Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Febreeze posted:

I should finally pay close attention to this since it looks like the Giants are drafting top 5. While I'd be down with the Clown I think I'd prefer an OT if this is a good year for them. Maybe trade down to some desperate team in need of a QB.

With a bunch of Oregon players near the top I'm kind of curious what Chip Kelly is going to do.

Minnesota's in the same place. This season has become a dumpster fire unusually fast for Minnesota (and New York).

Anyways, Thanks Bewbies for making the thread. My contribution:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Logan Thomas' arm isn't credible enough for that offense. Accuracy on short routes to keep teams from stacking the box is more important than being able to heave it downfield (which is nice but not as necessary), as is the ability to get the ball out quickly. I'd say the Eagles are more likely to take whichever of Boyd or Manziel drops to them in the second if they're going to hold out for a defensive guy in the first.
I think it's more that they'd end up in the unpalatable 12-16 range of the draft where you miss out on the top QB prospects and taking one from the next grouping would be a massive reach. It just sucks that there is no top-flight safety this year because they are really vulnerable at that position. Nate Allen's been a loving nightmare.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 24, 2013

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Carr's putting up pretty excellent numbers for Fresno State this year and reports on him from an attitude/work ethic perspective seem universally positive, but there will be LoC questions and I haven't watched any of their games this year so I couldn't make an accurate scouting report on him at all from a physical perspective.

I'm so fascinated to see what happens with Manziel. To me he just looks like a disaster waiting to happen at the pro level with how often he walks the razor's edge on every busted play. Somehow he comes out smelling like a rose more often than not at A&M but with the massive jump in athleticism on defense in the NFL I just don't buy that it will translate. And that's without even getting into the off-field poo poo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm surprised Jarvis Landry didn't make the list; great route-runner and catches everything. Reminds me a lot of Anquan Bolden in how he attacks the ball.

I mean, look at him:

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Spoilers: The Texans will draft Johnny Football

I actually want this to happen. :unsmigghh:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Christmas came early this year! Thanks Bewbies!

Declan MacManus posted:

Great OP, except Sammy Watkins plays for Clemson, not Syracuse :)

Oh thank god. I thought I was going crazy.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm so fascinated to see what happens with Manziel. To me he just looks like a disaster waiting to happen at the pro level with how often he walks the razor's edge on every busted play. Somehow he comes out smelling like a rose more often than not at A&M but with the massive jump in athleticism on defense in the NFL I just don't buy that it will translate. And that's without even getting into the off-field poo poo.

The Alabama games this year and last year have convinced me that he'll be able to translate that pocket scrambling to the NFL. They're the best/most talented defense in CFB and he ran circles around them. Not all of that will cross over, but that pocket ability he has almost certainly will.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 24, 2013

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

bhsman posted:

I'm surprised Jarvis Landry didn't make the list; great route-runner and catches everything. Reminds me a lot of Anquan Bolden in how he attacks the ball.

I mean, look at him:

All I see is a defensive back who can't hold onto a sure-fire interception despite interfering with the catch.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grozz Nuy posted:

Carr's putting up pretty excellent numbers for Fresno State this year and reports on him from an attitude/work ethic perspective seem universally positive, but there will be LoC questions and I haven't watched any of their games this year so I couldn't make an accurate scouting report on him at all from a physical perspective.

Manziel makes his bones off of throwing jump balls to Mike Evans when he's in trouble, so as long as you have a big, physical wide receiver who can muscle players out of the way ala Anquan Boldin there's no reason he can't find some degree of success. I'd really be interested to see how his game would look if he had, say, Calvin Johnson or Vernon Davis to throw to.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

bhsman posted:

I kinda do too. But I also kinda want us to take Carr just for the :psyberger:-storm. Give him #8.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Arschlochkind posted:

I kinda do too. But I also kinda want us to take Carr just for the :psyberger:-storm. Give him #8.

Nah, the plan is to draft Manziel and give him the #1 jersey so the old grumpy fans still upset at the "Bulls on Parade" meme will be even more upset. :devil:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
We play Derek Carr this weekend and I am terrified

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Great OP as always, thanks Bewbies.

The giants have a lot of other needs but now I really just want them to draft HaHa Clinton-Dix and Boo Boo Gates so that we can have our starting safeties be HaHa and Boo Boo, I don't really give a poo poo if they're any good.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
It is really goddamn amazing/sad that Washington players are listed as decent prospects at WR, RB and TE and yet two out of those three haven't produced much at all in the offense this year.

