside the blast radius.

The Black Box really rewards aggressive rocket jumping, since you can just wing a couple of enemies to get health back for a jump. Being able to engage and disengage at will mitigates the ammo problem a lot, since any time you're outgunned you can just spend your last rocket to propel yourself out of reach and then have a full clip ready when they pursue you. Having mobility and health drastically improves your survivability (see also: babyface blaster + pocket pistol)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pretty much all of the Soldier's launchers are really good sidegrades. You just have to, you know, adjust your playstyle to fit them if you want to be effective.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Holy crap, that tip about the direct hit being an explosive shotgun is amazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just wish there was a way to go from "gently caress you, other players" which the stock RL delivers to "gently caress you, sentries" that the direct hit delivers without running back to spawn or dying.

Because it seems like every time I join a fight I end up wanting the gun I did not bring.

(I understand the limitation is an intentional balance choice)

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

xzzy posted:

I just wish there was a way to go from "gently caress you, other players" which the stock RL delivers to "gently caress you, sentries" that the direct hit delivers without running back to spawn or dying.

Because it seems like every time I join a fight I end up wanting the gun I did not bring.

(I understand the limitation is an intentional balance choice)

Roughly 3-5 birds with one stone.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
My rule of thumb for the black box is if I'm not averaging 100 healing per life, I put it away.

Section Z posted:

I've been seeing a LOT more black boxes than I used to in competent hands than I used to since I got back to this. I'm so used to "They have a black box? Then they are as bad at airshots and rocket jumping as I am" from my past experience.
The black box's current popularity is a bandwagon trend for highlander set when UGC decided to become a real league by lifting their ban on invite players. Vhalin was using black box + gunboats in HL pugs for a long time, but suddenly when he was allowed to play in an official UGC match his loadout went from 'a gimmick that only an invite player can pull off' to 'The New Official and Only Correct Way to Play Soldier in Highlander.'

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Constable Lemon posted:

The OP is missing a few essentials:

What video was this from again? I want to rewatch but can't remember

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brohannes Brahms posted:

Roughly 3-5 birds with one stone.
Fair enough, other than the fact that I find demo horribly boring to play.

I don't know why, demo is a great class. Just doesn't suit my temperament or something.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Sanctum posted:

The black box's current popularity is a bandwagon trend for highlander set when UGC decided to become a real league by lifting their ban on invite players. Vhalin was using black box + gunboats in HL pugs for a long time, but suddenly when he was allowed to play in an official UGC match his loadout went from 'a gimmick that only an invite player can pull off' to 'The New Official and Only Correct Way to Play Soldier in Highlander.'

I think we (collectively as a thread) had this discussion somewhere in the last thread. I believe my argument was that, by using the Black Box and Gunboats, you were essentially trading away deathmatching potential for extra survival while roaming. Having only three shots means you really have to be picky about what fights to engage, you can harass groups of people without having to commit to any long-term fighting, and you could theoretically get anywhere on the map rapidly without showing up battered and beaten.

I played around with the loadout for a while in 5cp pubs, along with using the Pain Train. I could zip from point-to-point like an exploding Scout, tagging stragglers with the Black Box to keep my health up, and that was great. What wasn't great was being unable to take out a threat that I would've been able to handle easily with a stock launcher and shotgun on hand, such as suicide-bombing an enemy medic (two direct rockets is usually enough, but it sure is nice to have that third just in case one explosion only grazed him) or taking out a sentry nest being babied by an Engineer.

I didn't play Highlander much, but I assumed my role as Soldier was to take their Medic with me, and maybe catch their Soldier on the flanks so they didn't do the same to our Medic.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Sanctum posted:

The black box's current popularity is a bandwagon trend for highlander set when UGC decided to become a real league by lifting their ban on invite players. Vhalin was using black box + gunboats in HL pugs for a long time, but suddenly when he was allowed to play in an official UGC match

UGC's ban on invite players was actually a limit of three per team, and Vhalin's Black Box antics started before that limit was lifted. Some time between Season 7 and Season 8 the Black Box got popular in #tf2.pug.nahl when more people started trying it out, and it moved on from there.

Only semi-related, but interestingly enough, the best Highlander team ever, The Syndicate (circa Season 8), actually stayed within the three invite player limit, bringing only two invite players (Ruwin and Soup) despite the limit being revoked. Although Vhalin was on the roster, he'd been outside of invite for long enough to be considered "not invite" by UGC beginning in Season 6.

Also, I can't remember who, but there was a current ESEA-I or ETF2L-P player running the Black Box in 6s and making it work out. :911:

e: Make sure you name your Black Box "Wanna take a hike?" in honor of our Lord Vhalin. May he ever be surrounded with girl gamers aplenty.

Lori fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 24, 2013

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

MrYenko posted:

Everyone assumes the Beggars Bazooka is garbage.

