Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Of all the things that have become popular in American sports, the NFL Annual Player Selection Meeting, or what we call the NFL Draft, is one of the strangest. There is no competition or cheerleaders or really much in the way of excitement or entertainment, but for dorks like me and you, the draft is can’t miss TV. I’m still not entirely sure why this is, but I do love the draft and so do you. So, welcome to the 2014 NFL draft thread!

Here’s some answers to a few easy questions:

What is the schedule of draft-related things?
6 Jan: CFB season ends
~15 Jan: Deadline to declare for the draft
2 Feb: NFL season ends
19-25 Feb: NFL Scouting Combine
Late Feb: coin flips to finalize draft order (if necessary)
~15 Mar-~15 Apr: Pro Days (I think)
8-10 May: Draft (Note: this is later than most years)
July: Supplemental Draft

How is the draft order determined?
Aside from the obvious inverse standings and playoff success, strength of schedule, division tiebreakers, conference tiebreakers, and then coinflips are used (in that order) to determine the order.

Where is (player from my college) ranked?
Well, you can look at my incorrect rankings below or you can consult any one of a number of sites. Here are some:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft
ESPN’s coverage of the draft has gotten very good over the last few years. They have two pretty smart experts (Mel Kiper and Todd McShay) who post regular updates to their first round types, plus they have Scouts Incs scouting reports up on just about every draftable player. These are decent, but can get dated and are wrong sometimes. Most of this stuff requires “insider”, so if you want to read anything just ask me as I am an “insider”.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013
The NFL’s site is mediocre, but it is readable and they have lots of film clips which are nice. I think Mike Mayock is their top analyst, he’s one of the smarter commentators in football.

http://walterfootball.com/
Walterfootball is sometimes hilariously wrong, but they do spend a lot of time doing this and their lists/mocks are pretty comprehensive, though not always…correct. Worth reading as they update their stuff more regularly than most.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft
This is the former nfldraftscout.com, which has long been my favorite site. It isn’t exactly user friendly or modern or readable, but it is a great source for news on prospects and some pretty solid scouting. Rob Rang is their senior blogger and his stuff is not terrible, usually.

One big thing to remember is that these are all pretty amateurish efforts, to include my own. NFL teams are very secretive about their scouting, so often they develop some very different opinions about players. You’ll also find that as the draft season goes on that more and more really stupid opinions about things will start cropping up across the internet, ranging from racist to just plain wrong to offensively dumb. The links I’ve posted are generally speaking the less irritating ones, at least to me.

That said, take everything with a grain of salt, and even better, watch the players for yourself!

Mel Kiper told Al Davis to draft Jamarcus Russell and I’m still pissed about it. Why can’t these guys get it right?
Drafting/scouting is a very, very imprecise thing. There are so many variables that go into how a player looks on the field and in the combine; no one can really account for all of them. That said, over the last several years I think that scouting, both inside and outside the NFL, has gotten WAY better. It wasn’t that long ago that David Carr, Joey Harrington, Mike Williams (the fat one), and Ryan Sims were 4 of the top 6 picks in a draft.

Ok, I’m ready to cross the line into full-scale draft nerdism. How do I scout like an amateur?
It is really, really easy and adds a whole different dynamic to watching college football games. The way I do it is pretty simple: note who the NFL possibilities are in a game, pick a player to watch, and watch him and only him for at least a quarter or so. In my case, I have a laptop that I type little bullet point notes on each player as I’m watching, but you don’t have to go that far if you don’t want to. Experienced football fans know a lot more than they think they do about how a player looks while playing: you can tell how fast a guy is, how strong or quick he is, how technically savvy he is pretty easily.

Youtube is a great resource as well; other draft nerds make some really nice game clips of players that you can watch.

Where can I see transactions and whatnot that affect the draft?

Wiki, where else?. Seriously though, it is about as up to date as anything.

What do terms like “generational”, “elite”, etc mean exactly?
These are generally terms that draft guys use to describe players who are better than your “average” top 5 caliber pick. They aren’t standardized obviously, but this is how I use them. “Generational” means that a player is a once-a-decade kind of guy, or even something more. Recent examples are Calvin Johnson and Andrew Luck. “Elite” means that he’s a two or three a decade kind of guy at his position. Recent examples are Trent Richardson, Ndamukong Suh, Patrick Peterson, Mario Williams, or Joe Thomas. Right now I would say that Jadeveon Clowney is on the cusp of being a generational guy, and that Teddy Bridgewater can be considered "elite". That's it from this draft class.

All right, onto this year’s draft!

Outside of the quarterback, offensive tackle, and linebacker positions, this is looking like a relatively weak draft year to me. It looks like there are two (possibly three) top end guys, then a big mess in the rest of the top 15, then essentially 2nd round talents after that. It is a GREAT year to draft a quarterback or an offensive tackle, a TERRIBLE year to take a DL or CB (early on). There also doesn't really seem to be as much depth in this draft as years past, but that always seems to change a bit as the season goes on.

As of October 23, here's my top 10:

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Jadeveon Clowney
3. Marcus Mariota
4. Anthony Barr
5. Jake Matthews
6. Louis Nix III
7. Stephon Tuitt
8. CJ Mosely
9. Taylor Lewan
10. Marquise Lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Player Evaluations
These are my compiled notes on this year’s players. These are mine entirely, so if you want to you can use them wherever you want. Except where noted I’ve seen all of these players play at least once, a couple of times in most cases, many times in lots of cases. That said, this list isn’t really comprehensive yet; I only wrote things for guys who I’ m thinking have a shot at the 3rd round or higher at this point, plus a sentence or two for some other guys to watch at each position.

I really value the input that I get from the posters here as you all are a pretty smart and well-informed bunch. If you think I got something wrong or that I’ve overlooked a player that I should have included please say so. As we go along the season I’ll ask you guys to write out what you think your team needs are and some other drafting trends that your teams have.

You’ll note that this year I’ve included a “prospect comparison”. This is a guy from a previous draft who I think compares well to the guy I’m talking about. I actually spent quite a while on these, and I think it is a pretty useful illustrative tool. Note, I’m NOT saying that these guys’ pro careers will turn out like the former prospects named (ie, Brett Hundley is NOT the next Joey Harrington in that he will go to the Lions and suck), just that they have very similar traits and abilities as viewed before they set foot on an NFL field.

Quarterbacks
This quarterback class is looking like it could turn into an all-time great one. You’ve got a variety of styles, a lot of top-end talent and a lot of depth. I can see 4 to 5 winding up with 1st round grades, and at least that many going in the first. There’s still some volatility, especially at the top, but all in all this looks like it has a chance to be a historically deep group.

Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville, 1st
Adequate size and athleticism for the position. Pocket poise is extremely impressive. Generally excellent decision making; seems to make smart reads before and during the play. Arm strength is adequate but not exceptional; throwing motion is quick and efficient, accuracy on short and medium routes is excellent but deep balls can be erratic. Name is exceptional, reminds one of a member of parliament. Pocket mobility is just average, but feel for pressure and ability to step up and make throws is outstanding. High end QB prospect; good bet as the #1 overall pick and has a chance to be the #1 overall prospect. Prospect comparison: Sam Bradford

Marcus Mariota, Oregon, 1st
Lanky frame, upper-tier athleticism. Arm strength is above average, accuracy is about average and inconsistent all over the field. Outstanding pocket mobility, running ability, and ability to step up against the rush. Throwing motion is a little elongated but not too bad; should get better with good coaching. Runs read-option offense as well as it can be run in college football. Prospect comparison: Colin Kaepernick with a better throwing motion

Brett Hundley, UCLA, 1st-2nd
Very nice combination of size and speed. Big time arm strength with compact throwing motion, but is a bit of a sidearmer. Accuracy is very good all over the field, shows good touch on shorter throws. Sometimes has trouble with pressure and will make bad decisions from time to time. Speed/mobility are both very good, can create plays from nothing and can run with the ball effectively. Prospect comparison: Joey Harrington

Tajh Boyd, Clemson, 1st-2nd
Elite athlete but height is well below average. Outstanding elusiveness and mobility in pocket; capable open field runner as well. Big arm, throws well on the move. Accuracy can be exceptional but is inconsistent. Doesn’t read the play well and bails on the pocket too quickly; however, steps up well and isn’t bothered by pressure much. Some concerns about conditioning. Prospect comparison: Drew Brees

Johnny Manziel, A&M, 1st-2nd
High end athlete but is very undersized for the position. Ability to create and/or sustain plays is exceptional and almost unprecedented. Throwing motion is compact and efficient but footwork is offensively poor; leads to inconsistency in velocity and accuracy. Arm strength is average but velocity is inconsistent. Reads the play well and makes smart decisions but isn’t asked to do much pre-snap. Running ability is very good but size/speed may limit his ability to run in the NFL. Behavior in general will be a major point of discussion. Prospect comparison: some combination of Tebow, Vick, and Roethlisberger

AJ McCarron, Alabama, 2nd
Very experienced player, smart, protects football and runs offense very efficiently. Footwork and mechanics are generally consistent and very good. Arm strength is below average but accuracy is consistently very good. Lot of big-game experience. Decent athlete, good pocket mobility and awareness, can run with the ball when required. Low ceiling, but polished and low risk. Prospect comparison: Chad Pennington

Stephen Morris, Miami, 2nd-3rd
Slightly undersized but has a very good arm and above average speed. Quick and efficient throwing motion, good footwork lead to above average accuracy and good consistency. Doesn’t read the play particularly well and is prone to making errors. Reacts to pressure and doesn’t always hang in the pocket. Running ability is above average but may not translate to the NFL well. Prospect comparison: Kevin Kolb

Aaron Murray, Georgia, 3rd
Very undersized but has a big time arm. Throwing motion and footwork are generally excellent. Accuracy on deep and medium routes can be exceptional but is inconsistent; has lots of trouble with touch throws. Can scramble well but isn’t fast enough or strong enough to be a dual threat; also lacks strength to get out of arm tackles. Decision making can be poor, especially risk taking. Experienced against tough competition. Prospect comparison: Brodie Croyle

Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech, 3rd
Massive physical talent who has done nothing but get worse the last two years. Last preseason I had him penciled in as a 1st round possibility but at this point he may end up playing himself out of the draft entirely. Huge frame, good mobility, great strength. Good arm strength but mechanics and footwork are still very raw. Decision making is consistently an issue. Hasn’t improved since a great sophomore year; big questions about development. Prospect comparison: Josh Freeman

David Fales, San Jose State, 3rd
Outstanding production against limited competition; showed excellent accuracy and decision making. Arm is pretty impressive but isn’t high end; pocket mobility is good but isn’t a running threat. Very good poise in the pocket. Athleticism is limited but gets a lot out of what he has. Prospect comparison: Josh McCown

Derek Carr, Fresno State, 3rd
Productive small school guy; adequate height but is slender and will need to get bigger. Strong arm, but mechanics are inconsistent. Can be extremely accurate but mechanics lead to inconsistency. Seems very smart; reads plays well and makes good decisions at the line. Has a strong reputation as teammate and leader. Has to get bigger and stronger. Prospect comparison: Mike Kafka

Braxton Miller, Ohio State
Dual threat guy, elite athlete, huge arm, accuracy and decision making are terrible.

Zach Mettenberger, LSU
Huge giant, massive arm, not a smart man. Still, has been great this year, could end up being a riser.

Bryn Renner, North Carolina
Very good athlete, accurate, smart player, experienced. Arm strength is limited.

Running Backs
This class continues the recent trend of pretty serious dilution in talent at the position. Still, there are several strong options for most offensive schemes available; most RBs now are capable receivers and blockers, and there are several guys who enjoyed extremely productive college careers. I’m guessing at least one or two become regular starters, but we may not see one taken in the first.

De’Anthony Thomas, Oregon, 1st-2nd
Might be the fastest player in college football; will likely be one of the quickest and fastest players ever to enter the draft. Vision and agility are exceptional. Capable receiver and quality runner; can even run inside effectively. Big question is size; he’s very small for the position and will likely never be an every down back. Very appealing as a hybrid HB/WR in the mold of Sproles, McCluster, or Austin. Prospect comparison: Tavon Austin

Lache Seastrunk, Baylor, 2nd
Nice combination of size and speed; agility is excellent for his size. Very productive but tends to run outside and avoids the tough yards. Not much experience in the passing game but seems like a decent pass blocker. Name is very good but not elite. Prospect comparison: Ben Tate

Ka’Deem Carey, Arizona, 2nd
Crazy productivity, outstanding agility and vision. Acceleration through the hole is consistently excellent. Very capable receiver, good catching range and decent route runner. First name is notably excellent. Isn’t particularly big; will need to add bulk and won’t be a power runner. Significant off-field concerns. Prospect comparison: Clinton Portis

Bishop Sankey, Washington, 2nd-3rd
Another ridiculously productive back. Slightly undersized but can grind it out between the tackles or run outside with equal skill. Capable receiver out of the backfield as well. Want to see more bulk/strength to be an every down back; speed/agility isn’t top tier but is good enough. Elite name. Rising fast this season. Prospect comparison: Tatum Bell

Charles Sims, West Virginia, 3rd
Average all round back; shows good power and vision inside and reasonable speed/agility. Main strength is in the passing game; good hands, comfortable running after the catch but blocking needs work. Prospect comparison: Tashard Choice

Dri Archer, Kent State, 3rd
Tiny guy with outstanding agility and acceleration. Equally dangerous as receiver and runner. Lines up as WR regularly, is productive as a slot guy. Finds holes inside; no power but can slip through the line well. Was a huge part of his offense last year but has missed time this year. Prospect comparison: Dexter McCluster

Damian Williams, Oklahoma, 3rd
Middling athlete for the position but has a well rounded skill set. Good agility for his size and can run with some power inside. Production this year has been disappointing. Prospect comparison: Mike Goodson

Silas Redd, USC
Experienced, good athlete, mediocre football player

Carlos Hyde, OSU
Powerful and productive guy, limited speed and agility but could be a solid riser if season continues well. Some off field issues

Ladarius Perkins, Mississippi State
Capable and quick smaller back, having a rough season so far this year.

