Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
^^^^ Purifoy is absolutely my #1 pick for the Niners this year.

Coldforge posted:

I'm keeping an eye on Jordan Mathews (Vanderbilt) and Brandon Coleman (Rutgers) at WR, Loucheiz Purifoy (Florida) and Quandre Diggs (texas) at CB.

Would love to see your evaluation of WRs Jared Abbrederis (Wisc) and Dres Anderson (Utah), Bewbies.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

kiimo posted:

That trade wasn't worth it for Alex Smith. But if you pretend that Marcus Cooper was part of the trade it's a steal.

In my mind, it was Alex Smith + Marcus Cooper for two 2s + Glenn Dorsey. Pretty even, I think.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Doltos posted:

I think the success rate of Florida defensive players is like 2 in 65

The Niners already have Ray McDonald and Nick Moody, so I guess they've maxed out their allotment :eng99:

Still want him.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

kiimo posted:

Has Glenn been playing well?

He was never a good fit for out defense. I see he has two sacks this year. That's half his career total in KC.

He's been fantastic. PFF's highest rated player on the Niners' defense, I think.

Edit:

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 24, 2013

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Two things I hope:

Dorial Green-Beckham declares for the draft next year.

The 49ers draft him.

vvvv Imagine this is the world's biggest sad face: :( vvvv

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 9, 2013

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Trent Baalke is apparently at the Fresno State/San Jose State game today, who beyond Carr is considered draftable on those teams?

A lot of good receivers, on both teams (Davante Adams for Fresno, Jones, Nunn, Grigsby [though he was out with injury) for San Jose). Also some defenders (big fan of Benwikere). All likely late-round-gem kind of players.

Also, Fales is amazing :swoon:

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 30, 2013

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Having seen both of them play against my lovely college team, Carr is leagues better.

This is a wrong opinion :colbert:

Carr is probably a little better, but it's largely a question of supporting cast at this point. Fales has also been bounced around between several offensive systems.

I'm also incredibly biased.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ozu posted:

Here's McShay's 1.0 mock. Accuracy isn't expected since his first mock last year had Star, Damontre Moore, and Bjoern Werner 1-3.

His 49er pick makes no sense. The D-line is over-stocked at the moment, and everyone is on an extended contract.

Azhais posted:

Walter has the same top two, but went with Clowney to Jax:

Walter's makes sense for them. CB is almost a guarantee for their first round choice.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

bhsman posted:

Hopefully this'll mean less non-TFF Texans fans un-ironically calling for Carr at #1 overall. Can you imagine the PR nightmare if they drafted him and he absolutely busted? Woof.

Texans will draft Fales and be happy with it.

Seriously, they will. Because he's awesome.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Quiet Feet posted:

So who are the big name DBs coming out this year and will any of them be available around when the Eagles are picking?

The guys I'm watching for possible 49ers picks are Gilbert, Varrett, Purifoy and Gaines. The Eagles would be in position to take any of those, I'd think.

Edit: Ward, Zimmerman and Pryor are the safeties I've watched and liked, if that's your interest.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 6, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Benne posted:

"Storm" is a top 10 football name, especially for a RB, but he loses points for the generic "Johnson." 5/10 would not draft.

You're looking at it wrong. Storm Penis is pretty drat manly.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

guggs posted:

If Clowney fell to 5th or 6th, would it be possible for the Niners to trade up like the Falcons did in 2011 for Jones? The Niners have a ton of picks, and have a deep roster. In 2011, the Falcons swapped their first rounder (26th), gave up their 2nd, and 4th picks as well as their 2012 1st, and 4th. I think they would need to give up more since Clowney is more regarded than Jones was, but I could see a team like the Raiders really needing extra picks than a top 5 guy.

This would be a very dumb thing to do, though. They're a team already coming up against the salary cap, they need a constant infusion of young (cheap) talent via the draft. They'd cripple themselves by giving up that many draft picks for one player.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

guggs posted:

Is it likely they go for a CB with their first pick?

Almost certainly. At this point (which is very early), my dream draft for the 49ers would be something like this through the first three rounds:

1. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB
2. Aaron Donald, DT/DE (from KC)
2. Jared Abbredaris, WR
3. EJ Gaines, CB (from TEN)
3. Calvin Pryor, S

WR is a need, but DB is far more pressing.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 6, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A Pale Horse posted:

So any of you draftniks who know Tedford, which QB would fit his system the best?