Beggar's Bazooka is my favorite weapon by far for general pub play. It is like a Huntsman that can make an entire team mad at the same time. Nothing like having someone say the weapon is bad, and that it is easy to use and free kills in the same breath. It has a totally different play style than the rest of the launchers, and is bad if you are far away, but so are the rest of the launchers to a lesser extent thanks to damage falloff and projectile travel time. It really shines at close or medium distance though if you can back off and load up volleys of rockets. You can take down heavies and sentries with a single volley, and it is amazing for making medics drop ubercharges. Also, nothing is more satisfying than a Kritzkrieg+Concheror charge with the Beggar's Bazooka.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Can we agree that in pub play minis are doing more harm than good?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

xzzy posted:

Fair enough, other than the fact that I find demo horribly boring to play.

I don't know why, demo is a great class. Just doesn't suit my temperament or something.

I know a number of people who are the same, but particularly with the Sticky Launcher. And I think there's a reason for it.

It's a simple reality that the SL is one of if not the best weapon in the game (if we're not counting the Medigun) against competent players: it's incredibly powerful on defense, the strongest tool there is for denying essential flank routes or trapping a choke to ensure a lost point doesn't become two (controlling tempo in other words) and being an absolute beast on offense as well (put a Kritzkrig behind him and even in the highest levels of play, if the other team has the misfortune of being in the same zipcode as them, they're going to die.). Competent players know that to clear this defense, they need to flank around the trapped route and get in the Demo's grill, or wait for an uber, or deal with the stickies before pushing on. All of this means that the SL has a nice, high skill ceiling: it's challenging to put yourself in the mind of a good player to best lay traps, it means learning to use the GL as effectively (or in some cases, better) to cover your weak points, and knowing when it's safe to reload and where on each map, and knowing each map's sweet spots (and health packs, since rolling out and jumping with it completely rely on them). It's a good, well balanced weapon.

Against competent players.

In a pub, there might be, at best, half competent players on the other team, and then half pubby pubbies. All of the above remains true, but the thing that pushes it into ''objectively the most ridiculously too good weapon to use on a pub'' (yes, even Heavies, who become pubstars not just on the strength of their skillhose but on their HP pool, sandvich and having a medic magnet in their pocket) is that bad players don't respect the stickies. They'll tunnel vision and run right on the sticky you've put square on the floor in front of them, as a non-Phlog pyro. Scouts will barrell straight into clearly mined routes, Medics will stand there healing as you lob enough stickies over their pocket to effortlessly kill them, Engineers will sit there wrenching their level 3 as you stack 3 or 4 stickies onto their nest. If you're being pursued, lay a sticky at your feet, keep moving, and they will run onto it ever loving time. This actually has a quite low skill ceiling, and honestly, I can see why people get turned off by it. It's just not that satisfying to get a kill where the victim contributed more then you did.

Me, I just take the freebies, and watch out for good players. If there's at least one player on the other team who's as good or better then I am (not hard I'm terrible), then I'm being challenged, and having fun. I think of the the easy kills as teachable moments: eventually, if you let them touch the stove enough, they learn.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Can we agree that in pub play minis are doing more harm than good?

Depends on game mode.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd rather see engineers only have the mini, but up the cost to 120 so you can't build two without some sort of resupply.

Then reduce the cost of teleporters to 100/100.

Unrelated, is heavy stacking the New Way to play on pubs? I've been playing on valve servers all day and every game has had 5+ heavies per side. On payload offense it just rolls over everything. They should really remove the cart constantly supplying ammo.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 24, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

One of the best maps to see this phenomenon of pubbie players not respecting the sticky launcher is cp_gorge. Go on defense, sticky jump to that high ground over the first point, and see how many players you can annihilate before ANYBODY decides to contest you for that high ground. A lot of them will see those stickies laying on the point and just shrug it off, whatever, not their problem. Hell, you'll probably dominate the same guy over and over again as they aren't sure what to do about you up there, so they just ignore you and hope for the best.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 24, 2013

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Hoyt Hoyterson posted:

Beggar's Bazooka is my favorite weapon by far for general pub play. It is like a Huntsman that can make an entire team mad at the same time. Nothing like having someone say the weapon is bad, and that it is easy to use and free kills in the same breath. It has a totally different play style than the rest of the launchers, and is bad if you are far away, but so are the rest of the launchers to a lesser extent thanks to damage falloff and projectile travel time. It really shines at close or medium distance though if you can back off and load up volleys of rockets. You can take down heavies and sentries with a single volley, and it is amazing for making medics drop ubercharges. Also, nothing is more satisfying than a Kritzkrieg+Concheror charge with the Beggar's Bazooka.

Yeah, The Beggar's Bazooka is awesome, you just have to rely on splash damage almost entirely instead of hitting enemies. It's an ambush weapon more too, if you're not planning on surprising someone with a pile of rockets in their face in the next few seconds then you should really have your shotgun out. A scout or pyro you weren't expecting can ruin your day before you even get chance to fire off a rocket.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Thank you for these beggars bazooka posts i've finally found something that makes people more mad than the backburner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
When I met Kory I knew her name sounded familiar but I couldn't remember from where. We were friends for the better part of a year before I saw that comic again and I felt like a moron for forgetting.

• Locked thread