Wide Receivers
This WR is very different from the past few years. It is very top heavy (two elite prospects and then…), significantly smaller than past groups, and really lacking in diversity across schemes. Some guys might make offseason pushes but there isn’t a ton to look forward to in the later rounds like there has been in years previous.

Sammy Watkins, Syracuse, 1st
Elite speed, quickness, and acceleration. Has agility and footspeed to break away from defenders or win in a straight line. Tremendous body control and very good overall ball skills. Capable of working across the middle of the field as well. Route running is a bit raw; relies too much on athleticism. Capable returner and runner as well. Smaller than other recent elite WR prospects. Some off field concerns. Productivity this season vast improvement on last year. Prospect comparison: Lee Evans

Marqise Lee, USC, 1st
Incredibly productive player; virtually uncoverable at the college level. Route running is as good as you’ll see; quickness/agility combine very well with technical ability. Ball skills are generally excellent; soft hands, good catching range, good in the air but somewhat limited by size. Good but not elite top speed, acceleration is excellent. Productivity down this year, knee injury might be an issue. Prospect comparison: Torry Holt

Mike Evans, A&M, 1st-2nd
Biggest receiver in the draft, having a great year. Tremendous ball skills, great catching range, jumping, and strength to go up and get the ball. Hands can be great but is a bit inconsistent. Tremendous blocker. Not particularly agile or fast, doesn’t get consistent separation but is adept at protecting his hands and making contested catches. Prospect comparison: Mike Williams

Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt, 2nd
Good size/speed combination; not a speed threat but is fairly agile and has very good ball skills. Hands can be inconsistent but has great body control. Solid blocker downfield. Very good at finding openings in zone coverage. Prospect comparison: James Hardy

Brandon Coleman, Rutgers, 2nd-3rd
Big and strong WR, very good ball skills and catching range but inconsistent hands. Shows pretty good deep speed and is tough on 1 on 1 balls. Pretty solid route runner, good at finding holes in the zone but doesn’t have the elite quickness to reliably separate from good man coverage. Prospect comparison: Patrick Turner

Odell Beckham Jr, LSU, 3rd
Undersized and not terribly fast, but is very skilled at route running and does a good job of separating from man coverage on shorter routes. Hands are good, but lacks the size and strength to dominate defenders. Pretty solid slot guy, reliable, but a low ceiling. Extremely good year so far, very productive. Prospect comparison: Jordan Shipley

Donte Moncrief, Mississippi, 3rd
Very nice blend of size, speed, and agility. Excellent deep threat, can run past defenders and win 1 on 1 balls down the field. Capable route runner with good agility and good fundamentals. Nice catching range and very nice body control. Effort level can be inconsistent; hands can be excellent but will drop some easy passes. Prospect comparison: Leonard Hankerson

Devante Parker, Louisville, 3rd
Good combination of speed and agility, at his best on deep routes and running after the catch. Ball skills are only average; has great body control but drops balls regularly and isn’t great at beating defenders to 50/50 balls. Very good with the ball in his hands, very tough to stop on deep routes. Not a great route runner despite agility. Prospect comparison: Damian Williams

Kasen Williams, Washington, 3rd
Decent size, really outstanding in the air, good hands and good catching range. Route running and separation ability are mediocre, seems to usually be contested on the catch but has good hands/strength to shield defenders. Pretty solid deep threat, straight line speed is good. Some off field concerns. Prospect comparison: Mohamed Sanu

Robert Herron, Wyoming
Very productive little guy

Mike Davis, Texas
Inconsistent deep threat, asswipe

Malcolm Mitchell, Georgia
Solid receiver and returner, good runner, limited athletically with some injury issues

Jerry Rice Jr, UNLV
Surely he is good

Tight Ends
ASJ and Ebron are both high end prospects that could easily go in the first, but after that this isn’t a particularly deep or talented class. We’re seeing TEs get bigger and faster though, and the expected move towards more receiving at the expense of blocking hasn’t really happened.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington, 1st
Huge frame coupled with elite athleticism and well rounded TE skill set. Really exceptional ball skills, tremendous hands and catching range, very adept at shielding the ball from defenders. Separation skills are also very good, can make quick cuts to lose defenders and is fantastic at finding openings in zone coverage. Elite blocker, very powerful, size and strength are not far behind typical OL. Off field concerns and inconsistent effort are only major questions. Prospect comparison: Heath Miller

Eric Ebron, North Carolina, 1st-2nd
Extremely productive, very capable receiver. Excellent overall hands and catching range, very good vertically. Speed and agility are above average but separation skills need work. Good speed on downfield routes, capable runner with the ball. Isn’t big enough to be a dominant blocker but is capable technically and is very good in space. Prospect comparison: Ben Watson

Colt Lyerla, Oregon, 2nd-3rd
Elite athlete, good frame size, not very productive during college. Very good speed, capable runner (runs out of the backfield as well). Not particularly polished as a receiver or blocker, but upside is tremendous. Prospect comparison: Lance Kendricks

Jame Amaro, Texas Tech, 3rd
Big, fast, productive guy. Highly recruited, very good hands, very good change of direction and separation ability. Very good after the catch. Not used much as a blocker, fairly one dimensional but size and athleticism suggest that upside could be there. Prospect comparison: Chase Coffman

CJ Fiedorowicz, Iowa, 3rd
Huge guy, more blocker than receiver. Capable of making contested catches, but speed/agility won’t make him much of a downfield threat. Size and strength are good as is blocking technique, capable in-line blocker. Prospect comparison: Brad Cottam

Offensive Tackles
Elite group of OTs, comparable to last year in talent and depth. There’s a fit for every scheme and every need here. I wouldn’t put the top end at the level of last year, but the overall talent is outstanding. There are also some serious physical freaks in the mix, guys who could seriously change the way OTs look in the NFL if they have some success.

