Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Prenton posted:

Hello. I have not been playing TF2 for very long. Only a matter of weeks, in fact. But I'm fairly sure that having three snipers all lurking on a two-foot-square hillock is not an optimal tactic. How do I discourage said sub-optimal tactics in teammates*?

*apart from calling them loving idiots, the loving idiots

Someone in the last month or so mentioned this excellent thing to do when there are too many of one class on your team: give them a job. Say, "hey, would one of you snipers take out the sentry/heavy?", and there's a good chance that one of them will switch classes. It's psychology, or something. And if you're lucky, one of the remaining snipers will even achieve the task you mentioned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

DID YOU KNOW: there used to be more than one Lost Continent, but now there is only one. The others sunk into the sea or something.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Last time I played on Rutas, its problem was that it was only active once per day for a burst of a few hours, and because it used a set map rotation instead of any randomness or map voting, it meant you'd see the same exact three maps every time.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

What would also work is some sort of CTF or Special Delivery mode? Scout, strap that corpse to your back and start running!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

A multistage halloween map could be interesting. Instead of giving the team that won the previous leg of the race a head start, the team that lost the previous leg has to fight a boss? (It'd have to be a weaker boss than we're used to, but still...)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Solumin posted:

This is my first Halloween event--I just started playing a year ago and missed the event, but I should be able to participate this year.
I've seen a lot of people talk about bosses and things. Can someone explain what the Halloween event is usually like?

The first time they did it, they released a Halloween themed reskin of Harvest – with pumpkins that explode when you shoot them, and a ghost that sometimes appeared and "stunned" you by scaring you if you walked too close. Medpacks were changed to look like candy and spooky cauldrons. Sometimes when someone dies, they'll drop a glowing-pumpkin-shaped-bucket-of-candy – if you pick that up, you'll get a couple seconds of kritz.

The next year, it was an A/D map, Mann Manor, where the Horseless Headless Horseman would spawn in the middle of the match and chase people around. He took a lot of damage to kill, and would one-shot people with his giant axe. If he was chasing you, it was a good strategy to lead him towards the other team's spawn, so he'd cause more trouble for them than for your team. The pumpkin bombs were also back, and the spooky medpacks, and the kritz boosts. This year Valve also introduced "costume" cosmetics, which could only be earned by picking up presents that randomly spawned during the game. This set was just paper bags with mercenary's faces crudely drawn on. There was also cosmetic stuff you could earn with achievements, like landing the killing blow on the HHH.

The third year, it was a reskin of Viaduct. A big glowing eyeball would occasionally spawn and start shooting rocket-eyeballs at people until you killed it. The big difference this year, was that the competitive game is entirely interrupted while the boss is alive – you have to "work together" to kill it before the timer and point open up again. Of course, if you kill the other team while you kill the boss, then you get better access to the point when it unlocks. During the boss battle, you could jump through portals to an "underworld" island place, which you'd quickly run through and back through another portal, to emerge in the battlefield with kritz, uber, and a speedboost. When the boss died, another portal would open up, which took you to a place where you earned an achievement for another cosmetic item. The pumpkin bombs, kritz drops, candy medpacks, and costume presents all returned as well. This year the costumes were way more elaborate, and also had "Halloween only" tags attached to them.

The fourth year, there was a reskin of Lakeside, and Merasmus for a boss. I missed this event last year, but I can only assume they added EVEN MORE spectacle, even more stuff, even more toys, while continuing with everything they did the previous year.

You can go back and play old Halloween Maps in Halloween Mode at any time, if you want to gather the costumes and see the old bosses.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

quote:

Scream Fortress 2013 has arrived

Help settle the score in one of the longest running feuds in Mann history
Comic and additional information available on the website (http://www.teamfortress.com/bazbobarrabus)
Scream Fortress 2013 runs until Nov 11, 2013
Added New Halloween Map Helltower
Equip a spell book and cast spells against your enemies
Spells can be found by pushing the cart, killing enemies and during the Witching hour
The Clocktower contains powerful magic during the Witching hour
Win the race to start mega healed in the final battle for your prize
Granting Spellbook Magazine to all players who launch TF2 during Scream Fortress
Added over 100 Halloween tagged items from the TF2 Steam workshop
Added Spooky Crate and Spooky Key to drop list and Mann co Store respectively
Added class Transmogrifier's to covert Scream Fortress 2013 items of one type to another
Added item Enchantment: Eternaween
Enabled Halloween event maps in quick play
Enabled Halloween gifts on Halloween event maps
Enabled Halloween Spell Potions
Enabled Mann Vs Machine event map Wave 666 in bootcamp
Enabled Halloween themed Unusual Effects to be found from Mann Co Supply Crates
Haunted Quality Items can now be listed on the Steam Market place

