Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I love these every year, thanks Bewbies.

I heard some color guy going off on James Franklin last week (yes the week that he didn't play) about how he was going to be playing on Sundays. Do you see any chance of this/understand where he was coming from? Because I do not, even though I really like the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Obviously that stuff can still change after the declaration is made, but it still absolutely matters. I wonder how the whole Barkley debacle will affect a lot of these draft-eligible but still younger QB prospects.

Weren't people souring on Barkley before he actually declared, or is that my imagination?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grozz Nuy posted:

Yes, but the point was that he didn't declare in 2012 because he thought he would make more money if he got out from underneath the shadows of Luck and RG3, and it turned out he had a terrible senior season and lost millions of dollars. People soured on him over the course of the 2013 season, but if he had declared the prior year it wouldn't have played out that way. It's one of the biggest 'perception' hits from year to year I can remember, at least for a quarterback.

Oh, gotcha. For some reason I was thinking he still came out early even though he went back the year before, I thought he redshirted a season for some reason.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

I was pretty sure the Raiders were gonna grab a DT last year, but they grabbed a CB so what do I know? I have no idea who they grab here

I'd imagine you guys are pretty close to best player available working out no matter who it is right? I guess maybe not QB if Pryor keeps looking like he might work out.

I've made fun of your roster a lot but I honestly don't know, what positions are you guys set at if any?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

Zach Mettenberger is all arm, no brain. If you want that I'm sure you could offer up a conditional seventh for Tyler Bray.

For whatever it's worth every report I've heard is that Andy really likes him. So probably a conditional 6th at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eifert Posting posted:

I remember Gabbert being a pretty clear case of talking up some dude for no clear reason. Half of the posts in the 2011 draft thread were people asking why he was rated so high.

I don't really remember it that way beyond a bunch of "who is this guy?" posts who hadn't really seen him play. Obviously he turned out to be terrible but he clicked with just about every offseason drill you can do. The biggest knock on him was that he didn't deal with being rushed well at all (this is an understatement), and I still think is the main reason he's been awful in the NFL. I mean, at this point it's only part of the problem, but it hurt in every other phase of the game to the point where he's broken now.

But anyway, speaking just as a prospect he had a good arm, pretty damned good physical characteristics, and for whatever reason I remember his ability to read defenses/routes being sort of praised--at least as much anyone will do that with a spread QB coming out of college. Mayock had him as his #1 QB for a while, so there was something that people liked about him :shrug:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

il serpente cosmico posted:

Was Gabbert really all that productive in college, though? In his final year he put up 245 yards per game, 6.7 yards per attempt, 63% completion percentage, and 16 / 9 TD:INT ratio. Seems really pedestrian for someone that's supposed to be an elite prospect.

He was hurt with a high ankle sprain for a big chunk of that year, although I don't remember if he actually missed any games with it. It was definitely noticeable and he wasn't the same while that was going on. He threw for more yards and TDs his sophomore year, although he was more accurate as a junior with worse receivers.

So I guess I'd call him productive in general but not eye-poppingly so as far as college stats go.

e: Huh I'm remembering completely wrong, the ankle was in his sophomore year. So never mind, I guess the only difference I remember was receivers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Yeah as it turns out that's who he really is. Jacksonville has helped make that true by employing people with names like Guy Whimper to block for him, but yeah.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I checked out his this highlight reel of him in college: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfJgy8n_LA

All I see are screen passes or receivers wide open 5-10 yards from scrimmage--basically the only things he can do in the NFL. I also don't see a single clip of him in duress. It's odd to me that he was rated so highly by scouts--I don't see anything there he'd be able to hang his hat on in the NFL, and if I remember correctly some scouts were rating him higher than Cam Newton.

A lot of that is just the offense Mizzou runs (and a large part of my ongoing hatred of the WR screen comes from watching them throw those all day and have them get blown up), although you can see him dropping a few nice passes over LBs and into somewhat covered receivers there and when he decided to get rid of the ball he managed to do it quickly. I think a lot of his rise came from the combine and scouts watching him do drills outside of games but there were things there to like even in games.

e: That first Nebraska game it was just pouring all night (and that's when Suh blew up Gabbert's ankle), so that's somewhat mitigated. The second one Nebraska just beat the poo poo out of them.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 1, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Emanuel Collective posted:

eh, its more the fact that Mariota is likely to blow away Bridgewater at the combine.