Jake Matthews, A&M, 1st
Adequate size and good strength for the position. Athleticism in general is a touch below elite but footwork and agility are fantastic. Very strong, great punch and great hands in pass protection. Quick enough to get to the second level as a run blocker; isn’t a road grader but hits hard and can move his man out side to side very well. Very heady player, very nasty. Isn’t quite at the athletic level of a Thomas or Fisher, but has the potential to be a top shelf LT in the NFL. Prospect comparison: Jake Long

Cyrus Koundjio, Alabama, 1st
One of the best run blocking OTs I’ve ever seen. Strength, speed and agility are the best in the draft; moves incredibly well for his size, very light on his feet. Technique in pass blocking is still pretty raw, very powerful but doesn’t always use his hands as well as he could. Incredibly nasty player, especially in run blocking, actively seeks out people to hit even if he doesn’t need to. Prototypical run blocking OT with some upside to be an elite pass blocker as well. Prospect comparison: Branden Albert

Taylor Lewan, Michigan, 1st
Long and lean frame, very strong already but has the space to get even bigger. Athleticism and footwork are above average, but hands and strength are excellent. Technique is a bit raw. Can get beat underneath by speed rushers outside, might be a little too tall. Tremendous run blocker, can lock up a guy to hold the edge as well as anyone. Ability to get downfield is good but not great. Also a nasty player, sometimes too much so. Looks like a RT starter with LT potential. Prospect comparison: Nate Solder

Antonio Richardson, Tennessee, 1st
Notably big. Extremely long frame, carries a ton of muscle and is enormously strong. Footwork and technique are average, but athleticism is very good, room for improvement. Outstanding run blocker, almost always wins one on one battles and is particularly good at setting the edge. Best in-line blocker in the draft, but doesn’t get to the second level particularly well. Prospect comparison: Jeff Otah

David Yankey, Stanford, 1st-2nd
Good sized run blocker, has played both OT and OG in college and did very well at each. Particularly good at lead blocking; has the feet and athleticism to get out in front of runners and is a very good technical blocker in space. Moved inside to guard for his senior season, as OLG does a TON of pulling. Pass protection seems decent; feet are good, but doesn’t have a ton of experience holding the edge against elite pass rushers. Face kind of makes you want to give him a hug. Prospect comparison: James Carpenter

Cameron Erving, Florida State, 1st-2nd
Elite athlete who has had some serious injury issues. Very good technically despite lack of experience. Big time speed and agility for his size, elite blocker in the open field, very capable edge blocker as well. Lack of experience and injury history are a problem but potential is immense. Prospect comparison: Roger Saffold

Zach Martin, Notre Dame, 2nd
Heady, experienced, very good technically and very quick. Slightly undersized for OT in the NFL. Very smart player in both run and pass blocking. Great feet in pass protection but can get overwhelmed by long or strong pass rushers. Good interior blocker. May project as a guard or OC in the NFL. Prospect comparison: Barrett Jones

Cyril Richardson, Baylor, 2nd
Another elite run blocker, may end up at guard in the NFL but I think he’ll get a look at tackle to start. Strength and in-line blocking are elite, has excellent quickness as well. Doesn’t have the footwork or the technical ability to play as a LT, but RT is a possibility, especially in a run-heavy offense. Still has some room to improve, good athleticism as well. Tremendous season so far. Prospect comparison: Cordy Glenn

James Hurst, North Carolina, 2nd
Long, slender pass protector. Very good footwork and technique in pass protection. Strength is only average, doesn’t set the point particularly well but can move well and get out in front of running backs. Looks like a solid developmental LT prospect for a zone scheme. Prospect comparison: Joe Staley

Seantrel Henderson, Miami, 2nd-3rd
Massive human being, very talented, but has had big injury problems and off-field issues. Work in pass blocking is generally solid; great strength, good lateral mobility, but footwork is below average and inconsistent. Run blocking can be dominant but technique is very poor. Has been very inconsistent this season but could have a huge combine. Prospect comparison: Jared Gaither

Jack Mewhort, Ohio State, 3rd
Experienced and versatile; limited athletically but decent technically. Strength is only average but technique helps to compensate. Has played all along the line, may look to move as an in-line guard in the NFL. Some minor off-field issues. Prospect comparison: John Moffitt

Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt
Great athlete, undersized

Morgan Moses, Virginia
Huge, strong, slow

Ja’Wuan James, Tennessee
Experienced, low ceiling RT prospect

Offensive Guards/Centers
After a couple of years that featured all-world interior prospects, we have an extremely underwhelming class. Some of the OTs may get drafted relatively early and moved inside, otherwise it’d be a bit of a surprise if any OGs go before the second. The center class is the weakest I can remember.

Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State, 2nd-3rd
Ideal build for a guard, very strong, very good agility, looks good in zone blocking roles. Solid but unspectacular in pass protection, has some trouble picking up fast blitzing linebackers. Isn’t a real road-grader, doesn’t play mean enough. Looks like a decent prospect for a zone-blocking scheme but upside is limited. Prospect comparison: Clint Boling

Chris Watt, Notre Dame, 3rd
May be slightly undersized, not a dominant blocker but very heady and moves very well north-south. Isn’t a dominant in-line blocker but plays smart and moves very well to the second level. May have issues with physique and limited athleticism but is a smart player. Prospect comparison: Rodney Hudson

Spencer Long, Nebraska, 3rd
Good size, excellent all around run blocker. Lead blocker for most running plays, generally excellent technique and great power inside. Doesn’t have the mobility or athleticism to move much or get to the second level, but can pull and find defenders very well. Very smart, good awareness. Good choice for a power run scheme. Prospect comparison: Kelechi Osemele

Travis Swanson, Arkansas, 3rd
Good size/speed combination, good general awareness, very good blitz pickup. Athleticism and strength are limited; has a lot of trouble with big, strong interior rushers. Isn’t a dominant run blocker but uses good technique and can open holes. Decent fit for a pass-heavy offense; good quarterback on the line. Prospect comparison: Ben Jones

Bryan Stork, FSU, 3rd
Excellent overall run blocker, good size and speed combination. Probably has the feet to play in a zone scheme. Experienced across the interior, could play either guard position as well as center. Limited upside. Prospect comparison: Antoine Caldwell

Dakota Dozier, Furman
Need I say more

Chief Kekuewa, Bowling Green
CHIEF

F.N. Lutz, Indiana State
Almost certainly owns an advertising firm and/or law practice

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 24, 2013

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Defensive End
Clowney is a thing, but after that this class is a bit underwhelming compared to years passed. Not a lot of elite pass rushers but plenty of 3-4 and RDE guys, I think this is a product of CFB’s trending towards 3-4 defenses more and more. Good year to take a role playing guy in the middle rounds.

Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina, 1st
Generational talent as an edge defender. No real holes in his game; quickness, explosiveness, and technique in pass rush are as good as we’ve ever seen in CFB. Natural run defender; can anchor against offensive lineman and can shed blocks like a quality middle linebacker. Range and tackling ability are elite even by MLB standards. Athleticism and size make him a fit in nearly any role in any front 7 scheme; best use will likely be as an edge rusher on the right end. Questions have arisen about his conditioning and a possible serious long-term foot issue, will both be things to watch. Prospect comparison: Julius Peppers

Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame, 1st
Best looking 3-4 defensive end we’ve seen in a while. Massive frame, already huge, room to get bigger. Speed and agility are very good for his size. Elite run defender, particularly in 2-gap role; can take on double teams and win. Tremendous motor. Above average pass rusher, relies mainly on strength and good hand technique to beat defenders inside. Best fit is as a 3-4 DE, but could work as a 2-gapper in a 4-3 as well. Prospect comparison: Muhammad Wilkerson

Dominique Easley, Florida, 1st
Compact guy, elite run defender, high motor pass rusher. Very good hands and good strength but quickness isn’t top end. Good anchor against the run, tough to move, very good at shedding blockers but misses too many tackles. Has played all along the defensive front and might end up looking best as a 1 gap DT instead of a DE. Prospect comparison: Adrian Clayborn

