Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Seriously, the Boss fights had been kind of meh up until that last one, but boy was that pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
You'll have to excuse me if I miss much, I watched this vid on my phone today.

You were right to call it a "Boomstick"...note the familiar dress of the dead man that was carrying it...

Also, chainsaw vs. chainsaw may be nothing, or, there's two horror movies I can think of that feature such a duel: First and more obvious is Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, but lesser known is the film Motel Hell, wherein the "bad guy" (it's not a black and white situation, but he IS turning his guests into dried meats to sell to tourists) wears a big cut off pig head as a psuedo-mask. Remember, it takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's Fritters!

Again, grasping at straws here, but there was a horror movie made in the 70's known as "The Microwave Massacre"...Don't seek it out, it's dreadful. And for some reason contains a walk-in microwave to justify how the killer can use it on people.

The chairs look really familiar to me too, but I can't place them. Maybe something out of Giger's artwork? He does tend to have an anal fixation...

It's funny, watching this LP and the one for the PS2 Hellboy game, it strikes me how the two have the same exact downfalls of being horror games that are incredibly well written, drawn, and acted, with very intriguing stories, but end up being overly-tedious beat-em-ups that wear out their welcome far too soon.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Chainsaw Gutsfuck indeed. Props to you for referencing a title best never imagined.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
So far, that was the best episode, bar none. It helps that I love Lamb of God's music, and that the song fit the awesome battle quite well and had me singing along as Biggy Man was getting eviscerated. Anyways, good job on this so far.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Choco1980 posted:

You were right to call it a "Boomstick"...note the familiar dress of the dead man that was carrying it...
I was gonna note that he was lacking his other famous weapon, probably so as not to compete with Biggy Man's monopoly on chainsaws-for-hands, but that scene was so short and full of licensed music and Mask one-liners that I had to go with something more subtle.

Choco1980 posted:

Also, chainsaw vs. chainsaw may be nothing, or, there's two horror movies I can think of that feature such a duel: First and more obvious is Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, but lesser known is the film Motel Hell, wherein the "bad guy" (it's not a black and white situation, but he IS turning his guests into dried meats to sell to tourists) wears a big cut off pig head as a psuedo-mask. Remember, it takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's Fritters!
Motel Hell sounds like a really good or at least really entertaining movie. I fully intend to seek it out.

Choco1980 posted:

Again, grasping at straws here, but there was a horror movie made in the 70's known as "The Microwave Massacre"...Don't seek it out, it's dreadful. And for some reason contains a walk-in microwave to justify how the killer can use it on people.
If I was correct about the Death Bed reference in the second episode, this actually might not be that improbable a reference. As bad as this movie sounds, at least they tried to justify using microwaves for murder, unlike the much more recent Last House On The Left remake where a guy's head was put in a counter-top microwave with the door open for six seconds before it exploded...

Choco1980 posted:

It's funny, watching this LP and the one for the PS2 Hellboy game, it strikes me how the two have the same exact downfalls of being horror games that are incredibly well written, drawn, and acted, with very intriguing stories, but end up being overly-tedious beat-em-ups that wear out their welcome far too soon.
I wasn't aware of this LP and checking it out now, it's a good watch, I'm definitely gonna follow it. I feel Splatterhouse compares well to PS2-era action games, and while that's not something the game would likely take as a compliment, I like that a lot about it 'cause that was my gaming heyday and genre of choice.

Yvershek posted:

Chainsaw Gutsfuck indeed. Props to you for referencing a title best never imagined.
If anything was going to bring Mayhem's vision to life, of course it'd be Splatterhouse. Such a fun combination of words to say aloud, too.

cbx posted:

So far, that was the best episode, bar none. It helps that I love Lamb of God's music, and that the song fit the awesome battle quite well and had me singing along as Biggy Man was getting eviscerated. Anyways, good job on this so far.
I figured this one would be well-received just because the boss is so perfectly done. They had 22 years of expectations to live up to with this rematch and they disappointed no one. As I said in the video, it's a turning point after which the game really hits its stride and actually gets legitimately good for those sufficiently desensitized to its shortcomings.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ah, Biggy Man. We'll miss you, bud... Well, actually, we won't, because there's only room for one liefeldian nutjob with a mask, and that's us.