Map : Ghost Fort

Lowered Merasmus's base health

Weapon Changes

Medic's Crusader Crossbow now silently reloads when unholstered, similar to Pyro flaregun
Fixed the charge rate for the Bazaar Bargain when the player has 0 heads
In PvP Medics can now see the clip status of a patient’s active weapon

Item Fixes

Updated The Air Raider so it can be painted correctly
Updated The Bone Dome so it doesn't hide Pyro backpack
Strange Part: Kills While Ubercharged can no longer be applied to Strange Equalizers and Escape Plans
Fixed the backpack panel using the wrong "drop_sound" when items are moved around

Virtual Reality changes

Improved readability of the UI in VR
Removed the IPD calibration tool. TF2 will now obey the Oculus configuration file. Use the Oculus calibration tool in your SDK or install and run "OpenVR" under Tools in Steam to calibrate your IPD.
Added dropdown to enable VR mode in the Video options. Removed the -vr command line option.
Added the ability to switch in and out of VR mode without quitting the game
By default VR mode will run full screen. To switch back to a borderless window set the vr_force_windowed convar.
Added support for VR mode on Linux

Misc Bug Fixes

Fixed an exploit that allowed unlimited uses of noisemaker items
Fixed not being able to earn the Brotherhood of Steel achievement in MvM (play with 5 friends)
Fixed the camera target not always being visible when using the replay editor
Removed some servers that forged player counts from quickplay and the server browser

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

"Full moon" lasts for half a week, and "Halloween" tends to last a week or two (?), so you can really use restricted items about 20% of the time. Then throw in the new "eternaween" item, and servers that just enable haloween mode.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, having a ticket only be "spent" if your team wins was actually a pretty brilliant decision, showing some remarkable foresight. A lot of game companies wouldn't have bothered.

I'm assuming some game has done something like that before, somewhere. Anyone know where Valve might have got their inspiration?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'll accept a minisentry cost increase to 101 only if the dispenser drops to 99.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

About time. Nothing more infuriating than lining up a taunt kill and getting that stupid halloween taunt instead.

Are you kidding? Thrillering in a situation where you clearly would have taunt-killed is a bottomless well of hilarity. It's all the fun of how a taunt-kill exposes the predictability of its victim, with an added layer of last-minute reversal!

I mean, if it happened year-round, it wouldn't be as great, but as a temporary twist, it's perfect.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh man, if I could participate in tonight's funhavers I would. There's a slight chance, but... ugh, probably not.

I'd hook up my junky pseudo-SNES controller and try to play TF2 like that. Left bumper as the strafe modifier key, D-pad for movement and turning. ABXY for primary fire, secondary fire, jump, and a voice bind, right bumper for switch weapon. It sounds almost reasonable!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, it should have been bound to reload in the first place (instead of inventing an entirely new keybind used only for that one thing), but it's weird that they'd change something like that and just bury the news. Lots of people are bound to think it's buggy at first.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Valve Economics Wizards gathered in a circle and chanted "collectors, collectors", condensing Demand from the aether to elevate the value of weapons. Will this sorcery successfully weaken the beast we call Metal Inflation?

Ciaphas posted:

It must be an interesting job for him, being able to play god with a functioning economy like this one.

It's kind of a stretch to call the tf2 economy "functioning".

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 13, 2013

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Remove engineer from the game. Remove heavy from the game. Play soldier, demo, medic, or get the gently caress out of my tf2.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm sorry, it's all about the stock shotgun. The stock shotgun is the most fun weapon in TF2.

