Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MGN001
May 12, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why would you ever buy either of those :confused: They screw me up more than they help, honestly.

I don't know why you'd buy the mitt, but with the spring shoes, I can typically leave things where they are until I clear a bloody path to the exit, then return and get them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm hoping you do multiplayer runs of this game :allears:

I love Spelunky to death, even though it hates me. There are so many ways you can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 25, 2013

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler
Oh man, I'm excited for this. I played the Gamemaker version a ton, though I usually never managed to get past the jungle on most run-throughs. I'm excited to see how this game is played the correct way.

Or the Psychedelic Eyeball way, which is probably even better.

Of all the objects and creatures in this game, I have the Damsel'd throwing physics down flat. I almost never miss a shot with her, much to her possible dismay.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The multiplayer is probably going to be tricky to show off properly, given that it's local only.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Why would you ever buy either of those :confused: They screw me up more than they help, honestly.

Am I the only one who loves the pitcher's mitt? I find it's much easier to snipe enemies with a reliable straight shot. I feel like it's almost a necessity for Anubis if you don't have a shotgun.

Then again, it's way too easy to learn new things in this game, so maybe I'll learn to hate it by this time tomorrow.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PrivateEyeball posted:

Then again, it's way too easy to learn new things in this game, so maybe I'll learn to hate it by this time tomorrow.
I love the pitchers' mitt and the spring shoes, although I hated the latter in the original version. I loved the climbing gloves in the first version of the game, but they're a lot more hazardous in this one due to your character's tendency to grab hold of one-square-high ledges.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I have a tendency to forget I have the mitt sometimes and so I bounce bombs off of poo poo on shots that I normally wouldn't mess up at all. That drat thing is a hazard.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Oh man, I'm pretty excited for this.

On one of my trips to the middle of nowhere, I found myself with no internet and a laptop with Spelunky on it for a long time. I beat that game, I did... But have never seen the XBLA version. I'm pretty excited to see the differences!

Already, that boomerang is amazing and I wish there was a weapon like that in the GameMaker version.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

One thing I wish I could change about this game is the way your character grips to ledges if they're close enough, and not just when you're pressing the direction towards the ledge. It sounds useful, but I'd rather be in complete control of which ledges I grab on to rather than having to drop down all the time. It can also mean getting stuck to a ledge you're trying to drop past quickly, such as when you need to set off an arrow trap and don't have anything handy.

This is also why the climbing gloves are a huge pain in the rear end, although that could also be solved by letting you de-equip them.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love the pitchers' mitt and the spring shoes, although I hated the latter in the original version. I loved the climbing gloves in the first version of the game, but they're a lot more hazardous in this one due to your character's tendency to grab hold of one-square-high ledges.

I, too, love the pitcher's mitt and spring shoes. The climbing gloves have fallen out of my favor though. Usually if you have a cape or jetpack, you don't need to worry about saving yourself from fall damage, and the gloves really lose a lot of utility once you get one of those. It doesn't help that they are very finnicky and can screw you up if you're going for a faster time.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 25, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
As someone who is still trying to just beat the game, let alone speedrun it, I find the climbing gloves handy for saving on ropes if nothing else, and haven't had any trouble with them getting me killed. But eh, I'm sure everyone has a least-favorite item :v:

CannibalK9
Jun 4, 2009

We regret to inform you that, due to your recent performance, you have been demoted to Space Janitor. Your company-provided Space Mop can be found in the storage area that previously contained your personal belongings.
Started playing due to the thread, in the last ten minutes found myself falling into an abyss with a cape, parachute and a heap of ropes. After realising twice-over that they'd missed the trick of letting the player catch the very end of the rope if they throw it up while floating, I spotted the climbing gloves in the inventory, and subsequently jammed myself into the left wall, barely helping myself back to land with the aid of the two futility-ropes I'd thrown previously. Entirely makes up for the times I've caught the bottom half of a spike-totem!

This game is an amazing story generator, with meticulously consistent mechanics. You can predict how the machine will run well in advance, so when the dominoes hit the ball off the table and onto the catch that opens the trapdoor beneath your feet, all you need to do is step aside (and get hit by a spider hiding at the top of the screen).

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
I'm really looking forward to this, not really having the patience for this sort of game. It'll be like I'm playing, but with a different voice!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I'll look forward to the rest of the game. Everytime someone has streamed it; it was like 40 minutes of them just in the first two areas.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The best part of the game is when you get a jetpack and a shotgun in the first two levels from randomly bombing walls down, and you get to fly around the ice caves getting revenge on all those yetis and UFOs :argh:

And then you go into the Temple and run right into a slider trap. Splort.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

The best part of the game is when you get a jetpack and a shotgun in the first two levels from randomly bombing walls down, and you get to fly around the ice caves getting revenge on all those yetis and UFOs :argh:

And then you go into the Temple and run right into a slider trap. Splort.

