Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mmm I have bad news for every QB prospect to ever declare then; that poo poo doesn't end until your name is called on draft day. Remember the debate of whether Indy should take RG3 instead of Luck? Even with the generational talent, there's intentional clouding.

There was no significant debate between Luck and Griffin. Indy wasn't even pretending that it was a discussion, to the point that Griffin wouldn't even work out for them because they had tipped their hand months earlier that the pick was Luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Declan MacManus posted:

"Perception" means where he's supposed to go; if he's not supposed to go high then he won't declare.

That's the reason these players have agents prior to actually entering the pros: to advise them on where they're likely to be drafted and the risk vs. opportunity equation of going back to school for the potential to make more money in a later draft.

Obviously that stuff can still change after the declaration is made, but it still absolutely matters. I wonder how the whole Barkley debacle will affect a lot of these draft-eligible but still younger QB prospects.

jeffersonlives posted:

There was no significant debate between Luck and Griffin. Indy wasn't even pretending that it was a discussion, to the point that Griffin wouldn't even work out for them because they had tipped their hand months earlier that the pick was Luck.

Yeah, the 'should Indy take RG3???' debate was pure time-filler for the cable networks, there was never any doubt of who Irsay wanted.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Obviously that stuff can still change after the declaration is made, but it still absolutely matters. I wonder how the whole Barkley debacle will affect a lot of these draft-eligible but still younger QB prospects.

Weren't people souring on Barkley before he actually declared, or is that my imagination?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grittybeard posted:

Weren't people souring on Barkley before he actually declared, or is that my imagination?

He played very inconsistently after coming back and he ended up getting injured.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Grittybeard posted:

Yes, but the point was that he didn't declare in 2012 because he thought he would make more money if he got out from underneath the shadows of Luck and RG3, and it turned out he had a terrible senior season and lost millions of dollars. People soured on him over the course of the 2013 season, but if he had declared the prior year it wouldn't have played out that way. It's one of the biggest 'perception' hits from year to year I can remember, at least for a quarterback.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Grittybeard posted:

Opposite way; Barkley and Landry Jones both didn't declare for 2012 because it was viewed as a top-heavy draft for quarterbacks and they had no chance to get past Luck and little chance to get past Griffin. Then their stock went plummeting in their senior seasons.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Declan MacManus posted:

He played very inconsistently after coming back and he ended up getting injured.

Another reason to nut up and go into the draft after your best collegiate year. I'm looking at you Jake Locker.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Yes, but the point was that he didn't declare in 2012 because he thought he would make more money if he got out from underneath the shadows of Luck and RG3, and it turned out he had a terrible senior season and lost millions of dollars. People soured on him over the course of the 2013 season, but if he had declared the prior year it wouldn't have played out that way. It's one of the biggest 'perception' hits from year to year I can remember, at least for a quarterback.

Oh, gotcha. For some reason I was thinking he still came out early even though he went back the year before, I thought he redshirted a season for some reason.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

"Perception" means where he's supposed to go; if he's not supposed to go high then he won't declare.
Yeah but I don't know where this change in perception is coming from, if the scouts knew what the level of competition was gonna be. For him to drop low enough that it would be a better move to stay another year, he'd have to be showing a couple of pretty serious cracks in the armor, which hasn't happened yet. Maybe those will form as the season goes along, I dunno. The Rutgers game will give scouts some stuff to mull over, because he made a couple of mistakes in that game. But if he's given a 1st round grade then he's got to get paid.

Barkley's fall from grace was a much longer stretch of screwups. He had the awful game against Stanford, which had already hurt him, and then later had a stretch of 4 games where he threw 9 picks. I mean it all fell apart. Then on top of that, he injured his throwing shoulder in December, and was not able to perform in any of the post-season workouts. It was a whole lot of things. It went from "Alright maybe he's not the top quarterback" to "Oh wow yikes yeesh".

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 24, 2013

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Barkley was hurt all of last year and it makes sense that he dropped like he did. Plus USC was a dumpster fire that lost receivers and their blue chip LT.

