Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So wait, I have to hear the really obnoxious dinging sound when I hit something now? That's lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

Collateral Damage posted:

Wait, does sv_pure mean you can't have custom hitsounds?

You can always have custom hitsounds, they're not restricted by sv_pure. Even on sv_pure 2 which is enforced vanilla TF2, custom hitsounds work fine.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Are we talking custom pitches, which is a command, or custom hitsounds, which is genuine file replacement ??

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

Custom hitsound files, they're specifically marked to be allowed no matter what the server has sv_pure set to.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

PS: If you played on The Shoebox before, we changed IPs because we had to change hosts (because the last one was garbo). We're at 174.34.132.106:27015 now. Running straight Gullywash tonight but back to normal mapcycle tomorrow.

Sloppy Thirds
May 14, 2007
Hey, so I'm posting because it's coming up on 4 years now and I'm sure either the people got it already or it didn't happen, but, I was part of the Pubstars vs. Pros Winter Wasteland in 2011 and we were promised a custom in-game badge. Link here to it(I'm 'I KO'd Guile'). Only reason I'm posting here about it is because I know many goons participated in it including zoolooman, dash, and cerious who organized it. I've messaged cerious on steam a couple times throughout these 4 years and he's never responded, so I'm hoping one of you other guys could tell me what happened to our badges :(

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

Sloppy Thirds posted:

Hey, so I'm posting because it's coming up on 4 years now and I'm sure either the people got it already or it didn't happen, but, I was part of the Pubstars vs. Pros Winter Wasteland in 2011 and we were promised a custom in-game badge. Link here to it(I'm 'I KO'd Guile'). Only reason I'm posting here about it is because I know many goons participated in it including zoolooman, dash, and cerious who organized it. I've messaged cerious on steam a couple times throughout these 4 years and he's never responded, so I'm hoping one of you other guys could tell me what happened to our badges :(

Hi, didn't realize there were people still out there who even remembered - sorry about not getting back to you on those messages, don't think I ever saw them. We actually did submit one over the workshop a while ago (private submission - the one with the two boxing gloves) but they told us no dice since it wasn't up to the TF2 art standards or whatever. They said we could try to remake it, but it was already a hassle getting the guy who made it to submit our old stuff, and he didn't feel like making anything new so we just called quits on it. And of course, I've since stopped hosting the events since AG took over and then now it's some communities vs pros stuff, so it's been a very long time as you've said.

I could try to get back in touch and ask Valve to reconsider, I mean worse poo poo has gotten into the game at this point. Or, I could try to get the medal remade, but I already tried it once and I had a bad experience with that dude so I'm a bit hesitant. But to be honest, it's been so long since those events that like 75% of those people who would get one don't even play TF2 anymore and the most of the others have probably forgotten they'd even played in those events. And I'm not even sure if I have the complete list of every medal awardee anymore, though it wouldn't be too difficult coming up with the list again.

I could try again, it's not a big deal if I get shot down on it anyways, but it just seemed like something that hardly anyone would even care about that I had just figured "why bother?" after the medal got rejected.

Sloppy Thirds
May 14, 2007
No problem man, I've only messaged you a couple times when you've started loading up a game so you might have not even seen it.

You're right though, most of the people probably wouldn't give a poo poo. Hell, I only play TF2 maybe twicce a month nowadays. But man, I'd loving love that badge. I told all my online friends to watch and that I'd be getting it. Basically it was my only online claim to fame and I feel jipped out on it.

I personally would love if you tried again, but you're right, don't know how many other people would really care.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there anything other than TFTrue that allows the use of whitelists outside tournament mode?

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

The Pubstars vs. Pros events were really cool and it's a shame that they don't happen any more.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there anything other than TFTrue that allows the use of whitelists outside tournament mode?

