Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Thanks for this, Bewbies. This thread rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I don't have ESPN Insider, but where was Michael Sam ranked at for them?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

Someone else mentioned this, but however this dudes career shapes out is going to be what all future openly gay prospects will be judged against. Just like black QB's and white receivers, they are going to have to break the cycle of gay draft busts, gay mediocre contributors, or live up to the expectations of being a gay over-achiever. From completely outside the social aspect of all of this, I desperately hope this dude becomes a perennial pro bowler just to shake the foundation of what gayness in sports is perceived as. "I think he's worth a 4th. Oh wait, he's openly gay? Hmmmm, maybe we should get him in the second just to be sure no one else makes a move on him."

Edit: Always draft the gay SEC guy

I don't know man. I'm still not comfortable with my team fielding a white receiver. Maybe some other team could do it, but I don't want that distraction in the Seattle locker room.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
The first openly bigoted player was probably whoever created this dumb sport we love.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

seiferguy posted:

So to go off on a tangent, last year the Seahawks drafted with their first pick in the 2nd round a running back, despite having a good starting RB and a competent backup, as well as just acquiring Percy Harvin (before we knew that his hip as screwed). I still don't understand to this day why Seattle used that pick in that way, because Christine Michael only got garbage time reps in at RB (and he looked competent out there for what that's worth)

I'm almost to the point of believing that the Seahawks might just draft a project QB to replace Russell Wilson before he hits his payday and continue with having our cap space spent elsewhere on something besides a QB.

Because from what we saw of Michael it looks like he is the heir apparent to Lynch. That dude was amazing in the few spots we saw him in, and it is pretty obvious that if Lynch goes down he will be taking over.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

seiferguy posted:

I agree that Michael is the heir to Lynch. I just don't know how many years of Lynch we have left (my guess is two). By that point, we will have used 3 years of control for Michael of him doing nothing. And that seems like a waste.

Honestly I give Lynch this year, maybe. And I'm willing to bet Michael will be spelling him significantly.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

It's terrible to say but the wife beaters also tend to be really great players. I mean look at Lance Stephenson on the Pacers right now. Jason Kidd as well. Then we can go into baseball's wife beaters...

No. Just stop right now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Nah it's more that the red flags that cause players to drop sometimes don't have that much bearing on how talented they are on the field and that you should probably target more than a few of those guys if they drop to you late rather then going with well behaved players that are inferior athletically.

That doesn't mesh with the post you made which kicked this conversation off.

Doltos posted:

It's terrible to say but the wife beaters also tend to be really great players. I mean look at Lance Stephenson on the Pacers right now. Jason Kidd as well. Then we can go into baseball's wife beaters...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Hmm? Yes it does. I said wife beaters tend to be good players in reference to weed smokers which was in reference to finding players deep in the draft that dropped due to red flags which really kicked this conversation off. I didn't say they were good because they beat their wives which seems like an outrageous statement to make since that's not a statistically measured category in the game of football.

My dad used to toss my mom around a few times before their divorce so from a personal standpoint I hate guys that lay the wood on their wives, I'm just able to joke about it without the world ending around me.

You said wife beaters tend to be good players. Not wife beaters drop I'm the draft and then tend to be good value for their production based on draft position. The first implies that there is some correlation between wife beating and football skills.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

seiferguy posted:

You can always find good value in dudes that violate their college team's rules. The Seahawks drafted Michael Bowie in the 7th round. He would have probably been a much higher pick out of Oklahoma State, but he got kicked off the team for violating team rules (undisclosed) and had to graduate from a DII team. He's already started a few games this year.

Next time use an example of a player who doesn't suck.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

The next person who compares Bridgewater to Wilson is getting a noogie.

I too know both players are black quarterbacks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Schwack posted:

Seems like a pretty easy decision to me. Get Clowney in the first and then find your franchise quarterback in the third. No problems here.

yeah this is Seahawks chat.

Seriously though, Clowney will be really tough to pass on.

Draft Clowney and trade up for a qb. The Texans have the talent and are close enough to a win now situation that I think it can be justified.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well that explains this.

The bright lights of.. hollywood.... what

I just assumed that was about Bridgewater, cuz, you know... Nawrocki.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Disillusionist posted:

Why would St Louis take Clowney?

Because if every qb is dead you win by default.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Disillusionist posted:

- Lions fans after 2011/2013 drafts

The Rams line is better.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MonsterWalk posted:

He has the rear end and thighs of a black man.

Yeah, and no matter how many times we tell him they're not property anymore he still won't let them go.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Disillusionist posted:

Getting too caught up into one non-Quarterback player is silly. How often do generational players actually improve a team singlehandedly? Suh was a generational DT and he hasn't turned the Lions around.

