Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Shups, I just wanted to say that I found this thread fascinating. I am pretty much a TV IV tourist, but I've always been interested in ratings and this has been an exceptionally educational discusion - so thank you for making it!

I appreciate the kind words, but I just do the RCI and bump for massive successes or failures. This thread's an Occupation production - I could never put that much effort into an OP.

PriorMarcus posted:

There's already two suitable threads that could host all of this discussion so I wouldn't take it to heart, you should just roll this one into one of those next year and people will actually take note.

Ratings chat derails every single time in couch chat into the kind of garbage that was on the previous page, without exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Ratings chat derails every single time in couch chat into the kind of garbage that was on the previous page, without exception.
I'm going to preface my response by quoting this. There are always a number of reasons for failures and successes. Sometimes the show is just too advanced for the time, or it could be too controversial. A big one is definitely scheduling, especially if you place something new against a veteran. This is even more true when that veteran is a CBS show about nerds that pulls in monster ratings and almost constantly breaks 5s in an era where a 2 is good. Arguing about quality is a really bad way to judge a show because we(being the TVIV/SA audience) are probably not like the general public enough to judge tastes. That's not a "We're better than those plebes :smug:" statement, it's a "Why aren't more people watching Orphan Black over Two and a Half Men said young 20-something nerd with sci-fi tastes in a time where genre shows* constantly have lower audiences than sitcoms/procedurals" statement.
*Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad(kind of) excluded

That said...

Rarity posted:

Or maybe it's just no very good?

PriorMarcus posted:

This. It seems pretty much determined to be bland as gently caress, which given the talent involved and the money that's on display it pretty disappointing. It's basically on the same level as Agents of SHIELD for me.

You two can go gently caress yourselves. I've seen AoShield. At least AH has loving chemistry and characters who can hold interest and Minka Kelly. It's getting better too! :nixon:

Now that I've let that out, sorry Shups for doing what you knew would happen :saddowns:

Edit: Surprisingly, I found a great quote on TVBN about ratings and quality that explains why "bad" shows get good ratings:

quote:

You get that ratings and quality rarely go hand in hand, right? :razz:

Shows like CSI and NCIS last longer because they don’t have to evolve. What happens in season one is the same thing as season five and the the same thing again come season ten. Therefore if you enjoy season one you’ll likely enjoy season ten. Safe storytelling.

Serialized shows are in a constant state of flux as the show moves along, meaning that many people who enjoyed the set up of Lost season one, for example, aren’t going to enjoy the show during season three. It wasn’t what they signed up for and so they give up watching.

Some people like safe storytelling that gives you exactly what you expect. Some people prefer to see the story develop and grow. Neither option is ‘better’ by default. You enjoy what you enjoy. Simple as that.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 19, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
A day late on this but step aside, Ironside: ABC's The Assets now lays claim to the lowest premiere rating on a major network with a shameful 0.7. ABC's already hedged their bets by calling it a miniseries (similar to how NBC and CBS handled Dracula and Hostages, respectively) but this is still more bad news in what must be a very troubling season for ABC. Community premiered down for the series but up for NBC Fall Thursdays at 8PM. On the plus side it did much better than the 0.8s for Sean and MJF, and if ever critical buzz were going to help build a show it'd be this season of Community, so it's too soon to call. Parenthood has also stabilized at a good-not-great 1.3 at 10PM.

Last night Univision scored second place in the demo just behind college football on Fox and just ahead of non-scripted hours, with repeats and dramas bringing up the rear.

The last few weeks haven't had any big stories in ratings but we're diving into the midseason in the next few weeks so expect that to change. Also I'll have a reason to post the R/CI since things will actually change! Maybe!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
R/CI Tuesday! R/CI Tuesday nights! What are you watching? Who cares? Not Robert Gorman, that's for sure! So what changes have transpired in the 3 weeks since the last R/CI posts? Let's find out together:

CBS - None, but Gorman's pretending CSI wasn't a certain renewal last year.

ABC - The Assets joins the list at the bottom of the charts alongside Betrayal. The only question seems to be whether or not ABC will keep the miniseries on the air long enough to go even lower.

NBC - Community arrives a toss-up. Expect that to change by next week.

Fox - None, which means The Mindy Project is still a toss-up and by extension that Gorman remains delusional.

CW - None. Beauty and the Beast is still doomed.

Well that was sure worth a post, right? Welcome to 2014! /ignores doublepost

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Parenthood has also stabilized at a good-not-great 1.3 at 10PM

Good enough! Six seasons and a movie!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Well that didn't take long.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In related news, Community's second episode garnered a 1.4, which is actually up from last week's 1.3 average. I was gonna :toxx: for it anyways but it now has less of an effect since chances are actually decent it gets renewed, but I will now officially go on record and :toxx: myself that Community will be renewed for a sixth season. If it doesn't get renewed for a sixth season I will change my name to a Community-themed name and av of SHUPS' choice and take whatever mod challenge Deadpool decides to punish me with.

