Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Drakli posted:

Well, to be fair, Unholy-Demon-Ghost-Possessed-Jen is more likely to be attracted to Mutated-Musclebound-Mask-Possessed-Rick.

So maybe their relationship will work out okay.

You know, in a bone-snapping ogre dating a flesh-eating ghoul sort of way. Monsters together.

Except for how utterly loving awkward the mask will be on dates... and pretty much any other time he's around her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSweden
May 3, 2012
I greatly enjoyed this LP, completly turned my opinion on the game. I really enjoyed the relationship between Rick and the Mask, Jim Cummings is really what made that role. I think this would have been a really good game if it had a little more polish and fine-tuning.

Thank you for a great LP, I can't wait for your next.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Ramos posted:

Except for how utterly loving awkward the mask will be on dates... and pretty much any other time he's around her.

He can always put flesh toned make-up on the mask... and paint a big, wide, white-toothy, smiley face over the grill.

No one argues with a guy who grins all the time. Especially when he's eight feet tall, and six feet wide across the shoulders.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Scalding Coffee posted:

This To Be Continued ending is nowhere near as bad as Psy-Ops', We were the monsters.

That's the kind of positive thinking I like to see! At least Splatterhouse's ending isn't the single worst one ever, just pretty close because it's break-neck abrupt, shamelessly incomplete, and not even interesting enough that I care about where the story might have gone were it continued.

Shady Amish Terror brings up a lot of great points about why the game isn't objectively great, but I of course think it's a net positive and its flaws are precisely severe enough to give it a charm and personality that cold, sterile perfection lacks for me.

It's funny, when I gave in and got this game in the first place, it would have been ~$10 more to get the Terror Mask statue with it, but I figured I'd probably be underwhelmed by the combat system and turned off by the glitches, ultimately only playing for the novelty of a legendary children's show voice actor cursing up a storm, so I didn't want a big chunk of plastic forever reminding me of my dubious purchase. I praised my foresight as I limply pawed at every foe with my poorly-built Rick and lost all investment in the story after the Wickerman chapter, but now that I've discovered the full glory of what lies beneath the surface and I'm in the throes of LP Stockholm Syndrome, that mask calls to me...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Drakli posted:

He can always put flesh toned make-up on the mask... and paint a big, wide, white-toothy, smiley face over the grill.

No one argues with a guy who grins all the time. Especially when he's eight feet tall, and six feet wide across the shoulders.

I was thinking more along the lines of the mask's constant commentary on everything going through Rick's mind. It's pretty hard to focus on your date when your invisible friend(?) is reminding you about boobs and also hard loving much you suck at dating.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Ramos posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of the mask's constant commentary on everything going through Rick's mind. It's pretty hard to focus on your date when your invisible friend(?) is reminding you about boobs and also hard loving much you suck at dating.

Well, maybe Lenore will go on and on about devouring the flesh of her living victims so much that Jen won't notice Rick's also distracted?

I think mostly I'm amused by the (absolutely absurd) idea of this as a happy ending because Rick's stuck as a monster, but at least his girlfriend turned into a monster too, so she's not freaked out that he looks like two Arnold Schwarzeneggers fused into one Mega-Schwarzenegger then had a lovechild with Jason Vorhees.

Drakli fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 4, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Fiendly posted:

It's funny, when I gave in and got this game in the first place, it would have been ~$10 more to get the Terror Mask statue with it, but I figured I'd probably be underwhelmed by the combat system and turned off by the glitches, ultimately only playing for the novelty of a legendary children's show voice actor cursing up a storm, so I didn't want a big chunk of plastic forever reminding me of my dubious purchase. I praised my foresight as I limply pawed at every foe with my poorly-built Rick and lost all investment in the story after the Wickerman chapter, but now that I've discovered the full glory of what lies beneath the surface and I'm in the throes of LP Stockholm Syndrome, that mask calls to me...

"You really shouldn't buy, Fiend..."

And then there was nothing left but sour regrets and and empty space where a statue should be.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Very nice thread, I enjoyed it. It's a real shame more people won't see that gently caress you no gently caress you exchange because that's actually The Best.