Gonna have to be this now I guess. But yeah I'd think a large part beyond that will be how whoever gets the #1 pick values mobility.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coldforge posted:

Two things I hope:

Dorial Green-Beckham declares for the draft next year.

The 49ers draft him.

If you're watching today he's just been insane. He can't declare until after next year though, he's a true sophomore.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

acmpsu21 posted:

I think he goes to a Midwestern team picking in the 3-7 range.

St. Louis? I...guess that could be a possibility.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Isn't calling someone a good backup quarterback prospect calling them a bad prospect?

I've usually read that as fair to ok prospect, but doesn't have the physical tools you'd like to build an offense around.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Azhais posted:

I honestly wouldn't touch Manziel before about round 3. He's small for an NFL QB and has a lot of bad habits that will need to get beaten out of him to succeed in the NFL. That makes him a serious project that you don't spend a high draft pick on.

Yeah I lean toward the side of thinking it's ridiculous to bring up Ryan Leaf compared to Manziel with the issues but as a prospect I just don't like him all that much. He's fun as hell to watch in college though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Arschlochkind posted:

Johnny Football - 6'1", 210 lbs.

I'll believe this when he's measured at the combine, although yeah he's not like Trindon Holliday tiny or anything ridiculous like that.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Incognito was booted from the program that let Lawrence Phillips play.

Haha, yeah saying there weren't issues with Incognito only works if you're comparing him to Christian Peter.

e: Not that he's important to this conversation either way. Oops had the wrong Peter.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 18, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

True. I'm less happy about the idea of Andy Reid doing quarterback whispering than I am about getting some raw talent, even if it is a little shithead, since the Chiefs are terrible at drafting QB talent.

Can you really be terrible if you haven't tried since missing out on Marino? On the other hand there haven't been a whole lot of guys available where they were picking who would have been worth it, so maybe they've actually been good in a way at identifying a lack of talent. Of course, later on they sign those guys or trade for them so...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Somebody needs to talk me down on Mike Evans because I've been watching too much tape and the guy is beginning to look like Calvin Johnson to me.

I suspect he's a little slow by NFL standards, dude definitely knows how to go up and get the ball in coverage though based on that Alabama game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Jerry Angelo was so bad at the draft that other fan bases hated him.

What a dick

Yeah, I bet you guys were all bent out of shape that KC was on top of things and jumped in to grab...

Jon Baldwin? Jesus gently caress Pioli.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

himurak posted:

Do you think it's a definite for the Jaguars to draft Bridgewater assuming they wind up with the 1st overall? If not where are you leaning?

I think it's close to definite that they go QB in some fashion, although which one is still up in the air a little bit. Bridgewater is the favorite right now but things always get muddled after the season is over and he's not a surefire thing like Luck.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Nix from Notre Dame is pretty well thought of I think, although the only thing I know about him is watching him get shoved around a lot of the game against Alabama last year (not that Bama's line didn't have ridiculous talent on it).

Oh now that I look him up he just had knee surgery, apparently he's had tendinitis in it all season. No idea if that'll be an ongoing thing but it's something to worry about with a 6'2" 357 lb :stare: man.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MJBuddy posted:

He's like Roethelisburger.

I'm not sure where he falls behind. His decision making was amazingly better this year, he's got a massive arm, and he's big.

E: hes about 10 lbs lighter and lacks the creativity to extend plays, but he's probably going to be a high value pick where ever he lands.

Do you mean in the shrugging huge dudes off like they're nothing way or the other way? Or both? Other than getting that cheap joke in I'm actually curious, does he really throw people who should have sure sacks off of himself on the regular? I don't really remember it but I haven't watched a ton of LSU games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

E: What happens to James Franklin? Is he going to actually get drafted? He looks pretty good.

Didn't see anyone answer this, I did hear one SEC homer announcer say that 'he will be playing on Sundays' a few weeks ago but I just don't see it. He'd be a project but I guess someone might be interested in trying to stash him on their practice squad. I don't even know if he's a candidate for a position change, tight end would seem to be a possibility but he's both short for the traditional version of that position and probably a little slow for the H Back/combo version.

I figure he'll be a UDFA camp invite somewhere and if he's lucky stick around for a few years but never really play.

Also I don't see the Chiefs getting rid of Donnie Avery, we all know he sucks but he was like the only playmaker on offense other than Charles for the first half of the season when he managed to hold onto a ball here and there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Feel free to be "that guy" because I'm looking at his stat sheet, I don't watch CFB

So seriously feel free to correct me

e: is the whole "he doesn't fit in a 3-4" thing bullshit?