Tedford QBs, per Wikipedia:

Trent Dilfer
David Carr
Akili Smith
Joey Harrington
Kyle Boller
Aaron Rodgers
Billy Volek
A.J. Feeley

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

With two seconds and two thirds and like 18 billion underclassman WRs declaring this year, I think it's much safer for them to hold off on receivers until later.

Pretty much exactly my thinking. There are just so many quality WRs this year, too, there's bound to be good players left in late second, mid third round. There's quite a few in next year's draft as well, some that I actually prefer to this year's crop (Dres Anderson, Dorial Green-Beckham).

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
After hearing a lot of hype over Kelvin Benjamin, I came away from that championship game extremely unimpressed.

Of the WRs I've watched this year, only three would seem to fit the 49ers' needs (and be realistically available): Jared Abbrederis, Jordan Matthews and Davante Adams. I could also see Robert Herron, if he falls late enough. Really looking forward to the E/W game and Senior Bowl, hopefully some more will stand out.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I like Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry in addition to Matthews and Adams, haven't watched any of Abbrederis at all.

He's worth watching. Excellent route runner, good hands, fast w/good size, great downfield blocker. Hasn't been hyped much because his QB is awful.

http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=jared+abbrederis

Here he is going up against Roby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szwx3JoMQik&t=94s

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 7, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

MonsterWalk posted:

Is it me or did it go from an uniquely deep QB draft to an average QB draft really quickly?

Originally, the assumption was Bridgewater, Mariota, Hundley, Manziel, Bortles, and Carr were all declaring giving a buyer's choice option.

I feel like with Hundley and Mariota staying we're left with a much more average draft at QB, numbers-wise (not necessarily talent-wise but it could be both).

David Fales is being criminally overlooked. Doesn't have a huge arm, but makes quick reads and good decisions, and knows when to take risks. He's basically Andy Dalton without the "suck" coinflip.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Regnevelc posted:

So tackle in first. Fales in 2nd. Get at me!

He'd actually be a really good fit for Arizona, with the receivers they have, and being able to sit behind/compete with Palmer for a year (plus Arians). Scary.

edit: Being from San Jose State, he may even fall to the third or later. Small school with "weak" competition. Viewed as having regressed this year, though it was more likely because they lost their best offensive lineman, their best tight end and their HC in the off-season, and their top receiver to injury.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 8, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

50 minutes from Bob Hope to Oakland.

e:fb

vvvvv I don't know why you feel the need to argue this, Crazy, but http://howlongflight.com/burbank-oakland/ You should just be enjoying the feeling of hope right now. vvvvvvv

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 8, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Does anyone here think Kelvin Benjamin or JFF are better than they were 2 weeks ago? The whole of draft media seems to think so. Maybe you can excuse the Manziel bump because he is exciting and an early pick team (go Browns) essentially sent out a press release describing the girth of their hard-on for him. Nothing like that explains Benjamin.

He had the game winning touchdown but overall had a pretty poor game. I really can't understand how the BCS has set him up as the 4th best receiver in a really deep draft.

He looks like the next coming of Stephen Hill, to me. Runs sloppy routes, drops too many passes, best skill is basically be "be large and fairly fast."

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Quest For Glory II posted:

They were called screens, it wasn't a ton of checkdown passes. Their offense is generally screens screens screens and screens. You'll get a better idea of Carr's arm this offseason.

If you want to watch Carr in action and see a fun game, see if WatchESPN still has Fresno's loss to SJSU archived. Carr and Fales each threw for over 500 yards and 6 touchdowns. Each. You'll get an idea of the kind of offense Fresno runs and how it's more predicated towards high percentage throws, which makes the stats a little pointless to quantify IMO.

e: I guess it would be CBS Sports Network. Maybe it's not archived then, I dunno.

Hopefully this is kosher, but this guy's got the game at http://noonkick.com/2013-fresno-state-vs-san-jose-state/

Will remove if it's :filez:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Doltos posted:

Weird, might be an issue with the SA forums.

http://tinyurl.com/l79xsvk

Edit: looks like we're in dire need of people who know late round defensive talent.

This is great. Added several players and fixed the 49ers' needs.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

darkforce898 posted:

Are Rogers, Brown and Wright coming back next year? I know Brown and Wright are free agents.

I'm trying to figure out who they could draft in their position that makes sense.