The bizarre robo voice bit at the end is five times as unsettling than anything actually in the game, though. Yikes.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Dazzling Addar posted:

Very nice thread, I enjoyed it. It's a real shame more people won't see that gently caress you no gently caress you exchange because that's actually The Best.

The bizarre robo voice bit at the end is five times as unsettling than anything actually in the game, though. Yikes.

Oh, awesome, always glad to hear it! And yeah, "Jennifer" is one of the most upsetting things I'm aware of, so I couldn't help myself but take the opportunity to make it canon to the LP. There's actually a second half to the story at the end of the album and it's so much worse...

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Good job with the LP, it really showed how much better this game is than it seems at first glance. More importantly thanks for introducing me to Dog Fashion Disco and Polkadot Cadaver because they are amazing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This was a fun LP. I'm not sure I'd be any good at this game, so it's good to be able to watch the carnage executed by someone who knows what they're doing.

If nothing else I can't fault them for the gore effects. There's a real visceral squishiness to the whole thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought Ride the Flying Polyp was just some dumb song Kerberos made for Fort Zombie, since everything else was low budget. Still a better game than 3.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man, always disappointing when you can sorta see where a decent game just ran out of budget/time.

The voice acting in this is just great in places, from the "No Rick, gently caress YOU!" moment to pretty much any TerrorMask banter.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is something I don't quite get about the game business- do they actually end up working on the ending last? Is there some technical reason for it, or an assumption that reviewers and some players just won't get that far anyway?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Front-end the budget for the beginning to keep people interested in the game. Unfortunately, that means tutorials as well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is something I don't quite get about the game business- do they actually end up working on the ending last? Is there some technical reason for it, or an assumption that reviewers and some players just won't get that far anyway?

I'd have to see if I can dig it up, but yes, there are consistent statistics that a large percentage of people who play games never make it to the end for whatever reason. They lose interest, the wheels fall off, the game becomes too difficult, whatever. And it's pretty huge. Here's a generic CNN article that most people don't finish the games that they play: http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/08/17/finishing.videogames.snow/index.html*, and according to several other articles, the industry average is only 20% see the last level first hand (Watching an LP doesn't count). 30-40% is time to crack open the champagne

So yeah, you front load that first hour or two, because that's what reviewers will see/play and base their reviews off of.

*I will note that the big example they used was Red Dead Redemption and that most players did not complete the last mission, which if you've never played the game, is just slightly past where you might expect. John getting gunned down at the end is not the last mission.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 7, 2014

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Gizmo Chicken posted:

Good job with the LP, it really showed how much better this game is than it seems at first glance. More importantly thanks for introducing me to Dog Fashion Disco and Polkadot Cadaver because they are amazing.

Mission Achieved: Cram music down people's throats until 1 of them likes some of it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I knew you had an ulterior motive this whole time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

As others said, most stats show players don't even play all the way to the end. So it makes sense when all the polish is focused in more so the beginning. Endings tend to be an afterthought most of the time.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Now that we've completed Splatterhouse 3, we can go through all the game's alternate endings! I'll be posting them all in their entirety, redundant screens and all, along with their associated music and passwords for the full effect. Enjoy!

The first three endings we'll be seeing play this song.

Jennifer and David dead
Password: URUURU (dead Jennifer)/LILITH (mindless Jennifer)

Xbox 360

Genesis

David dead
Password: VELGAE

Xbox 360

Genesis

Jennifer dead
Password: DEPITN (dead Jennifer)/IRTACK (mindless Jennifer)

Xbox 360

Genesis

Xbox 360

Genesis

The best ending has its own unique music track.

Best ending
Password: PHENIX

Xbox 360

Genesis

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
gently caress this game, glad it is over. His family is creepier looking than the monsters.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
"As long as there is human suffering I will continue to exist!"

The Mask is a goon. I knew it all along.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So the password to have Jennifer as a mindless beast is 'LILITH'? Can't imagine that was unintentional.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Coming soon: Arena 7 with Kaboom Dragoon! Kicking off the DLC with the worst arena in the game!

