Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Shogeton posted:

If you ever decide on picking up new knights, I've been reading along.

I didn't know we had an audience, but I fully endorse this fellow joining us. I also vote he get two years worth of skill point d6s and some Glory to bring him in line with the rest of us, seems only fair. We can induct him into our little order during the adventure. Hell, now's not a bad time to jump in, he could be another knight of the Salisbury embassy, being sent along with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

NutritiousSnack posted:

drat, was going to post interest myself.

We just lost two people, so it makes sense to pick up two more if there's warm bodies for it. And just how many people are watching us...? :crossarms:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Shogeton posted:

I'm fine with the two of us being slightly younger knights with a bit less experience by the way. If I got it right, in this game, being younger does have its advantadges?

Well, it really depends. Generally, you play your knight until they die or their heir comes of age, whichever comes first. So, youth does give you more time to set up that heir, but you'll otherwise be playing catch-up with the rest of us. Remember, there's at least two generations of knights after this one, so it may be advisable to take whichever option provides more Glory, so your kid will start with more. Plus it means all our kids will be knighted at roughly the same time, keeping the party synced up.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Shogeton posted:

Horribly disappointing father and grandfather.

Your guy and Briant are gonna get along juuuust fine.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Shogeton posted:

All right. I got a family brewing, and I've decided my knight is gonna have Intrigue, and be Suspicious, as tension between my father's younger (and only) brother and his sons, and my widowed mother and her many siblings, with me and my five siblings (Six children in only a few years. I'm assuming one sets of twins, relatively early going into labor, dear old dad not waiting long after the pregnancy to put another bun in the oven and the last child being born months after father died) stuck in the middle. Possibly have some religious split there as well? Or would just familial bickering and suspicion be enough. Also, my character was likely born intriguingly close to the date of the wedding, so unpleasant rumors there.

Here's a question. What age should I be at the start? Just so I know whether my younger brothers and cousins would be able to be knights, or whether I should keep rerolling?

Well, older means more starting skill points, but also more pressure to get married quickly. Like, I started Briant at the maximum possible age, so I'm pretty insistent that I need to seal the deal with Sir Hywel's daughter (unless this year's adventures put me in position to get a lady of even higher status, which is looking more and more possible by the scene) this Winter.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Also, I think there might be a mistake there, as your Constitution is currently 3.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Fun fact: Elias is also the name of Briant's great-grandfather, the only ancestor he's actually proud of, so yeah he's gonna like this kid right off the bat. Anyway, his family descriptions reminded me to take a moment to point out where Briant's sundry relatives live. Sir Guy has earned his own manor, which Floridas stands to inherit, and Sir Melion inherited the manor of Briant's maternal uncle (who has been nameless up to this point). The remainder are knights bachelor. This includes Briant's other uncles. Eliot was never skillful enough to earn his own manor, and Adtherp was both a bastard (sure, he was acknowledged, but the stigma remains) and also has pretty much no force of personality. Briant's landless relatives prefer imposing upon Sir Guy's hospitality over his when necessary, for a good number of reasons.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, you okay, ibntumart? I hope it's not too much work to integrate two new players.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, uh, did everyone else give up on the game? I really hope not, I mean, yeah, it's going slowly, but it's also going really well.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, us fantasy fantasy baseball owners gotta look out for each other.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Well, except for the multi-year secret affair between Lancelot and Guineviere

Keep in mind that Lancelot was a dirty Frenchman, rather than a proper, god-fearing Englishman.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, I figure it's time for me to bug all you guys some more about the game and more importantly posting in it. And, to address the elephant in the room, despite certain accusations, you can review Briant's rolls and you'll see that they're completely honest. I felt I owed you guys an actual explanation over the "blithely ignoring it" I'm doing elsewhere, since we've been playing together for so long.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I haven't really been posting because it seems like Briant is saying everything we need to say. If I say something, I'll probably start a war with them or something, given my brilliant speeches in the past. You're our spokesman. Keep speaking for us.

And I don't think anybody actually believes you're fudging rolls. Briant's just a lucky bastard. :)

Right?! I honestly kind of want to spread the spotlight around a bit because of stuff like that fluke critical during the hunt, but Briant's two primary skills (Courtesy and Sword) also happen to be really important for getting attention. I'll try and find some way for Briant to spin the next big thing so that someone else gets all the immediate attention while he reaps some sort of long-term benefit instead, since his reputation is by now firmly cemented as "totally frickin' rad". Briant being the spokesman/de facto leader of our group is totally within Briant's plans, though, since it lets him direct the group's influence more effectively for our collective (and more importantly, his own personal) good. Your knights may not be themselves ambitious, but Briant will make you guys rich and powerful whether you like it or not. :getin:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'm still here, always ready to roll.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ibntumart posted:

I have wanted to run an epic Pendragon campaign since the first edition and the GPC ever since I came across it. We are getting to Arthur---no, to freaking Mordred---no matter what it takes!