Focusing on one player isn't the point. The Seahawks had the league's best defense despite not having a single player on their line that anyone would have considered a Top 5 player at his position. The Rams already have a pretty good defense that could be improved with better OLBs and safeties. They also need a lot of help on offense, which is why a LT would make sense if they're sticking with Bradford. Taking Clowney isn't going to win them more games because you're marginally improving your best unit. You're basically upgrading your backup DE spot with either Long or Clowney, depending on whoever starts, with the #2 overall pick.

Why would they want a LT? They just payed Jake Long a pretty big chunk of money to guard Bradford. Honestly I can't think of a single offensive piece worth taking #2 overall for them. They just drafted more WRs last year, and presumably whoever they draft in that position will need time to mature anyway, so he wouldn't be an immediate contributor. They seem to have found their new RB in Stacy, and they already have a TE. I don't know enough about the rest of their line to speculate on whether they need to upgrade there, but they shouldn't have to use the #2 pick for that. So really, who is actually worth that spot besides Clowney or a QB? Obviously trading down is something to think about, but I really can't see why they should pass up on Clowney.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

Lol Joe Barksdale. Also, why are people saying that the Rams suddenly have receivers because they drafted Tavon Austin last year? They had among the worst in the NFL last season until a little later in the year when they caught their stride a bit. If they couldn't trade down, Sammy Watkins would instantly be their best one, and actually has size, so if they took him at 2, it wouldn't be that big of a reach imo. It'd be better than having a rotation of loving ridiculous defensive ends.

I thought they drafted two or three guys who have a ton of potential but haven't finished developing yet. Stedman Bailey for example.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
"off-putting body language" :psyduck:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

bewbies posted:

Oklahoma Writer/Editor bewbies
Nawrocki's take: doesn't really operate well without coffee, relies far too heavily on caffeine. Was told when he was younger that he needed to try harder at stuff, never really did. Eats way too much tabouli and bacon, both are causes for concern as NFL teams might not have those options available at every meal. Needs to learn how to get out of bed more effectively, really doesn't like to get up in the morning. Body language in meetings is consistently poor, seems disinterested in whatever is going on that week that is not related to him, often is doodling or looking out the window.

Now do a Nawrocki take on Nawrocki.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Gritty, if the rams take an OT with the 2nd overall pick, I will poo poo myself.

:toxx:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Parmesan Basil posted:

I just wanted to point out how a person who went to the most illustrious school in the nation is going to try and be a long snapper in the NFL.

Why not? He will be making more than most of his class mates when he enters the NFL, and he doesn't need to be particularly physically talented to play the position.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Benne posted:

An Alabama player who falls from the 1st to the mid-rounds due to knee issues? Sounds like that's right up Pete Carroll's alley.

I'm just glad we are drafting 32nd. Now I won't be disappointed when it is a bust.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

JJ Watt put up 34 on the bench and his arms are only like half an inch shorter haha.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

God drat I thought I put enough qualifiers into that post that even TFF's SJW's wouldn't jump all over it but I guess I forgot who I was dealing with.

Dude, he raped a girl and you're talking about how he didn't have any easy decision. Who cares? His easy decision was to swallow the contents of the bottles under his bathroom sink, and he didn't have the balls to go through with it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Jesus, what's with the dog pile? Doltos is right, at least we know who it is now.

He said Sembo took a step in the right direction. What step was that? Admitting he was accused while still claiming he didn't do anything wrong? He had to do that, the teams already knew it was him because his team mates probably already told them during the interviews. Please point out one thing he has done that is a step in the right direction.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

John Brown posted:

Jumping in kinda late here but I have to ask: what is the evidence against this kid that has you all so convinced he raped her?

This is my first time hearing of this at all.

E: I'm not being an apologist. I'd just really like to know a quick set of facts that determines he's def guilty.

Declan's link does a great job breaking it down. The big problem is that we will never now because the school covered it all up and harassed the victim until she took her own life. Even if the girl was a liar (which is a ridiculous assumption) Notre Dame did every single thing wrong they could, and they did it in a malicious manner.

Declan MacManus posted:

There have been a ton of articles about it; here is a good one if you insist on reliving the gory details http://ncronline.org/news/accountability/reported-sexual-assault-notre-dame-campus-leaves-more-questions-answers

But in a nutshell everything about the case was botched and mismanaged

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Greg Robinson let SoE follow him around for the combine. He interviewed with the browns.

Why did they need the visual aid?