Trent Murphy, Stanford, 1st-2nd
Giant frame, productive, experienced, and versatile. Has lined up in every spot in a 3-4 defense, think we’ve landed on him as a LDE. Can be dominant physically, very strong, fast, and quick. Awareness seems to be below average, tends to just go straight for the quarterback. Tremendous physical specimen, should test well. Prospect comparison: Mathias Kiwanuka

Aaron Lynch, South Florida, 1st-2nd
Really outstanding talent, missed a year after transferring. Good frame size, very nice quickness off the snap and very good range against the run. Holds the edge very well and sheds blockers effectively. Pass rush is mainly speed. Very versatile. Some attitude questions. May fit best as a LDE in a 4-3 but can probably play as an OLB as well. Prospect comparison: Tamba Hali

Scott Crichton, Oregon State, 2nd
Slightly undersized for most DE roles, but very strong and very hard working. Very quick and very powerful, can mix up pass rush moves well and can beat lineman to the edge effectively. Shows good hands, very good tackler, but range is just average. Can anchor well against double teams. Looks like a 4-3 LDE or a 3-4 SLB to me, probably too small to be a 3-4 DE. Prospect comparison: Lamarr Woodley

Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas, 2nd
One dimensional pass rusher, great quickness and speed around the edge. Lacks size and strength to anchor against the run but has pretty good range. Tremendous edge rushing presence but isn’t as disruptive as he should be. Has had some significant injury issues. Looks like a pure 3-4 rush OLB or situational 4-3 pass rusher. Prospect comparison: Bruce Irvin

Ed Stinson, Alabama, 2nd-3rd
Big tough run defender. High motor guy, takes on double teams well and can anchor against any blocking scheme. Very good hands. Range is pretty limited, not a pass rusher at all. Experience playing all positions in a 3-4 DL. Best fit is as a 3-4 DE. Prospect comparison: Jerel Worthy

Kareem Martin, North Carolina, 2nd-3rd
Huge, very nice combination of size and quickness. Very tough run defender, gets off blocks well and is a disruptive guy. Pass rush is only average, good first step but doesn’t have much speed to the outside. Pretty much a pure 4-3 LDE type. Prospect comparison: Frank Alexander

Taylor Hart, Oregon, 3rd
Experienced, hard working 3-4 prospect. Good size for the position, good frame, will probably get bigger. Tough run defender, can play two gaps and has decent range for his size. Pass rush is limited to bull rush, but has good hands. 3-4 DE or LDE prospect, may even look to move inside in a 4-3. Prospect comparison: Sam Montgomery

Kony Ealy, Missouri, 3rd
Very good athlete for the position, good all around player. Good quickness and good range in run defense. General awareness and football smarts are below average. Technique isn’t great in all respects, relies too much on athleticism. Has played all along the defensive line and can fit in most schemes in a variety of roles. Prospect comparison: Justin Tuck

Morgan Breslin, USC, 3rd
Extremely productive edge rusher. Quickness and speed on the pass rush are both elite. Big question is his size; frame is probably maxed out, is undersized for a down lineman position and probably not athletic enough to start as a 3-4 OLB. Looks like a situational edge rusher with some upside. Prospect comparison: Dontay Moch

Chaz Sutton, South Carolina, 3rd
Slightly undersized guy, the “other” guy. Isn’t a tremendous pass rusher but is a good athlete and a hard worker. Good run defender, sheds blocks and pursues well but isn’t an anchor kind of guy. Looks best a 4-3 LDE but will have to get a bit bigger to hold the edge in the NFL. Prospect comparison: Bruce Davis

Jeoffrey Pagan, Alabama
See Stinson, Ed

James Gayle, Virginia Tech
Another undersized run defender

Owamagbe Odighizuwa
What

Chris Smith, Arkansas
Very productive pass rusher, having a nice season so far

Ben Gardner, Stanford
Huge 3-4 guy

Defensive Tackles
Fairly deep and versatile class. Lots of options; even a handful of legit NT prospects to go along with more traditional one-gap guys. Very athletic group as a whole, smaller than in past years, again, I think due to the trending of CFB towards passing and pass rushing.

Louis Nix III, Notre Dame, 1st
Best two gap interior lineman we’ve seen in quite a while. Outstanding combination of size, strength, and quickness. Best interior run defender in college football, can anchor or disrupt equally well. Impossible to move out of the middle. Is a decent interior pass rusher as well, can penetrate gaps or push in the pocket. Great motor but endurance is only average. Top quality NT prospect. Prospect comparison: Vince Wilfork

Anthony Johnson, LSU, 1st-2nd
Great size/speed combination. Extremely quick off the line. Very strong in run support, more of a disruptor than an anchor. Pass rush technique is raw but potential is high. Great motor but doesn’t play a high percentage of snaps. Looks like a 4-3 single gap guy or possibly a 3-4 DE. Prospect comparison: Fletcher Cox

Timmy Jernigan, Florida State, 1st-2nd
Slightly undersized for the 2 gap role but looks great as a single gapper. Very disruptive against the run and the pass. Tremendous strength and range for the position in run defense. Pass rush is very raw but strength and speed indicate he could get a lot better. Incredible motor. Ideal 4-3 single gapper. Prospect comparison: Sheldon Richardson

Will Sutton, Arizona State, 1st-2nd
Undersized interior lineman, absolutely tremendous speed and quickness. Better pass rusher than run defender, can’t anchor well versus double teams but can beat interior linemen with speed consistently. Great motor, relentless pass rusher. Some off-field concerns. Prospect comparison: Ziggy Hood

Ra’shede Hageman, Minnesota, 1st-2nd
Huge frame, well rounded. Fantastic athlete, good combination of strength and size. Very good hands, especially in pass rush. Speed to ball carrier is very good. Motor/effort can be inconsistent, some off field concerns. Prospect comparison: Michael Brockers

Dan McCullers, Tennessee, 2nd
Biggest player in college football, will likely be one of if not the biggest NFL draftees ever. Book is as you’d expect, extremely difficult to move, great bull rush, minimal range, mediocre quickness, endurance and fitness issues. Athleticism at his size is his greatest asset, potential is there. Prospect comparison: John Jenkins

Ego Ferguson, LSU, 2nd
Tough interior run defender. Very good in two gap role, can locate ballcarrier through blocks and get free to make play. Doesn’t have the best quickness but is good at shedding blocks. High effort guy most plays but isn’t nasty enough inside. Top quality name. Nice frame for the interior of the line. Prospect comparison: Bennie Logan

Aaron Donald, Pitt, 2nd-3rd
Grossly undersized, but plays big, great athlete and all around defender. Quickness is outstanding and is strong enough to survive the interior. Doesn’t anchor well at all but can get off blocks and control a gap fairly well. High end interior pass rusher, very disruptive inside, good range and mobility. Extremely high motor. Not sure where he fits in size-wise to an NFL defense, maybe as a 4-3 UT, maybe as a 3-4 one-gap DE, maybe as a situational DT. Prospect comparison: Mike Daniels

