Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
My recent Spelunky binge makes me all the more interested in this. Can't wait to see what you whip up!

Are you planning on doing something like one decent run per video or just editing together a few runs that show off certain features/areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Why would you ever buy either of those :confused: They screw me up more than they help, honestly.

Am I the only one who loves the pitcher's mitt? I find it's much easier to snipe enemies with a reliable straight shot. I feel like it's almost a necessity for Anubis if you don't have a shotgun.

Then again, it's way too easy to learn new things in this game, so maybe I'll learn to hate it by this time tomorrow.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

The best part of the game is when you get a jetpack and a shotgun in the first two levels from randomly bombing walls down, and you get to fly around the ice caves getting revenge on all those yetis and UFOs :argh:

And then you go into the Temple and run right into a slider trap. Splort.

I had that exact run earlier on my Vita. A slider was right next to the exit, but just off-screen. I broke out in a fit of laughter while my coworkers silently judged me.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

FisheyStix posted:

Your username indicates that you exist solely to tease me, and make me think that there's an update. :colbert: How does that make you feel, young man or woman?

Kind of crappy, actually. I grew fond of this moniker long before I ever knew Psych was a thing.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Roxors posted:

Man, those drat pots screw me over far more often than I would like to admit. It is just too easy to accidentally break one a little too close and take a hit.

My first damage in most runs comes from being reckless with a pot. I like to think of them as a warmup exercise.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
When Psych climbs further into this LP, I'd really like to see a blooper reel based around Anubis's scythe. Today I learned that trying to kill an angry shopkeeper with the scythe is a bad idea. Even worse when you have 80+ bombs and choose not to use them.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

The day after I buy the Steam version (in case I ever get around to streaming it), of course. Totally worth it, though.

Only the Steam version has daily challenges, correct? I know the GOG and Vita versions don't.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Do the shopkeepers really never let you go? In the original, they'd eventually (i.e. after a few levels) stop aggroing you on sight as long as you never actually killed a shopkeeper. You'd have to sneak past one or two of them guarding the exits, though.

A neat thing you could do is set a Mantrap loose in their shop, wait for it to eat the shopkeeper, steal his shotgun, flee (he'll burst free from the Mantrap a bit later), and have a shotgun for the rest of the game without pissing any shopkeepers off.

I want to try this out. The problem is that carrying a Mantrap any distance may be riskier than dealing with pissed off shopkeeps.

PrivateEyeball fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 1, 2013

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Lizard Wizard posted:

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall the key won't damage the player when bouncing back off of things, making it notable as a weapon.

I believe it does. But it also doesn't bounce well. I've been hit by the stupid thing a few times, though. Most notably, in the ice caves (level 3-4), I set it in on some land bordering the bottom left corner, and it started bouncing on one of those bouncy traps. I tried to pick it up and I got stuck in a chain reaction of smashiness.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
768 deaths and 7 wins later, I landed my first special win tonight. Just barely got the "Big Money" achievement, with $506. Oddly enough, a night that started off with vault ghosting practice ended with a full run that involved ghosting no vaults (that I can remember).

Frankomatic posted:

My new crowning achievement in Spelunky HD is finally, finally getting the last needed thing for the shortcut to the Temple down to where it needed to go. God drat that was way more annoying than it was probably worth considering I pretty much never use the shortcuts anyway.

...still haven't managed to get a win, either. Got to Olmec a few times, but I keep messing up in the fight. :( I've also never managed to actually survive a trip into... well, pretty much any of the extra stages aside from one that hasn't been shown yet and the Black Market.

Unlocking the Temple shortcut may have been more satisfying than any win. As for Olmec, I assume Psych is going to show off how to beat him, both the easy, resource-heavy way, and the hard way. I'd argue that fighting Olmec with limited resources may be the hardest part of the game.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Glazius posted:

Remember your Lord Acton: with great power comes great potential for stupid deaths.

Such as jetpacking straight into some spikes at the end of level 5-3 in the daily challenge. I had a good two minute Psych-like laughing fit at that one.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
The Great Web Gun Challenge: Catch every shopkeeper (other than vault guards) in the web gun, alive.

Mostly because I've yet to see anyone seriously care about the web gun.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Skeleton Warrior: skulls and only skulls may be thrown.

I also like this one, disallow guns and it would make things fun. If I had my Vita on me, I'd give it a go.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Pyradox posted:

Anyway, you get rid of the ball and chain using a few methods. I won't go into detail in case Psych is planning on showing it off in the LP, but generally it's no more resilient than say, the Key in the mines.

I hope he shoes it off, just because its fun watching people try to break it.

It's really fun to play around with it on. It can do some crazy stuff. It can also break the Moai, though it turns the Hedjet into a diamond.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
On the note of items affecting the ghost: While the camera is the only player item that affects it, there are other things that can. I know the UFO's attacks will deal damage to her and knock her back a bit. She has infinite health, so the damage doesn't matter, but the knockback may be useful in some capacity.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Kaubocks posted:

It's happened to me before.

It's very embarassing. :smith:

Yup. I've killed myself with my own shotgun twice recently.

Tonight, I also made it a point to destroy all of Olmec's lair with the plasma cannon. Was down to two square of land left. While jetpacking, shot the one, went to land on the other, but a rock flew off that one, hit me, and I fell in the lava and died. Still managed my new personal best of about $649,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Huzzah! posted:

It gives you a double jump in addition to the slow fall, but you have to do the second jump before you can glide which can be annoying. It is a much better looking cape, though.

You know, I've never actually used Vlad's cape (I just grab the amulet and scram), but I believe you can't toggle the glide with it either. So you can jump, jump, glide, stop gliding, and hope you're not going to die (but you will, because Spelunky).

Opposed to the normal cape, where you can toggle your descent speed infinitely. Then you'll still die because you were playing with the cape too much to notice that tiki trap.

• Locked thread