Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Christmas came early this year! Thanks Bewbies!

Declan MacManus posted:

Great OP, except Sammy Watkins plays for Clemson, not Syracuse :)

Oh thank god. I thought I was going crazy.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm so fascinated to see what happens with Manziel. To me he just looks like a disaster waiting to happen at the pro level with how often he walks the razor's edge on every busted play. Somehow he comes out smelling like a rose more often than not at A&M but with the massive jump in athleticism on defense in the NFL I just don't buy that it will translate. And that's without even getting into the off-field poo poo.

The Alabama games this year and last year have convinced me that he'll be able to translate that pocket scrambling to the NFL. They're the best/most talented defense in CFB and he ran circles around them. Not all of that will cross over, but that pocket ability he has almost certainly will.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Doltos posted:

Granted that Curry and Gallery both looked like can't fail prospects, but they both had their knocks coming out. Guys like Megatron really don't fail, and I can't remember the last Megatron quality prospect that didn't do well in the NFL.

Sure it's easy to hindsight it but guys like Ryan Leaf and Tony Mandarich really weren't can't miss generational prospects. They turned into poster boys for red flags to watch out for. The only thing I can think of that might have made me wary of Calvin Johnson was Georgia Tech's triple threat offense, but that's about it.

You mean the fact that he never played in a passing offense and didn't run anything close to a full route tree? Yea, that's a bit of a concern.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Fussy Dutchman posted:

Those stats for Peterson.. how in the hell did he not win the Heisman? :psyduck:

edit: I'm a shmuck, saw his HS stats and my eyes got wide. Still, he tore it up as a freshman.

Peterson was so impressive that many of the RBs on the team transferred and did quite well on other teams. I want to say Tashard Choice was one

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

I'm entertained every time a middle of the pack team loses someone and the representative posters from that team start speculating about what they'll do with the first overall pick of the draft. It's kind of offensive to those of us with teams that have been terrible since week 1.

Word. This poo poo is between the Jags and the Bucs but almost certainly going to the Jags. It is a touch aggravating as a Bucs fan this year to know we won't get the first pick even though we're terrible.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Vikings are definitely not getting the top pick now.

Also, :lol: Mariotta.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

You're not drafting top five Houston. Jesus, take a breath and look at your drat schedule. Atlanta is a touch more likely but they'll likely grab another 2 wins as well.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Still can't believe the stupid Bucs won. They are in nightmare scenario where they win 3 or 4 late and lose a good draft slot.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Mike Evans reminds me more of Larry Fitz. Either way he seems loving insanely talented and I would love to have him on the Bucs if we somehow end up with two firsts.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Grozz Nuy posted:

Also, if the coaching staff changes they could convert defensive schemes too for all we know. It's not like JJ Watt would suddenly start sucking if he played DT full time, and then they could let Smith walk to save the cap space.

It would be loving dumb to risk negating the best defensive player in the league by changing schemes.

Congrats on completely loving your draft positioning Bucs. I got to watch you be atrocious all season and now we won't even get anything for it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Arschlochkind posted:

And the Jags just won again. :colbert:

There's still a chance for me to be right, so I'll wait to say my mea culpas for another two weeks, but I think it's safe to say that I vastly underestimated the Texans ability to choke games away. They're clearly not as bad as their record, much like the Bucs, but they seem incapable of closing a loving game out.

Thank god Atlanta, Minn, and the Jags won so the Bucs can keep pace but now I'm getting worried since there's a logjam of teams with 3-4 wins the Bucs could conceivably win just enough to boot themselves out of the top ten.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kirios posted:

Well, alright, out of morbid curiosity, if the Jaguars were picking #1 would you still say that they should take Clowney over Bridgewater? Surely you think Clowney's the guy beyond thinking Watt's on the other side and they would be this unstoppable two headed monster. Not to mention Clowney is a 4-3 DE and we play in a 3-4 base. If you try to move us to a 4-3 what guarantee do you have that Watt would be as dominating as he is now?

And on that point, to...say, Browns, Jets, Jaguars, Raiders and Vikings fans, would you also agree that you'd rather take Clowney over Bridgewater?

I'm not trying to stir anything by any means - I'm legitimately curious.

I'd take Bridgewater over Clowney 10 out of 10 times unless I was the Falcons. Now, any of the other QBs? Then it's a toss up.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Why would I take the top DE over the top QB?