Deandre Coleman, Cal, 3rd
Big man, one way run defender. Very strong with very good hands. Pass rush ability is minimal but can push people around sometimes. Tough and experienced, good motor but seems to wear out quickly. Looks like a single gap run stopper in a 4-3. Prospect comparison: Paul Solali

Daquan Jones, Penn State, 3rd
Big guy, solid all around player but doesn’t excel at anything. Doesn’t anchor well against the run but can be disruptive. Solid interior pass rusher but won’t push anyone around despite his size. Frame suggests he can get bigger and stronger, some potential to improve. Looks like a 4-3 UT to me. Prospect comparison: Quinn Pitcock

Beau Allen, Wisconsin
Large slow man

Caraun Reid, Princeton
Very talented interior pass rusher

George Uko, USC
Underclassman having a great year, could be a riser

Mister Cobble, Kentucky
Probably won’t get drafted but all time great name

Outside Linebacker
Very solid group, but rather light on the 3-4 “tweeners” that have traditionally dominated the high end of the draft in past years. Great year to draft a linebacker for a 4-3 defense.

Anthony Barr, UCLA, 1st
Elite 4-3 OLB prospect. Speed, quickness, and range are elite. Good tackler, very strong, hits hard, but can be inconsistent. Extremely rare combination of pass rush ability and pass coverage ability; can match up well with TEs or RBs in coverage and can take on OTs on the rush. Very new to OLB position, only one year playing there. Will slide in as a first day starter for most 4-3 or 3-4 teams. Prospect comparison: Derrick Johnson

CJ Mosley, Alabama, 1st
Versatile, very talented, very productive. Speed is outstanding for the position, outstanding range. Reliable but not nasty tackler. Best coverage LB in the draft, outstanding read in zone coverage, very capable in man. Solid pass rusher as well. Some pretty serious injury issues. Will look best as a WLB in a 4-3 or as an WILB in a 3-4. Prospect comparison: Sean Weatherspoon

Khalil Mack, Buffalo, 1st-2nd
Buffalo? Hmm. Elite combination of size and speed. Elite athlete for the position. Well rounded player; can take on blockers, get sideline to sideline, and pass cover with equal ability. Has played every position in the front 7. Allegedly has some “personality issues”, whatever. Big concern is competition quality. Looks like a 4-3 WLB. Prospect comparison: Thomas Howard

Kyle Van Noy, BYU, 1st-2nd
Extremely productive player, consistently makes big plays. Reads the play very well in both run and pass defense. Doesn’t have elite speed or range but takes smart angles. Capable pass rusher, decent but not elite cover guy. Some off field concerns and injury concerns. Prospect comparison: Paul Posluszny

Ryan Shazier, OSU, 1st-2nd
Slightly undersized, elite run defender and very good in pass coverage. Range is elite but has a tough time shedding blocks. Size can be an issue in tackling but is fundamentally sound. Very good in both man and zone coverage, not much of a pass rusher though. Looks like an ideal WLB or WILB. Prospect comparison: Lavonte David

Christian Jones, FSU, 2nd-3rd
Versatile, hard working guy, somewhat limited in his reading the game. Has decent range against the run, good at shedding blocks. Adequate speed in coverage but doesn’t read routes well at all and can get lost. Very versatile, plays all along the front 7 and does well in a variety of roles. Will likely be an 4-3 SLB or maybe a SILB. Prospect comparison: Martez Wilson

Adrian Hubbard, Alabama, 3rd
Gigantic OLB prospect, very nice size/speed combination but is somewhat limited athletically. Doesn’t read the play particularly well, does best when in simple scheme where he can hold an edge or take on a blocker. Versatile in pass rush, is a useful edge rusher and can take on OTs if required. Coverage ability is below average. Size and strength will be appealing. Looks like a pure SLB. Prospect comparison: Shawn Crable

Lamin Barrow, LSU
Undersized speedy guy

Trent Murphy, Stanford:
Big slow giant guy who hits hard

Dion Bailey, USC
Grossly undersized but elite speed, may be interesting as a LB/S hybrid on passing downs

Ishaq Williams, Notre Dame
BIG

Andrew Wilson, Mizzou
Generic really productive guy

Middle Linebacker
Continues the trend of mediocre MLB groups; some of the OLBs listed above could be a fit as ILBs depending on scheme.

AJ Johnson, Tennesee, 1st-2nd
Very talented 3-down defender. Good takeon skills and very good tackler. Big hitter. Very capable in coverage, particularly in man with TEs. Gets by more with smarts and hard work than athletic ability, upside might be limited in the NFL. 4-3 MLB or a thumper Prospect comparison: Curtis Lofton

Yawin Smallwood, Conn, 2nd-3rd
Big guy, very productive. Limited athletically, pretty average in most respects but is versatile and hard working. Range against run is good; doesn’t take on blockers well but is a solid tackler. Best in zone coverage. Probably projects best as a SILB or a 2 down MLB. Prospect comparison: Nico Johnson

Max Bullough, Michigan State,2nd- 3rd
Big, strong, very productive run stopper. Plays extremely smart, reads plays very well. Shows great range against the run. Decent range in pass coverage, particularly good in zone coverage. Very limited in man coverage though. Tackling is violent but inconsistent, has trouble against quick guys in space. Potential cover-2 MLB. Prospect comparison: Courtney Upshaw

Trey DePriest, Alabama, 3rd
Great tackler, solid run defender, very limited in pass coverage. Pure inside thumper. Take on skills are good, works hard against guards and lead blockers inside. Athleticism and speed are limited. Great fit as a SILB in a 4-3. Prospect comparison: Nico Johnson, again

Shayne Skov, Stanford, 3rd
Pure thumper, very productive player in the middle of the field. Outstanding tackler. Range is decent but not elite, particularly good at taking on blockers in space. Coverage ability is below average, lacks the footspeed and quickness to stay reliably man on man but is smart in zone coverage. Looks like a SILB to me, probably not mobile enough to play as a full time MLB. Prospect comparison: James Anderson

Andrew Jackson, Western Kentucky
Wins duels, relocates natives

Steele Devitto, BC
How can you not draft Steele Divitto

Preston Brown. Louisville
Seriously looks like Levon Kirkland

Cornerback
The last several cornerback classes have been pretty exceptional both at the top end and in depth; this group is relatively underwhelming. The group as a whole is quite a bit smaller than recent years, and there isn’t a clear elite prospect as there has been in all recent drafts. Still, there are certainly some potential first-day starters here and there is a lot of potential.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon, 1st-2nd
Slightly below ideal size, not tremendously fast, but ball skills and coverage ability are elite. Very good athlete, very quick feet but can have trouble sticking with fast receivers on go routes. Enthusiastic run defender but size holds him back. Smart player, hard working. Looks best as a man coverage guy in a scheme that will reliably give him safety help. Prospect comparison: Janoris Jenkins