But, again, Barkley should have left the year before. He was just afraid of competing against Luck and RG3 in the draft.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah but I don't know where this change in perception is coming from, if the scouts knew what the level of competition was gonna be. For him to drop low enough that it would be a better move to stay another year, he'd have to be showing a couple of pretty serious cracks in the armor, which hasn't happened yet. Maybe those will form as the season goes along, I dunno. The Rutgers game will give scouts some stuff to mull over, because he made a couple of mistakes in that game. But if he's given a 1st round grade then he's got to get paid.

Barkley's fall from grace was a much longer stretch of screwups. He had the awful game against Stanford, which had already hurt him, and then later had a stretch of 4 games where he threw 9 picks. I mean it all fell apart. Then on top of that, he injured his throwing shoulder in December, and was not able to perform in any of the post-season workouts. It was a whole lot of things. It went from "Alright maybe he's not the top quarterback" to "Oh wow yikes yeesh".

Sometimes guys just rise and fall because perceptions shift, without an overriding narrative. In this case we're starting with the perpetual obsession with the idea that there always has to be a 1-1 candidate quarterback in each class, and coming into the season Bridgewater was not only the best candidate but really the only one. Now there is at least one other identifiable top pick quarterback prospect - one who frankly Bridgewater doesn't physically compare to all that well - and several more that could emerge, the bloom's off Bridgewater a bit; this was the inevitability that his stock would dip that I was originally referring to.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

kiimo posted:

He was never a good fit for out defense. I see he has two sacks this year. That's half his career total in KC.

I don't think the defense was the problem with Dorsey as much as the perception. The guy was a badass run defender in KC, it's just he was drafted to be the next Warren Sapp. It's one of those examples where a draft pick develops in weird ways.

No one expected it, but the dude ended up combining the reach of the 6'5" guy you would generally expect to work well as a 2-gap DE with a much lower center of gravity and athleticism to get outside of the short area.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What are people's current thoughts on Jimmy Garoppolo? Any chance he sprints up the rankings?

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
Whoever gets Louis Nix is gonna be really happy. I'm gonna miss him at ND, he dominates the middle. Just gotta make sure he doesn't eat himself out of shape.

Also, TJ Jones might be a receiver to keep an eye on in the mid to later rounds - not elite in any physical category, besides maybe agility or quickness. Great route runner and could be a good slot.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Get ready for a billion comparisons of Manziel to Russell Wilson y'all.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

commy gun posted:

Analysts don't make lazy cross-race comparisons, they only make lazy intra-race comparisons. Although he is a lot more like Doug Flutie than Russell Wilson.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

kiimo posted:

That trade wasn't worth it for Alex Smith. But if you pretend that Marcus Cooper was part of the trade it's a steal.

His rise is so weird since he wasn't that good in college. Logan Ryan on the other hand, that dude is awesome and should have gone a round higher.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

commy gun posted:

Russell Wilson makes things happen by making smart decisions, including the best chance improvisation if a play breaks down.

Manziel breaks plays down if he thinks he can try something rad and it works a lot in college even when it's a dumb as hell move that would never work in the NFL

that said, with a good QB coach and more importantly, a true desire to improve, he certainly has the ability to be a decent QB in the league imo

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Thats some awesome homer take on "scrambles and chucks it deep"

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Thats some awesome homer take on "scrambles and chucks it deep"

You're welcome. God bless.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I want Jake Matthews on the Chargers so bad

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I was pretty sure the Raiders were gonna grab a DT last year, but they grabbed a CB so what do I know? I have no idea who they grab here

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

I was pretty sure the Raiders were gonna grab a DT last year, but they grabbed a CB so what do I know? I have no idea who they grab here

I'd imagine you guys are pretty close to best player available working out no matter who it is right? I guess maybe not QB if Pryor keeps looking like he might work out.

