Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Developed by AlphaDream and published by Nintendo for DS in 2009, Bowser's Inside Story is the third in the Mario and Luigi series, and its second outing for the DS. Technically, it's an RPG. But there's a lot more to it than just picking attacks from a menu. A good mix of more involved battles and overworld platforming breathes a bit of life into the tired-and-true formula. Add in a great cast of characters new and old and some of the best localization on the console and you've got a critical and commercial success that nobody quite seems to remember.

The fact that nobody has even tried to LP this yet is a travesty. So I, with my partner in crime Phoenik, are going to show you everything we can about this game. All the collectibles, all the optional battles, and all the side quests. Expect two videos per week, give or take as life allows. So grab your mushrooms and overalls and join us for one of the finest DS games ever made.

No story spoilers. I know, it's a Nintendo game. Mario is going to win in the end. But there are some interesting twists in the meantime. But even more important, no spoiling characters or locations. The writing is this game's strongest point, and needs to be experienced fresh for the first timers. Feel free to discuss the previous two games.

Lastly, you can find Kaz and Medibot's LP of the first Mario & Luigi game here.

Starting from scratch? Here's the playlist.

Episodes

]

Bonus Content

Awesome Things By Awesome People

Aristide helps Bowser contemplate a wardrobe change:

hhwoot made same lovely vectors.

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at Feb 27, 2014 around 17:40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

The music for episodes 1 & 2:

Dramatis Personae

Mario: Fat Italian plumber. He's been the star of more games than I've had hot dinners. If you don't know who this guy is, who are you and how did you end up here?

Luigi: Slightly less fat Italian plumber. He's been the star of more games than I've had ambulance rides. He's been the second fiddle for so long that he has dependency issues based around Mario.

Princess Peach: Ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom and repeat kidnapping victim. And I mean just in this game. She was rescued from some of the less savory elements of Bowser's guts only to be re-captured by Fawful. Currently hooked up to some machine purpose built to break the seal on the Dark Star.

Starlow/Chippy: Female star sprite that lives a double life, split between tutorializing and haranguing Bowser.

Bowser: Mario's arch-nemesis. Seriously, why am I telling you this like you don't know? Currently driven by a desire to punch Fawful's face in, which is a laudable goal to be sure. Unperturbed by talking things in his stomach.

Globin: Strange things inside Bowser that dispense tutorials or mysterious healing goo. Bonk at you own risk.

Fat Toad: Hehe. Look at his little arms. He can't even move.

Personae Non Grata

Fawful: Making his exciting return from Mario & Luigi 1, Fawful is bent on taking over the Mushroom Kingdom by... making people fat and powering up Bowser. Perhaps not the brightest tool in the shed, but he has a bitchin' cape. Eye witness reports indicate he may be in possession of fury. And the Dark Star. And the princess. And her castle. We're not doing well, are we?

Midbus: Fawful's loyal minion. He got all the recessive genes, while Bowser got the dominant.

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at Feb 27, 2014 around 17:40

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead.

You have a dead image.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

You have a dead image.

And we're off to a fantastic start!

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

Khajiit like to WUB WUB WUB

YamiNoSenshi posted:

And we're off to a fantastic start!

Use LPix so your images don't get thrown away.

ChaosSamusX
Jul 18, 2010

So, is Bowser just really big now, or is this game kind of really ignoring basic physics?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Eat it, Nature!

ChaosSamusX posted:

So, is Bowser just really big now, or is this game kind of really ignoring basic physics?

Absolutely nothing about Bower's biology makes any sense in this game. Just imagine that everything he inhales shrinks down.

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

Villain tip: Next time kill
someone I actually like.

ChaosSamusX posted:

The latter. Just ignore it, the game makes no attempts to take this seriously so questioning it is pointless.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

Cody sunk into the top of the desk as Damien fell to his elbows over him. He grabbed a handful of hair and whispered in his year: "Oh my dear, you are going to make an excellent apprentice. I have so much more to teach you..."

Never got around to playing this. Looks pretty neat so far!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

This game has some of my favorite boss fights ever, Mario series or not.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead.

Bowser either towers over you or TOWERS over you in half the games he's in.

Yinlock
Oct 21, 2008

This game is absolutely amazing and deserves all the attention it can get. The localization deserves a standing ovation, they always manage to nail the exact right mix of brilliant and profoundly stupid.

Glad to see this getting LPed.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

I felt BIS was a return to form after Partners in Time. Everything is great from the writing to the battle system.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosSamusX posted:

Y'know how when you're playing an RPG and you go into house that turns out to be big enough to hold an entire catering service even though on the outside it only seems big enough to maybe be a two bedroom apartment? It's kinda like that.

Another way to look at it is to say that it's like those giant department stores in Pokemon where their floors are four times bigger than the building seems from the outside.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 16, 2004

And what's the deal with those jars in Mario 2?

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Very good job on the editing on these videos. I'm impressed.

Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

Khajiit like to WUB WUB WUB

RareAcumen posted:

Y'know how when you're playing an RPG and you go into house that turns out to be big enough to hold an entire catering service even though on the outside it only seems big enough to maybe be a two bedroom apartment? It's kinda like that.

Another way to look at it is to say that it's like those giant department stores in Pokemon where their floors are four times bigger than the building seems from the outside.

Yet another way to look at it is that Fawful did some magic poo poo with a mushroom and now Mario and Luigi are running around Bowser's insides.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

rbakervv posted:

Very good job on the editing on these videos. I'm impressed.