I had that exact run earlier on my Vita. A slider was right next to the exit, but just off-screen. I broke out in a fit of laughter while my coworkers silently judged me.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

PrivateEyeball posted:

I had that exact run earlier on my Vita. A slider was right next to the exit, but just off-screen. I broke out in a fit of laughter while my coworkers silently judged me.

Your username indicates that you exist solely to tease me, and make me think that there's an update. :colbert: How does that make you feel, young man or woman?

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

FisheyStix posted:

Your username indicates that you exist solely to tease me, and make me think that there's an update. :colbert: How does that make you feel, young man or woman?

Kind of crappy, actually. I grew fond of this moniker long before I ever knew Psych was a thing.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

PrivateEyeball posted:

Kind of crappy, actually. I grew fond of this moniker long before I ever knew Psych was a thing.

All you need is a unique and not at all PsychEye avatar.

This game seems like a wonderful trainwreck waiting to happen :allears: I want to see you succeed, and fail.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
Speaking of failing, here's today's update! Let's get a grip and try to get past the mines on this second attempt. Can we do it?

Chapter 2 - Sleeping in a Jar

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Speaking of failing, here's today's update! Let's get a grip and try to get past the mines on this second attempt. Can we do it?

Maybe once the video loads properly. Is it still going?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

I almost feel like the video failing to load is intentional, and this is all somehow some kind of avant-garde LP performance art/meta-commentary.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

I guess I've posted the video too early. :sweatdrop:

Curse you, Youtube!

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

I guess I've posted the video too early. :sweatdrop:

Curse you, Youtube!

Works fine now! Keep up the good work, really enjoying what I've seen so far.

You need to do a Spelunky death roulette stream/video, I want to bet on how you die.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Avskum posted:

Works fine now! Keep up the good work, really enjoying what I've seen so far.

You need to do a Spelunky death roulette stream/video, I want to bet on how you die.
Funny that you're saying this, I was just about to do that.

Watch me play and bet on how I die!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
^^^ That link wants registration. Any option to watch it without it?

Since you're not showing the new journal entries, can you post them as screenshots afterward?

Also, what's your accent?

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
Man, those drat pots screw me over far more often than I would like to admit. It is just too easy to accidentally break one a little too close and take a hit.

Avskum
Jul 27, 2009

:smugfrog:

Funny that you're saying this, I was just about to do that.

Watch me play and bet on how I die!

Sweet, time to get rich.

Pierzak, that's the betting site and it uses your twitch account. If you don't have one you can just watch the stream at: http://sv.twitch.tv/psychedelic_eyeball

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Pierzak posted:

^^^ That link wants registration. Any option to watch it without it?

Since you're not showing the new journal entries, can you post them as screenshots afterward?

Also, what's your accent?

He's French Canadian, or Quebecer if you prefer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dickey Butts posted:

As I understand it, Ragny is also French Canadian, and sounds nothing like him. Psych's accent is so distinctive that I even hear it when reading his posts. :allears:

Regarding the video, I've taken to just ignoring jars. Sure you miss out on some money, but I'd rather have my health.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Somebody needs to grab the sound file of Skippy saying "I'm commander shepherd and this is my favorite anime on the station" and clip it to just be "this is my favorite anime"

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

As I understand it, Ragny is also French Canadian, and sounds nothing like him. Psych's accent is so distinctive that I even hear it when reading his posts. :allears:

Regarding the video, I've taken to just ignoring jars. Sure you miss out on some money, but I'd rather have my health.

Ragny is straight up French, actually.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Check out the OP. All of the journal entries that are relevant to stuff that we have seen are posted in there under the video list.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Avskum posted:

Pierzak, that's the betting site and it uses your twitch account. If you don't have one you can just watch the stream at: http://sv.twitch.tv/psychedelic_eyeball

Dickey Butts posted:

Check out the OP. All of the journal entries that are relevant to stuff that we have seen are posted in there under the video list.
Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Redeye Flight posted:

Ragny is straight up French, actually.

Huh. He has less of an accent than French people I work with in my day job who've been in the States for years now. Interesting.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Roxors posted:

Man, those drat pots screw me over far more often than I would like to admit. It is just too easy to accidentally break one a little too close and take a hit.

My first damage in most runs comes from being reckless with a pot. I like to think of them as a warmup exercise.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Always throw everything. If you can whip a pot, you are too close to it.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
Does whipping pots no longer instantly kill whatever's inside? In the freeware version whipping (while not standing directly on top of them like a dingus) was the safest way to break them.

Yagyumi
Aug 26, 2013

Right! It's bonkin' time! I loves a bit of bonkin'!

ghost sex posted:

Does whipping pots no longer instantly kill whatever's inside?

Even though I only extensively played the demo (and that was a good while ago, I'll admit), I THINK I recall whipping pots just reveal whichever enemy was hiding inside. Don't hold me on that, though. If I find to be completely wrong, I am deeply sorry for misleading you. Deeply, deeply sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Whipping pots should outright kill whatever's in them if you're close enough, if I remember correctly. Of course, if you're TOO close you run the risk of getting hit by whatever's in there.

• Locked thread