My impression from an outside perspective of someone who doesn't care about SC is that Clowney is ridiculous and everyone who has played against the Gamecocks this year has significantly screwed up or with their game plan to deal with him. I guess you can take this either way, either college teams were able to deal with him and he wasn't a big deal or the rest of the defense wasn't good enough to overcome a significant deal of resources devoted to one player.

It's also worth noting South Carolina isn't exactly terrible defensively.

e: Lots of Texans fans posts while I was thinking that through, yeah the Tennessee tape is probably a good starting point

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quest For Glory II posted:

"Pick which generational talent gets you to the playoffs" is the dumbest poo poo I've ever read. I'm sorry.

What if we compared them to umbrellas and/or briefcases, would that help?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

If I was a fan of a team with the hots for A.J. McCarron I'd be much more worried about the spectacular bust rate of Alabama QBs in the NFL.

Since 1980 none of them have been taken high enough to really be considered busts, more like wash outs I'd think. The closest would be a third round Brodie Croyle and after that you get into Jay Barker in the 5th who never played that I know, McElroy in the 7th and Dave Shula in the 12th. Unless you're still angry about Richard Todd somehow it looks like Bama QBs are largely ignored by the NFL like they should be.

As a side note I believe Brodie is the highest the Chiefs have taken a shot at the QB position in the draft since the immortal Mike Elkins toward the top of the 2nd in 1989.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If Smith keeps playing well enough to make me hate the receivers more than him I won't complain (although I don't expect that to happen), but I wasn't really whining. I mean I have and will complain in the future about never taking a shot on someone but in this instance I was just reminded of the Blackledge curse and it's a weird thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MJBuddy posted:

This isn't so mind blowing. The last time the saints won with a drafted qb was Danny Wuerffel. And that was only because the starter was injured and he won two games before leaving to tear it up in Europe.

11 years later? Goddamnit now I'm going to have to look aren't I?

pre:
Team		Player			Year Won  	Year Drafted  
New England	Tom Brady		2013		2000
Miami		Ryan Tannehill		2013		2012
New York J	Geno Smith		2013		2013
Buffalo		EJ Manuel		2013		2013
Cincinnati	Andy Dalton		2013		2011
Baltimore	Joe Flacco		2013		2008
Pittsburgh	Ben Roethlisberger	2013		2004
Cleveland	Brandon Weeden		2012		2012
Indianapolis	Andrew Luck		2013		2012
Tennessee	Jake Locker		2013		2011
Jacksonville	Blaine Gabbert		2012		2011
Houston		T.J. Yates		2011		2011
Denver		Tim Tebow		2011		2010
Kansas City	Todd Blackledge		1989		1983
San Diego*	Drew Brees		2005		2001
Oakland*	Terrelle Pryor		2013		2011 (supplemental)
Philadelphia	Nick Foles		2013		2012
Dallas		Stephen McGee		2010		2009
New York G*	Danny Kanell		1998		1996
Washington	Robert Griffin III	2013		2012
Detroit		Matthew Stafford	2013		2009
Chicago		Kyle Orton		2008		2005
Green Bay	Aaron Rodgers		2013		2005
Minnesota	Christian Ponder	2013		2011
Carolina	Cam Newton		2013		2011
New Orleans	Danny Wuerffel		1998		1997
Tampa Bay	Mike Glennon		2013		2013
Atlanta		Matt Ryan		2013		2008
Seattle		Russell Wilson		2013		2012
San Francisco	Colin Kaepernick	2013		2011
Arizona		Ryan Lindley		2012		2012
St Louis	Sam Bradford		2013		2010
SD*-Obviously for all real purposes it's Rivers, but if we're being technical
Oakland*-If supplemental doesn't count in anyone's mind it would be Jamarcus in 2009, drafted 2007
NYG*-Obviously the reverse of SD's *

If anyone's curious the last QB drafted by KC to win any game was Steve Stenstrom, who won one (and only one) game for Chicago in 1998.

Congrats, you have the one other real instance of this in the league which was more than a full goddamned decade later than KC, with the draft where he was picked a full 14 years later. Way to loving go, yeah this isn't rare at all.