So says the GM, so say we all!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, Epicurius, Sigimund is the guy Pellogres is attacking, Wilfrith is the guy on the horse. Which are you attacking? (say Sigismund, I totally got this horse dude covered)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ibntumart posted:

The only Saxon high-ranking enough to be worth a ransom, too! Though I have no doubt Briant will be spinning that into a "My companions and I would rather see a Saxon dead than profit by his ransom" PR campaign.

Also Hatred (Saxons) was controlling his actions, and it seemed a little cheesy to use it to kick their asses, then not finish them off like the dogs they are, as Briant would insist on doing.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Also, to be completely honest, I'm too lazy to track half a pound on my sheet, so now my money is rounded again.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Well, on top of bagging the boar, Briant's primo tracking attempt caused the hunt to be over in under an hour, not sure how much Glory that's worth for making the Silchester guys look like total chumps. Similarly, if there's any indication of how cordially we were received by King Heraut, despite being messengers of Uther, that might be worth a little extra Glory for all of us (as Briant has no intention of claiming sole credit for the feat of diplomacy, it's clear that he's already seen as the de facto leader of the group through previously distinguishing himself, so he has no need nor desire to place himself any further above his comrades).

Also, with how he's been completely nailing his Courtesy and Orate rolls, I feel like he might deserve checks in Flirting and Romance, just to represent that his silver tongue is improving all of his social skills, but that's just me lobbying for as many checks as I can eke out because I may as well ask. Actually he might deserve a check in Orate, too, he at least has used that skill.

Anyway, my solo plans are presently to take Sir Hywel up on his offer to drop by his manor and then Courtesy him in the face until he lets me marry his manors. I mean daughter. However, given his stellar performance this year, do let me know if there's anyone more wealthy or powerful Briant can go with this year, though, they'll need to still be of childbearing age (Briant is, deep down, still a family man, adhering to a vague ideal of what he felt his father should have been, so he's not one to go for camp followers). But, my guess is that Sir Hywel's daughter remains the most wealthy (once her old man keels over) lady of Salisbury.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Epicurius posted:

I don't think I have any checked skills or passions, do I? Those are just for critical successes, and I don't think I made any this year.

I feel like anyone without any other checks should at least get a check on Humble, but, there's always the Winter Phase for you to nail some skills. Use those Passions!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

If he needs some NPC backup, I'm sure Sir Floridas would be happy to join in any quest to rescue an innocent, especially for a friend of his dear cousin, Briant. Or, there's his less-overpowered relatives, Briant could probably cajole one of them (or two, for his younger brothers) into going along. It's why I made sure to write up who all my relatives are, so there'd be a few extra NPC knights that could do stuff without affecting all the knights with actual roles in the GPC.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I was inspired by my hatred of the Saxon dogs to be extra-nice in asking for permission to enter a situation where we'd probably have to kill some of them. It's a perfectly reasonable choice! It's not even my highest passion! Frankly, using my loyalty to the group when sucking up to King Heraut was way more of a stretch, but it seemed like the sort of situation where a little bit of degenerate gameplay could go a long way, and boy howdy did it ever.

EDIT: Also, not to nitpick, but all successful Passion rolls result in checks for them, crits automatically add a point and give a check. Traits will give checks towards whichever side won the roll. Also Briant got a check on Generous for giving the halfhand dude some money to fix his farm. I keep a Google doc updated with any checks I earn so I don't have to sift through the thread later. I think I'll start doing it with any money or the like I get, too, don't know why I didn't before. I know Briant got that awesome emerald ring from Uther, but I already have plans for that.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 8, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah, I suppose it would behoove us to lobby a bit for Trait checks based on behavior, given that we don't really roll them all that much.

-Energetic: Like DCB said, we all sort of charged in at the Saxons without so much as a second thought. I'd argue that's more Energetic than Reckless in Briant's case, as he had already given thorough consideration to how his combat skills might stack up against the average Saxon, and came to the conclusion that, with his fellow knights backing him up, nothing short of overwhelming numbers could pose any credible threat to him, and what was assuredly a small raiding party was not going to have numbers like that.
-Arbitrary: Briant not only did so well on the hunt more or less solely to stick it to the Silchester guys, but also pretty much told the other PCs about his various schemes, and has generally been acting specifically for the advancement of himself and his friends, though his Arbitrary is already pretty high, so I'm not really expecting it, just figure there's no harm asking.
-Proud: Despite the occasional instance of false modesty, Briant has been acting prideful more than anything else, yet his Pride score is still 10.
-Prudent: Briant has been choosing his words and actions very carefully since start of play, and since he's still at 10/10 on this meter, I feel like he could use a check in that direction.

