Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm attempting to imagine the pandemonium of a player named Haha Dix being drafted by Philadelphia. I don't know if the sports fans in this region will be able to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think they'll go defense. I mean, there's enough depth at quarterback that they might be able to find someone who can work in Chip's system with a 2nd round pick. I'm worried it'll be Logan Thomas.

Here's what a former Eagles scout has to say on the QBs this year:

quote:

Former Eagles scout John Middlekauff would be "shocked" if Fresno State senior QB Derek Carr is not a top-10 selection in May.

Middlekauff believes Carr has the "best pure passing arm" in the class and adds David's younger brother will rise from January to May. Carr will almost certainly be invited to the Senior Bowl, which will put him on an even playing field with other top senior passers.

I watched one of Carr's games (on a Friday night I think?) and I was not that impressed with his arm, I saw a couple of nice throws and a lot of mediocre ones.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Logan Thomas' arm isn't credible enough for that offense. Accuracy on short routes to keep teams from stacking the box is more important than being able to heave it downfield (which is nice but not as necessary), as is the ability to get the ball out quickly. I'd say the Eagles are more likely to take whichever of Boyd or Manziel drops to them in the second if they're going to hold out for a defensive guy in the first.
I think it's more that they'd end up in the unpalatable 12-16 range of the draft where you miss out on the top QB prospects and taking one from the next grouping would be a massive reach. It just sucks that there is no top-flight safety this year because they are really vulnerable at that position. Nate Allen's been a loving nightmare.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 24, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I think the perception of Bridgewater has been fairly steadily slipping as the season went along to where a lot of people are now considering him just in a group of good but not great top quarterbacks and not the top quarterback.
Perception is not really that important and the post-season cycle will really determine where his value is. Everyone scouting Bridgewater knew that Louisville was not going to face top competition this year. He's had only one middling game this year against Rutgers and that'll get broken down and zaprudered plenty I'm sure.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Perception of Bridgewater's place within the draft class is absolutely important if we're talking about whether he's a lock to come out.
Mmm I have bad news for every QB prospect to ever declare then; that poo poo doesn't end until your name is called on draft day. Remember the debate of whether Indy should take RG3 instead of Luck? Even with the generational talent, there's intentional clouding.

Scouts are trying to pick apart Clowney right now until there's nothing left, questioning his toughness and his effort level and his 'motor'. But that's not a reason he should stay in school for another year. It just means the bullseye on his chest is bigger because he has a bigger profile as a top pick in the draft.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

"Perception" means where he's supposed to go; if he's not supposed to go high then he won't declare.
Yeah but I don't know where this change in perception is coming from, if the scouts knew what the level of competition was gonna be. For him to drop low enough that it would be a better move to stay another year, he'd have to be showing a couple of pretty serious cracks in the armor, which hasn't happened yet. Maybe those will form as the season goes along, I dunno. The Rutgers game will give scouts some stuff to mull over, because he made a couple of mistakes in that game. But if he's given a 1st round grade then he's got to get paid.

Barkley's fall from grace was a much longer stretch of screwups. He had the awful game against Stanford, which had already hurt him, and then later had a stretch of 4 games where he threw 9 picks. I mean it all fell apart. Then on top of that, he injured his throwing shoulder in December, and was not able to perform in any of the post-season workouts. It was a whole lot of things. It went from "Alright maybe he's not the top quarterback" to "Oh wow yikes yeesh".

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 24, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everyone says the Jags are in lock for the #1 pick but the Bucs are so inept and injury riddled that they've got to be in play too. They may be a more talented team but wins and losses are not always about talent. And they're likely to be with an interim coach soon as well.