The real test was to see if he could assemble the triforce. He failed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nawid posted:

Vikings having Watkins, Patterson, Jennings, and Petersen would just be absurd. poo poo, my noodle arms wants to QB for that team.

All dressed up with no one to throw :sigh:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Am I the only one who finds it stupid as gently caress with them talking about the way Manziel projects in the NFL (mostly w/r/t size and the fact that he runs a lot, less so mechanics I guess) considering Russell Wilson just won the loving Super Bowl? I'm not saying he'll BE Russ, I'm just saying they used to say the same poo poo about him too (from what I remember).

Russell Wilson is overly conservative and all about making smart decisions. He's pretty much the antithesis of Johnny Football.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've seen Russell Wilson avoid the rush by running 20 yards backwards multiple times. It works out a lot because apparently he's the most difficult person to tackle on the planet, but those are still bad decisions.

Yes and sometimes Manning and Brady do dumb poo poo as well. What I meant, and didn't think I needed to spell out so precisely, is that Wilson specifically avoids throwing into double coverage, taking big hits, and emphasizes keeping the ball safe. He'd much rather go for the sure pass 5 yards down field then to go for the Hail Mary BIG PLAY that Manziel is renowned for. Not that Manziel always goes for Hail Marys, but that he is recognized for a flashy playing style that is inherently risky.

I'm not sure why you're making a point to stress that Wilson is fallible, every player is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dexo posted:

I don't.

Nick Foles had a crazy high and unsustainable TD:INT ratio.

If I could get a top 4 pick, and a 2015 first I would seriously consider it.

That ratio is a fluke, sure. But do you really think Foles can't develop into a consistent starter? Do you think it is more that Manziel will than Foles?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Vaya con Dios!!! posted:

Manziel is gonna bust harder than a goon on prom night. At least it'll be funny in a few years.

Lol goons don't have sex

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NippleFloss posted:

I never said they were the same. I said that was the dominant narrative and now that it hasn't proven true people have moved on to the next narrative which is "sure, well, it worked in COLLEGE, but it'll never work in the PROS." Maybe, maybe not, but that's just a guess, not an argument, just like "well it worked against some FCS team, but it won't work against Bama" was just a guess, not an argument. As far as the "wow" factor, who really cares as long as he's effective? If he runs for a first down and steps out of bounds instead of spinning three circles and trying to leap over a defender for an extra two yards I don't think fans of the team he's playing for are going to care that he's not wowing them with bullshit. Even if you ignore the stupid plays that magically worked out he still had a lot of smart plays that were really fun to watch.

I also think Wilson gets too much credit for being smart or heady, or whatever. He tends to leave the pocket early, he'll run back 20 yards while scrambling just to throw the ball away anyway or only pick up a few yards, and he still doesn't actually know how to slide. It's just that he's basically magic so by and large that stuff doesn't come back to bite him. He's smart, but he is by no means perfect.

The plays where he runs backwards are dumb, but they also don't result in him getting hit. He keeps the defense in front of him and makes sure he gets rid of the ball before the hit. That's the difference. No one is calling him Peyton. We are merely pointing out how smart he is about avoiding contact.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nawid posted:

If Alex Smith was in this draft would he be #1?

Nah, he's gonna be 30 before the season starts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Elotana posted:

Why are people bringing up RG3 when his knee exploded trying to recover a snap on a field that was pretty much a mud pit?

He was already injured before that, that's why his knee exploded. Also he had a nasty concussion before that as well, though Weatherspoon's hit could have been considered dirty.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NippleFloss posted:

I think that Manziel has the same instincts for avoiding pressure and the same slipperiness that Wilson has. I don't think they are broadly comparable, necessarily, but their abilities to sense and avoid defenders and keep plays alive are very similar. Russell also got put into one of the more favorable possible situations in the NFL. He has a great running back and an incredible defense to lean on, so he can afford to be conservative. I just think it's silly to talk about his mental advantages or whatever when he's being asked to do very different things than JFF.

Who said Wilson has mental advantages? A bunch of us said he plays smarter, but that just means not throwing into good coverage or taking big hits.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Toymachine posted:

They didn't like Bridgewater at all. Loved Manziel and McCarron. I guess "douchebag" is a prerequisite for being the face of the franchise for Khan.

I'd guess they're lying.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Nawid posted:

If it were really true and the Browns taking Carr is true, then if the Texans take Clowney, the Raiders can grab Teddy. Amazing.

The Browns were rumored to take Carr with their second first round pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Spoeank posted:

I for a second thought, "where did the Browns get a second first?" Then I started laughing nearly uncontrollably.

The sad part is that Richardson could be great if he weren't too stupid to run forward. He's physically outstanding.

• Locked thread