And I was just clearing up my rationale for using the Hatred passion instead of something else. It seemed appropriate in that circumstance.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I'll do all my Winter stuff after my solo thing because there is the potential for my Glory to increase significantly from marrying into wealth and I'll want to save the big character sheet repost for after that.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, Hywel's daughter isn't yet old enough to be married. e: Certainly Briant can gain a betrothal, though... he just has to survive the next couple of years (and probably make sure both Hywel and his daughter don't get killed by Saxon raiders or pillaging knights in the meantime).

Ah, that is helpful information, and useful, because betrothals hinge almost entirely on the parents, rather than having to at least try to impress the potential bride, which has little chance of working out for Briant, given his poor skills at any actual sort of talking besides Courtesy. Hopefully my Winter d6 rolls well, so I can start diversifying Briant's social portfolio.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Oh, hey, I want to make sure before I do it, but, "loyalty" was the first thought that came to mind for what Briant would claim is the most important virtue, due to having twenty on his loyalty towards the rest of the group. Is that kosher to use as a defense? I don't wanna seem like I'm trying to cheese it, it just seemed like that sort of loyalty, colored, of course, by his other strong traits, would be what he sees as most important. Not that I don't like the idea of trying to spin Arbitrary into a positive, aggressively BSing everyone around him is kind of Briant's schtick and all.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, while everyone else finishes up their Winter adventures, is it cool if I do up my Winter Phase stuff, since my vignette's done? May as well do it now, unless there's something still to come that might affect it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Okay, so Briant has earned a whopping 118 Glory this year, before annual bonuses. However, not sure how, but my Google Doc has it as 158, which is gonna bug me for the next month because I have no idea where the extra forty came from. I could have just added the 118 to my running total from the game thread without noticing that they were actually the same numbers, but that can only explain the 25 from court at Lindsay, leaving fifteen points unaccounted for. Next year, I'm watching those numbers like a hawk, this isn't the first year I've had mystery points slip into my tabulation, the document was intended to avoid that issue. Hopefully one of you guys'll realize what went wrong. Also, if the betrothal counts as a "Unique Honor", let me know.

Anyway, time for skill rolls:
Sword: 9, no raise
Courtesy: 17, raised to 16
Hunting: 6, no raise
Arbitrary: 19, raised to 17
Proud: 12, raised to 11
Prudent: 16, raised to 11
Generous: 1, no raise
Loyalty (Knights): 3, no raise
Hatred (Saxons): 1, no raise

Now for my training. Briant doesn't really need focused training as much as he needs to be more well-rounded, and it doesn't look like he'll be making much progress this year. As it's proven a fairly critical skill of late, Briant will be practicing his oratory (by talking into a mirror, if The Sims has taught me anything).

Now, family events, the most fun part of any Winter Phase! There's been a wedding! The groom is Briant's zombie dad younger half-brother, Perin! Through several consecutive years of baldfaced scheming that has severely damaged his reputation in the long term, Sir Perin has managed to coerce an aging knight of moderate renown to give him the hand of his daughter. The knight is not as influential or as wealthy as Sir Hywel, and Perin's means have done more harm to his position than he stands to gain from the marriage. Briant is no stranger to plotting, himself, particularly in order to secure an advantageous marriage, but this wedding quite clearly shows the value of his more even-handed and subtle approach.

And, with my current annual Glory of 91 (85 from Traits/Passions, my Loyalty having gone up to 20 back in the Summer from that crit, 6 from land), Briant now has a whopping 209 earned Glory, for a new total of 2094! I shall put my bonus point into Dexterity, since the next bonus point I get, if also added to Dexterity, will bring my Movement up to 3. Besides, in terms of physical attributes, Briant's more concerned with combat than looks.

An update character sheet will be posted shortly.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Name: Sir Briant (known as "The Feckless" among those outside his range of hearing)
Religion: British Christian
Home: Newton
Family characteristic: Clever
Heirloom: Decorated Saddle

Traits:
Just/Arbitrary: 3/17
Valorous/Cowardly: 16/4
Generous/Selfish: 14/6
Energetic/Lazy: 13/7
Chaste/Lustful: 13/7
Temperate/Indulgent: 13/7
Forgiving/Vengeful: 9/11
Modest/Proud: 9/11
Prudent/Reckless: 11/9
Honest/Deceitful: 10/10
Pious/Worldly: 10/10
Merciful/Cruel: 10/10
Trusting/Suspicious: 10/10

Passions:
Loyalty (Lord): 15
Love (Family): 15
Hospitality: 15
Honor: 16
Hate (Saxons): 17
Loyalty (Party): 20

Attributes:
Size: 18
Dex: 9
Str: 15
Con: 21
App: 8

Damage: 6d6
Hit Points: 39
Unconscious at: 10
Move Rate: 2
Healing Rate: 3
Distinctive Features: Haughty Sneer, Booming Voice