I dunno if Henne or Glennon is more likely to accidentally win a game for their team. Glennon doesn't really seem to want to try to throw aggressively and he gets worse and worse over the course of every game. But Henne is.. Henne.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Locker had an above average arm and below average accuracy and he was the #10 pick so there's obviously more to it than just those factors.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Stafford and Dalton aren't that accurate. They also aren't guys who would be a good return for a high first round draft pick.
A single first round draft pick would be fair value for Stafford. We already know what the value for a QB with elite tools is because Cutler was dealt for two first round picks and a 3rd. A first round pick, by itself, is not going to get an elite QB, if we're talking trade.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think that Stafford is a better quarterback than Cutler, no. And no one has Cutler's arm.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

euphronius posted:

Can't see the Rams keeping Bradford with two low picks like that.
What if they actually used those picks to build an offense for Bradford instead of drafting a new QB and putting him in the exact same piece of poo poo offense

I would see what the deal is with Marquise Lee's knee in postseason drills and Sammy Watkins, and I'd also look at the linemen coming out since Jake Long has been awful. Although this is the team that drafted Jason Smith, so.... well... maybe they should be careful.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 29, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All you needed to see to know Gabbert was going to be terrible in the NFL was his game against Nebraska. Holy poo poo was he bad in that game and his performance in the NFL is an exact doppleganger of that game, repeated 16 times over, every year. The complete lack of pocket awareness, the seeing phantom defenders, the bad decisions, all of it.

Look at this gorgeous statline:

17/43 - 134 YD (3.1 YPA) - 0 TD 2 INT

e: hahaha I forgot he played them twice. second verse same as the first

18/42 - 199 YD (4.7 YPA) - 1 TD 1 INT

I recognize that Nebraska had Suh and Lavonte David but you'd have to have seen the game to understand. His internal clock got completely broken and he was just a deer in headlights. He escaped pockets when the pocket was not collapsing, he'd run into sacks. I don't really know why I watched the full game to be honest. It must have been a really boring afternoon slate of games.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 1, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bewbies posted:

I realize that internet is a bastion of blowhards when it comes to the draft but this kind of ex post facto stuff really irritates me. Fortunately, we're on a forum that has archives! I'd love to see your comments back in 2009 wherein you predict Gabbert's NFL future based off of this game you've chosen to analyze.
I can't really fight you on this so I'll defer to your experience. It was actually the second Nebraska game that I had seen and not the game with Suh in the rain. I can't find many posts during the 2011 draft from myself so I guess I was more focused on the NFL lockout at the time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This was a Raiders era that made Randy Moss look like his career was over, so it's possible that JaMarcus was brought into the world's worst situation. Moss had just left the Raiders for the Patriots that very offseason when he suddenly became a superhero again.

e: oh and Oakland's OC was Greg Knapp, QB anti-guru. Need I say more?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, but it also needs to be mentioned that Gradkowski stepped into that same scheme and instantly had more success, so it's not all on them.
Not really. I mean he hadn't joined the Raiders until 2009, and he had one strong game against the Raiders and that's about it. His completion percentage in Oakland was under 55 and the team was 3-4 in his starts.

Oh yeah and I forgot. Lane Kiffin was the head coach of the Raiders when JaMarcus came in. In case I haven't made my point clear enough about how bad the Raiders organization was in 2007.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just think that absolving the Raiders of any blame is ignorant in the aftermath of how disturbingly dysfunctional the Raiders organization had become at that point. Colin Kaepernick would have no NFL career if he was drafted into a situation with Lane Kiffin as the head coach and Greg Knapp "developing" him, AND Al Davis in his most ridiculous and senile form. That photo dot gif. It was a three ring circus.

For one year, we had the Raiders and Al Davis and the Knicks and Isiah Thomas, and it was glorious.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Those guys are all poo poo. Cook has upside, but he did in Tennessee too, where he similarly disappeared for long stretches. Austin is Ted Ginn 2.0. Quick is insanely raw.

