Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'm surprised Jarvis Landry didn't make the list; great route-runner and catches everything. Reminds me a lot of Anquan Bolden in how he attacks the ball.

I mean, look at him:

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Spoilers: The Texans will draft Johnny Football

I actually want this to happen. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Arschlochkind posted:

I kinda do too. But I also kinda want us to take Carr just for the :psyberger:-storm. Give him #8.

Nah, the plan is to draft Manziel and give him the #1 jersey so the old grumpy fans still upset at the "Bulls on Parade" meme will be even more upset. :devil:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

Texans fan here...it's been a couple of years since I've posted in this thread so early into the season. I look forward to posting alongside Giants, Jaguars, Browns, Vikings and Bucs fans. Whose someone the Texans can reasonably expect to drop to the 5-8 position at quarterback?

And don't you loving dare say Derek Carr.

JFF. :getin: But probably someone like Boyd if not Mariota. Even then we could stand to wait until the second round and pick up someone like Fales, Mettenberger or Murray.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Yaws posted:

Also he's intensely unlikable and I want him to fail.

Eifert Posting posted:

It's nice being in week 8 and having no idea what your team will draft. I guess DE if Johnson walks (he will).

This'll be less of a need if Montgomery ends up signing with you guys. :smith:

Emanuel Collective posted:

And its very hard to gauge just how accurate he really is in Sumlin's plug and play QB system, especially when he has a gigantic receiver to throw to all game.

Isn't this basically the same complaint that's been given to Stafford/Dalton/whomever for the past couple of years?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Drafting wide receivers in the first round owns pretty hard, guys.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SteelAngel2000 posted:

First round prospects in the third, however

:getin:

Somewhere, my friend who is a Cowboys fan nods knowingly.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If Mariota destroys Stanford I could see that being the start of a slow roll to #1 overall, with Bridgewater dropping due to poor competition.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think a lot of people would expect Clowney to be used much like Mario was during Wade's first year, assuming we don't switch to a 4-3 as a result of any possible coaching changes.

EDIT: There's a LOT of people who want Jake Matthews with the 5th overall pick, though. :stare:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I'd rather trade down than spend TRIGGER WARNING, CHIEFS FANS: a top five pick on a right tackle when you can find one later in the draft.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^That's at 12, though.

Declan MacManus posted:

You may not necessarily find one and why not take the best one? He's also probably the best player at that draft slot.

Is it worth more to put Clowney or Barr next to Watt and pick a tackle in the second round? I think it would be.

The Chiefs at least had the excuse of their left tackle not signed to a new deal, whereas Houston has Duane Brown locked up for a few years.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I mean, if the thought of Watt and Clowney/Barr rushing the passer together doesn't give you a literal erect penis with the potential I don't know what to tell you.

EDIT: Seriously though, if Houston could trade down a bit to, say, #8-12 overall and could still grab Matthews? No complaints whatsoever. I just feel like a potential franchise QB/pass-rusher to set next to Watt helps the team far more than having a stud RT.

gently caress, who cares about RT if we don't replace Wade Smith, though Quessenberry will probably take his spot due to Smith's contract being up this year.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 12, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Because defense is the problem in Houston

If we can't score points, neither will you.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

You can't just make sexy picks all the time. That's not how you build for success in the long term.

Won't disagree, but I just don't see the point in taking Matthews at #5 if Clowney is available.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

Well yes but you're also assuming that Clowney is going to be there to take at #5. If he's there you take him, but that's not what bhsman said (at first). He was debating the merits of taking a right tackle top 5.

If Clowney is gone, that means someone skipped out on taking a quarterback or some rising prospect, which I would still look out before considering RT.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

Clowney's not going to be available for Houston.

Oh, odds are low, but part of it depends on whether Tampa gets a new coach/GM who wants "their guy" at QB and we see a start (assuming Houston stays at #5) along the lines of:

-Bridgewater to Jacksonville
-Mariota to Tampa Bay
-Matthews to Atlanta
-Hundley to Minnesota
-Clowney to Houston

Well then, everyone in the clown car. :bandwagon:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doctor Candiru posted:

Would Atlanta really pass on Clowney, assuming that's where they stay in the draft order? I can see Minnesota passing, because QB is a bigger need (I think they'd take Manziel before Hundley -- or, as a fan, at least I hope they would, because Hundley has never impressed me like Manziel has).

This is really premature anyway, since I'm guessing Atlanta that will probably win some more games, while Houston and Tampa are still looking really bad. Plus, some team with a huge need for a guy like Clowney would probably offer some obscene picks to trade up to get him, which obviously screws with the order some more.