Shotgun + gunslinger (so you can spend less time building and more time having +25 health with your shotgun).
Shotgun + degreaser (so you can quickly switch back to shooting people after you airblast).
Shotgun + whatever heavy gun (this should be a sandwich instead).
Shotgun + rockets too I guess

TF3 will have only four classes, but to the consternation of Pros everywhere, it won't be Demo/Medic/Soldier/Scout, it will be the four classes that equip the shotgun.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

CoolCab posted:

What would be the cheapest/fastest way of finding 5 unique Holy Mackerels? Scrap.tf seems to be out of them, and all the dispenser.tf guys want a scrap for each.

Before scrap.tf came around, the standard price for unique weapons was a scrap. Yeah, it's a 2:1 profit, but you're just buying unique weapons and it's still a negligibly cheap price. You're paying someone for even bothering to sell something so tiny.

Scrap.tf basically introduced no-profit-margins weapons trading, which is obviously way better. But if they're out of what you want, 1 scrap is the price you're gonna find.

CoolCab posted:

I would just reduce it's turning speed. That way direction and positioning are super important and a well placed ambush gun can provide amazing area denial, but plopping it down anywhere in the open (the actual problem with minis) means it can get flanked, bombed over and taken out, or just ran around by Scouts.
That's the best minisentry nerf idea I've ever heard. I would get behind this 100%.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 16, 2013

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I like using minis as little disposable traps. It lets me leave a Sentry Defense somewhere while I fight, without the boring process of building a whole nest. I'm just a slow scout who poops out turrets and dispensers.

The BS use of minis is to drop them in an open battlefield to suddenly change everything. Like placing them somewhere on Hightower to target half the map.

A turn-speed reduction would perfectly nerf the latter case without damaging the former case. I'm in love.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm always really happy to see some small, reasonable weapon changes tossed in with a update. As long as they keep doing this, I'll always be able to repress my cynicism about the hat-centric updates.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Reiley posted:

If you hit someone client-side but the hit doesn't register on the server for whatever reason it still counts as a hit when using the Boston Basher with regards to whether or not you take self-bleed.

Huh.

Is it possible to "miss" clientside but "hit" serverside, causing both yourself and the enemy to bleed?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tamayachi posted:

Fun fact: Apparently the guy that did that awesome End of the Line SFM trailer is in fact working on a longer 8 minute version AND was contacted by Valve to perhaps have an update to TF2 released at the same time as the short!

video

SOURCE:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/interview-james-mcvinnie-director-of-end-of-the-line/

We kinda already knew the full version was in the works, since that's what a "trailer" is, a video that tells you about an upcoming thing by showing you bits of it.

But yeah, that RPS interview is really interesting and people should read it if they're even vaguely curious about Source Film Maker.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I actually have access to my desktop computer this week. What time does Friday Night Funhavers usually go down?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hey I'm in the FHF server for the first time ever and it's friday night and only a couple other guys are there and we're all wondering where everyone is???

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I can't wait to watch my teammates be uncooperative and selfish because they've got to keep up their killstreak. (Not that everyone needed this particular excuse.)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Isn't there a thread for the MvM group Goon vs Machine? I had it bookmarked at one point but I removed it when I stopped playing MvM.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So killstreak weapons are really awful encouragement to focus on deathmatch over objectives and teamwork. Of course, if I don't like the way it changes the game, I can just not play on a team with killstreaking people, right?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Killing the enemy is always beneficial to your team regardless of motivation. :ssh:

Refusing to put yourself in a situation where you might die, because that'd end your killstreak, is often disadvantageous to winning a match.

Magypsy posted:

Having items that make your face glow and weapon shine a different colour seem like it goes against TF2's whole visibility schtick. Isn't that why we have never had (and hopefully never will) painted weapons?

Eh, that game disappeared long ago. We'll get paintable weapons whenever Valve gets around to it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Redjakk posted:

I wanted to test how viable an MvM build I could make by using the Medigun and maxing out the shield, ubercharge rate and ubercharge time to effectively build my character around prolonged shield bashing but everyone whined and threatened to kick me for not using the Kritz.

