Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
If the Vikings had the chance to take Mariota or Bridgewater and took Mariota I'd probably shoot someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Gendo posted:

If the Vikings had the chance to take Mariota or Bridgewater and took Mariota I'd probably shoot someone.

We took Ponder over Kaepernick. It wouldn't surprise me.

EDIT: Does anyone think Manziel has any chance to succeed in the NFL? I admit I've seen nothing but highlights of him, but it seems like given his small stature and reliance on scrambling and pulling plays out of his rear end he'll be a bust. The stuff he does in College doesn't seem like it would fly in the pros. Also he's intensely unlikable and I want him to fail.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 26, 2013

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Gendo posted:

For whatever its worth, Peter King says at least two teams have Mariota over Bridgewater on their boards. And Mariota is going to put up impressive combine numbers. And we're going to hear a lot about ~*potential*~ because Bridgewater has been around longer, isn't a great athlete, and everyone assumes he's not going to improve much over what he is now. Unless a team with the top pick falls in love with Bridgewater, there's a good chance Mariota could go ahead of him.

Now where the justifiable homicide comes into play is when people start asking whether Zach Mettenberger should be the top QB

Yaws posted:

We took Ponder over Kaepernick. It wouldn't surprise me.

EDIT: Does anyone think Manziel has any chance to succeed in the NFL? I admit I've seen nothing but highlights of him, but it seems like given his small stature and reliance on scrambling and pulling plays out of his rear end he'll be a bust. The stuff he does in College doesn't seem like it would fly in the pros. Also he's intensely unlikable and I want him to fail.

He needs to get much more accurate on deep passes. He's also one of the rare cases where "coachability" is a legitimate issue, because Manziel holds onto the ball way too long because he knows he can escape defenders and pull off big runs. This won't fly in the pros. And its very hard to gauge just how accurate he really is in Sumlin's plug and play QB system, especially when he has a gigantic receiver to throw to all game.

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 26, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Zach Mettenberger is all arm, no brain. If you want that I'm sure you could offer up a conditional seventh for Tyler Bray.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I just hope the Texans draft Derek Carr

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

Zach Mettenberger is all arm, no brain. If you want that I'm sure you could offer up a conditional seventh for Tyler Bray.

For whatever it's worth every report I've heard is that Andy really likes him. So probably a conditional 6th at least.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's nice being in week 8 and having no idea what your team will draft. I guess DE if Johnson walks (he will).

Emanuel Collective posted:

For whatever its worth, Peter King says at least two teams have Mariota over Bridgewater on their boards. And Mariota is going to put up impressive combine numbers. And we're going to hear a lot about ~*potential*~ because Bridgewater has been around longer, isn't a great athlete, and everyone assumes he's not going to improve much over what he is now. Unless a team with the top pick falls in love with Bridgewater, there's a good chance Mariota could go ahead of him.

The Gabbert effect.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Lot of good names in this draft. Jackson Jeffcoat definitely died at gettysburg

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Yaws posted:

Also he's intensely unlikable and I want him to fail.

Eifert Posting posted:

It's nice being in week 8 and having no idea what your team will draft. I guess DE if Johnson walks (he will).

This'll be less of a need if Montgomery ends up signing with you guys. :smith:

Emanuel Collective posted:

And its very hard to gauge just how accurate he really is in Sumlin's plug and play QB system, especially when he has a gigantic receiver to throw to all game.

Isn't this basically the same complaint that's been given to Stafford/Dalton/whomever for the past couple of years?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Stafford and Dalton aren't that accurate. They also aren't guys who would be a good return for a high first round draft pick.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
A team should be happy with Stafford imo

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Inaccurate is like the bottom of the list for complaints about Dalton. He continues to improve and he's putting up some nice numbers, not sure how many teams would be disappointed with his production if he was a first rounder.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Stafford and Dalton aren't that accurate. They also aren't guys who would be a good return for a high first round draft pick.
A single first round draft pick would be fair value for Stafford. We already know what the value for a QB with elite tools is because Cutler was dealt for two first round picks and a 3rd. A first round pick, by itself, is not going to get an elite QB, if we're talking trade.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Rap posted:

A team should be happy with Stafford imo

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Inaccurate is like the bottom of the list for complaints about Dalton. He continues to improve and he's putting up some nice numbers, not sure how many teams would be disappointed with his production if he was a first rounder.

Yup. Any team that can't win with Stafford isn't a good team and in OC who can't build a decent offense around Dalton isn't worth his job.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

bhsman posted:

This'll be less of a need if Montgomery ends up signing with you guys. :smith:

Isn't this basically the same complaint that's been given to Stafford/Dalton/whomever for the past couple of years?