I don't mean to say it so bluntly, I guess, but the Rams are probably as bad at finding wide receiving talent as Andy Reid was in the 00s. Which is a shame considering what the Rams used to be.

e: Rams receivers have dropped 23 passes this season, according to Sporting Charts, including Tavon Austin who leads the league with 7 drops.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 4, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wario Kart 64 posted:

How did Tavon Austin become Ted Ginn 2.0 after a half season with Brian Schottenheimer? That seems like a harsh judgement done way too early
I mean he has 4 years to change my mind. But right now he does most of his movement on the field running sideline to sideline and not endzone to endzone when he's given the ball in space (or as a returner), in addition to having awful hands and not running good routes and being relatively useless in the passing game. So he's limited in how you can use him and he's not effective in the ways that you can best utilize him, in addition to being on a team with a bad OC and poor blocking for those kind of plays.

His per catch average is an anemic 6.7, which ranks 144th of 149 qualified players and is the lowest YPC for any WR. The 2nd lowest belongs to Cordarelle Patterson, whose average is 9.1. So Austin is in his own special, reserved garbage tier all to himself.

e: It reminds me of when Dexter McCluster came into the NFL, except McCluster ran a really poor 40 time so I don't think anyone was particularly shocked that his small size and lack of burst would render him ineffective as a versatile mismatch. Austin at least ran a blazing fast 4.3 so the speed is there.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 4, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because the Fever owned. I don't think anyone thought he would actually be worth a drat in the NFL but he was basically the mid-major version of Tebow.
It was mostly just fun to say his name

Who doesn't want a starting QB in the nfl named The Fever

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Listen I have my own eyeball test for the NFL Draft and its called "does this player have a cool name". Ha Ha Clinton Dix is going to be the defensive rookie of the year. Either him or Mister Cobble

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It begins.

Rotoworld posted:

One GM told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport he believes Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota will be the No. 1 pick in May's draft.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Benne posted:

It's basically all but confirmed that Hundley is staying at UCLA. Adjust your big boards accordingly.
That's the right call. He's still got work to do.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bortles already said he was going back to UCF for one more year.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I saw it mentioned offhand in a Rotoworld blurb.

quote:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl likes what he sees from UCF redshirt junior QB Blake Bortles.
Weidl singled out one "big time throw" against South Carolina, with defensive end Jadeveon Clowney in his face. "Bortles shows strong pocket presence," Weidl tweeted. "Feels press naturally and maneuvers well to buy time (and) work (through) progressions." Bortles told reporters he is returning for his final season, but that could change in January.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dont really get the red flags on Manziel's character as they neither relate to football nor indicate a future of arrests and suspensions.

If you created a policy where you won't draft any prospect who got kicked out of a party or received impermissible benefits in college, then you'd end up forfeiting your entire draft.

If Manziel was somehow an outlier for possibly receiving impermissible benefits, then fine. But that kind of belief is just sticking your head in the sand, isn't it? And it doesn't really matter to an NFL team, it has no bearing on anything.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 18, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also don't pretend like Jeff Ireland represents all GMs instead of bringing his own unique insanity to the position

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Character is a bigger concern for QB than WR. You can't be a walking clownshow and succeed at QB in the NFL.
Tell that to the Steelers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GMs really care about character which is why Richie Incognito is a fine outstanding human being and a member of a leadership council and Jonathan Martin is a soft weak pussy with "feelings"

TheChirurgeon posted:

Getting suspended for "meeting with Deion Sanders and lying to the NCAA about it" is exactly on the level with "Getting disciplined for probably selling your autograph" if not less heinous so yeah
They are on the exact same level of "who gives a poo poo"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

I've already mentioned other issues, such as the arrest and the camp issue, and I don't think it's fair to act like "this poo poo happens to everybody" when actually no, you don't hear about this type of thing happening from the majority of highly-valued prospects.
I don't really care about NCAA violations because you can become ineligible for washing someone's car according to NCAA rules. If GMs had to strike off everyone who broke an NCAA law or got some cash under the table, then there probably wouldn't be an NFL draft at all. It would just be every GM deferring back and forth until someone ends up with a penn state player.