Now I'm whining about KC never taking a chance on anyone.

e: Christ all that work and I can't figure out how many years a decade is? I have no idea what I was thinking. Still the point is there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 4, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ok if we skip Lindley John Skelton won lots of games! Matt Lienart won many games! John Navarre...ok that never happened. But Josh McCown won games!

I don't pretend that the stat is really that important, or honestly important at all. But for MJBuddy to come in who's team is quarterbacked by Drew Brees and say 'it isn't that weird :smug:' got to me.

All I want to do is to either fall in love with a terrible quarterback the Chiefs picked in the first. Or probably really hate the team for wasting a top draft pick on a QB (I originally wrote someone but lord there's enough ammo there in other positions) for once since I was like 5 years old, is that so much to ask?

I'd settle for the Chiefs picking up a broken quarterback no one wanted who turned into Drew loving Brees for the record. I'm sure Alex Smith will be there any day.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Logan Thomas is going to need a great QB coach to be anything besides Blaine Gabbert with speed so I guess we'll see how far Trestman's QB coaching skills can go.

To use Fiz's nickname the Blinger has pretty good speed (just short of Cam if I remember right), is Logan Thomas abnormally fast as well as huge and terrible at football?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kirios posted:

I'm sure Chiefs fans would be THRILLED if there was a Bridgewater in last year's draft.

Chiefs fans would have been excited to get Schaub too (at the time, probably not Schaub now), your team is a mess but goddamn Brady Quinn and Matt Cassel. Parmesan Basil isn't as alone as he should be amongst some fans in still wanting Geno Smith even after seeing what he's done.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Daric posted:

I've watched Bridgewater all season since I go to UH and we play them. He's decent, but he's not 1st overall pick good. He barely beat a UH defense composed of freshmen and sophomores. That's not Andrew Luck levels of good.

The vast majority of first overall picks weren't Andrew Luck levels of good though. As long as he's good enough to be thought of as the best QB in this year's draft he's got a pretty solid shot of going first I'd think since there are a ton of QB needy teams up top. Unless everyone's wrong and this class isn't thought of as any better than last year's and no one goes in the first I guess.

vv--Yeah Clowney is why I said good shot instead of almost a sure thing to go first, anyone can fall in love with that guy. Aside from maybe Jacksonville.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 6, 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Brannock posted:

Why do they all have asterisks?

I was going to guess active players but Kingsbury is pretty famously, or at least prettily, not playing anymore.

e: Well I apparently skipped Timmy Chang and should have gotten nowhere near that far down the list

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The SEC didn't appear to be particularly defense-heavy this year to me. There were a few decent ones but man there were a lot of just terrible D's there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DOOP posted:

Bill'O is different. See: Matt McGloin

I...uh...I saw him last week.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

Honorable mention to Colt Brennan, shame his last name sucked so much

Whatever's below honorable mention for Colt Griffin in a different sport, he was promptly given number 45. And then was terrible like so many pitchers are.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Groucho Marxist posted:

not giving a gently caress and launching a pass into heavy coverage and getting that TD

Hmmm, so Maty Mauk #1 overall in the draft after this? I can live with that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Anyone have thoughts on Ty Zimmerman? I think Bewbies had him graded around the third round when he wrote this up and I don't really follow enough to know if he's been able to help himself any since then or not.

He sure does get mentioned a lot when K State plays though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Wanvig posted:

I wonder when people are going to believe our meltdowns and not just write them off.

Actually melting down this year helped.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tanglewood1420 posted:

Rams take him at 2 unless they trade down.

That's funny, I'd think the Rams are the team that needs him the least.

But honestly for Clowney you should probably make room, so I could see it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

thatguyclint posted:

The two quickest answers would be, "Because they don't like whoever they slot as the #2 QB in the draft (Carr, Bortles, Manziel, whoever)" or "They see Clowney as the best player in the draft." That was the reasoning for taking Joeckel over any other top prospect when they picked him #2 last year; Joeckel was #1 on their board, and an opportunity to take who they thought was the best player coming out wasn't going to pass them by.

In addition to this they just need good players period don't they? They're presumably set at LT and...I honestly don't know who else is good or expected to be good on that team. Shorts and Blackmon (if he fixes his life) at wideout I guess?

e: Posluszny too maybe. I haven't bothered to follow enough to see if he's still good

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Are you Todd McShay

I remember Roasted having some type of gift for figuring this poo poo out, but that might be based on calling one guy good and a bunch of guys bad or something.

• Locked thread