Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Timby posted:

Excluding the legions of animated spin-offs like The Real Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, Men in Black, etc., I can think of Highlander: The Series, Stargate SG-1 and its spawn, La Femme Nikita, Freddy's Nightmares, Parenthood and The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles off the top of my head.

And, um.

Buffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

And MASH and FNL and technically Carrie Diaries and maybe Gotham depending on how that turns out and technically rebooted bsg

Daedo
May 5, 2002
There was the awful Robocop TV series too.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Sarah Connor Chronicles

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do TV shows based a Radio show count because Gunsmoke ran for 20 seasons? Also don't forget every terrible* children's show based on films and the terrible, terrible Honey I Shrunk the Kids TV Show.

*MIB the TV show's opening credits are better than MIB2 and MIB3 combined.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 18, 2013

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Alice was based on the Scorcese movie Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.

No joke.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Basically what we're trying to say is is TV series based on movies are extremely common and have been basically since television series were invented. What makes SHIELD unique and notable is is they've never to my knowledge done a television series based on a currently active movie series that ties directly into the movie series' canon aka is a continuation of the movies' universe and presumably has some impact on the movies moving forward.

That is very, very unique and hasn't been done before to my knowledge. Also they've never done a TV series based on a currently running blockbuster movie franchise which is even more impressive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Occupation posted:

That is very, very unique and hasn't been done before to my knowledge. Also they've never done a TV series based on a currently running blockbuster movie franchise which is even more impressive.

Pokemon? I mean its not a US based franchise and a lot of the films end with Reboots to status quo but among children the movies/tv crossover stuff was red hot for a while.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barudak posted:

Pokemon? I mean its not a US based franchise and a lot of the films end with Reboots to status quo but among children the movies/tv crossover stuff was red hot for a while.

I always figured Pokemon used the standard Anime TV Show Movie rule where basically none of the movies are actually in continuity with the show?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

I always figured Pokemon used the standard Anime TV Show Movie rule where basically none of the movies are actually in continuity with the show?

They're at minimum in continuity enough that the region they're in and the pokemon from that region are the highlights of the movie and it uses the same characters from that point in the show which is frankly about the most I expect from SHIELD. I haven't watched any of them so past that I can't tell you if they keep things from the films to reuse later but my understanding is they usually have memory wipe reset endings.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The Pokemon cartoon came before the movies, and the movies were directly based off of it, so even that isn't really the same.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Occupation posted:

Basically what we're trying to say is is TV series based on movies are extremely common and have been basically since television series were invented. What makes SHIELD unique and notable is is they've never to my knowledge done a television series based on a currently active movie series that ties directly into the movie series' canon aka is a continuation of the movies' universe and presumably has some impact on the movies moving forward.

The only other series I know of that has two concurrent active media markets is Defiance TV and video game. But Marvel outclasses that by a long shot, and I'm not sure how much cannon Defiance the game affects Defiance the show.

Either way, ABC took a fairly large risk which I hope doesn't fail. It sounds like a pretty interesting future for cross-media development. But at the same time, I want the show to get better.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm gonna J Jonah Jameson SHUPS' Peter Parker right now

WHERE'S MY R/C INDEX

AND GET ME THE SPIDER MAN

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Goddamnit boss I've told you a thousand times I don't know who Speederman is. Oh poo poo here comes

:slick::suspense::siren: THE RENEW/CANCEL INDEX :siren::suspense::slick:

CBS - No changes as Hostages continues to bleed out to a 1.0.

ABC - No changes, but the idiot running Bubble Watch put Agents of SHIELD on the bubble because they ignore its place on the scripted average for the network and also because they are a big dumb dummy head (also probably for clickbait).

NBC - Gorman's thinking the entire Thursday night lineup is in trouble, and he's right. MJFS and SStW are at matching 1.0s, P&R keeps tying their series low just above that, and Parenthood hasn't transitioned timeslots well against the resurgent Scandal on ABC. Dracula was stable last week but a 0.9 is still a 0.9. No actual changes, and The Blacklist remains dominant over all scripted fare.

Fox - Scary times over at Fox, where coming in third is a triumph once again. Bones lost nearly half of its demo on Friday moving from Mondays, Raising Hope premiered to a pathetic 0.7, and Almost Human lost 0.9 from its Sunday premiere to post a 2.1, well below Sleepy Hollow's 2.5. Gorman wrote his post before that number, and continues hollering into the void that Mindy is still a toss-up despite matching Dads's numbers. No changes other than Raising Hope's no-brainer introduction as Certain to be Cancelled.

CW - The Tomorrow People got put on the bubble after matching their prior week's 0.6, because the CW. No other changes.