For example, the Texans have what is arguable the best DE in the league putting up some all best seasons and they've got 2 wins vs the Colts pre/post Luck, the Seahawks pre/post Wilson etc. Get the drat QB if you want to win. It's the single most important variable in the game today.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

bhsman posted:

Sumlin being extended makes me think there's a good chance Manziel stays another year. But if not aw yeah Jay-Eff-Eff :getin:

That .gif really makes me want Boyd and Clowney on the same team a la Hopkins-Swearinger :3:

We dropped 31 points on the Patriots at home with a 10 point lead going into the half and had three touchdowns in the first half against the Colts, also at home. Hell, look at the Seahawks game with Schaub. We proceeded to get outscored in the second half almost every time.

Go watch Brady's TD throw to Gronk and see how much time he has. :smith:

I also saw your team put together absolutely nothing on their final drive that would have iced the game or at least given Brady significantly less time to win.

Emanuel Collective posted:

Because the top DE is likely a generational talent, and the top QB isn't

More likely to get you to the playoffs pick one:

Calvin Johnson, JJ Watt, Cam Newton

Grozz Nuy posted:

Because your coaches might not think the QB is likely to turn out well?

Using Wilson as your example when he was drafted midway through the third round should be like, the biggest possible example why this reasoning is stupid and flawed. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and Tony Romo went undrafted while Akili Smith and Joey Harrington were top 5 picks.

Obviously this is predicated on him being the highest QB on that coaches board.

No it perfectly illustrates the need for a good QB, and if we're going to talk about hit rates your chances of finding a good QB are about double in the first round then the second and not even comparable to the third.

Follow the logic here: Good QB makes your team better than generational talent at any other position (examples of good QBs here) therefore it is imperative to get a good QB. Best chance of getting a good QB is taking best QB in any given year. Still not a great chance, but best possible.

I genuinely agree with Kawalimus in that I'd take a QB every single year until one hits, or at worst every other year in the first.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Intruder posted:

It's kind of funny that in this example the QB you picked is the one player listed who hasn't been to the playoffs even if I'm still leaning toward agreeing with you about needing to take the QB

They've basically made the playoffs this year as is, so that's a moot point plus I wanted to pick a good but not great top five QB compared to the best at other positions. Use Matt Ryan if you'd prefer.

A good QB is more likely to make you competitive year in and year out than any other position look at Purple Jesus vs Matt Ryan. Peterson is clearly a generational RB and it's done very little to make the Vikings playoff contenders because he's constantly torpedoed by lovely QB play. Matt Ryan has not been a generational QB but he's been good and in spite of a mediocre to poo poo defense most years or a rapidly disintegrating o-line the past two years, he's pulled them into the playoffs. It took essentially every good player on the team outside of him getting injured to completely gently caress the team and we all know this is a one year occurrence.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

bhsman posted:

More than that, Newton playing his heart out didn't do anything about the terrible defense. Grabbing talented defensive line talent helped a whole lot in that regard.

Nope, Newton was inconsistent but mostly he got hosed by poor coaching. I never claimed a QB could overcome truly horrendous coaching. They had the same problems at the beginning of this year and then suddenly Rivera learned his lesson and now they're winning.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Grozz Nuy posted:

Tony Romo is better than Matt Ryan by a lot and the Cowboys have frequently missed the playoffs throughout his long tenure as a starter.

This is the part where I also point out that he wasn't even drafted. The idea that GMs can just magic a guaranteed starter-quality QB out of the first round of the draft if they just want it bad enough is ludicrous.

Tony Romo is the only reason the Cowboys haven't been a bottom five team for the past six years. The fact that they've been consistently at or above .500 is a loving miracle.

It's not magic it's playing the odds. I already explained this. If you decide that a good QB is your best chance for winning what is your best chance for getting a QB? Notice I said BEST chance, BEST not guaranteed, not magic, BEST chance, as in BETTER than a second round pick or a third or a sixth or a loving UDFA. BEST CHANCE. That is why you draft the best QB in the draft if given the opportunity.

bhsman posted:

Newton has as much to do with the team's success this year as the defense. Without that, they aren't beating San Fran or New England, and potentially New Orleans.

His quality of play while good, would still have been wasted at times without the massive improvement in coaching. It's the single biggest change from last season/early this year to now. Obviously Newton is a huge reason they're winning, that's the entire argument I'm making. I'm merely pointing out the reason it's taken so long is that the coach finally got out of his way.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

bhsman posted:

You're not the only one playing the odds, though; I genuinely think that adding Clowney and improving the defense WHILE grabbing a second-round QB like Boyd. Are we really, truly hamstringing ourselves by giving the defense another playmaker while drafting the guy who overcame LSU's 2012 defense with the help of our first round wideout that we drafted last year?