That was definitely one of the better levels in this game, and loving the references!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The fun thing about Biggy Man is always the weird meta thing he's had going on with the series and Friday the 13th. Jason Voorhees didn't actually get his iconic hockey mask until the third movie: when he showed up in the second film, he went everywhere, wearing a burlap sack over his head, just like ol' Biggy Smalls there. Cute reference already, but then you get to the chainsaw arms. Fun fact: Jason's never once used a chainsaw to kill anyone in any of the movies. He's improvised, using harpoons, roadflares, ice picks, sleeping bags, but his iconic weapon of choice has always been the humble machete. He does tend to get confused with Leatherface, however, a masked killer who made a career out of threatening people with chainsaws, to the point where any time you see a guy with a hockey mask attacking people, he'll inevitably have a chainsaw. Given that the original game is a huge love letter to 70s and 80s horror movies, it's weird that they'd make that mistake. Unless it's not a mistake. I'd bet it's probably accidental (or a classic case of 'reading too much into things'), but by having Rick face off against Biggy Man you wind up with an image of the One True Jason beating up a character who looks like a pale imitation of the real thing: Jason Voorhees, superior, fakes and wannabes, inferior!

That or it's some designer saying 'our fake Jason is better than your fake Jason'. It's hard to tell with Japanese games.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Unless the album itself is a reference (which a cursory wikipedia says otherwise), it looks like the achievement "The House That West Built" is a reference to "The House That Dead Built", the Splatterhouse (the band's) album :eng101:

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
SLATTERHOUSE: WANPAKU GRAFFITI

This kicks off what might be the most aggressively non-canon game in any series ever. Enjoy!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The Biggy Deal

Choco mentioned some of this stuff a few pages back. Good to see some more conjecture on the subject now that Biggy's been violently removed from the series for the last time.

Axe Master posted:

Unless the album itself is a reference (which a cursory wikipedia says otherwise), it looks like the achievement "The House That West Built" is a reference to "The House That Dead Built", the Splatterhouse (the band's) album :eng101:

I so desperately want there to be a reference to the Splatterhouse band in this game that I consider this true until proven otherwise. My own Google-Fu has yielded a number of similar names for things, most notably the Mother Goose rhyme "The House That Jack Built," but none of them seem a likely source for the album name. It's sort of a common turn of phrase, but c'mon, the guys making a game called Splatterhouse and filling it with metal tracks must have known there was a metal band by the same name, so it seems an unlikely coincidence. Good catch, Axe Master!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well, let's see what I can do with spotting things this time around. For the record, I love this installment because it's so out there and wacky. Plus, monstas

Anyways, to clarify, if you get the "good" ending, you learn that this game is a prequel to the first/arcade installment, not a sequel. But we'll get to that I'm sure. Mighty Final Fight on the other hand came out like, 3rd in the series for it's set, and I'm pretty sure it's non-canonical. Whether or not this game is with its series is unknown.

Also, I'd like to point out that the graves that included Rick and the Pumpkin King (I have no idea where he's supposed to be from. Monster Party had a similar boss early on) are numbered like apartments. Rick's is "F. 13" Friday, perhaps?

As said, I hope I don't have to explain what's going on with the red-jacketed first mini-boss.

Those little flying things outside the house are hitodama. In Japanese folklore they're what people's souls turn into when they die. A sort of ghost. They're little floating balls of fire. I suspect they were from the same phenomenon we in the west call "Will o' the wisps".