There are a bunch of SourceMod plugins that would probably do the trick, although I haven't used any of them myself so YMMV. Were you having any particular problems with getting TFTrue to work? The developer is pretty active in fixing it when it breaks and helping people who have problems so if no one else can help, you can always get in touch with him here or here.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Sloppy Thirds posted:

I personally would love if you tried again, but you're right, don't know how many other people would really care.

I want the medal made so I can forever have a token of that one time I frustrated a bunch of pros by using a wrangled baby sentry as we got soundly rolled on badlands.

If you submit it and they don't accept it that'd be kinda jokes considering the current state of affairs in terms of cosmetics.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, what exactly does sv_pure affect?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

So, what exactly does sv_pure affect?

Client-side custom anything that is not hitsounds, sprays, or those three items you can decal. Generally models, textures, and sound effects. HUDs can rely on this too.

Examples that improve the game are glowing effects on money in MvM, better models for buildables like sentries and dispensers, better fire effects, better explosion effects.

Examples that don't impact the game are gender swaps of characters, swapping characters out for other things entirely left4dead2 style, different weapon models, silly noises, making weapons sound like stuff from smash bros. or whatever, new announcers, the medic dropping uber playing 'oo what you say' from the OC.

Examples where this can be used to straight out cheat are making snipers brightly colored, the cloaking effect cloud big, making the decloak noise really loud, making the ambient sounds from buildables existing really loud, or erasing the fraction of a second of silence at the beginning of the 'sentry sees you' sound effect. I merged this last sound effect with the Metal Gear Solid ! sound effect and the tiny bit of an extra heads up it gives is totally unfair and has saved my rear end a of couple times.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zero! posted:

The Pubstars vs. Pros events were really cool and it's a shame that they don't happen any more.

There are a bunch of SourceMod plugins that would probably do the trick, although I haven't used any of them myself so YMMV. Were you having any particular problems with getting TFTrue to work? The developer is pretty active in fixing it when it breaks and helping people who have problems so if no one else can help, you can always get in touch with him here or here.

Nah, I just have a server provider that's super touchy about what you can upload -- it's the tradeoff of being cheap I guess. I've got a request in to see if they'll approve TFTrue but I want to know I have options if I can't use it.

Not sure if those plugins will work but I'll give 'em a try. I'm actually trying to make a blacklist of taunts that I can turn on and off at will. It's twice now that I've had a server just straight empty the gently caress out because two people decide to fart around in spawn with square dance/rancho/conga and some of their team leaves because they're discouraged and that gets more people to bail until we're left with like 10 on 4, then autobalance kicks in and good luck holding on to a server after that.

I don't want to just straight up blacklist those taunts forever but if I could be like "okay you've had your fun" and shut em off, I'd sure like that.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Tell them to stop; if they don't, kick them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It can happen too fast for that to be a practical solution - especially if you're not on the team where it's happening or you're not aware of the problem because you're staying alive pretty well. Same problem with shutting it off in response but if I can leave those taunts turned off I can stop the problem before it starts and maybe turn them on whenever it's silly time.

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Oh my god, this is the cutest Halloween set yet. :3:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Pyro dressing up as Demo for Halloween? :confused:

:kimchi:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Seems theres been an update, no patch notes yet but probably to prepare for the halloween update coming up soon.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

Some general bug fixes and some little Halloween related changes for now.

TF2.com posted:

-Fixed another exploit that allowed clients to have an out-of-date, corrupt, or modified version of items_game.txt
-Fixed clients not downloading *.dx80.vtx, *.dx90.vtx, and *.sw.vtx files from servers running custom content
-Fixed sv_pure defaulting to -2 instead of 0
-Fixed font issues for Mac clients
-Made the Spellbook Magazine a base action slot item for players to equip and use when playing on a server that uses Halloween Spells
-Fixed not being able to wear Halloween-restricted cosmetic items on Halloween maps outside of the regular Halloween and Fullmoon events
-Halloween spells can now be enabled and controlled on servers via ConVars tf_spells_enabled and tf_player_spell_drop_on_death_rate
-Halloween spells can now be enabled by map authors via HolidayEntity by setting the flag HalloweenSetUsingSpells

Those of you unhappy about Valve servers not being sv_pure 0, it should be fixed, you can play with all the mods you want now!