To be honest I'm gonna feel sorry for the team that drafts Kasen Williams, dude has just not lived up to the hype at all and is almost an afterthought in our offense at the college level. Can't see him being even a decent factor in the NFL.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I take issue with one thing in your evaluations, bewbies: Bishop Sankey's an incredible name and all, but how can you sit there and tell me that it beats out Lache Seastrunk?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

wheez the roux posted:

Andrew Furney, Kicker, Washington State :colbert:

In case you thought this was a joke post, I would put him as one of the top kicking prospects in the country. No, kickers will never go in high rounds, but he has a goddamn laser rocket leg and probably a long career in the pros ahead of him.

Unlike anyone else at Wazzu. Go Cougs :smith:

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I take issue with one thing in your evaluations, bewbies: Bishop Sankey's an incredible name and all, but how can you sit there and tell me that it beats out Lache Seastrunk?

How do you pronounce that? I hope it's "luh-Shay Sea-strunk".

As somebody who is only qualified to judge prospects based on their names, I gotta say, we've got some real good ones this year.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

Great OP, except Sammy Watkins plays for Clemson, not Syracuse :)

You know, I even wrote that up while watching the Clemson game last weekend. Derp

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Yo

Where is my man Trey Burton?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bewbies posted:

You know, I even wrote that up while watching the Clemson game last weekend. Derp

To be fair they played each other and they both wear orange.

troofs posted:

How do you pronounce that? I hope it's "luh-Shay Sea-strunk".

As somebody who is only qualified to judge prospects based on their names, I gotta say, we've got some real good ones this year.

It's pronounced like Lake. That may be better or worse depending on your predilection for water-based puns (he also used to play for the Ducks).

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'm guessing you burned out on the name comments because my man....you missed Clowney and Dix

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just saw that Mcshay now has Mariota ahead of Bridgewater at the #2 spot. Interesting...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bewbies posted:

Just saw that Mcshay now has Mariota ahead of Bridgewater at the #2 spot. Interesting...

Mariota's got better physical tools even if he doesn't have the mechanics down and plays in a much tougher conference than Bridgewater. I think Bridgewater's going to look way better at the combine and stay ahead of Mariota for good but I can understand why McShay might waffle.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Thank God there are a million QB prospects this year. Hopefully we ca trade up for Boyd or Carr will fall to us.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

If you think that's interesting Bucky Brooks has Mariota at #1 then Manziel, Winston, Bridgewater, and Carr in that order.

Winston is a redshirt Freshman, which confuses me.

Anyway, Mariota has the NFL arm and build, he just has crappy footwork that's going to lead to a lot of off-kilter passes. I don't think he's even seen pressure this year outside of the California game. I'd like to see him play UCLA first and Stanford first before I even put him above Hundley.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Do you guys think Mariota, Hundley, and Manziel will all come out this year? They are all RS-Soph. I can't even think of the last top QB prospect that was a RS-Soph to come out.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Vick is the only one I can remember.

e: Oh, and Todd Marinovich.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Texans fan here...it's been a couple of years since I've posted in this thread so early into the season. I look forward to posting alongside Giants, Jaguars, Browns, Vikings and Bucs fans. Whose someone the Texans can reasonably expect to drop to the 5-8 position at quarterback?

And don't you loving dare say Derek Carr.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is something from a couple years ago I thought was interesting. It's an analysis of how much a pick is worth (e.g., for trading picks). If anyone has anything newer along these lines I'd like to see it. I don't watch the draft but I love to look at past drafts and scouting reports with the benefit of hindsight. http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/how-to-value-nfl-draft-picks/

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

wandler20 posted:

Do you guys think Mariota, Hundley, and Manziel will all come out this year? They are all RS-Soph. I can't even think of the last top QB prospect that was a RS-Soph to come out.

No.

Never happens. Players go back all the time and most of the time it's beyond frustrating. Luck was the most inexplicable one of recent memory, but Locker was right behind him too. Players need to stop being afraid of not being picked first overall or slipping to the second.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Mariota will be steamrolled in the title game by the soul crushing Alabama machine of death and unfathomable sadness and go back for chance to do it all over again next year.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Febreeze posted:

I should finally pay close attention to this since it looks like the Giants are drafting top 5. While I'd be down with the Clown I think I'd prefer an OT if this is a good year for them. Maybe trade down to some desperate team in need of a QB.