I had Minnesota taking Hundley because I want Houston to get Manziel instead. :downs:

And yeah, Atlanta could just as easily take Clowney. The above was just an example of them prioritizing OT to protect Ryan and going with DE later.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You're not drafting top five Houston. Jesus, take a breath and look at your drat schedule. Atlanta is a touch more likely but they'll likely grab another 2 wins as well.

I'm not assuming they'll stay at 2 wins and drop lower than Jacksonville or Tampa, just making an assumption based on where and they and the chance that they'll stay around that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Even with Locker out for the year, I'm not feeling particularly confident about that Titans game to close out the season. This is especially true if the team continues to struggle offensively in the second half.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

BlindSite posted:

I know this wide receiver class is considered pretty top heavy, but who would be the most consistent hands wise outside of the top guys. Carolina really needs someone with consistency and I'm curious who's got the best hands.

Mike Evans seems to make a ton of circus catches with Manziel throwing to him, though Marquise Lee should be a safe bet as well.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

swickles posted:

I may be off a bit, but watching TAMU, it seems that Evans does make a few good catches, but most of his yards come from catching the ball in space and then having the opposing team miss 14 tackles.

He does that, though it helps that he's gigantic and knows how to use it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

NippleFloss posted:

Jarvis Landry from LSU is a very similar guy to Hopkins. Same build, same strengths. Not super fast, but he runs good routes and catches most anything you throw to him. Also does a pretty good job of blocking down field on running plays. It's very likely that he will be around in the 2nd or 3rd round and he could end up being a really good pickup for a team that needs a number 2 receiver.

He did this last year, which was one of the best catches of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HtPL6XxEsw

Juice is really great, and he's honestly due for a great circus catch every other game. Probably the best player on the offense.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

I'm not sure how high or low Houston will be but it seems unimaginably that they would be drafting that high. After today, I'm not so sure they can't throw the rest of their games. I imagine if the season is going that badly that we end up with that high of a pick it's going to be a QB though.

I keep harping on/joke about Manziel, but who are we looking at? Mariota? Trading down from 3/5 to the 8/10 spot and grabbing Manziel/Boyd? The biggest question is whether or not Koobs is still around in February.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

I think if Manziel declares you have to take a hard look at him because he's got a lot to work with. Mariota is another guy you have to take a long look at, and if you really tank it hard then Bridgewater has to be the guy. This will change by the time the Combine and Pro Days happen and we see what goes down in free agency but there's a few guys you can look at. There might also be some solid prospects in Bortles, Carr, and Boyd.

The staff being here at draft time is a huge question mark right now, but I think a regime change only strengthens the possibility of a new franchise guy being chosen high in the draft.

I've honestly been so high on Manziel lately that the idea that we have a real chance at Bridgewater feels so surreal. Manziel still gets the vote from me if only because he's improved as a passer this year (70% completion, greater emphasis on passing and making progressions than just scrambling, and sliding early/going out of bounds when scrambling rather than going head-first, etc.). Add to that his incredible vision and I think he could be a really dangerous passer. Plus, the dude just fuckin' loves playing football.

His game against Alabama, helped obviously by a great game by Mike Evans, proved that he has the arm strength and can still embarrass a defense full of NFL-quality talent, and the success of guys like Brees and Wilson have proven that shorter QBs can work out. If we continue along this dream scenario and hire Sumlin as head coach then going with Manziel makes all the more sense. Maybe. :ohdear:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Volkerball posted:

Haha. This is peak Manziel right from the get go. Beautiful job getting into space on a dangerous run that would have him folded over backwards in the NFL. Followed up with two perfectly placed deep balls and a TD, all against Alabama's defense. That kid has better playmaking ability than Alex Smith right now. He's just too goddamn dangerous. He's gonna have to be given time to bulk up and adapt to the physical game, because he's so tiny. He's no good broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8xVIgWEBY

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, being incredibly facetious, or both. :smith:

EDIT: FWIW I wouldn't have Manziel take so many designed runs a la RG3 in Washington, but moreso in the vein of Wilson, and he has the physical attributes to be successful at it.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 18, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Volkerball posted:

He is awesome, but he's a huge gamble. I'd be very worried if the Raiders drafted him. Look at the situation he finds himself in at 5:40. It shows how good his presence is, but they're going to be scraping him off the field if that happens and it's Geno Atkins coming down the middle onto him. Pocket quarterbacks throw it away or dump it off when they feel that kind of pressure to avoid big hits. Manziel likes to dance around with it which makes him a dynamic playmaker, but the defense is just allowed to kill him if they catch him in it. Tom Brady rules won't apply to Manziel trying to stiffarm players at the line of scrimmage and fighting for yards. I feel like that's a bad strategy for success as a QB, especially a tiny one.