Its a different kind of complaint. Manziel uses Mike Evans as his security blanket for when Manziel holds onto the ball too long and busts up the ball too long. He'll throw off his back foot or on the run but luck out because Mike Evans is nearby.
Guys like Calvin Johnson bail qbs out sometimes too, but they arent crutches for bad habits

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Quest For Glory II posted:

A single first round draft pick would be fair value for Stafford. We already know what the value for a QB with elite tools is because Cutler was dealt for two first round picks and a 3rd. A first round pick, by itself, is not going to get an elite QB, if we're talking trade.

Cutler also had 3 years left on his rather large but still undervalued rookie contract which had it's signing bonus paid out and was bundled with a 5th by a team he basically held hostage.

Seriously what people are worth in a trade is much more about if they're on rookie contracts, how many years left they have, and then how good they are. It's about value over or under cap hit, which Cutler crushed because broncos were stuck with the dead money from his bonuses, which the bears paid for with draft picks.

Every trade is a snowflake.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

He's basically a younger Brandon Weeden. People can get that for cheaper when he is likely cut at the end of this season.

On a related note, I was looking at hilariously early mock drafts last week and so many of them had the Browns taking Mettenberger or Manziel. All of them justified their pick with "Lol Browns're dumb" in many more words. :mad:

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wait you say a first round pick isn't going to get an elite QB yet you say Stafford is worth one first. If you think Cutler has "elite tools" and Stafford doesn't I don't know what to tell you. Stafford is a better quarterback than Cutler.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think that Stafford is a better quarterback than Cutler, no. And no one has Cutler's arm.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

So how badly did Trey Millard's draft stock fall with his ACL injury? I had been reading 3rd round earlier in the season but I think it's tough to tell how much teams value fullbacks.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005

Doltos posted:

Clowney is definitely playing with some sort of leg injury this year even though South Carolina won't come out and say it.

This is from pages ago, but Clowney himself has already said he's got some bone spur issues in his foot and will likely need a procedure after the season to fix it up. After this weekend's game he said he probably won't be playing totally healthy and feeling great the rest of the year but will keep on playing. I wonder if he winds up having to miss workouts/combine and if it will cause him to drop too far. I'm a huge homer, but I can certainly see how this season may have people thinking he's falling. Those people aren't really watching how he affects plays where he's not getting a stat out of it, but still...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

warheadr posted:

This is from pages ago, but Clowney himself has already said he's got some bone spur issues in his foot and will likely need a procedure after the season to fix it up. After this weekend's game he said he probably won't be playing totally healthy and feeling great the rest of the year but will keep on playing. I wonder if he winds up having to miss workouts/combine and if it will cause him to drop too far. I'm a huge homer, but I can certainly see how this season may have people thinking he's falling. Those people aren't really watching how he affects plays where he's not getting a stat out of it, but still...

Eh that would maybe be true of later round prospects but there are many cameras on Clowney for a reason. Scouts watch every single play for a prospect like him, whether he records a stat on the play or not. Not producing because you're consistently getting double or triple teamed while they run the ball away from you is a good thing, not a knock.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I thought I already posted this but my impression of Barr from a few games is he just seems too small. Very skinny, listed at 248 but who knows. I think he will have to bulk up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Lumping Stafford and Dalton together is nuts. One has NFL tools and one doesn't.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mcmagic posted:

Lumping Stafford and Dalton together is nuts. One has NFL tools and one doesn't.

Both have been successful at the NFL level though. How can you say one has NFL tools and one doesn't?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

How on earth does this stupid Stafford vs Dalton conversation come up so often?

Also I don't know what it is now but going into this week Dalton was like 7th in completion percentage sooooo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

University of Washington chat:

Keith Price has the athleticism and leadership to excite scouts, but i'm not convinced he will make it as an NFL quarterback. Steve Sarkisian stripped down the playbook this season to hide his weaknesses in the passing game, so most of his stats come from screens and designed running plays. As much as I've enjoyed watching him play, he doesn't possess the skills that make me feel like he'll contribute at the next level. A 3rd-4th round projection is way too generous.

Bishop Sankey might surprise people during his pre-draft workouts, but those people only haven't been paying attention. He makes up for his lack of size with elite vision and power. Good luck trying to tackle him in the open field. I think a 2nd round grade is fair for now. Whoever drafts him won't regret it.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins drew some red flags for his offseason DUI and quiet production this year, but I don't think NFL scouts will care about that when it's time to evaluate. Despite the down stats, he still measures up as arguably the best tight end in the country and his blocking seems to have improved this season. Easy first-round pick in my book.

Kasen Williams might end up as an UDFA. He showed flashes but hasn't done enough to live up to the recruiting hype. I'll be surprised if anyone drafts him.

Sean Parker has been one of the best players on the defense this year. He's too small to handle the load at safety in the NFL, but could carve out a niche as a solid nickel back. 6th-7th rounder.

Washington is rightfully mocked for its lack of success, but we still have our fair share of NFL talent. Donald Butler and Mason Foster are defensive leaders on their respective teams, Jake Locker seems to have gotten things together in his third year, and even Jermaine Kearse may have found some hands.

