Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My favorite recent death was from carrying a damsel and trying to throw a sticky bomb. No bomb appeared. About half a second before detonation I realized that this was because the bomb had stuck to the damsel while I was carrying her. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MGN001 posted:

while he's trying to decide between spring shoes or the pitcher's mitt.

Why would you ever buy either of those :confused: They screw me up more than they help, honestly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As someone who is still trying to just beat the game, let alone speedrun it, I find the climbing gloves handy for saving on ropes if nothing else, and haven't had any trouble with them getting me killed. But eh, I'm sure everyone has a least-favorite item :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The best part of the game is when you get a jetpack and a shotgun in the first two levels from randomly bombing walls down, and you get to fly around the ice caves getting revenge on all those yetis and UFOs :argh:

And then you go into the Temple and run right into a slider trap. Splort.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dickey Butts posted:

He's French Canadian, or Quebecer if you prefer.

As I understand it, Ragny is also French Canadian, and sounds nothing like him. Psych's accent is so distinctive that I even hear it when reading his posts. :allears:

Regarding the video, I've taken to just ignoring jars. Sure you miss out on some money, but I'd rather have my health.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Redeye Flight posted:

Ragny is straight up French, actually.

Huh. He has less of an accent than French people I work with in my day job who've been in the States for years now. Interesting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Green Intern posted:

Also, shopkeepers going hostile because of boulder traps. I do t recall that ever happening in the original. Probably because boulders have been beefed up substantially in their destructive power.

I've definitely had shopkeepers get upset when a boulder destroys their store. I'm pretty sure that anything that damages the store at all will cause them to get angry at you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
In my experience with the original, boulders need to have at least a 3-wide gap in the floor if they're going to fall down to a lower level. Otherwise they just end up carving a horizontal tunnel at a single level of elevation, which means they're only going to damage shops if the shopkeeper is on the same level as the boulder.

Boulders (in the original) also lose speed quickly, so one that's moving slowly enough to fall down to a lower level probably will get stuck shortly thereafter. And I don't think they can crush walls from above, only from the sides.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cheez posted:

In the original game they were kind of a bummer because they were fast enough to catch you off guard.

The original Mines idols were the second-easiest to deal with (after Jungle idols) since all you needed was a 2-tile-tall platform to stand on, or a rope. Or a bomb; blowing up the tiles the idol is resting on disarms the trap. You should never end up accidentally destroying a shop unless you're being extremely careless.

Intentionally destroying a shop is a different matter entirely :unsmigghh:

I did have one level where the boulder managed to roll on top of the level exit, and I'd spent my last bomb getting a mattock out of a snake pit. Mattocks don't work on boulders :bang:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PotatoManJack posted:

I hadn't really seen this game played much before, but it really looks incredible. I think I may have to pick this up!

If you're at all interested, download the free version and give it a shot. There's even a Mac port now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Original objectively has better music, though.

In either case you'll probably end up turning the music off pretty quickly.

Also, the web gun was in the original, not that I was ever able to make good use of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jegan posted:

The Web Gun is pretty good, if you consider it a droppable Climbing Glove instead of a gun.

How do you go up with it :confused: I can never manage to jump out of the top of a web; jumping just slowly makes it degrade.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jegan posted:

You should be able to jump while in a web just fine. I put together a short video that may help you. http://www.twitch.tv/sajegan/c/3161343

Hm, I'm only playing the original. Maybe they changed the "web physics" in the remake. Even if I mash the jump button I basically just end up staying in place.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Do the shopkeepers really never let you go? In the original, they'd eventually (i.e. after a few levels) stop aggroing you on sight as long as you never actually killed a shopkeeper. You'd have to sneak past one or two of them guarding the exits, though.

A neat thing you could do is set a Mantrap loose in their shop, wait for it to eat the shopkeeper, steal his shotgun, flee (he'll burst free from the Mantrap a bit later), and have a shotgun for the rest of the game without pissing any shopkeepers off.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Jetpack + Shotgun + Kappala = getting 20+ hitpoints.

And then running into a slider trap in the temple again. Splort. Again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is there no mattock at the bottom of the snake pit in the remake? That was a pretty reliable way to get out in the original -- bring one bomb, crack open the bottom of the pit, and then dig your way out with the mattock.

Also, does the remake give you a damsel on every level? It really seemed to be, and that's a big change from the original, where it was more like 50%, and sometimes they'd be in kissing booths, which cost money :argh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

Tiki traps no longer have a timer if you stand on them that makes them blow up. I always felt like that was bullshit in the original, and I'm glad they removed it.

Wait, what? Tiki traps explode?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

I definitely remember Tiki traps exploding if you stood on top of them long enough, but I might be wrong, or it may be because I've been playing it since it's first release and that was a deprecated feature at some point.

I just started up the (original) game, took the Jungle shortcut, and sat on a Tiki trap for 30 seconds. If they explode, it takes an unreasonable amount of time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

One thing I don't think Psych has mentioned is that the explosive barrels can be pushed, and when they drop, they explode. Certainly opens up some possibilities, no?

That sounds to me like it opens up more opportunities for you to kill yourself, frankly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Highwang posted:

Doesn't a Worm entrance always appear in both Jungle and Ice Caves at one point? I figure you can do all your sacrificing before the Ice Caves worm entrance if you're worried about that, or do the worm ASAP at jungle in order to trivialize Mother-Brain.

Sacrificing in the Ice Caves is typically a lot more lucrative, since yetis are everywhere; the jungle just has the occasional caveman and mantrap (and IIRC the mantraps aren't worth much when sacrificed).