Am I the only one thinking the hands inside the house might be a reference to Evil Dead 2? There are, of course, many other horror movies about severed hands coming to life, though usually it's either some sort of trick on the severee, or a delusion of their own. The earliest I can think of being "Mad Love" with Peter Lorre, and is very much worth your time.

As far as the doll boss goes, it's got references aplenty. You guys were right to notice the Exorcist gag. Did you think about the doll boss in the newer game? Also I think Poltergeist is an obvious one here. Also perhaps it's possible they are referencing one of the killer doll movies from the era. There's Dolls, the Charles Band film that would serve as the prototype for his future Puppet Master series, and then there's Dolly Dearest, which is sort of a girl's Child's Play type film, and the cover/poster featured the doll grimacing at the viewer in the same posture as the doll in the game. Who knows.

The spiders could just be spiders, in fact that's likely. I kinda am reminded of facehuggers a little though, but that's probably my imagination.

The figure in the door is very familiar looking to me but I just can't place it. My first guess was the "Beyond the Door" (not really) series, but that doesn't have a figure standing in it. :iiam:

As far as the chicken boss, this one's driving me crazy, as I remember a movie from then that involved a poltergeist throwing everything in a kitchen around, including sending the cooked bird out of the oven to attack, but I can't remember what it was. Clive Barker's "The Yattering and Jack" has a similar scene and was adapted for Tales From the Darkside, but I doubt that's it. I recall flying knives from the 86 movie House as well--which I have a strong unproven theory that others share that Dr. Chaos started as an nes adaptation of that movie. Also, finally for this point, around 5 years back Troma made a movie entitled Poultrygeist, a musical about a fried chicken joint opening over a Native American burial ground, resulting in chicken-human zombie hybrids.

The last observation to make is again grasping at straws, but a giant mama rat getting revenge for you killing her babies makes me think first of the 80's anthology film Nightmares, which has an installment with just such a plot. (it's also the one with Emilio Estevez fighting The Bishop of Battle)

That's all I have for this installment though

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011
The "doll" boss didn't tickle my horror-movie senses, but reminded me of Nuke-kubi: In japanese folklore, Nuke-kubi are women under a curse that causes their head to detach from their bodies when they sleep, flying around and causing mischief.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Choco1980 posted:

Also, I'd like to point out that the graves that included Rick and the Pumpkin King (I have no idea where he's supposed to be from. Monster Party had a similar boss early on)

Yet year after year, it's the same routine
And I grow so weary of the sound of screams
And I, Jack, the Pumpkin King
Have grown so tired of the same old thing.

Bit left field, but appropriately gothic I guess?

Edit: :cripes: Posted that based on what you named the character as, before watching the video. 1989 vs. 1993, no similarity between characters, etc. etc. Employing more intensive google-fu suggests that it's a title originally given champion pumpkin growers, but which could be easily taken to refer to a literal pumpkin king.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 25, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I had never heard of that Splatterhouse game and the whole time I was sitting there going "what the gently caress is this thing? who made it and why :psyduck:"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rick is the cutest little axe murderer :allears:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It occurs to me that there's a not unfair chance that Wanpaku Graffiti might have some of its references point towards Japanese films before its time rather than US ones. Unfortunately I'm not very versed in the subject pre-90s. I know about the Evil Dead Trap films, Hausu, and I guess you can count the Yokai films of the 60's (which, incidentally, did have those fire ball spirits I mentioned in them)

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I had never heard of Dolly Dearest and looked it up. It seems an unlikely reference since Wanpaku Grafitti predates it but is a funny coincidence nonetheless.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Stoked that the lp is still going! Honestly having played through the latest title watching it again is entertaining but really drove home how grindingly reptitive it is though. Looking forward to the rest of the Wanpaku Graffiti playthrough!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just found this LP and marathoned the vids this weekend. Game seems to be a little bullshit in places, but whatever. Do the girly pics grant you any bonuses other than a quick nudie shot? And does the game pause when you get the pics or can you accidentally pick one up while fighting and then get blinded?