We have good talent, y'all. Too bad they will never see a Rose Bowl.

Pretty much agreeing with all of this. Price will probably be an UDFA, or a 5-6th rounder at best. He'd never be anything more than a backup.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins hasn't had any off-field problems since the DUI as far as I know. He's got less character concerns than the last UW Tight End to be drafted in the first round (haha :smith: ). Seferian-Jenkins is massive and speedy. Can't wait to see him light it up at the combine.

Seahawk-chat, I would imagine they'll try to get some OL with supposedly how deep that position is this year and our lack of depth that has us relying on Paul McQuistan and Breno Giacomini. Of course, considering their last two drafts and their rather odd 1st picks (Bruce Irvin and Christine Michael), I have no idea what their strategy will be.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Declan MacManus posted:

Both have been successful at the NFL level though. How can you say one has NFL tools and one doesn't?

QB's without NFL tools are successful at the pro level all the time. See Alex Smith. He's just the latest one.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

QB's without NFL tools are successful at the pro level all the time. See Alex Smith. He's just the latest one.

uh...

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Alex Smith had good-ish tools, he was a combination of declaring too early (because that year's QB class was considered bad), and landing in a horrible situation. No one here was more critical of Smith than me early on, especially in 2006-2007, when people thought he turned a corner (albeit, with Norv) when he really just played a horrible schedule.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
please stop responding to mcmagic how many times must it be said

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

The Gabbert effect.

Isn't the fact the Michael Johnson will be leaving the reason they drafted Margus Hunt this year? I am all for more great defensive ends, but the secondary needs help more than the d-line.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

Alex Smith had good-ish tools, he was a combination of declaring too early (because that year's QB class was considered bad), and landing in a horrible situation. No one here was more critical of Smith than me early on, especially in 2006-2007, when people thought he turned a corner (albeit, with Norv) when he really just played a horrible schedule.

Regarding that year's draft; I only recently started following the NFL, but how on earth did Alex Smith end up going 1st overall that year? From everything I've seen NFL scouts seem to hugely favour QBs with the prototypical physical skills (big arm, quick release etc) that give them a high ceiling. How did someone like Smith who is regarded as a relatively weak armed game manager go above Aaron Rodgers, who has one of the best arms and best throwing mechanics of anyone in the league? I know Rodgers got to sit for a few years and Smith had a procession of offensive coordinators, but surely Rodgers had to be considered as someone with a higher ceiling?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ouroboros posted:

Regarding that year's draft; I only recently started following the NFL, but how on earth did Alex Smith end up going 1st overall that year? From everything I've seen NFL scouts seem to hugely favour QBs with the prototypical physical skills (big arm, quick release etc) that give them a high ceiling. How did someone like Smith who is regarded as a relatively weak armed game manager go above Aaron Rodgers, who has one of the best arms and best throwing mechanics of anyone in the league? I know Rodgers got to sit for a few years and Smith had a procession of offensive coordinators, but surely Rodgers had to be considered as someone with a higher ceiling?

Believe it or not Smith looked like he had a plus arm. I think his arm strength is a little underestimated now (every so often he will really gun it), but at the time it looked at least above average.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2015296

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pro-day-report-alex-smith-042300667--nfl.html

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
IIRC Aaron Rodgers had questionable mechanics in college, he's one of the rare guys to actually fix that as a pro.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Also, part of the problem was that Mike Nolan drafted Smith because he was 'a winner', and then proceeded to cram him into an offense that featured absolutely none of the things Smith did (and did really well!) in college.

Mike Nolan is a bad coach.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Ouroboros posted:

Smith doesn't have a weak arm and he really isn't a "game manager" in the sense that people describe him. As a prospect he was an athletic tools guy with a good arm and what are now considered the usual questions coming out of a spread option offense like whether he could take drops and what kind of accuracy he really had (at the time those questions were new since there wasn't a great college spread option QB prospect prior to Smith).

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Smith doesn't seem to have a weak arm particularly, he just struggles with an accurate deep pass. They are often overthrown.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Alex Smith struggles with his progressions. That doesn't show up as much in college when players are open more or less at will. He has got better due to coordinators now building a hot route into every passing play he can check down to. If they did this for Derek Anderson years ago he'd still be a starting QB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Yaws posted:

I'm an A&M fan, watched all his games. The small stature and scrambling aren't a concern, the decision making is. He's scrambled successfully against plenty of first-round defensive talent over the last two years. But he bails out of the pocket too soon and still forces balls he should dump short or throw away, which results in some boneheaded INTs. This is especially a concern because Sumlin's system is a lot simpler and more autonomous than most NFL teams.

He's got plenty of throwing ability, anyone who mentions "arm strength" as a concern is basing it on freshman tape.

• Locked thread