WR is loaded and they can wait.
CB - they are too low to take anyone really good here

Maybe a DE?

Wright will probably back, if he's cheap. Rogers almost definitely not, and Brown is a big question mark.

My best guess is they'll trade up in the first to take the CB they like (like they did with Reid). Possibly a SS if Whitner's out of their price range.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

darkforce898 posted:

Actually don't do that. It sends me an email everytime someone updates a comment. Add a note instead.

Notes it is, sorry for the spam :(

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Shrine game team meetings so far, compiled from @draftcampbell:

New York Jets - Cornell quarterback Jeff Mathews, Coastal Carolina wide receiver Matt Hazel, Tennessee center James Stone, Lindenwood cornerback Pierre Desir and Bloomsburg offensive tackle Matt Feiler. Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Justin Ellis, Minnesota safety Brock Vereen, Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough, BYU safety Daniel Sorensen and UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh. Notre Dame linebacker Prince Shembo, Indiana tight end Ted Bolser, Wisconsin guard Ryan Groy, Pitt State wide receiver John Brown, San Jose State cornerback Bene Benwikere, Oregon State cornerback Rashaad Reynolds and Oklahoma guard Gabe Ikard.

Arizona Cardinals - Utah State cornerback Nevin Lawson and McGill (Canada) tackle Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

New Orleans Saints - Purdue cornerback Ricardo Allen, Penn State guard John Urschel and Tennessee center James Stone. Arizona State safety Alden Darby, Texas cornerback Carrington Byndom, Minnesota safety Brock Vereen, Furman guard Dakota Dozier and USC linebacker Devon Kennard.

Oakland Raiders - Purdue cornerback Ricardo Allen.

Green Bay Packers - general manager Ted Thompson spoke with North Carolina safety Tre Boston.

Denver Broncos - Fresno State guard Austin Wentworth.

Washington Redskins - Arizona cornerback Shaq Richardson, Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Justin Ellis, Boise State offensive tackle Charles Leno and Sam Houston State Timothy Flanders. Boise State offensive tackle Charles Leno Jr., Michigan State inside linebacker Max Bullough.

Cleveland Browns - Indiana tight end Ted Bolser and San Jose State wide receiver Chandler Jones. USC linebacker Devon Kennard.

Baltimore Ravens - Georgia guard Christopher Burnette.

Cincinnati Bengals - Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough.

New York Giants - South Dakota linebacker Tyler Starr.

Carolina Panthers - Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Justin Ellis.

Philadelphia Eagles - USC linebacker Devon Kennard.

San Diego Chargers - Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, Delaware defensive tackle Zachariah Kerr and Penn State guard John Urschel. Furman guard Dakota Dozier, UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh, San Jose State wide receiver Chandler Jones, San Jose State cornerback Bene Benwikere and Oregon State cornerback Rashaad Reynolds. Washington safety Sean Parker, Ball State quarterback Keith Wenning, Colorado defensive end Chidera Uzo-Diribe and Furman guard Dakota Dozier.

St. Louis - Vanderbilt cornerback Andre Hal. Oklahoma State tight end Blake Jackson, Youngstown State guard Chris Elkins and Rice cornerback Philip Gaines. USC offensive tackle Kevin Graf, Washington safety Sean Parker, Michigan State linebacker Max Bullough and UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh. UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh and South Dakota linebacker Tyler Starr.

San Francisco - Cornell quarterback Jeff Mathews. Florida State defensive lineman Demonte McAllister, Western Kentucky linebacker Xavius Boyd and McGill (Canada) tackle Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh. Arizona cornerback Shaw Richardson.

He also notes that Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo has held interviews with the Kansas City Chiefs, Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, among others.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Alouicious posted:

David Fales will take the NFL by storm

This, but seriously.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Dexo posted:

Counterpoint EJ Manuel.

Funnily enough, EJ Manuel had a really great Senior Bowl performance.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Robinson and Landry are the two guys I like, and they're probably the best fits for the Niners offense of the group as well. Although now that I think about it, that may subconsciously influence the prospects I find myself liking in the first place.

If Gilbert and Dennard are off the board when the Niners pick/they don't feel strongly enough to move up and get one of them in a trade, taking Robinson at 30 would be all right by me.

Landry looks good, but I really dislike Robinson for the Niners. Some combination (any two) of Landry, Davante Adams, Jared Abbrederis, Robert Herron and Martavis Bryant would be what I'd like to see.