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. Mastigophoran and friends wrote a beautiful AVISynth script for DS games that I'm making heavy use of.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

And for my next trick, an update

And the music:

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at Oct 29, 2013 around 23:07

SSNeoman
Jul 19, 2011

Villain tip: Next time kill
someone I actually like.

That Blooper was legit one of my favourite boss fights. The way you use both M&L as well as Bowser is fantastic. An punching the blooper when he's stuck on the plaque is satisfying as hell.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Nice, I was curious about this game but never bothered to pick it up. I loved the original M&L Superstars, only played like 1/2 to 3/4 of PIT, but I could never really get use to the style. Cool concept, but odd gameplay over all.

Also, PLEASE tell me you won't be taking some 70+ episodes to finish everything you want to in this game. I saw a recommended vid on YouTube and it was at part 77. No game should take that long if you put effort into editing and stuff.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Ben Kasack posted:

Nice, I was curious about this game but never bothered to pick it up. I loved the original M&L Superstars, only played like 1/2 to 3/4 of PIT, but I could never really get use to the style. Cool concept, but odd gameplay over all.

Also, PLEASE tell me you won't be taking some 70+ episodes to finish everything you want to in this game. I saw a recommended vid on YouTube and it was at part 77. No game should take that long if you put effort into editing and stuff.

In general, if you've seen it once you won't see it again, at least not at regular speed. I'm showing each enemy once to explain its attacks and counters, after that it'll be sped up. I'll be avoiding some fights as well, and going back off screen to keep my levels up so future fights are quicker. Any way I can think of the keep the pace up and keep things entertaining, I'll do.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I might add that both versions of the Plack Beach theme are my favorite songs on the soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc15jAFf7_8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnWrapbjMIE

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I goddamn Love the Mario and Luigi series.
Skill/timing-based RPGs are my fave thing on this electronic earth.

Also the Roulette isn't random. Sure as hell isn't. Also it's a lot easier to game in Dream Team.

It goes like this:
or

Or some such arrangement. Bottom line is highest numbers right in the middle or right at the end of a higher than 1 block..

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at Oct 26, 2013 around 20:13

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also the Roulette isn't random. Sure as hell isn't.

In fact, some of the harder bosses almost require you to game the level up system unless you are absolutely excellent at dodging.

Min-Maxing in a Mario and Luigi game.

I love that Boo is holding Bowser's roulette.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at Oct 26, 2013 around 22:45

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BULLSHIT
PUZZLES
A PLENTY

ChaosSamusX posted:

It probably has something to do with either the magic mushroom or the magic pipes inside Bowser.

Also great to see an LP of this; this is easily one of my top favorite RPGs, and the best Mario RPG (though I haven't played the most recent M&L so that may change).

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Can you guys cut back on calling characters a bitch? Doesn't go with the happy Mario game.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Loved the hell out of Superstar Saga, but gave this one a go and never got far because I just really didn't like the feel of Bowser's fights and overworld movement. Looking forward to seeing what I missed!

In the first episode you said about that heart thing Peach does to weaken Bowser "If she has this power, why has she never used it before?". I assumed it was the same thing as she did at the end of Paper Mario when Bowser's got the Star Rod making him invincible: she makes a wish that's granted by the star sprites with you, weakening him so you can defeat him. So she could only use it this time since Starlow was there.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Also the Roulette isn't random. Sure as hell isn't. Also it's a lot easier to game in Dream Team.

It goes like this:
or

Or some such arrangement. Bottom line is highest numbers right in the middle or right at the end of a higher than 1 block..

You're right. I went back and checked and the pattern for my next SP boost was:

I guess I've been coddled by Dream Team's slower speed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

That roulette zips by amazingly quickly. Are its values influenced by how far off the average you are, or just how many times you've played the roulette for that stat?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The roulette numbers get better every level for a stat that you didnt choose. In other words repeatedly rouletting one stat gives diminishing returns.

So skip on upping attack for a few levels and you start seeing 6s instead of 4s. And in the m&l games end game stats for are in the low 100s/barely sub 100.

Good roulettes make things go by much faster.

(Man what is with me an ing on ds game LPs?)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

If you get good at fudging the reels, the worst you'll ever see is something like:

and it gets pretty easy to hit 3 every time at that point.

It's not game breaking, but it helps.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Lowtax

If you're looking for great RPGs that do timing-based attacks in their battle systems, Shadow Hearts made it a fundamental gameplay aspect for all three games.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Update Time

I'll be including any new music for each episode, so you can listen to it without all our yammering. Like this:

I'll go back and add music to the first three episodes as well.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

"When Jameson delivers my Bitcoin miners, Spider-Man won't be able to stop me!"

I'm just adoring all of the sprite work that went into this game. Even if it's straight-forward and even simplistic for an RPG, it's a treat to the eyes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

tlarn posted:

I'm just adoring all of the sprite work that went into this game. Even if it's straight-forward and even simplistic for an RPG, it's a treat to the eyes.

Some of the best stuff in mario and luigi is all the little animations they stick into the games. When they games get talky it's oftentimes a good idea to watch all the dudes on the screen, even those not involved in the conversation, as there is almost always something going on.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Starlow is the worst character. She doesnt even get as many cool animations as some minor characters.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Starlow is the worst character. She doesnt even get as many cool animations as some minor characters.

She's got the creative design of a bob-omb without the emotional range.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

For those who might not know (I didn't): "chippy" is slang for a cheap whore. So yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Did someone ask for Bowser in overalls?

I've only played the first game in the M&L series so thanks for LPing it! I'm already in love with the localization; I can't think of a lot of games that would toss in a Little House on the Prairie reference.

«8 »