Skills:
Awareness 10
Boating 1
Compose 1
Courtesy 16
Dancing 2
Faerie Lore 1
Falconry 3
First Aid 10
Flirting 3
Folk Lore 2
Gaming 13
Heraldry 3
Hunting 10
Intrigue 3
Orate 8
Play (Harp) 3
Read (Latin) 0
Recognize 10
Religion (Christianity) 2
Romance 3
Singing 2
Stewardship 10
Swimming 10
Tourney 2

Battle 15
Horsemanship 10
Sword 19
Lance 7
Dagger 5

Army:
Middle-Aged Knights: 3
Young Knights: 6
Non-lineage Men: 12
Levy: 56

Annual Glory:

Traits/Passions: 86 (Arbitrary, Valorous, Hates Saxons, Honor, Loyalty (KotH))
Land: 6

Other:

Relatives: Guy (elder uncle, father of Floridas and Gauter, most successful knight in the family), Eliot (younger uncle, childless, sees Briant as surrogate son, bit of a meddling busybody), Adtherp (middle uncle, illegitimate, more competent than he seems, but is essentially a human doormat), Gracian and Alein (twin younger half-brothers by Briant's stepmother, foolish idiots who tend to get into trouble), Perin (younger half-brother, older than the twins, illegitimate, schemes like Briant, but is more hamfisted and less scrupulous, not to mention less adept) Melion (maternal cousin, father deceased, another schemer, almost as skilled as Briant, but no real "big picture" thinking), Floridas (paternal cousin, son of Guy, practically perfect in every way, though his good nature means he has basically no ambition for upward mobility), Gauter (paternal cousin, son of Guy, reckless hothead that tends to get into trouble, though nothing remotely as stupid as what the twins get up to, and is just generally more likable, because of course Floridas' little brother is better than Briant's little brothers)

Cash in coffers: No excess liquid assets, 1 pound material (Gold ring, emerald inset)
Special assets: Betrothal to Meleri of West Lavington (daughter of Sir Hywel), the king's continued interest (unknown, but significant, value), nukalavee sword (belongs to us all, but Briant is apparently its designated keeper).

Current Glory: 2194

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 31, 2015

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Well, I think it's pretty clear at this point that I'm seeing the GPC through to the end come Hell or high water. I ain't going anywhere.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Lager posted:

I'm still in, though I need to sit down and go through the past year to figure out what I need to roll for winter.

I've only been doing it for myself, but if everyone's down for it, I can start using my Google Doc to keep track of everyone's experience checks, and make it public, so you can all keep track.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ibntumart posted:

So it's been a while... I know momentum is hard to pick back up, but I do want to see where the Knights of the Hound end up (besides, this game has gone on for a couple of years real-time---I hate to see it just fade away!).

If we're going to move forward, I'd like to get through any Winter phase stuff this weekend and start the next year. I'm about to take a swig of cold medicine, but when I'm less loopy in a few hours, I'll try to hang out in the SynIRC chat for a while tonight and tomorrow (#GPC_Chat).

I'm seeing this GPC through to the end if I have to murder Arthur and throw Excalibur back into the lake myself.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Bledri is planning on getting married? News to me. :)

I'm guessing he meant Briant.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Bledri's getting married to Briant?

We're a few centuries too early to be doing Vaudeville.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Briant is always eager to meet new lackeys friends! :getin:

I'm looking forward to the coming year, as Briant's plans are beginning to bear fruit. Now that he's secured the best betrothal he felt prudent to pursue, his current goal will be to maintain the good reputation he's built up relatively quickly, thanks to a string of especially notable accomplishments (helping Merlin, completely owning Silchester at hunting, etc.). If the right task falls to the party, he may even be able to increase it, but he's not one to rely on happenstance.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Friar John posted:

Alrighty then! Amig's back, madder than ever at Saxons! That extra point has gone into his Hate (Saxons) passion. So keep me away from Saxons.

As a fellow member of the "Has Hate(Saxons) as a Legendary Trait" Club, I believe you've reached an incorrect conclusion based on the evidence presented.

Let's murder us some Saxons. :black101:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I, for one, am looking forward to 488, wherein we have further adventures and this game continues.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, just continuing to post my unbreakable will to see this through to the end. I don't care if it's just one lone knight running around an empty Camelot acting out all the parts, we're gonna get through this campaign.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

In light of recent senseless murder events, I've thrown together a handy flowchart for Briant's decision-making process, vis-a-vis how he applies his Sword rolls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ibntumart posted:

A month since the last IC post... my apologies all and sundry. Is anyone still around who still wants to make a go of finishing the knights' current quest to guard the Praetor and besiege the Franks?

After all this time, I think the answer should be obvious. We're gonna finish this grand campaign even if our real life descendants have to finish it for us.

• Locked thread