Loucheiz Purifoy, Florida, 1st-2nd
Elite size/speed combination for the position. Really fantastic all around athletic ability. Has the quick feet to stick with any receiver in man coverage. Size and strength are excellent for the position, can be a monster when lining up in press coverage. Ball skills are relatively poor; hands are straight up bad and has a tough time with 50/50 balls against bigger receivers. Best pure cover corner in the draft. Prospect comparison: Aqib Talib but with worse hands

Marcus Robertson, Florida, 1st-2nd
Average size and above average speed for the position. Feet are extremely quick; very good reading the play, moves to the ball exceptionally well. At his best in zone defense; solid ball skills, good jumper, good hands in 50/50 balls. Decent in run support. Injury history might be a concern. Looks best as a corner for a zone-heavy scheme. Prospect comparison: Marcus Gilchrist

Jason Verrett, TCU, 2nd
Undersized for the position, not exceptionally fast or quick but plays a very smart game. Can stick with anyone in man coverage but will have a tough time challenging bigger receivers. Very good break on the ball, reads the play very well and can close quickly enough to beat the ball to the receiver. Very productive player; tries hard in run defense but is too small to be dominant. May wind up as a slot corner but man cover skills will get him a look on the outside. Prospect comparison: Brandon Flowers

Bradley Roby, Ohio State, 2nd
Likely the fastest corner in the draft, has adequate size for the position, very quick feet and fluid hips. Reads plays well and gets great breaks on the ball. Struggles a bit on 50/50 balls. Very heady in zone coverage, makes smart reads. Very good tackler but doesn’t deal well with blocking. Good all around corner, will fit most schemes. Some off field concerns. Prospect comparison: Chris Houston

Aaron Colvin, Oklahoma, 2nd-3rd
Good size but will need to get stronger for the NFL. Best feature is ball skills, very good at batting away balls and contesting catches. Comfortable taking on larger and stronger receivers. Very good run defender, tackles well and can shed WR blocks effectively. Speed and agility are just average; has trouble staying with fast WRs in single coverage. Tends to look into the backfield too often. Some injury issues. Pure cover 2 guy. Prospect comparison: Blidi Wreh-Wilson

Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech, 3rd
Adequate size for the position; speed is decent. Shows very good play recognition and is at his best in zone coverage; lacks the speed and quickenss to be a reliable man cover guy. Best run defending CB in the class; reliable, enthusiastic tackler, good range and good mobility against the run. Doesn’t look like he’ll project as a reliable man cover guy on the outside, slot guy for now. Prospect comparison: Javier Arenas

Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State, 3rd
Adequate size but will have to bulk up a bit for the NFL. Play recognition is consistently outstanding, plays very smart and gets very early breaks on the ball. Coverage skills are very good, equally adept in press coverage or off the line. Very good agility and overall quickness. Very good ball skills for his size. Big question mark is injury history. Could wind up being a reliable man cover guy. Prospect comparison: Curtis Brown

Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State, 3rd
Big, experienced, versatile corner. Has lined up against elite QBs and WRs his entire career and done pretty well. Consistently good in man coverage, is often left alone on a WR and is comfortable in this role. Ball skills are very good, maybe the best in the class. Tries hard in run support but isn’t a great tackler. Big concern is his relative lack of speed/athleticism, suggests his ceiling may be relatively low. Prospect comparison: Chris Culliver

Damian Swann, Georgia, 3rd
Slightly undersized, not super fast, but plays smart and hard. At his best in zone coverage, reads breaks extremely well and gets a good jump on the ball. Man coverage skills are above average but ball skills are relatively weak, has a tough time with 50/50 balls. Tries hard in run support but is undersized. Looks like a good slot corner. Prospect comparison: Ladarius Webb

Antone Exum, Virginia Tech
Hybrid S/CB, big guy, good tackler

EJ Gaines, Mizzou
Talented all around guy, undersized

Bennett Jackson, Notre Dame
Big, talented guy, not great in man coverage

Carrington Byndom, Texas
Good size, experienced, productive, probably too slow to start in the NFL

Safety
Another underwhelming group, may not see anyone go in the first unless someone really impresses. Better overall coverage group than years past though.

Haha Clinton-Dix, Alabama, 1st-2nd
Ballhawk safety. Play recognition is consistently elite, can read the quarterback and get breaks on the ball very well. Good ball skills, very good range in the middle of the field. Man coverage skills are above average, can keep up with most RBs/TEs and can challenge many WRs in the open field. Not a huge hitter but tackles well and takes smart angles in run support. Pure FS prospect for a team that wants a center-fielder. Some off field issues this year. Prospect comparison: Ed Reed

Lamarcus Joyner, Florida State, 2nd-3rd
Undersized SS prospect. Has been playing as a corner this year, doesn’t look great in man coverage, too slow and small. Like him more at safety, he moves very well and reads plays, very strong in run support. Big hitter, reliable tackler despite his size. Works very hard, knows defense well and makes good decisions. Size is a big limiting factor, may wind up as a slot corner but I think he’ll get a look at SS. Prospect comparison: Bob Sanders

Ty Zimmerman, KSU, 3rd
Big, fast, productive guy. Relies more on recognition skills than speed/athleticism. Doesn’t have quick feet, has a tough time against quicker receivers and TEs. Works hard in run support but tends to get wiped out by blocks. Looks like a zone SS type. Prospect comparison: Brandon Taylor

Ed Reynolds, Stanford, 3rd
Extremely big and extremely productive player. Nice overall skill set and nice nose for the ball. Relatively limited athletically, won’t be a reliable man cover guy in the NFL but can lay a big hit and make big plays from time to time. Strong in run support, good tackler. Prospect comparison: Bernard Pollard

Dez Southward, Wisconsin
Big run thumper

CJ Barnett, Ohio State
Mediocre in all respects

CB Bryant, Ohio State
Teeny

Boo-Boo Gates
The world needs this man

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why is there no Allen Robinson for the WR category? t:mad:

Do you think he'll stay for his senior season?

e: This thread owns btw. Thanks Bewbies

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 24, 2013

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Thanks for this, Bewbies. This thread rocks.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Andrew Furney, Kicker, Washington State :colbert:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

DOOP posted:

Why is there no Allen Robinson for the WR category? t:mad:

Do you think he'll stay for his senior season?

Most draft folk think that he will, I don't really know why though. I'd put him as a fringe 1st rounder at this point if he continues to tear things up as he has so far this year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
These threads are awesome, bewbies. Thanks for the work.

It feels like some people are down on ASJ this year to his low stats, but I think that can be pinned on a coaching staff that doesn't seem to know how to use him. He'll shoot right back into 1st-round territory after offseason workouts.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Not that much of a draft/scouting nerd but I'm surprised to see Mariota as the #2 QB, visually his mechanics look pretty ugly/stiff to me. I guess someone is going to need to draft a QB early though and I root for every athletic QB to do well in the NFL, gently caress pocket passers

Also there is no way that many QBs go in the first three rounds

joe football fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 24, 2013

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
I feel like Jason Verrett may need to put on some size if he wants to stick around in the NFL. Some of the stronger receivers will just bully him around on the field.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
I'm a huge homer, but I think Donte Rumph (DT) and Avery Williamson (MLB) both have a chance at being drafted out of Kentucky.