Assuming the numbers haven't changed too much, though, sacrificing two damsels will get you the Kappala and that's all you really need from Kali.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
In the original game, the Eyeglasses allow you to see items that are hidden in walls; the Hedjet Eye only shows you treasures. Considering that the items embedded in walls seem to be biased towards the more valuable types (shotguns, capes, jetpacks, etc.), being able to see them can be a big help.

Realistically though you're probably better off just going with the Hedjet Eye.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

That loving Sned posted:

Can you survive the Black Market with a bunch of pissed-off shopkeepers?

It's certainly possible in the original; I've done it and I'm not an amazing player. Albeit, I did eat a shotgun blast immediately after picking up the Ankh :v: If you can line up with a shopkeeper while they're offscreen, then you can fire the shotgun from a distance and hit them before they aggro. To be clear, they're still within range to be "active" (i.e. not in the frozen zone), but they haven't seen you and thus haven't started charging around.

In the remake, I'd guess you'd want copious use of bombs; shopkeepers have trouble dealing with threats located above them because their jumps are so random.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Skeleton Warrior: skulls and only skulls may be thrown.

You might as well just declare a Whips Only playthrough.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

You know, I been trying to do this for a while whenever the game spawns the sacrifice altar under the shop. No luck at it yet, but I do want to see Psych pull this off.

Do shopkeepers even remain stunned long enough for the sacrifice to go off? Seems like they only stay down for maybe a quarter-second before they're up and at 'em again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

This makes me curious, if you get stunned on top of an altar would it kill you?

This was linked a couple pages back.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why didn't you just use the Freeze Ray to freeze and stomp on Mr. Shopkeeps and then steal the cape afterwards?

I assume that the shopkeepers retain their ridiculously fast reflexes from the original. Taking basically any offensive action except for throwing something that isn't a bomb will result in the shopkeeper firing their shotgun one frame later. You can still shoot them with their own guns, but you have to be ready to dodge.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

So, random thought: Can you kidnap the kissing booth x-sel and take them to the exit? I imagine it would be hard as hell, but it might just work...

You can. If you pick her up the shopkeeper will try to sell her to you; if you walk out without paying then he treats it like any other shoplifting (i.e. instant shotgun).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment posted:

Psych, have you considered live commentary as a gimmick? Or are there just too many junk runs that never get posted for that to be worthwhile?

Judging from the video linked earlier in which he accidentally sacrificed himself to Kali, he does occasional streams, which is like live commentary.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I had a pretty good run going today -- all the artifacts, 99 bombs, a jetpack...then I went into a 2-tile-high hallway in the Temple with one of those slider traps and just skimmed the top of it while trying to dodge. Splat.

Also, lady, c'mon!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Instead of invoking the ghost, have a zombified hostile AI player with all of the player's gear. If you can beat them, you get (some of) their stuff.

I mean, one of the big things in the HD remake is the multiplayer and AI-controlled players, who always seem to do more harm than good. Might as well make them explicitly hostile!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Male Man posted:

In the original choosing the suicide option from the pause menu would trigger the Ankh without forcing you to drop your held object. Is that no longer the case in the remake?

I've also (in the original) just outright died while holding my item and spawned inside the statue with it intact. I'm not certain how I managed it since normally taking any damage causes you to drop things (and I didn't die by falling off the level either). Maybe I landed on some spikes? :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Khav posted:

Could you not just put the item down before dying, or would it disappear?

Once you're in the Moai statue, the only way out is to take the exit therein; you can't get out to pick up the item and then return.

I had a fun death today (in the classic game): bought the Ankh, then aggro'd the Black Market, ate some buckshot to the face, respawned at the entrance, and ate more buckshot, all within the space of about half a second (the Ankh respawn in the classic game is instant). "Whoops, I'm de-whoops I'm dead again. Whelp."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

That loving Sned posted:

I just wish the game wasn't so keen on making you grab on to ledges. As long as you're close to a ledge, your character will grab on to it, but there should be an option so this only happens if you press towards it.

This is how it works in the classic version. I can't imagine why they would change it for the HD remake :confused:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you crawl (hold down + left/right) off an overhang, you should flip to hanging from it; at that point you can hit down+jump to release your grip and go straight down (instead of the usual upwards hop you get from hitting jump while hanging). That will get you safely onto spikes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think he meant to be posting that in the Spelunky Games thread, not PsychedelicEyeball's LP thread? :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

asahdeaf posted:

Psych, is there any specific reason you never buy the climbing gloves?

He would have bought the gloves, but he needed more bombs.

Regarding spiders, I've noticed that the remake jumping spiders seem to be a lot less aggressive than the original ones. Original spiders are basically always in the air and will make huge, fast jumps; seems like the remake spiders pause for a bit after each jump and don't jump as far.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

I know that it's probably fruitless to suggest balance changes to what's already a really well balanced system, but the Hedjet only having one function is one thing I'd change (I'm not sure what other purpose to give it, but something minor would be nice).
Preventing the game from generating dark levels would be nice. I believe it's supposed to increase your sight radius, but that's not really the same thing.

I had a (classic) City of Gold run get stymied because I literally could not find the door to the entrance. I combed over one dark level, didn't see it, figured it'd be on the next level...nope. 60 bombs, plenty of health, no door. :argh:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Not ever having made it to the City of Gold before, I didn't know one way or the other. It may well, but I assumed it would be like the other Egyptian artifacts, i.e. placed anywhere within the block of 4 levels (well, 3 for the Temple). Obviously I was wrong at least in this case.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
More generally, any thrown weapon is superior to having to whip your opponents, but you can only carry one thing at a time. When all you have is a damsel, everything starts looking like a damsel target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

I rob the market every now and then (usually successfully), but I dislike dealing with pissed off shopkeepers in the temple.

If you rob the market, then you probably have dozens of bombs and can afford to just blast your way vertically through the temple. Screw actually exploring that place anyway.

• Locked thread