No cable news but The Killing is getting a short fourth season on Netflix because Veena Sud has naked pictures of some very important network executives, likely members of the Illuminati, because why on earth would you keep this show around nobody likes it and no one will miss it.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 19, 2013

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
The latest TVBN says AH posted 2.2. Not much better, but still a tenth.
I think that's respectable considering the back to back showing. Next two weeks will be the predictor for it though. Also, glad Sleepy Hollow stayed stable. TVBN says it dropped a tenth but that's only after the Final Ratings were posted.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Bones lost nearly half of its demo on Friday moving from Mondays,

I remember thinking way back earlier in this TV season when they were going to move the day of the show, I knew this was gonna happen.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Occupation posted:

I've been on the fence about SHIELD because I thought the first 3-4 episodes were pretty terrible. It's started to get a lot better, but I'm not sure if that happened after everyone left.

However, this show won't get cancelled. I feel like they're banking so much on marvel that they'll keep it going through phase 3.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shield will be renewed because it is the ur-Synergy. It's an hour of television where basically half of the advertising can go to all of the other Marvel poo poo that ABC is selling, not to mention you can do things like the post-Thor episode (I wouldn't be surprised to see something that leads into the new Cap movie toward the end of the season), and get people like Samuel L. Jackson to show up when, unless Lorne Michaels is calling, they wouldn't touch a television screen otherwise.

Also, I convinced myself that what people really need to start doing is adapting video games to TV shows. They're already much closer in format (TV shows, like games, and unlike movies, don't always have a defined end, and the most popular video games are episodic in nature already, so they can sell sequels/DLC), and I think the first network to realize this and get, say, a Call of Duty miniseries (that will inevitably get picked up to a series because duh) will forestall their demise long enough to make some nice extra bread.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 20, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also, I convinced myself that what people really need to start doing is adapting video games to TV shows. They're already much closer in format (TV shows, like games, and unlike movies, don't always have a defined end, and the most popular video games are episodic in nature already, so they can sell sequels/DLC), and I think the first network to realize this and get, say, a Call of Duty miniseries (that will inevitably get picked up to a series because duh) will forestall their demise long enough to make some nice extra bread.

I don't think it's at all likely that people would flock to watch something that they can play instead. Plus the budgets for VG adaptations would be insanely high, especially for something like Call of Duty where it's basically combat zones 24/7. I'm not really into video games anymore but they seem to be at the point where visually they look good enough that a film/TV adaptation would be redundant if not less fun to watch, not to mention uninteractive.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I don't think it's at all likely that people would flock to watch something that they can play instead. Plus the budgets for VG adaptations would be insanely high, especially for something like Call of Duty where it's basically combat zones 24/7. I'm not really into video games anymore but they seem to be at the point where visually they look good enough that a film/TV adaptation would be redundant if not less fun to watch, not to mention uninteractive.

CoD might be a bad example, but something like the Survival Horror genre like Resident Evil would be a good foundation for a TV show

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Nystral posted:

CoD might be a bad example, but something like the Survival Horror genre like Resident Evil would be a good foundation for a TV show

You take that the gently caress back. :mad:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Four words: Tomb Raider the Series.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Even though I wasn't a huge fan of the games, I'd love to see a Saints Row TV show/movie, so long as it stuck to the insanity of the games.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
ABC's midseason sked is out. Betrayal is cancelled, obviously. Mixology takes over after Super Fun Night finishes up its run in February, and the faltering Revenge is moving to 10pm.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Mass Effect, for example, would be basically a perfect fit. There is an overarching plot to carry you through multiple seasons but most of the show could be yanked from ME2's character focused dungeons aka episodes.

Or you know give us a new Star Trek on TV. Its basically the same thing.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Fox released their midseason schedule and it's a doozy. Among the highlights:

- Glee is moving to Tuesdays at 8PM and Brooklyn Nine-Nine is moving to 9:30PM after New Girl.

- Meanwhile, The Mindy Project is going on hiatus from January 28 to April 1 while B99 finishes its season.

- Dads is not on the schedule. I smell a Summer burnoff perhaps blocked with Us & Them, also nowhere to be found.

- Rake is debuting after Idol to give it some shine. The Idol S13 previews indicate that they're finally shaking up the format so we'll see.

- No such luck for Enlisted, who gets Fridays at 9:30PM to play off of that sweet sub-1.0 lead-in from Raising Hope.

Things are going to be pretty interesting in 2014 for Fox.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Is that a good thing, bad thing or neutral thing for Brooklyn 99?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Epi Lepi posted:

Is that a good thing, bad thing or neutral thing for Brooklyn 99?

100% good. Barring some unforeseen disaster it's a lock for renewal.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Fox released their midseason schedule and it's a doozy. Among the highlights:

- Glee is moving to Tuesdays at 8PM and Brooklyn Nine-Nine is moving to 9:30PM after New Girl.