Also, had no idea the voice actor was Jim Cummings, but now I want to hear him and Steve Blum do a take on "Who's on First"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CzarChasm posted:

Just found this LP and marathoned the vids this weekend. Game seems to be a little bullshit in places, but whatever. Do the girly pics grant you any bonuses other than a quick nudie shot? And does the game pause when you get the pics or can you accidentally pick one up while fighting and then get blinded?

Also, had no idea the voice actor was Jim Cummings, but now I want to hear him and Steve Blum do a take on "Who's on First"

The pictures are just bragging rights, is been a while since I last collected the pictures but you only get a prompt saying 'picture get' or something like that with the actual picture just being accesible through the pause screen or the extras menu.

They do have little winks here and there (like Jen and Rick being regulars at some 'Wanpaku Grafitti' joint) and give some context to their relationship.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Pumpkin King dude looks a bit like Samhain from The Real Ghostbusters.

With the cartoon ascetic it makes sense that they might pick some cartoon bad guys.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Cute reference already, but then you get to the chainsaw arms. Fun fact: Jason's never once used a chainsaw to kill anyone in any of the movies. He's improvised, using harpoons, roadflares, ice picks, sleeping bags, but his iconic weapon of choice has always been the humble machete.

While this is a great assessment, Jason did once use a trimming saw in the New Blood (Part VII). I think that movie still came out after Splatterhouse, so it probably doesn't count.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gray Ghost posted:

While this is a great assessment, Jason did once use a trimming saw in the New Blood (Part VII). I think that movie still came out after Splatterhouse, so it probably doesn't count.

They both came out the same year (1988), but the odds of any overlap are probably nil, all things considered. Good catch though.

thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011
This is a little late, but I seem to remember there being a chainsaw duel in one of the Phantasm movies. The second one, I believe? But it's been 20 years since I last saw them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

thetrueoskar posted:

This is a little late, but I seem to remember there being a chainsaw duel in one of the Phantasm movies. The second one, I believe? But it's been 20 years since I last saw them.

You're absolutely correct and I always forget about that one. Good catch!

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Just a warning Fiendly. Motel Hell may not be quite what you're expecting. It's certainly funny but it's also a huge piece of crap.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I really appreciate all the trivia that pops up in the thread but every time I see activity here that isn't an update I get a little down.

I'd never heard of Motel Hell though, I'll have to check that out.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

NotAnArtist posted:

I really appreciate all the trivia that pops up in the thread but every time I see activity here that isn't an update I get a little down.

I'd never heard of Motel Hell though, I'll have to check that out.

I'll second Space Bat and say that it's crap. IIRC it's the kind of crap that probably would have gotten the MST3K treatment back in the day.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'd agree that Motel Hell is hardly a fantastic film, but it has several bug out crazy moments. Let me assure you, as a connoissuer of crap that I have seen far, far worse.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
The only chainsaw duel I'm familiar with is the one from the end of "Tiger on the Beat", a terrible film solely redeemed by, well, having a chainsaw duel at the end. Oh, and Chow Yun-Fat having a shotgun attached to a bungee cord so he can shoot around corners.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

Quiet Python posted:

Oh, and Chow Yun-Fat having a shotgun attached to a bungee cord so he can shoot around corners.

I'm, really trying to imagine that outside of the context of a Wile E. Coyote cartoon and failing.

By the way, thanks for doing this LP, Fiendly. I'm really loving this game... at least, watching you play it. My favorite part, of course, is Jim Cummings really selling it as a psychotic mask. His delivery is always pitch perfect. Recognizing Biggie Man, with that little nervous chuckle on the end, then going "Yeah, we're screwed," was great. I'm honestly not sure the game itself is for me, since I'm not a big horror aficionado beyond Lovecraft's stuff, so it's probably better on a watch than a play. Then again, I do enjoy the trappings of horror more than being (cat)-scared, and this has the trappings of horror in an action game so.... perhaps I'd have enjoyed playing it.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Now that you've watched a goodly chunk of the game you'll probably find few reasons to get into it, hah. Gameplay doesn't change much, though the abilities you purchase give a little variety. Fiendly seems to have proven that some abilities are better than others, though, which delineates things somewhat. It has been fun to watch someone go back through it, though.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I don't know anything about the Splatterhouse series, but I thought I'd pop in to say that I chuckle every time I see the thread title and I'm really enjoying the LP. Thanks for doing it!

