Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Just caught up with the thread and felt this was appropriate for the sequel hook for a game that will never be made:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Suspicious Cook posted:

Just caught up with the thread and felt this was appropriate for the sequel hook for a game that will never be made:

Brilliance.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
This is a thrilling addition to the OP. Thanks Suspicious Cook for wasting several full minutes of my life watching that loop endlessly!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Sorry for the thread necromancy, I just had to pop in to thank you for this one of my favorite LPs of 2014, and to apologize for my random decision to take off watching any LPs or contributing to their threads for all of the summer for no real reason. I'm sure this thread in particular suffered from the lack of my horror trivia (speaking of, "Blackest of Sundays" almost definitely is referencing the terrific Mario Bava film "Black Sunday" about the ghost of super sexy witch Barbara Steele. Let me know if you actually need help with West's list of aliases in his journal, I'm going to assume you caught the "In the Mountains of Madness" reference.). I'll be sure to check out your new LP, Fiendly, it sounds interesting.

Sidebar while I'm here beating a dead horse and just shotgunned through the last five pages of the thread--I think another way to interpret the ending of the game is that Jennifer never was the sacrifice, rather she was always the host body for the Corrupted. The big body mass that Rick fights at the end was the sacrifice to allow the corrupted being into the world, allowing it to possess Jennifer. You said yourself Fiendly that this game loves its irony. The idea that we allowed all the evil plans to come to be because we just can't drat pay attention (Rick isn't exactly painted as the smartest guy around) and the mask just demands we punch first and ask questions later seems pretty apt. Also, it's fairly safe to assume the corrupted never intended on bringing Leonora back to life. After all, West was willing to do just about everything and anything while clinging to the idea that if he did enough she would be returned to him.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Hey, glad you're back and glad I didn't have to bump the thread myself (supposedly there's an archives issue that could break some of my Splatterhouse 3 cutscene collections if Baldurk doesn't save them on his site first). I can't imagine how many references fell to the wayside in your absence. For example, my best guess for "Blackest of Sundays" was the Megadeth song Black Friday because it's the wall-splattering achievement and that song has the line "Paint the devil on the wall" in the chorus, but I always felt that was a stretch. Turns out, I know metal, not movies. I also missed a few of those alias references, in fact I only caught the Charles Dexter Ward and H.P. Lovecraft name drops even though I've read Mountain of Madness. Feel free to enlighten!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Sorry for the slow reply, I had no internet since Friday due to a storm here. Anywho, regarding the names West lists in the Journal as his aliases, he references, as well as HPL, fictional Lovecraft characters Randolph Carter (the great dream adventurer) and Charles Dexter Ward (who becomes possessed by his own ancestor, and does his own macabre experiments), and real life fellow Cthulhu Mythos scribes Clark Ashton Smith (one of the few of Lovecraft's contemporaries to not be simply following in his footsteps) and August Derleth, the latter being also the founder of Arkham House, the publishing company that made Lovecraft far more famous posthumously. (Also the co-author of a large number of pieces of Lovecraft's work supposedly found after his death, but likely invented entirely by Derleth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Ha, that's a clever little nod, implying Lovecraft was his own respected successors. Too bad they threw "West" at the end of each name (and also not a great way to distance yourself from your aliases, Henry; an investigator would only need to cross-reference a single page of the phone book to narrow down your current identity, genius). Thanks once again for revealing just how much I've left unexplored even in 13 hours of video! Let this be a lesson to anyone still reading, if the LP sparked an interest in the series, you can find a lot more about it from the Splatterhouse wiki and The West Mansion, and also by playing the games yourself!

• Locked thread