No major disagreement there; that entire play was incredible to watch live but I'd rather see it coached out of him at the pro level. That said, that ability to keep the eyes downfield in the face of a defender and lob away is what I'm talking about with his vision. He got lucky that one of his own came down with that pass, though.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

Manziel is like Tony Romo but with the personality and likeability of Ryan Leaf. Bad combo if you ask me. I don't usually care about "maturity" concerns as they seem pretty unfounded most of the time but there's nothing about Manziel's offseason or early-season heel turn that says "this guy can handle the spotlight" to me.

You mean other than having the entire summer be about him, setting entirely new expectations for him as a player, and proceeding to completely shatter them? :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Were people saying the same things about Newton in 2011? Besides that one vaguely-racist article, I mean.

VVV He won the Heisman throwing a lot to Ryan Swopes last year, too, and his departure hasn't diminished Manziel's ability to throw the ball.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 18, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah because NFL teams have never passed on a talented player over things like suspicion of doing coke or possibly having a mother who is a prostitute

And these are comparable to things Manziel has done last summer, including

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Character is a bigger concern for QB than WR. You can't be a walking clownshow and succeed at QB in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure I'd be far more wary of an over-the-top diva WR than QB, and I love Chad Johnson.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

Getting suspended for "meeting with Deion Sanders and lying to the NCAA about it" is exactly on the level with "Getting disciplined for probably selling your autograph" if not less heinous so yeah

It that just means people will want Bridgewater or Mariota first, by all means. :getin: Hell, Houston took a guy accused of wiping poo poo over a hotel room (that never really substantiated beyond the actual claims themselves) in the first and they were satisfied with their own investigation. And Bob McNair harps on having a team full of good characters.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheChirurgeon posted:

It turned out not to be him in the video of a dude masturbating that got posted from his account though, right?

By his account, his girlfriend had his phone while Hopkins was in a team meeting and posted on Twitter saying as much when the video was uploaded.

She also was the first to tell him that she immediately knew it wasn't him. :rimshot:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Arschlochkind posted:

At first I think that the Texans would potentially pass on a guy like Manziel possibly because of character concerns owing to the type of team McNair likes to field. And then I remember that Manziel plays for Texas A&M.

Although I suppose part of that hinges on Kubiak's employment status after this year. But still.

I want them to draft Manziel, but counterpoint: McNair didn't go with VY, either.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Just to move things away from Manziel for a bit, I've seen a few mock drafts with the Texans now at #3 overall, with the selection being Bridgewater, then Mariota, and finally Barr or Clowney going to Houston. Barr plays in a 3-4 defense, meaning he wouldn't have to change his position, but the idea of skipping over Clowney for him seems odd. OTOH, a lot of other Texans fans are complaining (mostly out of post-Mario PTSD, justified or otherwise) that Clowney doesn't have a motor. Are there better arguments to support this or is it just thinly veiled racism?

I know Clowney has been dealing with injuries this year, but I wanted to know if there was some perspective on his play last year, as well.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Henchman of Santa posted:

Defensive line stats aren't particularly useful and teams are planning their entire offenses around staying away from Clowney, so his are down. Also people are stupid.

Oh I know that stats can't be the same, but I meant if there was any legitimate claim that he played without a 'motor' last year, as he's been dealing with injuries/stomach virus/increased national perception this year.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Somebody needs to talk me down on Mike Evans because I've been watching too much tape and the guy is beginning to look like Calvin Johnson to me.

I was thinking more Vincent Jackson.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Was Ingram indisputably good that year? I didn't really start watching college football until late 2010, and even then didn't really get into it until 2011. By that point, he had been drafted by the Saints and my roommate despised him.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

swickles posted:

Hey its never too early for a mock draft, and certainly not too early for one with 3 QB's in the top 5.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/2014-nfl-draft-report-full-first-round-mock-222745657--nfl.html

edit: And 4 in the top 7, Derek Carr :lol:

Manziel at five? I'm in. :smug:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

Just to gently caress with the fanbase I really hope the Texans have a high draft pick and draft Derek Carr.

Carr could be good but I'd rather get Manziel and own fools while trollin' the fanbase. :shepface:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

himurak posted:

You all just need to calm down and let the Jags have a 1st overall for once. Seriously we even lost the expansion coin toss. Although I thought we were .554 and Texas was .545.

gently caress that, you guys will probably trade the pick to the Falcons and Houston misses out on Clowney as a result! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bigass Moth posted:

What scenario needs to happen to ensure the Browns get the #1 pick, aside from them losing out?

Assuming we stay at 4 wins, if all other teams with currently less than 4 wins end up with that many, who has the #1 pick?

We'll take those two firsts, for starters. And Ray Horton. :devil:

• Locked thread