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

I finally got around to doing an update, thanks for your patience!

Drakli posted:

By the way, thanks for doing this LP, Fiendly. I'm really loving this game... at least, watching you play it. My favorite part, of course, is Jim Cummings really selling it as a psychotic mask. His delivery is always pitch perfect. Recognizing Biggie Man, with that little nervous chuckle on the end, then going "Yeah, we're screwed," was great. I'm honestly not sure the game itself is for me, since I'm not a big horror aficionado beyond Lovecraft's stuff, so it's probably better on a watch than a play. Then again, I do enjoy the trappings of horror more than being (cat)-scared, and this has the trappings of horror in an action game so.... perhaps I'd have enjoyed playing it.

As much as I like this game, the LP format gives me the opportunity to present it the way the developers wanted it to be rather than the way it ended up, which is a huge improvement in a lot of ways. Glad you like it!

Garrand posted:

I don't know anything about the Splatterhouse series, but I thought I'd pop in to say that I chuckle every time I see the thread title and I'm really enjoying the LP. Thanks for doing it!

Secretly, my favorite thing about doing LPs is naming the threads. Sharing the game is just a nice bonus.

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 1, 2014

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that Cummings is really knocking it out of the park as the Terror Mask. Guy really seems to be enjoying himself.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
When do you think you'll show off more of West's journal?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

paragon1 posted:

When do you think you'll show off more of West's journal?

More journal entries will be posted with every third Phase. Next update will be accompanied by the second journal video.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
You know, I'll admit I kind of wish they'd bothered to name all the enemies in the game. It gets a bit awkward when you're saying, "That big humanoid guy whose left arm is a giant, warty, disturbingly phallic club, who has what looks like insect mandibles coming out of a worm-like head until you rip his skull out through his mouth and then it looks like they're horns on a skull that was buried into this guy up to the neck."

You know, I think I understand this indescribable horrors shtick that guys like Lovecraft use. At some point, trying to describe how an alien monster looks gets so convoluted it becomes impractical to implausible, because you can't properly relate its features to a simple parallel. It's easier to say a creature looks like a horrific bat with a humanoid body, than it is for me to verbally sort out what the heck is going on with those club-arm creature's faces.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Drakli posted:

You know, I'll admit I kind of wish they'd bothered to name all the enemies in the game. It gets a bit awkward when you're saying, "That big humanoid guy whose left arm is a giant, warty, disturbingly phallic club, who has what looks like insect mandibles coming out of a worm-like head until you rip his skull out through his mouth and then it looks like they're horns on a skull that was buried into this guy up to the neck."

You know, I think I understand this indescribable horrors shtick that guys like Lovecraft use. At some point, trying to describe how an alien monster looks gets so convoluted it becomes impractical to implausible, because you can't properly relate its features to a simple parallel. It's easier to say a creature looks like a horrific bat with a humanoid body, than it is for me to verbally sort out what the heck is going on with those club-arm creature's faces.

If it helps at all, I remember reading somewhere a while back that the weird club-arm enemy is called "Abhore" (as in abhorrent).

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Drakli posted:

I think its suppose to be a giant maggot infested some big guy, and the body of that maggot is what fills out that giant hefty arm he's swinging around. Good ol' Giant Maggot Arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'll be honest, I've got nothin' this time. I did like how even the mask hasn't got a clue where he's from. Though if I recall correctly, the Aztecs were more blood happy than the Mayans.

• Locked thread