Give me two of those receivers, a good CB and Jimmie Ward, and I'll be happy.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm curious to hear why you don't like Robinson. I know the track record of Penn State skill position guys isn't great, but he's been hugely productive in college and he's big but still pretty fast and good out of his breaks. I like the way he makes guys miss but keeps moving upfield after the catch (Landry does that too) and I've seen him run a lot of routes that the Niners use with their WRs a lot.

He's a guy who needs room to operate. If he has it, he's great, has amazing agility and good hands in open space. Does not seem to play well against tight, physical defense (which would be a problem for him as a Niner, obviously).

SpclKen posted:

Speaking about WR's What do you guys think about Benjamin? I saw his WR metrics and I really like him.

Think he'll be around in the late first round?

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/peshek-top-4-wr-metrics

Do not like him at all. Too raw, bad hands, bad routes. He uses his size well to box out smaller defenders, but otherwise doesn't really play like a 6'5" guy.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Been sick, and watching college games on Noonkick was obviously the best use of my time.

Have built a serious draft crush for RB Devonta Freeman and WR Martavis Bryant. Bryant would be a perfect no.2 WR for the 49ers. He looks faster in games than he seems to get credit for, has good hands and is a willing (though not great) blocker. I could see him filling the Randy Moss role from his time in SF (deep routes/decoy) and appears to be a great end zone target. His experience at Clemson would translate almost perfectly to the Niners' offense.

Freeman as a complementary back for Lattimore gives me chills (and not just from the fever). Love his feet, and a great pass protector.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What's the general consensus on Dion Bailey? It seemed like he was number 2 Safety prospect early on but I've seen very little talk about him since January began. Any hope he falls to the mid third?

Walterfootball says round 2-4, nfldraftscout says round 4, so definitely possible.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 2, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Benne posted:

Yay, 32nd pick \:unsmith:/

Now let's fire our guards into the sun. Who's supposed to be good this year?

Yankey or Sua-Filo should be there for you at 32. You'll probably take Yankey, because Pete loves his Stanford players.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

excidium posted:

I thought Jimmie Ward was supposed to be a pretty legit safety prospect?

Probably is. There's several others who may turn out to be solid starters, as well (Ladler, Reynolds, Loston, Bailey).

Safety is incredibly hard to judge, unless you know the exact system they play in.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Dion Bailey's draft stock seems to be plummeting, is there a reason for this?

Tweener, kinda slow. Don't trust anything till after the combine, though.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Donte Moncrief is looks like a really good player that is getting overlooked in this deep reciver class. Should run a 4.4, has ideal size at 6'3" 215, and pretty good hands. From what I can tell his draft stock has been supressed by a poor qb at Ole Miss who liked to throw a lot to their rookie WR.

Is there a legit reason that teams should avoid Moncrief in the 2nd round?

There's around five hundred thousand legit 2nd round receivers in this draft.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nawid posted:

It's hard to see what we have with Watson considering he's been injured the whole year.

I trust Sparano/Raiders on this. If they think Robinson is the franchise LT at #5, then I am very cool with that.

I feel like someone is going to trade up to our spot anyway.

I would not be surprised to see the 49ers make a play for that #5 spot. They could offer quite a few picks in a very deep draft to a team that has several holes to fill.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Do the Bills actually need a WR? I keep seeing them mocked one but they just drafted Robert Woods and Marquise Goodwin, not to mention Stevie Johnson still kicking around.

Think they need TEs more than WRs.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Who do you think they would want at 5? Watkins would be the only obvious top 10 guy I think makes sense, and even then the WR depth in this draft is so crazy I think they'd be better off holding onto 30 or moving up to 15 or so for Mike Evans for a fraction of the price.

Watkins or Evans. I'm not convinced Evans will last that long.

Edit: Fleshing out what I was saying, I think the 49ers' extra picks are slightly more valuable this year than they will be in future years, due to the extra large draft class.

Edit 2: Really, I think if there's one guy the Niners trade up for this year, it'll be Evans, who'll probably go in the top 10.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Who do you think they would want at 5? Watkins would be the only obvious top 10 guy I think makes sense, and even then the WR depth in this draft is so crazy I think they'd be better off holding onto 30 or moving up to 15 or so for Mike Evans for a fraction of the price.

Apparently I'm not the only one thinking that way.

• Locked thread