I doubt Boyd will be there in the second. Look at how inflated QBs have gotten in the past few drafts. EJ loving Manuel went in the first last year.

Grozz Nuy posted:

The best QB in this draft isn't Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck, he's a smart, reasonably toolsy 21 year old who's had occasional struggles against pretty soft college competition. There's absolutely great upside there (what you call 'the best chance'), but let's say we compare him to say, Sam Bradford, another solid but not excellent #1 QB prospect. Is the disparity between Bradford and Case Keenum really worth passing up the opportunity to add a guy like Clowney to your team, especially when Keenum is dirt cheap and doesn't really prevent you from making different plans for the position in the future like spending #1 overall would?

These decisions are not made in a vacuum and it's really silly to pretend like they are.

When did I claim they were made in a vacuum? Or do you just love intentionally misconstruing my point? I'm not saying anything wildly crazy nor is it specific to Bridgewater vs Clowney, although personally I'd prefer Bridgewater. SAS always does this, year in and year out. No one has any idea how a QB is going to perform when they get drafted. I certainly didn't anticipate Cam Newton being a decent passer nor did I expect Matt Ryan to be so consistently solid so claiming that Bridgewater is going to be Bradford-esque is useless since he'll be surrounded by wildly different talent and coaching than Bradford, plus Bradford was in some ways a much better prospect so it's not even apt comparison of skillsets.

I'll say it again since it seems to be continuously twisted. My logic is fairly simple. A QB is the most valuable position bar none therefore if I were running a team with no QB that's what I'd be going for above all else and the best chance at hitting on a QB is to draft the best one available. Again, obviously that's dependent on each team's board and style of offense, but if Bridgewater is your #1 QB and he's available then I think that you take him over anyone else. Of course if as a team you decide that Carr is the best QB on the board and he'll be available late in the 1st/early 2nd then obviously priorities change.

Quest For Glory II posted:

"Pick which generational talent gets you to the playoffs" is the dumbest poo poo I've ever read. I'm sorry.

Don't be obtuse, it's to illustrate what should be a widely accepted view at this point which is QBs are the most valuable position on the field. I don't particularly love that the rule changes have wildly inflated their worth to a team but the fact that SAS still wants to cling to the old goon obsession with building the lines forces me into first establishing that point before moving on.

EDIT: Anyway I'm tired of arguing about it. I don't expect everyone/anyone to agree but stop intentionally misconstruing the point. You think a generational DE is more valuable than the best QB on the board who is clearly not a generational talent. Ok, I get that. I disagree. I've watched my lovely team do absolutely nothing other than the 4 year stretch when we had multiple HoF and a few edge cases on the same defense and even then it took a ton of luck to get a SB. The rules have changed since then and I'd like to see more than a few years of consistent playoff appearances from my team. There is only one way to get that, other than having Ozzie be your GM. As a fan of a team who's best QB is either Brad Johnson or an old Jeff Garcia it's frustrating to watch this team bounce between mediocre/above average to utter poo poo based on a few non QB injuries since we need every single part of the team working perfectly to overcome our QB deficiency. That frustration quickly gets worse when I watch the Packers or the Colts or the loving Pats or (recently) the Saints and watch them overcome injuries to their star non-QB players or their entire defense and yet still be in playoff contention. I'm with Kawalimus. I just want a good QB and if that means drafting one every loving year so be it.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 3, 2013

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Bridgewater's completion percentage has never been lower than 64.5% and this year, at the end of the year it's 70%. His lowest YPA was 7.19 and this year it's 9.22. He's got a solid arm, acceptable size, and runs a pro style offense. He's significantly better than Geno as a prospect. He'd have been the third QB in the Luck/RG3 year but he's still awesome.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I think the Texans should go Bridgewater/ASJ. That would be such a nasty combo. I want ASJ on the Bucs but there's no way he's around for our second pick.

Now that the Bucs seem determined to play their way out of the top five I'm hoping for Sammy Watkins as the first pick. We've got virtually no speed on offense and there won't be a great DE available at our pick. I would also accept the USC WR who's name currently escapes me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

This weekends games have almost entirely reshuffled the draft order

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Browns will pick either Carr or Bortles.

It is destiny.

edit: They could probably pick both!

