Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Texans fan here...it's been a couple of years since I've posted in this thread so early into the season. I look forward to posting alongside Giants, Jaguars, Browns, Vikings and Bucs fans. Whose someone the Texans can reasonably expect to drop to the 5-8 position at quarterback?

And don't you loving dare say Derek Carr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wasn't he a five star recruit across the board? I remember it being a huge deal that Missouri was able to land him...he was getting offers all across the country if I recall correctly.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Groucho Marxist posted:

Yeah. Him and Dayne Crist (lmao) were the only 5* pro style QB recruits that year.

"Kansas' 2012 football season ended with a game at West Virginia, where Crist would only play a few snaps. Many have debated that although Kansas only won one game out of twelve, it was still a successful year, seeing as they lead most of the first half versus Kansas State, who at the time was #7 in the nation, nearly beat Texas at home, who was a top 25 team at the time, and went into overtime and almost beat Texas Tech, who was also a top 25 team at the time. The other side of the debate focuses on the fact that the Jayhawks failed to win a game after labor day, and a significant reason for the poor season was the play of Crist, who finished the season with the worst Quarterback rating in NCAA Division 1A (ranked 116 out of 116 qualifying quarterbacks)."

I know scouting (especially high school scouting) is a crap shoot, but wow did they miss on Dayne Crist. 116 / 116 in quarterback rating is...well, the worst.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sam Bradford isn't that great but come on you can't compare him to JaMarcus Russell. Honestly, I wouldn't even call Sam Bradford a bust yet - he played pretty well this season and has been hovering around average to maybe a dip below average his whole career. JaMarcus and Ryan Leaf were so much worse than he is.

Even David Carr's a worse "bust" than Sam Bradford.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

JaMarcus and Ryan are 1 and 1A. Every other bust wishes they could bust as hard as those two...they're in their own stratosphere as far as I am concerned.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Jaguars beat the Texans both times.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Perhaps, but it's kind of difficult to be too confident about a 2-7 team's chance in any game, even if it is the Jaguars.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think the Cowboys should sign Jason Garrett to a long term extension - he's exactly what they need.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Let me tell you about people with the last name Carr and their poor mechanics while pressured and inability to get the ball out before being sacked.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like I should stop dreading it and just embrace the Carr experience again.

Unlike the Dolphins, when we drafted David Carr we actually DID draft the Carr family!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm getting pretty excited about Bridgewater in Houston you guys. :allears:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

A lot of scouts are calling Teddy Bridgewater to be an elite QB talent. Not on the level of a Andrew Luck, but more akin to a Matthew Stafford / Sam Bradford / Matt Ryan level of prospect. His mental game is supposed to be way ahead of everyone in his class, he progresses through his reads quickly and efficiently, and his footwork / throwing motion are supposed to be picture perfect. His two clear weaknesses are that he throws an inefficient deep ball (Still hovers around 50% over the course of three years, which isn't even that bad) and he doesn't have a cannon for an arm. By all accounts he is far above anything that came out last year and would have been the #1 pick in 2012 if he would have declared.

Honestly, if you are the Texans, and you pass up on a quarterback that's graded out to be that level of prospect, even with Clowney available and a need at pass rush, then you are the dumbest organization in the NFL and Rick Smith should be fired on the spot. If you have a chance to get a quarterback that has a good chance to be the franchise QB for the next 15 years, you draft him. Period. End of story. If the Texans suck their way to 2-14 their choice should be incredibly obvious, barring Bridgewater suddenly becoming horrible.

bhsman posted:

Would it be so much worse if we got a 2nd-round QB like Boyd or Mettenberger, though?

Absolutely. Why settle for Colin Kaepernick / Andy Dalton when you can have a chance to get the next Matt Stafford / Matt Ryan? I would *LOVE* to have either one as the QB of the Texans.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 3, 2013

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Keep in mind Andy Dalton / Colin Kaepernick is the absolute base case scenario in the recent years and Sam Bradford is the worst case scenario. And come on Matt Ryan is clearly better than Dalton or Kaepernick thus far and he wasn't even the #1 overall pick in his draft (Bridgewater is very likely going to be regarded as better than Ryan when/if he declares).

Also, Clowney only has three sacks on the year. Three! Yeah he's probably double teamed every play but so is JJ Watt and that guy continues to dominate game in and game out. His physical talent is out of this world but he's been riding off of hype for quite some time now and hasn't really produced this year.

If the Texans have the #1 pick and don't go Bridgewater (Again, assuming he continues to evaluate as an elite talent), it will be crushing to the fan base. This isn't Reggie Bush vs. Mario Williams again, you're talking about getting a franchise quarterback out of the whole thing.

And no, Vince Young was not considered to be that guy. The Texans are in such a bad need for a franchise quarterback that it completely overshadows any other need they could possibly have.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well, alright, out of morbid curiosity, if the Jaguars were picking #1 would you still say that they should take Clowney over Bridgewater? Surely you think Clowney's the guy beyond thinking Watt's on the other side and they would be this unstoppable two headed monster. Not to mention Clowney is a 4-3 DE and we play in a 3-4 base. If you try to move us to a 4-3 what guarantee do you have that Watt would be as dominating as he is now?

