Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dunno if you'd call me a 'historian' of the series, but there's a couple of little bits of note in that first video:

-When the Terror Mask says 'she doesn't have to die, Rick', that's a reference to the second game. The original Splatterhouse ends with Rick unsuccessful in his attempts at saving Jennifer. In the second, Rick starts having dreams about her being tortured, with the mask offering its power again in an attempt to rescue her from Hell. The mask keeps making its offer with that line, so it's actually a nice touch.

-The giggling taxidermy, as noted, is a reference to the Evil Dead, a film that had a lot of influence on the series. The plot of the original is virtually the same as the movie, replacing 'Book of the Dead' with 'ancient unholy mask of evil', with a fair amount of Friday the 13th for good measure.

-The boreworms will be familiar to anyone who knows about the third game. Or maybe 'infamous' is more the word. The third game has branching paths, depending on how quickly you finish each stage. In one of the paths Jennifer is attacked by boreworms. Depending on how you perform, you can either find her being eaten by the boreworm queen or playing host to a worm, which can eventually kill her, with some impressively creepy cutscenes for a 16-bit game.

The game itself may be the wrong end of mediocre, but you can't say the devs didn't do their homework on the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Choco1980 posted:

Something's been bugging me about rick's sprite, and it finally hit me this video: In the original game, the mask appears to be sitting upside down from typical design. Weird.

Yeah, it's probably worth mentioning a bit about the mask. The look of it's actually been revised over the series: in earlier versions of the game and concept art, Rick is Jason Voorhees. There are no ifs or buts about it, Rick is meant to be Jason: I know it, you know it, dogs know it. Remember, this was back in the days when you could (usually) get away with this stuff without the threat of lawyers banging on your door. When the game came over to the West and started gaining momentum, however, they decided to make the 'homage' a little less obvious. The TG16 port started the trend by turning the mask a fetching shade of maroon. Since then, across all regions, the mask has become less of a hockey mask and more of a weird bone mask that just happens to look exactly like a hockey mask, plausible deniability and all that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

If I remember, the various track names for the original Splatterhouse's OST were all fan-named - the final boss theme is known as 'Requiem of Captain Mozzarella' (it makes sense when you see what it looks like). Some of the other titles were inspired by movies, however: the level 2 boss theme is called 'They're Heeere', to go with the Poltergeist reference for the boss, while the game over screen is titled 'Game Over, Man, Game Over'.

That whole 'I'm not a Splatterhouse historian' thing is getting weaker and weaker with every post, huh.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Eulisker posted:

Why do you say nobody remembers reanimator? I always thought Reanimator was one of the beloved classics.

Seriously. Jeffrey Combs himself is an icon, almost on a par with Bruce Campbell and any interview or article involving him will inevitably mention the film. Which gets a little weird when the topic at hand is his Star Trek or Justice League Unlimited roles.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Any day now.

Sooner if you've got a few pints of blood to spare.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The bit where the Mask describes the Corrupted was actually really well-written. Surprisingly poetic.

And Fiendly, if you need a guest for the classic games (surprisingly, I've never actually played this version), give me a shout. I think I've outed myself as a Splatterhistorian, so it only seems right.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The fun thing about Biggy Man is always the weird meta thing he's had going on with the series and Friday the 13th. Jason Voorhees didn't actually get his iconic hockey mask until the third movie: when he showed up in the second film, he went everywhere, wearing a burlap sack over his head, just like ol' Biggy Smalls there. Cute reference already, but then you get to the chainsaw arms. Fun fact: Jason's never once used a chainsaw to kill anyone in any of the movies. He's improvised, using harpoons, roadflares, ice picks, sleeping bags, but his iconic weapon of choice has always been the humble machete. He does tend to get confused with Leatherface, however, a masked killer who made a career out of threatening people with chainsaws, to the point where any time you see a guy with a hockey mask attacking people, he'll inevitably have a chainsaw. Given that the original game is a huge love letter to 70s and 80s horror movies, it's weird that they'd make that mistake. Unless it's not a mistake. I'd bet it's probably accidental (or a classic case of 'reading too much into things'), but by having Rick face off against Biggy Man you wind up with an image of the One True Jason beating up a character who looks like a pale imitation of the real thing: Jason Voorhees, superior, fakes and wannabes, inferior!

That or it's some designer saying 'our fake Jason is better than your fake Jason'. It's hard to tell with Japanese games.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gray Ghost posted:

While this is a great assessment, Jason did once use a trimming saw in the New Blood (Part VII). I think that movie still came out after Splatterhouse, so it probably doesn't count.

They both came out the same year (1988), but the odds of any overlap are probably nil, all things considered. Good catch though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I finally got around to buying a copy of the game, and this is about where I left off over the weekend. You see the foreskin worm we fought at the end there? You can kinda make it out in the video (it's more obvious in the game) but either it's got some weird scale patterns or it actually has horrible withered breasts on it. Yeah.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

All this, and tne thing I forgot to mention in the playthrough was what 'Wanpaku' actually means: for the record, it means 'naughty', as in mischievous or rascally :eng101:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So... guess what came in the post today?

Ta-dah!

It has some useful info in it, stuff like weapon durability, enemy health and so on, along with the long-awaited enemy and boss names and some snippets of concept art/renders. Nothing too spectacular, but it'll make Fiendly's life a hell of a lot easier. I don't have a scanner, sadly, but I'll try and provide some relevant pics when needed. I'll also try and compile an update of some of the stuff we've seen so far. For example, the thing we thought was the Mother Boreworm is sadly just known as the Guardian Worm in the book. No good pics of her either, so I can't confirm whether or not she does indeed have tits.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hrist posted:

I'm so excited that 3 is finally starting. Even though I know most people think it's the worst of the classics, I think I still like it the most because I played it at a time when I was still young enough for it to legitimately scare me. Some of the stuff in this one was just really out there for a game, at the time.

Yeah, I've said a few times during the classic vids that the game manages to be surprisingly creepy. It doesn't have too much to work with, but what it has, it uses well.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

No, the queen always manages to escape. There's also only two possible endings for this stage: either Jen dies, or she survives, but is infected. Things start getting a hell of a lot more complicated past stage 3, however, since there's three possible outcomes based on the first two stages alone, and it only goes on from there.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is that supposed to be Jen? Can't tell with all those clothes on :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Neruz posted:

I don't know how we're supposed to tell Jen apart from any other character if we can't see her nipples.

Try counting them. If there's four or less, odds are it's probably her.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It needs a decent jump attack full stop. They're always your emergency 'I don't want to get hit but I still want to clear out the room' attacks in virtually every beat-em-up around. That this game doesn't have one of use (you have one available, but it doesn't do much more damage and drags the fight out more), I think, is more of a holdover from the original arcade games.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Fiendly posted:

It's funny, when I gave in and got this game in the first place, it would have been ~$10 more to get the Terror Mask statue with it, but I figured I'd probably be underwhelmed by the combat system and turned off by the glitches, ultimately only playing for the novelty of a legendary children's show voice actor cursing up a storm, so I didn't want a big chunk of plastic forever reminding me of my dubious purchase. I praised my foresight as I limply pawed at every foe with my poorly-built Rick and lost all investment in the story after the Wickerman chapter, but now that I've discovered the full glory of what lies beneath the surface and I'm in the throes of LP Stockholm Syndrome, that mask calls to me...

"You really shouldn't buy, Fiend..."

And then there was nothing left but sour regrets and and empty space where a statue should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So the password to have Jennifer as a mindless beast is 'LILITH'? Can't imagine that was unintentional.

• Locked thread