Carr would be good, or at least fit, in a Norv Turner offense.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Also Derek Carr is playing a very solid USC defense at 3:30 EST on ABC

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Here's your chance to see Bridgewater in action. Game starts at 6:45est against a solid Miami team.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

Have you watched a Miami game this year aside from this one? They gave up 500 yards of offense in 6 straight games to end the season including to powerhouse teams like Virginia, Pitt, And Virginia Tech.

I thought prefacing my statement would save me some grief because the only point I was trying to get across is that Miami has a terrible defense.

And if teams don't overrate his combine (they probably will) Stephen Morris probably played his way into UDFA territory.

FSU completely broke them.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Arschlochkind posted:

Ahem.

That was when we were 2-8. :banjo:

Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa :smithicide:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

What's the current draft order?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Yep, just found it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

You explain Drew Brees in home night games then.

You can just make this Drew Brees at home and welp that's not difficult to explain at all. Night vs day is likely so negligible as to be mostly your own bias.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

John Brown posted:

V-Jax owns and it continues to amaze me how he manages to get +1000k yards in Tampa when he's really the only threat in their passing game.

He's not the only real threat. It's amazing considering how terrible our offense, QB, and coach have been.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I would not be sad to get Sammy Watkins in the first. We don't have anyone with speed on the Bucs offense and hot drat is he fast.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Nawid posted:

If the Raiders end up taking him because they don't like Bortles or JFF, there's going to be too many lovely jokes.

They won't. The Raiders have desperate needs at too many positions to take a WR.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Intruder posted:

I'm not sure how you go from "Awesome QB performance allows team to overcome big deficit against better team" to "Draft any QB no matter how bad he is" but ok

I don't know why everyone is being a dick to you but I totally understand what you're saying. I watched that game and it made me want a QB capable of doing that. Alex Smith had a great day too, but we know what he's capable of and he can't put up those performances with any consistency. Luck is in his second year and is loving ridiculous. I hope the Bucs take a QB in the first, assuming a decent one is available.

The more I think about it, that game also convinced me we need a QB at least on Alex Smith's level. Solid enough to get you to the playoffs and with just a tiny bit of help from the supporting cast, able to beat good teams.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Intruder posted:

Well bhsman is pretty invested in Clowney so I can see why he's so angry that I've hitched my wagon to a QB, but he seems to think I'm on the "DRAFT ANY QUARTERBACK" wagon as if Bridgewater isn't also a stud. It's not like Clowney is Reggie White or something

In his defense the only teams that made Luck look bad this year all had ridiculous pass rushes.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I actually said this while talking about football to someone. "Miami beat Indy only because they had a decent pass rush. They only sacked him three times, but if it wasn't for Andrew Luck being so goddamn elusive, they would have gotten 7-8. No joke.

Yea same with the Colts/Rams game. He's a slippery gently caress but with a heavy pass rush you can stop him. Problem is only a handful of teams can do that and that's with his terrible o-line. God he's going to dominate the league isn't he?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Coldforge posted:

After hearing a lot of hype over Kelvin Benjamin, I came away from that championship game extremely unimpressed.

He reminds me of Braylon Edwards. Tons of physical talent, makes circus catches, completely whiffs on easy poo poo.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

FSU has too many to work out, just know that we have Darnell Dockett and Anquan Boldin.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I love Aaron Donald. He'd be a great fit in the Bucs 4-3 under Lovie. They don't need him since they still have Gerald McCoy but ugh he's such a good fit.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Shrimpy posted:

I didn't see this posted anywhere in the thread:

https://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/426094431133908992

This is actually a small twist on a question that used to be a part of creativity tests. I remember reading about it at some point. It was an alternate method of intelligence testing as opposed to strict IQ tests. For instance the question they posed was "What uses does a brick have?" They'd get geniuses who'd answer with a brick's strictly utilitarian uses like building things but then you'd get responses like these:

Throwing through windows, holding down a picnic blanket, propping up a broken coffee table, door stop, parking brake for my car, weapon, as a weight to sink things in water, bug smasher, level, seed starter for plants, fireplace, bottle opener, drink stand when outside, test gravity, noise maker, nut cracker, and so on

It's a fun thought experiment but I don't know how useful it is.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Senior Bowl is starting soon but Mayock isn't there because of a family emergency.

EFB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Tahj Boyd just intercepted by FS Lofton out of LSU. Awful pass that deserved to be a pick but still a decent play on the ball by Lofton.

That was a terrible throw to a wide open receiver.

Carr looks decent but I wish they'd have him throw it downfield. I don't want to watch him throw 5 WR screens.

• Locked thread