And on that point, to...say, Browns, Jets, Jaguars, Raiders and Vikings fans, would you also agree that you'd rather take Clowney over Bridgewater?

I'm not trying to stir anything by any means - I'm legitimately curious.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I completely agree with that Relentlessboredomm. I would certainly take Clowney over Mariota or Carr. And despite what I said I do think Clowney is the best DE prospect since, well, Mario Williams. But Bridgewater is clearly head and shoulders over everyone else in this draft and is a top 3 prospect as it is. It's not even a "reach" to draft him first.

Edit: Over everyone else in this draft as a QUARTERBACK, not in general. Sorry, should have clarified.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you guys want to talk yourself out of drafting a generational RB then you deserve everything you get

(Reggie Bush)

NOTHING in the draft is a guarantee. In my opinion, the potential of drafting a great quarterback to drafting a great defensive end is higher and worth the selection. Are you to tell me the Jaguars should take Clowney first and deal with the Henne / Gabbert show for another year? The dozen fans they have would riot!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I meant as a hypothetical...come on No Butt Stuff I thought that was implied. Not to mention if they lose to the Texans on Thursday they will very likely have the #1 pick

Edit: I'd be down with Ray Horton as the Head Coach. It's a travesty that he hasn't gotten a head coaching gig yet.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How did we lose to that team?! :suicide:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I will say that Dennis Allen coached circles around us that game. I think he'll be the head coach you guys have been desperately looking for since Gruden.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kareem Jackson is another prime example of the three year rule. Dude was historically bad his rookie year and pretty bad the second. Now, he's actually a pretty respectable second CB. He'll never be an elite cornerback, sure, but for the 20th pick in the draft I can't complain about that selection anymore. He's been as advertised.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I would take Matthew Stafford over Clowney in a millisecond.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I also view Teddy Bridgewater as a Matthew Stafford level of talent so that's why it would be extremely foolish to pass on him and get Clowney.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

IDK, Stafford has a great arm but inconsistent accuracy so directing comparing him with Bridgewater is a bit much. Bridgewater reminds me more of Matt Ryan: accurate at short and intermediate but doesn't have a great deep ball and requires a lot of talent at skill positions; doesn't elevate an offense by himself.

EDIT: For the record I'd be loving ecstatic with Bridgewater, I just really want Clowney on that line.

I'd also take Matt Ryan over Clowney.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

This line of discussion creates a fun game!

Regular season stats, 2009-2013:

Player A: 7.0 YPA, 6.6 AYPA, 4.5 TD%, 2.9 INT%, 84.2 passer rating
Player B: 7.7 YPA, 7.5 AYPA, 4.3 TD%, 2.4 INT%, 92.2 passer rating

Player A: Matthew Stafford
Player B: Matt Schaub

I've banged this drum a lot before, but Stafford is dramatically overrated as a player because he racks up pretty counting stats from throwing the ball a billion times. In 2012, what is usually considered his worst year to date, he broke Drew Bledsoe's record for pass attempts in a season.

Not to mention that the thought experiment taking a Stafford-level talent at QB first overall (which we have no way of knowing if Bridgewater would be considered, yet) over Clowney presumes a Stafford-level outcome, which is fallacious to say the least.

So are you going to tell me Matt Schaub is a better quarterback than Matthew Stafford? Because if so I'm going to laugh at you and discredit your opinion from now on. Go on, please, tell me that.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

1. The avatar is fantastic and you shut your mouth bhsman.
2. The avatar + text combo is turning out to be more correct than you and I could have even guessed.
3. Matt Stafford is 25, Schaub is 32 and on the downswing of his career. Grozz Nuy, to pull stats like that without any context behind them, is at the very least being extremely disingenuous.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

It owns, but you have to admit it was pretty impulsive. :shrug: You've also been the most extreme among Texans posters in wanting a QB, I'm just saying you should be open to the possibility of us not getting one with pick 1-1.

You're correct, I am the most extreme Texans poster that wants a QB. The Colts shouldn't be the only team that gets to a tank a year, draft a top tier QB talent, and then be good right afterwards.

But seriously, it's mostly because I consider Bridgewater to be a great quarterback talent. He's not in the Andrew Luck level, but he compares favorably in physical and mental skillset to just about any other quarterback this decade. You can't expect an Andrew Luck level talent every single year...just be glad we have a quarterback in this draft that is worthy of the #1 pick. I'm sure Chiefs fans would be THRILLED if there was a Bridgewater in last year's draft.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Every report that I can find online has Teddy Bridgewater as either the #1 or #2 overall prospect. It's not we're settling for Geno Smith at #1 here...he's an elite prospect in his own right.