MvM was only fun during its first week, when everyone was just having fun killing bots with overpowered weapons, and winning missions was a matter of experimenting to figure out what worked best. Now that most pubbies think they've "solved" it to various degrees, it's basically a chore to grind out missions in the acceptable way. Updates like this recent one can't really shake things up more than slightly. Basically: Don't play MvM unless you're in a pre-arranged party of people with similar experience levels and funhaving goals.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Reiley posted:

I don't like the whole deal using airblast offensively because it feels dumb to take someone's control away so easily for stepping within ten feet and hitting M2, but even besides that it's so much more efficient to just fry people and move on.

I don't use the Axestinguisher, but I use the degreaser to access my shotgun more flexibly. Flames are almost as unreliable as melee. My pyro play looks like: reflect-then-shotgun-then-extinguishTeammate-then-shotgun.

EDIT: wait, there was a whole page after this thing I quoted, and the topic moved on. Sorry!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So, let me see if I have this straight:

Killstreak Kit:
  • Simply drops in MvM.
  • Only can be attached to the specific weapon it's named for. Can be attached to any quality (unique, strange, genuine, vintage, etc) but not to reskins (Original, Postal Pummeler, botkiller variants, festive variants, etc). However, if you wish to use this in the creation of a next-tier kit, you must attach it to a Unique weapon.
  • A weapon modified with this kit counts killstreaks.

Specialized Killstreak Kit:
  • Made from a Specialized Killstreak Kit Fabricator, robot parts (24 battle-worn, 5 reinforced), and a Unique weapon equipped with a basic Killstreak Kit.
  • Must be attached to the weapon it's named for -- determined by the basic killstreak weapon used in its creation. Can be attached to any quality, but not to reskins. However, if you wish to use this in the creation of a next-tier kit, you must attach it to a Unique weapon.
  • A weapon modified with this kit counts killstreaks and has a sheen

Professional Killstreak Kit:
  • Made from a Professional Killstreak Kit Fabricator, robot parts (16 battle-worn, 6 reinforced, 3 pristine), and two Unique weapons each equipped with a specialized Killstreak Kit. The specialized killstreak weapons must be the same as each other.
  • Must be attached to the weapon it's named for -- determined by the specialized killstreak weapons used in its creation. Can be attached to any quality, but not to reskins.
  • A weapon modified with this kit counts killstreaks, has a sheen, and has a unusual-like effect on your character that grows with your killsteak.

Christ. Each new crafting system Valve adds is more convoluted than the last.

So if I wanted to make a Strange shotgun into a Professional Killstreak Strange Shotgun, I would need:
  • Four Unique shotguns, on top of the Strange shotgun I'm trying to augment.
  • Two Killstreak Shotgun Kits
  • Two Specialized Killstreak Kit Fabricators
  • One Professional Killsteak Kit Fabricator
  • 64 battle-worn robot parts, 16 reinforced robot parts, 3 pristine robot parts

They could make things exactly this rare, but with a much simpler crafting/drop system. But they didn't. It's almost as if they're trying to mask how much grinding is involved in building these, and make it difficult to calculate how many Mann Up Tickets you must buy to get all this stuff.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 28, 2013

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh, thanks. That's definitely one of the things I was unsure about. I can't tell if that's more or less convoluted than what I was thinking, though.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

IllIllIll posted:

Yeah it's annoying that the wrap assassin does less damage than the cleave while having a longer recharge time. If you're fast you can throw a second cleaver while the wrap recharges.

That's because you can equip the wrap assassin at the same time as a pistol, whereas the cleaver replaces the pistol. If they tried balancing melee weapons with secondary weapons, we'd all be hosed.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

CoolCab posted:

Man, why does the Dakov's loving Bar get a reskin? Like, my options for the stickylauncher are ''sticky launcher, sticky launcher with dumb poo poo glued to it'' but oh poo poo, can't leave the Dakov's Bar fans wanting.

They don't make reskins of weapons because they wanna add variety to a specific weapon, they make them because there's a skin they want in the game but they don't want new stats for it. Fishcake is a running joke in Spacechem, and pretty much the only (non-cosmetic) item I can imagine them adding as a promo for how abstract that game is. They could have made be a copy of the sticky launcher instead of the chocolate, but I don't think it'd make much sense.