Arena 7: Lost Islands (currently uploading, should be viewable in an hour or two)
Updated music playlist

I'm also going to specifically point out a song from this episode, Questionab by Rammer, which I uploded to YouTube myself for the following reasons:

1. Rammer is disbanded and obscure enough that I doubt It'll get hit with a content ID
2. I can't find any of their albums and I'm hoping to shake some info out of someone here or on YouTube
3. Their symbol is an inverted pentagram made of scythes
4. This song is about Re-Animator

So maybe give this minute-and-a-half long masterpiece some extra attention and help me find a full album by these guys!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Supposedly the final battle of Splatterhouse 3 is taking place in Rick's mind, so you are still wearing the mask and still have powers and all that. When you win, we can assume the mask breaks in the real world.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Even though it's a completely different genre, that Rabbit Junk song at the beginning of the video reminded me of Knife Party for some reason.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Creeping ever closer to the end with the return of Derek Barona in the latest arena!

Arena 8: Heart of the Mansion
Updated song playlist

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's all downhill from here, folks. Or uphill, from what I've been told of the last two arenas.

I missed it during the recording, but around the time when we were talking about Rick's bloodcovered textures, he turns to the camera and you can see almost none of his face except for two glowing yellow eyes. Kind of a neat touch, I think.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I see the arena designers took "Heart of the Mansion" literally.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I don't know if they ever really thought they were going to get a sequel or towards the end they knew they were done and decided to do another horror movie send up of the ambiguous ending/sequel bait that nothing ever comes of. It's like the first picture of Jen being a shower scene, I can't tell if it's a tongue in cheek send up or just general hackery.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
And we're back! Suffered a hard drive failure since the last video, but I'm back in business and I think it was worth waiting for the return of SamuraiFoochs!

Arena 9: Hall of Mirrors
Updated music playlist

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So... He's Rick "The Tool Man" Taylor?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone with Photoshop skills please make a magazine cover for Splatter Homes And Gardens, you would make both Fiendly and myself extremely happy. :3:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

All this, and the thing I forgot to mention in the playthrough was what 'Wanpaku' actually means: for the record, it means 'naughty', as in mischievous or rascally :eng101:

Choco1980 posted:

Well, let's see what I can do with spotting things this time around. For the record, I love this installment because it's so out there and wacky. Plus, monstas

Anyways, to clarify, if you get the "good" ending, you learn that this game is a prequel to the first/arcade installment, not a sequel. But we'll get to that I'm sure. Mighty Final Fight on the other hand came out like, 3rd in the series for it's set, and I'm pretty sure it's non-canonical. Whether or not this game is with its series is unknown.

Also, I'd like to point out that the graves that included Rick and the Pumpkin King (I have no idea where he's supposed to be from. Monster Party had a similar boss early on) are numbered like apartments. Rick's is "F. 13" Friday, perhaps?

As said, I hope I don't have to explain what's going on with the red-jacketed first mini-boss.

Those little flying things outside the house are hitodama. In Japanese folklore they're what people's souls turn into when they die. A sort of ghost. They're little floating balls of fire. I suspect they were from the same phenomenon we in the west call "Will o' the wisps".

Am I the only one thinking the hands inside the house might be a reference to Evil Dead 2? There are, of course, many other horror movies about severed hands coming to life, though usually it's either some sort of trick on the severee, or a delusion of their own. The earliest I can think of being "Mad Love" with Peter Lorre, and is very much worth your time.

As far as the doll boss goes, it's got references aplenty. You guys were right to notice the Exorcist gag. Did you think about the doll boss in the newer game? Also I think Poltergeist is an obvious one here. Also perhaps it's possible they are referencing one of the killer doll movies from the era. There's Dolls, the Charles Band film that would serve as the prototype for his future Puppet Master series, and then there's Dolly Dearest, which is sort of a girl's Child's Play type film, and the cover/poster featured the doll grimacing at the viewer in the same posture as the doll in the game. Who knows.

The spiders could just be spiders, in fact that's likely. I kinda am reminded of facehuggers a little though, but that's probably my imagination.