"STRENGTHS: Shows very good weight distribution and passing mechanics. Steps into the face of pressure and delivers, showing admirable toughness on each snap to bounce back after big hits.
Smooth mobility to extend and move the pocket with the quickness to pick up yards with his legs if needed. Impressive accuracy and touch on throws to all levels of the field.

Quick and efficient movements in his technique and does an excellent job with fakes, selling and focusing on the details. He is poised and with very good footwork in the pocket.

Mature and grounded individual who obviously loves football. Sharp-witted and retains information extremely well. Makes it look easy on the field and appears to "get it," elevating the play of those around him.

WEAKNESSES: Although quick, Bridgewater has a lower than ideal release point with the ball shooting passed his ear. Some durability concerns after all the hits he has taken over his career, specifically to his wrist and ankle.

Room to improve his touch and ball placement on downfield throws. Strong performances in big games including against Florida in the Sugar Bowl following the 2012 season, but played mediocre talent on a weekly basis in the American Athletic Conference.

COMPARES TO: Taller Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks - NFL analysts often say that if Russell Wilson was 3-4 inches taller, he would have been a first round pick. Well, that might hold true with Bridgewater who is a similar prospect as Wilson (smart, athletic, mature, accurate) except he is taller with more prototypical height for the NFL."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1825122/teddy-bridgewater

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

Meh, they won at least one of the Bills/Rodgers-less Green Bay games, whereas I don't really see a winnable game for Houston, except maybe at Tennessee or Indy but not both. Even then, Atlanta is more likely to grab Clowney, leaving us the option of grabbing Bridgewater at #2 or trading down.

I believe we project to have a weaker Strength of Schedule than Atlanta.

Currently Altanta is at .559 and Houston is at .538.

Atlanta has:

Washington (3-10)
San Francisco (9-4)
Carolina (9-4)

21-18

Houston has:

Indianapolis (8-5)
Denver (11-2)
Tennessee (5-8)

24-15

Three game difference isn't enough at that gap. Houston should beat Atlanta on that.

Who you should be worried about is Washington. They would easily trounce Houston on SoS and the Rams would almost assuredly take Bridgewater. What a loving terrible trade that turned out to be for Washington...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mmmm....you guys may be right - I just figure if the Rams have the #1 pick it would be hard for them to turn down a franchise QB when Bradford hasn't shown enough to prove he's the guy.

They would probably take Clowney though.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

To me AJ McCarron seems like the next Ken Dorsey. I would take any other top rated QB in the draft over McCarron.

But we're drafting Bridgewater so this will be a non-issue.

Edit: Doltos, if you would be so kind would you mind giving your personal scouting report on Bridgewater and where you think he should, not will, be drafted?

Kirios fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 9, 2013

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ask the Browns how settling for the 3rd - 5th options at quarterback in a draft works out. That is the single position that you do not want to "settle" on...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Don't you guys think you're being a little hasty with Arian Foster?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm sorry, but Keenum isn't the answer. The only good quarterback option in free agency I'd be OK with is Jay Cutler and the Bears will almost assuredly resign him. It's becoming more and more clear that Bridgewater is the answer at #1.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wanvig posted:

Although it breaks my heart, I agree with you on Keenum. We just need to be careful about picking a QB at #1 overall, and I'm just not sure if Bridgewater's a franchise QB (but IMO he is the best in the draft). I'd be most happy with signing Lovie, signing Cutler, and drafting Clowney, but I'd be just as happy only getting Clowney and rolling with Keenum or free agent journeyman QB here for next season and possibly get a guy like Hundley or Mariotta the next draft.

You can't guarantee the Texans will be picking high enough next year to draft a Hundley or Mariota. In fact, I'd almost argue that there's a greater chance that they'll play themselves out of another top QB. When your team is this bad where they have a chance to get a prospect like Bridgewater...you have to take it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh man...they're comparing Teddy Bridgewater to Aaron Rodgers out of college. :stare:

Please draft him Texans!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

DangerKat posted:

I didn't watch the video but keep in mind that Aaron Rodgers was a guy who needed work on his mechanics coming into the NFL.

Which I agree with, Bridgewater has some footwork that could stand to improve. Rodgers was regarded as having all of the tools needed to succeed in the NFL...if Bridgewater is regarded as similar to that then I don't see how you can pass on a guy like that.

And no, JaMarcus wasn't that guy...he was a dude with the strongest arm we've ever seen that Al Davis fell in love with.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Here guys, before you mention that aspect of Rodgers' game coming out of college that's not what the article is comparing.

http://draftbreakdown.com/the-right-comparison-for-bridgewater/

There's the link to the article. Also, I really appreciate the videos they've spliced for each individual prospect. It's a quick and easy way to see how Bridgewater looks on almost every single throw this year. I recommend you look at it and give me an opinion on it bhsman. You're pretty down on Bridgewater so I'm curious as to what you think...considering you and I are polar opposites on what we should do with #1.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You know Texans fans, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Bill O'Brien as a head coach with Bridgewater as the franchise quarterback. :getin:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The texans are on the clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's only halftime so far, but Bortles isn't playing that well against Baylor.

• Locked thread