Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Myst Hat posted:

How dare they spend the first episode of a cosmological science series talking about the history of cosmological science.

Also, rargh Seth MacFarlane is a terrible person or something because Family Guy.

No how dare they make it look like Bruno's fate had anything to do with science and wasn't a generic religious heresy conflict. That's legitimately a disgraceful way to stoke the smug Reddit atheist persecution complex and an overt lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Oh my god the glasses

Edit: They're gone now?!? Continuity errors already?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NDT just blew 20 mins of his show talking about a guy who didn't do anything except have a dream and another 15 minutes of his show on cheezy cgi of his dumb spaceship obscuring cheezy cgi of other things.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

pik_d posted:

Oh my god the glasses

What do you think they would do? Do you think it is... something? Do they do something? :thejoke:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
:c00l:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The big bang was caused by a black scientist and a black president launching a science series on prime time network tv.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No how dare they make it look like Bruno's fate had anything to do with science and wasn't a generic religious heresy conflict. That's legitimately a disgraceful way to stoke the smug Reddit atheist persecution complex and an overt lie.

yo it's fundamentally academic to an entry-level science show dude

literally no one but goons and whomever is gonna write the angry slate article tomorrow gives a gently caress because for all intents and purposes it's fine

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What do you think they would do? Do you think it is... something? Do they do something? :thejoke:

Well Tyson is silent on the subject so who knows.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Dropping some good ol' Sagan "we are all made of stars", nice.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I KNEW my dick was made of stars......DWARF STARS THAT IS! :cool:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffles Inc. posted:

literally no one but goons and whomever is gonna write the angry slate article tomorrow gives a gently caress because for all intents and purposes it's fine

Yea it's not like there's actually a decent problem in the historical community with butthurt internet atheist types making absurd claims like the church was anathema to science and the 'dark ages' were scientific regression periods or anything.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Waffles Inc. posted:

But it's literally wrong. Bruno was executed because he denied that Jesus was God, which is a pretty big thing to say when you're a Dominican Friar. They practically just said 2+2=5 but whatever close enough

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

404GoonNotFound posted:

Dropping some good ol' Sagan "we are all made of stars", nice.

"star stuff" get it right

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Religion killed NDT's dog one time and now it's his mission to portray italian people as swarthy hitlers

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I expect to hear all the old iconic lines from the original Cosmos as least once, because gently caress yeah.

This segment is pretty cool.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Real hurthling! posted:

NDT just blew 20 mins of his show talking about a guy who didn't do anything except have a dream and another 15 minutes of his show on cheezy cgi of his dumb spaceship obscuring cheezy cgi of other things.

I thought the point was to illustrate that conventional wisdom can be wrong and a scientist needs to be willing to challenge things that seem self-evident.

EDIT: This thread is horrible.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
this is an incredibly scattered assortment of topics and pretty graphics

I'm really not sure how I would describe the central message of this episode

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

I expect to hear all the old iconic lines from the original Cosmos as least once, because gently caress yeah.

This segment is pretty cool.

Was the "pale blue dot" speech in the original cosmos? Because that drat well better be the exit monologue

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Real hurthling! posted:

Religion killed NDT's dog one time and now it's his mission to portray italian people as swarthy hitlers

Hey, attsamatta you?

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
Watched a few minutes of this, the animation was really making me feel weird. It felt like I was watching puppets made of wood come to life. I'll watch the rest of it later this week. I was expecting more science but it seems NOVA is the place to go for science heavy topics, even though the new host is extremely annoying.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Could have just said "portray Italian people as Mussolinis."

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

People are gonna be way more pissed that he said "sex" than they're gonna be about the religious stuff.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Thank you, horny microbes!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That is an ugly rear end crocodile.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hey, I watched Star Trek and I know for a fact that Q and Picard were there and that life started in France, so check your facts

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Best way to get the attention of the people who are slowly drifting away: SEX

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Sash! posted:

But it's literally wrong. Bruno was executed because he denied that Jesus was God, which is a pretty big thing to say when you're a Dominican Friar. They practically just said 2+2=5 but whatever close enough

yeah i agree that they should have derailed their topic of bringing light to bruno to discuss the intricacies of medieval church/science politics

here you go:

"bruno was executed for a laundry list of heresies including heliocentrism right?"
"basically"

Old James posted:

This thread is horrible.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
The CGI is pretty good for a tv show, sure beats the poo poo out of lost.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Myst Hat posted:

How dare they spend the first episode of a cosmological science series talking about the history of cosmological science.

They spent very little time explaining how the ideas were come up with, and spent two commercial breaks worth explaining that the church kicks smart people in the nuts.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Was the "pale blue dot" speech in the original cosmos? Because that drat well better be the exit monologue

Perhaps the updated version.

http://vimeo.com/83888827

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

People are gonna be way more pissed that he said "sex" than they're gonna be about the religious stuff.

they're gonna be super pissed about him saying we're burning coal to "imperil our civilization"

I mean, he's right, but still

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Winkie01 posted:

The CGI is pretty good for a tv show, sure beats the poo poo out of lost.

That missing link fish thing was goofy as hell. Someone please post a screen cap of that. It was the right mix of adorable/what the gently caress

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There's a CG frogodile and an animated Space Jesus but no dinosaurs? :argh:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Dinosaurs still live today Neil :argh:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
so you're saying we can take vacations to some dinosaur planet? sweet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Waffles Inc. posted:

yeah i agree that they should have derailed their topic of bringing light to bruno to discuss the intricacies of medieval church/science politics

here you go:

"bruno was executed for a laundry list of heresies including heliocentrism right?"
"basically"

But it's wrong. It didn't happen that way. Heliocentrism wasn't one of the charges brought against him.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Why is this man wearing a suit in the woods?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffles Inc. posted:

here you go:

"basically"

Or

"Bruno was a visionary scientist who shaped his field and was executed for actually just one heresy, which was saying Jesus wasn't god which was a super thing you're not supposed to do as a literal friar, and in fact Vatican astronomers were major aspects of celestial sciences"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

achillesforever6 posted:

Dinosaurs still live today Neil :argh:

I keep hearing that redneck version of Cosmos from Family Guy. drat you. Seth!:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Ofaloaf posted:

There's a CG frogodile and an animated Space Jesus but no dinosaurs? :argh:

Yes this is BS. Where's dinosaurs.

• Locked thread