Magypsy
Apr 2, 2010

People call me Pine! (Pine!)
Eastern Venus Space Police.
If there's slime, (There's slime!)
Involved in a crime, (Bad crime!)
We'll clean them up on the beat! (The beat!)

Pixeltendo posted:

Seems theres been an update, no patch notes yet but probably to prepare for the halloween update coming up soon.

They usually release the update right before Halloween.

Patch notes! :toot:

quote:

Fixed another exploit that allowed clients to have an out-of-date, corrupt, or modified version of items_game.txt
Fixed clients not downloading *.dx80.vtx, *.dx90.vtx, and *.sw.vtx files from servers running custom content
Fixed sv_pure defaulting to -2 instead of 0
Fixed font issues for Mac clients
Made the Spellbook Magazine a base action slot item for players to equip and use when playing on a server that uses Halloween Spells
Fixed not being able to wear Halloween-restricted cosmetic items on Halloween maps outside of the regular Halloween and Fullmoon events
Halloween spells can now be enabled and controlled on servers via ConVars tf_spells_enabled and tf_player_spell_drop_on_death_rate
Halloween spells can now be enabled by map authors via HolidayEntity by setting the flag HalloweenSetUsingSpells

EDIT: Curses. :(

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Zero! posted:

Those of you unhappy about Valve servers not being sv_pure 0, it should be fixed, you can play with all the mods you want now!

Oh my goodness yes!

Apparently this update also breaks Windows servers. To be fixed soon.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zero! posted:

Thank god they fixed the font issues, I was going mad squinting.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zero! posted:

HOORAY I am very happy by this news

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Did they seriously put out an update that blew up servers like two hours before people have UGC matches?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Did they seriously put out an update that blew up servers like two hours before people have UGC matches?

gently caress yes, I hope it's still broken. Means I can play a good game instead tonight.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A second patch game out shortly after the first to fix the server bug.

Some things that have been noticed:

- mp_idledealmethod appears to be bugged, set it to 0 for now.
- Valve servers are still using sv_pure 1, the fix in the patch was for default settings on community servers.
- Halloween items are set to expire on 8am on November 12, 2014, GMT. So expect the Halloween update very soon.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

This video just won a big frag movie competition and it loving owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYrnAaNW5ow&hd=1

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That is very creative.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zero! posted:

Okay this is loving awesome :allears:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zero! posted:

That's a loving awesome video.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
It sucks as a fragvideo but rules pretty hard just as a tf2 video to watch

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's more about the production values than the actual fragging (it hurts to use that word) which is not necessarily a bad thing. At least it's not rave party multicolored tilt-cam with dubstep playing loudly in the background.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I think it's more about the production values than the actual fragging (it hurts to use that word) which is not necessarily a bad thing. At least it's not rave party multicolored tilt-cam with dubstep playing loudly in the background.
Yeah for sure. I just found it hard to twack some of the fwags.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I love what happens to the Baby Face Blaster when it gets long name prefixes.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah usually about 30 seconds into a frag video I'm like "alright cool" and then move on to something else because I've seen someone get sick airshots before and it doesn't look all that different when you watch it happen a dozen times in a row. Put less cynically: I can't really feel invested in intense gameplay moments without the context of an entire game around them, so standard frag videos are just a slurry of impressive-but-meaningless clips.

But this French thing was really entertaining, mostly for the clever transitions (even though sometimes it felt like one transition merged into the next one without actually showing us the impressive action first). If nothing else, it certainly made me super hyped to play more TF2 when I get home.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't wanna think about how long that must have taken to edit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Zero! posted:

It does, it indeed does own.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zero! posted:

Really hosed up that french people made this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Kins posted:

- Valve servers are still using sv_pure 1

gently caress!

• Locked thread