They might get around to buffing the chocolate/fishcake one of these days, since that seems to be the pattern. That'd be neat.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 30, 2013

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

When you're a newbie on a losing team, the game can reach unfun levels of frustration: your teammates aren't alive enough to keep the enemy at bay, and you don't even have the skill to get away from approaching enemies, so you can end up simply walking out of spawn and dying repeatedly, before you even get a chance to "try" to fight back. Being on the winning team gives newbies more opportunity to practice and get better: since they're alive more, they can be on the edges of the battle and practice aiming and movement, occasionally chipping in and getting a taste for battle in a "safer" environment.

It's frustrating when competent players switch to stack on a team, since lopsided games are no fun for anyone. But I can't really fault someone for switching out of an already-collapsing team: if you're not good enough to help the losing team come back, I'm not going to demand you keep trying fruitlessly.

EDIT: Are australium weapons reskins, or standard weapons with an added attribute?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yes! Healing injured teammates instead of glomming onto a pocket! Coolcrab's priority list seems reasonable, though I'm not sure if I'd give scouts and snipers special treatment -- just overheal them when you have the time, like everyone else.

Note: if you start healing one out of few teammates who are low on health, don't switch away until your first target is mostly full! (Or runs away.) Scatterdly throwing 10-15 health on four different teammates isn't as helpful as getting two of them back to full while two of them run for health elsewhere.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 2, 2013

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The second issue of that "bi-monthly" comic hasn't finished yet, has it?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well, its introduction took place "currently", with Merasmus in jail. But then it flashed back to a time that's unclear: Redmond and Blutarch are dead, Grey Mann is the new boss of their former employees, but the mercenaries aren't yet fired. So... during the "six months later" skip from Issue 1?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

CoolCab posted:

It has to be immediately after the brothers have died, Soldier is still living in his castle. Grey kills his brothers, the events of Mann Versus Machine occur, which means that the mercenaries were never fired, they just moved to being paid in robot corpses (Red and Blu both being funded by Mann Co), the events of the Halloween comic happen, Grey takes over Mann Co as per the events of the first section of the comic, fires the mercenaries, six months pass (team members return to their country of origin except Demo who slides into alcoholism, Soldier becomes homeless, Pyro runs a Fortune 500 company, Scout breaks both his arms and is arrested with Spy, Medic ''got a fancy job'', Engineer falls off the grid), the events of the second section of the first comic happen, Merasmus is arrested for the murder of Tom Jones, Merasmus tells the events of the Halloween comic while in prison.

See? Perfectly simple :pseudo:

Oh, right. I know that in the Halloween comic, the ghost of BLU says "Miriam, it's your employer, Mr Mann. No, not Gray, you idiot! Me!" So during the Robot Wars, Gray had control of RED and BLU (the companies), with the mercenaries defending Mann Co.

It's interesting that the comics have slowly progressed from telling TF2's backstory, to now telling stories that take place AFTER the gameplay. TF2 takes place during the Gravel Wars (for PvP) and the Robot Wars (for MvM), and there are comics taking place before, during and now after all of that. The timeline, it grows.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Well, that was fun! And interesting. Now we know who the (italicized, bolded, unattached pronoun) "her" is, that people would talk at Saxton Hale about. Previously, the only real possible guess was The Administrator, but in retrospect it makes sense that they'd just introduce a new character, since she's supposed to be like, what, a hundred times his age, as an ancient being from beyond time? Or something?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

I would loving love to see how Valve coded reflects. Because today I found out that if you get a reflect kill with a killstreak flamethrower it doesn't count towards a streak at all :smith:

That's loving terrible!

Now I guess we're beginning to understand why there's never been a "reflect kills" strange part, and instead we got a crummy "# of projectiles reflected" part. Because reflects are apparently horribly cobbled-together code.

I'm guessing that when you hit someone with a reflected projectile, it attributes that projectile to you as the player, but it's only associated with the original weapon, because it needs that association to properly implement effects (like heal for Black Box or jarate for Jarate). So there's no mechanism in place for flamethrowers to "know" what happens to the projectiles they reflect -- the usual method for transferring information on impact, instead happens with the original weapon, as if you had that weapon equipped?
Idunno, what I just said makes sense to me.

• Locked thread