Williamson in particular is a ridiculously productive player, one of the tops in the SEC in '12 and so far in '13 in tackles.

Kevin Mitchell (OG) may get a look as well. He has great height and length, with the frame to hold more weight. Has graded out very well this season.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

joe football posted:

Not that much of a draft/scouting nerd but I'm surprised to see Mariota as the #2 QB, visually his mechanics look pretty ugly/stiff to me. I guess someone is going to need to draft a QB early though and I root for every athletic QB to do well in the NFL, gently caress pocket passers

I dunno, he's gonna have problems with drops but everyone out of the gun only systems does, but other than that he's pretty fluid and athletic throwing the ball, and his instincts appear very strong for a player at his experience level (though he's running a fairly simplistic offense).

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thanks bewbies. I've been eagerly anticipating this thread

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Intruder posted:

Thanks bewbies. I've been eagerly anticipating this thread

Spoilers: The Texans will draft Johnny Football

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have to disagree about Easly not being quick. I watched him all this year and he either knew the snap count perfectly every time, or got off the line faster than anyone. There was probably 3 or 4 times a game where I thought he was going to be offsides, only to just be the first one off the line. Also, he plays inside a lot, so he may end up translating to a 3-4 DE rather than a pure pass rusher. However, he tore his ACL, so his stock is going to drop to day 2 or 3, whereas if he was healthy I would easily slot him into round 1.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Spoilers: The Texans will draft Johnny Football

And it will be my Mel Mudkiper moment

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Thank you Bewbies. I'm super stoked.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I love these every year, thanks Bewbies.

I heard some color guy going off on James Franklin last week (yes the week that he didn't play) about how he was going to be playing on Sundays. Do you see any chance of this/understand where he was coming from? Because I do not, even though I really like the guy.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

It's pretty lame that there are no elite CBs, that means needy teams will probably reach on the true late first-rounders before the Bengals get to pick one up.

Since the Bengals will never ever spend a high pick on a safety for whatever stupid reason this is pretty much going to be a straight BPA draft which will own

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Maybe this is the year Mayhew finally uses a 1st-round pick on the secondary? Nah.

If the OLB group looks good though I wouldn't mind Detroit picking one of them up, I know they had to promote a special teams guy to fill one of the outside spots this year.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Nevermind!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm attempting to imagine the pandemonium of a player named Haha Dix being drafted by Philadelphia. I don't know if the sports fans in this region will be able to handle it.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The Lions drafting a center and there's no crazy awesome ones? gently caress.

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.
All signs seem to be pointing to Melvin Gordon leaving after this year. He's amazing and I'm gonna miss the gently caress out of him. Thoughts on his stock?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Great OP, except Sammy Watkins plays for Clemson, not Syracuse :)

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

EnterYourNameHere posted:

Since the Bengals will never ever spend a high pick on a safety for whatever stupid reason this is pretty much going to be a straight BPA draft which will own
If they somehow end up picking late (they won't), maybe. Heir to Reggie Nelson: HaHa Clinton-Dix.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
So what's the deal with AJ McCarron? I get the feeling that not many people like him in the NFL, that he plays for the best team in CFB and that he's just a game manager. Any chance some team that needs a QB takes him to be a starter, or is he more of a "great potential as an excellent backup" type guy?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Dion Bailey was supposed to transition more to a Safety this year, but I can't really say how much he has due to all of the injuries and having to work every Saturday

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The best thread, all hail bewbies. The Niners are gonna need hella bodies at WR and DB this offseason with nearly everyone on the current roster at those positions either reaching free agency soon, or in Carlos Rogers' case a likely cap casualty. Luckily we've got picks for days and Baalke loves his draft-day trades.

e: And seriously, how can you not want to draft a guy named Haha Clinton-Dix?

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 24, 2013

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Disillusionist posted:

So what's the deal with AJ McCarron? I get the feeling that not many people like him in the NFL, that he plays for the best team in CFB and that he's just a game manager. Any chance some team that needs a QB takes him to be a starter, or is he more of a "great potential as an excellent backup" type guy?

Most people think he's another Alabama QB flash in the pan. I think he has more upside then the other Bama QBs that came before him, but the doubts are valid.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think AJ McCarron would be good for a team like the Browns. He's very stable, makes good decisions, won't blow you out of the water but can get things done.

Also Colt Lyerla got busted for coke so expect his stock to take a tumble.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Declan MacManus posted:

I think AJ McCarron would be good for a team like the Browns. He's very stable, makes good decisions, won't blow you out of the water but can get things done.

Also Colt Lyerla got busted for coke so expect his stock to take a tumble.

Coke and weapons. In a post-Hernandez world, he doesn't get drafted.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Disillusionist posted:

He's Greg McElroy but actually has an arm. I wouldn't start him but I think he'd make a good backup for anybody, and if he does well I could see him end up as a starter down the road.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
bewbies, you're like my favorite Chief fan here. And this thread is exactly why.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to see Fiedorowicz get drafted (mostly because the Hawks aren't gonna have anyone else in the draft). Maybe Dallas Clark will stick around for another year and Moeaki can get healthy and we can see how many teams want to start Iowa tight ends (Clark, Moeaki, Fiedorowicz, Scott Chandler, Brandon Meyers, Allen Reisner).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I think Jace Amaro is going to be the best TE from this draft.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I should finally pay close attention to this since it looks like the Giants are drafting top 5. While I'd be down with the Clown I think I'd prefer an OT if this is a good year for them. Maybe trade down to some desperate team in need of a QB.

With a bunch of Oregon players near the top I'm kind of curious what Chip Kelly is going to do.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If Mariota is available when the Eagles pick, he'll be in Philly faster than you can blink. They'll probably win too many games for that though, so I would hope for their sake they go defense.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think they'll go defense. I mean, there's enough depth at quarterback that they might be able to find someone who can work in Chip's system with a 2nd round pick. I'm worried it'll be Logan Thomas.

Here's what a former Eagles scout has to say on the QBs this year:

quote:

Former Eagles scout John Middlekauff would be "shocked" if Fresno State senior QB Derek Carr is not a top-10 selection in May.

Middlekauff believes Carr has the "best pure passing arm" in the class and adds David's younger brother will rise from January to May. Carr will almost certainly be invited to the Senior Bowl, which will put him on an even playing field with other top senior passers.

I watched one of Carr's games (on a Friday night I think?) and I was not that impressed with his arm, I saw a couple of nice throws and a lot of mediocre ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Logan Thomas' arm isn't credible enough for that offense. Accuracy on short routes to keep teams from stacking the box is more important than being able to heave it downfield (which is nice but not as necessary), as is the ability to get the ball out quickly. I'd say the Eagles are more likely to take whichever of Boyd or Manziel drops to them in the second if they're going to hold out for a defensive guy in the first.

• Locked thread