I've made fun of your roster a lot but I honestly don't know, what positions are you guys set at if any?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I want Jake Matthews on the Chargers so bad

Your team is going to have to go 0-9 to get a shot at Matthews.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Your team is going to have to go 0-9 to get a shot at Matthews.

Which is really possible

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everyone says the Jags are in lock for the #1 pick but the Bucs are so inept and injury riddled that they've got to be in play too. They may be a more talented team but wins and losses are not always about talent. And they're likely to be with an interim coach soon as well.

I dunno if Henne or Glennon is more likely to accidentally win a game for their team. Glennon doesn't really seem to want to try to throw aggressively and he gets worse and worse over the course of every game. But Henne is.. Henne.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Which is really possible

hahaha nah you're going to kick our rear end when we play you

I need to make a new Cry me a rivers comic with Rivers jumping on everyone's graves

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
I'd be completely shocked if Mariota entered the draft, but then again I thought the same thing about Daron Thomas (idiot)

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I actually want the Chiefs to draft Johnny Manziel because he'd own in the NFL with Andy Reid teaching him. If I can't have that, will be keeping fingers crossed that Sammy Watkins somehow slips to the bottom of the first round.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Oh yeah I didn't put a serious comment in here yet:
My dream scenario is the giants trade down a spot or two with a team that wants a QB, take Matthews and get some extra 2nd-3rd round picks in either this draft or firsts in a future draft. I would also be really happy to have Clowney on the giants but I really don't think he's going to fix the team by himself.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Febreeze posted:

hahaha nah you're going to kick our rear end when we play you

I need to make a new Cry me a rivers comic with Rivers jumping on everyone's graves

Eli is going to utterly shred our secondary. It will not be pretty.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Is Chris Borland held in decent regard? He looks really loving good this year and I noticed he wasn't on the OP list.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is Chris Borland held in decent regard? He looks really loving good this year and I noticed he wasn't on the OP list.

He's seen as small and will go in the second day probably. He'd be a good ILB in a 3-4 though, or at least a good rotational gap plugger.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Browns, Niners, and Jags each have at least ten picks for the '14 draft. Gonna be fun as hell

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jets will have at least 10 as well. Bucs 3rd rounder plus 3-4 comp picks from the LaRon Landry, Shonn Greene, Mike DeVito, and Dustin Keller group.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
The NFL usually only gives 1-2 comp picks out, I thought. I know the Packers will get a decent one from Erik Walden/Greg Jennings at least.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

fariz posted:

I'd be completely shocked if Mariota entered the draft, but then again I thought the same thing about Daron Thomas (idiot)

You know Mariota has a first round grade from almost every "professional" scout and will probably get the same from the NFL Draft Advisory Board, right?

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine you guys are pretty close to best player available working out no matter who it is right? I guess maybe not QB if Pryor keeps looking like he might work out.

I've made fun of your roster a lot but I honestly don't know, what positions are you guys set at if any?

An actual Raiders fan will probably give you a better answer than I, but it seems they're set at:

1. Tackle. Veldheer is pretty good when healthy and they just drafted Menelik Watson who hasn't played much due to injury.
2. Center
3. Tyvon Branch is a pretty good safety

That's all I know off the top of my head. Not sure how Sio Moore is doing but even if he's good they need more linebackers. I assume they need defensive lineman. They're starting Mike Jenkins so they need more quality corners. Woodson is having a good year but they need a replacement for him down the line. Their guards suck. They have some nice receivers but I'm not sure any of them is a true #1. And I don't know anything about their tight ends.

Pretty much anyone would help the Raiders right now.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

His rise is so weird since he wasn't that good in college.

The Chiefs have a really good defensive backs coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

superaielman posted:

The NFL usually only gives 1-2 comp picks out, I thought. I know the Packers will get a decent one from Erik Walden/Greg Jennings at least.
The max they give is 4, although it depends on how many other team are getting them. Idzik was careful to only sign players that had been cut, which don't count against the formula for negating your comp picks.

• Locked thread