- Meanwhile, The Mindy Project is going on hiatus from January 28 to April 1 while B99 finishes its season.

- Dads is not on the schedule. I smell a Summer burnoff perhaps blocked with Us & Them, also nowhere to be found.

- Rake is debuting after Idol to give it some shine. The Idol S13 previews indicate that they're finally shaking up the format so we'll see.

- No such luck for Enlisted, who gets Fridays at 9:30PM to play off of that sweet sub-1.0 lead-in from Raising Hope.

Things are going to be pretty interesting in 2014 for Fox.

To Mindy: :smith:

To Enlisted: It's DOA huh? I thought it looked really good from the previews. Definitely able to play off of the workplace antics of B99 or be similar to that too.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Four words: Tomb Raider the Series.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
It probably goes without saying that this is not going to be a very eventful installment of th-th-th-th-th

:slick::suspense::siren: THE RENEW/CANCEL INDEX :siren::suspense::slick:

but here it is anyway. It's a holiday week and a lot of shows are on 1-2 week hiatuses (hiati?) and we're about to enter the late Fall doldrums so things are about to slow way down here in ratings town. ABC and Fox already announced their mid-season lineups, so let's see what got shaken up! If anything!

CBS - No changes, Hostages still sucks.

ABC - Betrayal is not on the mid-season schedule, so of course it's done. No other changes and I'm basically sure at this point that I won't get the satisfaction of OUAT in Wonderland being cancelled before it completes its run.

NBC - No changes, but Thursdays just keep going lower. Is this the season that NBC finally gives up the ghost of Thursday comedies and counter-programs against BBT (or just starts the washing machine and dryer power block)?

Fox - We're still pretending The Mindy Project isn't even likely to be cancelled despite losing its timeslot to Brooklyn Nine-Nine for 3 months, and we're also not treating Dads's absence from the mid-season schedule as a de facto cancellation? Really Gorman? I expect better from you. That is to say there are no changes.

CW - No changes, but Reign recovered slightly.

Alright nerds, talk some more about how video game TV shows are a good idea and not doomed to fail miserably.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Despite all the talk about SHIELD's ratings plummeting, they've actually gone up two weeks in a row.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barry Convex posted:

Despite all the talk about SHIELD's ratings plummeting, they've actually gone up two weeks in a row.

Nerds assume everyone else hates things they don't like. News at eleven.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It went 2.7, 2.5, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6. So does it keep going up or is 2.5 where it's going to sit?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Occupation posted:

And MASH and FNL and technically Carrie Diaries

Technically how? The Carrie Diaries is a book adaptation.

ToastyPotato posted:

All 16 movies are 100% in continuity with the show.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Which is nice, but last week(2.6) was up against Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer(3.0), not NCIS. Week before that was Thor hype.
It's been getting better* and it was always going to be renewed for multiple reasons, but I'm waiting for this week.
*Better being relative because I still am not a fan. More than I was at the outset, but still not "Can't miss TV" or even "Pay attention TV" level

Also, in Tuesday rating news, Mindy and Dad continued to jockey for last place, as Dads lost again. I really hope Mindy survives because of it's audience skew, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if they both were cancelled.

But in more interesting news, Glee hit a new low this past Thursday, with a 0.9, matching the Lady Gaga and Muppet special. Holy poo poo, if this show wasn't locked in for another season, it would be cancelled immediately.

e:

Joramun posted:

All 16 movies are 100% in continuity with the show.

Mewtwo didn't recognize Ash despite meeting in the first movie. My immersion was ruined and they failed at continuity.:colbert:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Postal Parcel posted:

But in more interesting news, Glee hit a new low this past Thursday, with a 0.9, matching the Lady Gaga and Muppet special. Holy poo poo, if this show wasn't locked in for another season, it would be cancelled immediately.

Fox is calling both Glee and X Factor's Thursday showings "holiday specials" so the ratings won't count towards their overall averages, despite the fact that both shows played in their usual timeslot and were no different from any other episode of either show.

With that said, last Thanksgiving X Factor got a 2.8 (perhaps aided by an NFL game lead-in) and this year was a 1.0 and it got utterly trounced by reruns. THAT'S embarrassing.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Oh good, I get to doublepost with this shameful-rear end :effort: :geno: Renew/Cancel Index :effort: :geno: update.

NBC's The Michael J Fox Show is finally Certain to be Cancelled. This is the only change this week. No, really. Happy Holidays!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How the hell are all the shows I like certain to be cancelled, but CBS is doing so good on a network that has Zero shows that I like. I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Astro7x posted:

How the hell are all the shows I like certain to be cancelled, but CBS is doing so good on a network that has Zero shows that I like. I don't get it.

People are morons.

• Locked thread