The figure in the door is very familiar looking to me but I just can't place it. My first guess was the "Beyond the Door" (not really) series, but that doesn't have a figure standing in it. :iiam:

As far as the chicken boss, this one's driving me crazy, as I remember a movie from then that involved a poltergeist throwing everything in a kitchen around, including sending the cooked bird out of the oven to attack, but I can't remember what it was. Clive Barker's "The Yattering and Jack" has a similar scene and was adapted for Tales From the Darkside, but I doubt that's it. I recall flying knives from the 86 movie House as well--which I have a strong unproven theory that others share that Dr. Chaos started as an nes adaptation of that movie. Also, finally for this point, around 5 years back Troma made a movie entitled Poultrygeist, a musical about a fried chicken joint opening over a Native American burial ground, resulting in chicken-human zombie hybrids.

The last observation to make is again grasping at straws, but a giant mama rat getting revenge for you killing her babies makes me think first of the 80's anthology film Nightmares, which has an installment with just such a plot. (it's also the one with Emilio Estevez fighting The Bishop of Battle)

That's all I have for this installment though

SoylentG posted:

The "doll" boss didn't tickle my horror-movie senses, but reminded me of Nuke-kubi: In japanese folklore, Nuke-kubi are women under a curse that causes their head to detach from their bodies when they sleep, flying around and causing mischief.

Drakli posted:

Say, weren't those maids wind up dolls?

That reminds me of an enemy in one of the Ganbare Goemon games. There's an old master who runs an entire clan of robot ninjas he invented. One of the enemies in his stage in one of the Famicom/SNES games is a robot maid who's only attack is tripping and spilling her tea on you.

Seem like a weird coincidence, since the Goemon games were done by Konami, not Namco or Bandai.

Then again, clumsy maids are kind of a thing in Japan. Also, robot maids.

Seyser Koze posted:

Here's those umbrella youkai. Probably better known to geeks as Kogasa Tatara from Touhou 12. :goonsay:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasa-obake

EDIT: And the feet sticking out of the lake is a reference to a famous murder mystery about a backstabbing family picking one another off over an inheritance or some such. The name escapes me at the moment. EDIT x2: It's The Inugami Family, you can see a trailer of a movie adaptation here. The relevant split-second image is at around the 40-second mark. I think it's been remade since then.

roastpork posted:

And the campground lake-boss is a really strange reference to The Burning - your typical late 70's early 80's campground slasher flick. :v:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burning_(film)

Seyser Koze posted:

The Japanese toilet god is Kanbari (who made an appearance in a couple of recent Shin Megami Tensei games). The toilet creatures might also be a reference to the movie Ghoulies, but at this point I'm seriously just googling "horror movie toilet" and posting whatever pops up.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
^^ The above post is just for the sake of convenient archival.

And indeed, archival is the next stop for the LP after this post because this final arena video is the last bit of content I have for you! I'm really pleased by the success of this thread, and at this moment, I'm especially pleased to finally be putting it behind me after nearly 10 months. Expect a new LP from me very soon!

Arena 10: The Killing Floor with Kaboom Dragoon
Playlist of arena songs

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Going to miss how SH3 should have turned out.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Thanks for an awesome LP, Fiendly. If you ever need a guest for your next LP, let me know.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Great LP through and through, Fiendly. Glad to have been able to help with it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, do you feel like that last arena really got you to use all of the Mask's power that you unlocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Glazius posted:

So, do you feel like that last arena really got you to use all of the Mask's power that you unlocked?

In the end, maybe half of the non-passive upgrades have any actual use when Rick's fully upgraded. Punching your enemies gets outclassed by any of the grab moves or splatter moves and should only be used to finish off enemies that are already nearly dead. For the record, the very last arena isn't exceptionally difficult and provides such an absurd amount of weapons that using anything else is completely optional. The important thing I learned from using all the upgrades is that everything about the Splatter Smash is excellent and better in every way than everything about the Splatter Slash. It's too bad, because I love the spectacle of the Slash and used it exclusively my first time through, but because you get the Smash so soon after the Slash, there's no reason to ever buy the Slash's upgrades except for completion.

EDIT: I guess I should shamelessly self-promote my new thread while I'm here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655310

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 6, 2014

• Locked thread