I mean Cam Newton was the subject of massive off-field scrutiny, from an arrest for theft that kicked him down to JuCo, to accusations of taking a huge cash payout from Auburn, to having a "phony smile" and claims that he was selfish and cared only about himself. Was he or wasn't he the #1 pick still?

If 32 GMs pass on Manziel it will be because they have concerns about his ability to be a starting NFL quarterback with his size, his style of play, his work ethic, his arm strength, his footwork, etc. And they're legit concerns. And that's what I would point to first, if he were to fall to the 2nd day. Dude could get broken in half trying to reach for a first down on every play. And he is not going to be able to scramble around on every play with NFL defensive ends and linebackers chasing him down. I know he is compared to Romo a lot but Romo really does hang in the pocket a lot more than people think (and his injuries have generally come from being in the pocket as well!).

I would actually be surprised if Manziel was taken in the first round but it's not because of character, it's because as a football player he is not some unbelievable physical freak and he is extremely reckless. His vision running downfield is absolutely nuts, but a lot of his running in the NFL is going to be of the lateral fashion. And I'm always nervous about short QB prospects that are better outside the pocket.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 18, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kolb was literally concussed in his first game as a week 1 Eagles starter so we'll never really know what he could have been. His career is basically defined by his body exploding every year.

I dont really know what the point of bringing Kolb up is, though, because he, like Feeley, was traded for a 2nd round pick before really providing much of a sample size in Philadelphia.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

How the hell did people know Johnson was going to be great when he played for Georgia Tech?
You'd have to have watched him in college. He towered over every other player on the field and always had monster separation. He just clowned division 1 football. CLOWNED IT.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I figure it looked sort of liked how he's clowned NFL Football.
Just imagine the corners were on average 2-3 inches smaller and .5 seconds slower on the 40 than their NFL counterparts

I mean this is the ACC we're talking about

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Was Calvin a realistic candidate for heisman at GT? Seems like he could have been with a better QB
He finished 10th, behind Dwayne Jarrett :pwn:

quote:

1 Troy Smith
2 Darren McFadden
3 Brady Quinn
4 Steve Slaton
5 Michael Hart
6 Colt Brennan
7 Ray Rice
8 Ian Johnson
9 Dwayne Jarrett
10 Calvin Johnson

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mark Ingram.

I would hope the voters have learned their lesson since then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blitz7x posted:

I distinctly remember Crabtree being called "Generational" all the way up until right before the draft
He was considered a humongous breakout player as a freshman but I don't recall that hanging all the way to the draft. Bear in mind other wide receivers in college at the time were like... Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A wide receiver didn't break out with Alex Smith throwing to him? Now there's a surprise.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

He sucks with Luck too but we knew his hands were bad before he even entered the NFL.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's nearly the end of the season so who's ready for scout over-hype??

quote:

NFL.com's Charles Davis has heard "chatter" that some think Michigan State senior CB Darqueze Dennard is "as good a corner as they've seen since Deion Sanders."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

Trent Baalke is apparently at the Fresno State/San Jose State game today, who beyond Carr is considered draftable on those teams?
Fales is a 3rd day selection. Both QBs will get their shot in postseason practices and Combine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

NFL.com's Albert Breer spoke with one AFC college scouting director who believes Alabama senior QB A.J. McCarron is very similar to Tom Brady.

"Good size, outstanding touch on all throws, can make all the throws but only has average arm strength," the executive said. "Outstanding progression-read quarterback, makes throws to his second and third reads consistently. Doesn't turn the ball over. Winner. Mentally tough. Has the moxie and cockiness most great QBs have. Very similar to Tom Brady in stature, athletic ability, arm strength, touch..." These are all really positive traits, and obviously the unnamed evaluator is a fan. In fact, the AFC scouting director said McCarron could be the first quarterback off the board in May. Breer noted other circles see McCarron as a third rounder.
well. alright then :stare:

Is this really the state of nfl scouting? He has moxie?

• Locked thread