I'm 100% down with Clown but barring that, this dude seems ideal at the other tackle spot:

bewbies posted:

Cyrus Koundjio, Alabama, 1st
One of the best run blocking OTs I’ve ever seen. Strength, speed and agility are the best in the draft; moves incredibly well for his size, very light on his feet. Technique in pass blocking is still pretty raw, very powerful but doesn’t always use his hands as well as he could. Incredibly nasty player, especially in run blocking, actively seeks out people to hit even if he doesn’t need to. Prototypical run blocking OT with some upside to be an elite pass blocker as well. Prospect comparison: Branden Albert

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

No.

Never happens. Players go back all the time and most of the time it's beyond frustrating. Luck was the most inexplicable one of recent memory, but Locker was right behind him too. Players need to stop being afraid of not being picked first overall or slipping to the second.

Chances are that any of these guys peak might be the second QB taken, that is if Winston continues his brilliant play. Should be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sadly burton doesn't have a real nfl position but he's an awesome utility guy. 6'3 225 lbs runs in the 4.59 range and not only has great hands but can throw block and rush the ball when needed.

Awesome op Bewbies. Miami is going to be staring down tackles and guards this year. Again. Also so many players with one year contracts we won't know their other places of need til week 14 or so. As it stands I think we try to lock up Brent grimes for 3 years he has been great for us.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boosh! posted:

I'm 100% down with Clown but barring that, this dude seems ideal at the other tackle spot:

I disagree with Bewbie's assessment on Koundjio. I see him as more of a guard and I don't see any capability as a pass blocker. He seems like a pulling RG or an Iupati type if he were to go to the left side. I'd rather have Matthews.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Sadly burton doesn't have a real nfl position but he's an awesome utility guy. 6'3 225 lbs runs in the 4.59 range and not only has great hands but can throw block and rush the ball when needed.

Awesome op Bewbies. Miami is going to be staring down tackles and guards this year. Again. Also so many players with one year contracts we won't know their other places of need til week 14 or so. As it stands I think we try to lock up Brent grimes for 3 years he has been great for us.

I see Burton declaring as a TE.

I see a smart team drafting him and being happy.

It won't be us :(

oh god he's gonna be a Patriot

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

Texans fan here...it's been a couple of years since I've posted in this thread so early into the season. I look forward to posting alongside Giants, Jaguars, Browns, Vikings and Bucs fans. Whose someone the Texans can reasonably expect to drop to the 5-8 position at quarterback?

And don't you loving dare say Derek Carr.

JFF. :getin: But probably someone like Boyd if not Mariota. Even then we could stand to wait until the second round and pick up someone like Fales, Mettenberger or Murray.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

I see Burton declaring as a TE.

I see a smart team drafting him and being happy.

It won't be us :(

oh god he's gonna be a Patriot

Too small and bad blocker. Wait a minute I said this exact thing last year about Jordan reed didn't i

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

wandler20 posted:

Manziel has certainly indicated in both behavior and words that he will, but things can change and you're right in that it's unusual that all of the talked about underclassman actually do declare in any given. Probably worth noting that Bridgewater as a true junior is no more of a lock than these three to declare either.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

pangstrom posted:

This is something from a couple years ago I thought was interesting. It's an analysis of how much a pick is worth (e.g., for trading picks). If anyone has anything newer along these lines I'd like to see it. I don't watch the draft but I love to look at past drafts and scouting reports with the benefit of hindsight. http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/how-to-value-nfl-draft-picks/

This is amazing. Thanks for posting it, everyone should take a look at it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Manziel is so banged up right now that he is currently trying (and allegedly succeeding) to teach himself to throw left handed. If he comes back for another year he may die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningBoo posted:

Manziel is so banged up right now that he is currently trying (and allegedly succeeding) to teach himself to throw left handed. If he comes back for another year he may die.

Which will most likely happen in the NFL anyway. My biggest concern for Manziel is his head isn't on a swivel when he runs, and he narrowly misses massive hits by a hair's breadth. That's not going to happen in the NFL, defenders are so much faster.

jeffersonlives posted:

Manziel has certainly indicated in both behavior and words that he will, but things can change and you're right in that it's unusual that all of the talked about underclassman actually do declare in any given. Probably worth noting that Bridgewater as a true junior is no more of a lock than these three to declare either.

That's what ticks me off about this years draft. It looks extremely deep but guys like Bridgewater can easily go back if they get ruminations that Mariota might go ahead of them.

• Locked thread