I gotta be honest I was fully expecting that I was gonna lose this toxx a couple of months ago.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

:laffo:
So ABC has killed yet another poorly rated show. Great, bets on Killer Women getting the axe by next week?
Have any of ABC's new shows done well? This is of course, discounting SHIELD although even that is getting middling ratings and reviews.

Also, here's hoping the Enlisted hit above a .8. Hopefully it will survive for at least a week...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Postal Parcel posted:

Also, here's hoping the Enlisted hit above a .8.

Nope!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Occupation posted:

In related news, Community's second episode garnered a 1.4, which is actually up from last week's 1.3 average. I was gonna :toxx: for it anyways but it now has less of an effect since chances are actually decent it gets renewed, but I will now officially go on record and :toxx: myself that Community will be renewed for a sixth season. If it doesn't get renewed for a sixth season I will change my name to a Community-themed name and av of SHUPS' choice and take whatever mod challenge Deadpool decides to punish me with.

I gotta be honest I was fully expecting that I was gonna lose this toxx a couple of months ago.

If it doesn't get a 6th season on NBC, it will certainly get it elsewhere. Just for the sake of syndication. Granted the 6th season might also be a shorter one. But yeah, I really doubt a 6th season doesn't happen at this point barring tragedy or some kind of massive tanking.

Is Parks and Rec not in syndication?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Parks just hit its 100th episode on Thursday, so if it hasn't been sold to syndication already it should be soon

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Community's already syndicated. I'm seeing it on local stations and everything. Parks I don't think is fully syndicated yet but yeah, after this season almost certainly.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think pnr is fully syndicated, FXX was running a PnR marathon when the network premiered leading up to the first new episode of...The League I think?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Occupation posted:

I think pnr is fully syndicated, FXX was running a PnR marathon when the network premiered leading up to the first new episode of...The League I think?

True, but that's just the one network so far and cable channels will sometimes show shorter runs. (VH1 has Happy Endings now.)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Esquire Network is also airing Parks and Rec now, though they're specifically owned by NBCUniversal/Comcast so who knows what the deal is there. I've yet to see Parks broadcasted (syndicated) on a local network personally.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Well...umm...:smith:
Maybe final numbers will get it to .8?
No it won't

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Intelligence dropped to a 1.1 last night from last weeks 2.4, the biggest second episode drop so far this season apparently.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...e-slide/229196/

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
From almost 17 million viewers down to 6 million for the second episode. So they lost close to two thirds of their audience after the premiere. Ouch.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Wow, who would have though all Parks & Rec needed was Community as a lead-in? A 1.5 for NBC is almost respectable.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Can't say I'm surprised, I think a lot of people were expecting the second coming of Chuck, but the tone makes the show feel completely different (not in a good way though). I was super excited to watch the premiere, but completely indifferent to watching the second episode. I think the biggest mistake (and one that seems like it has probably sunk the show) is that we were introduced to Gabriel long after he'd gotten used to the chip (and long after he'd become professional super-spy), so there's absolutely no sense of wonder (from Gabriel, the rest of the characters, or us as the audience). It doesn't help that the chip is used in incredibly banal ways and Gabriel does not have an interesting enough response to having been fitted with it. It would have been interesting to demonstrate the psychological (both in regards to emotions and ways of thinking) impact of having access to all this computing power. But nope, Gabriel basically acts like token superspy and the chip is no more interesting than having Gabriel wear a pair of Google-glass.

I think the showrunners wanted to get off with a bang and show us all the cool things Gabriel can do, but in doing so they've sucked all the fun out of the show. The show should have started when he first got the chip and gradually developed throughout the series. As it is, all his abilities revoke from me is a feeling of "meh". Too late now though, this show is on the train to cancel-town.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Postal Parcel posted:

Edit: Surprisingly, I found a great quote on TVBN about ratings and quality that explains why "bad" shows get good ratings:

NCIS actually does have continuity and has changed quite a bit since it started. Maybe fundamentally it's still a procedural (which you can hate it for if you want), but it's undergone major character deaths (and a very inelegant departure in Ziva), and production changes, and some characters have evolved quite a bit from where they started. To say it gets good ratings because it doesn't change is just wrong. It gets good ratings because it does what it sets out to do very well and the cast has amazing chemistry. Procedurals aren't for everyone and nobody would deny that NCIS has a hilariously grandma-like take on technology, but it's a solid show.

BBT is much the same really.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

Wow, who would have though all Parks & Rec needed was Community as a lead-in? A 1.5 for NBC is almost respectable.

Man, if Community is the only NBC show that doesn't get completely slaughtered up against Big Bang Theory...

It may run forever.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
R/CI Tuesday nights, am I right?

CBS - Gormie should probably wait until after the fast nationals to post the R/CI because Intelligence enters at a toss-up mere hours before losing half of its demo from the premiere. It is certain cancellation, possibly before the next R/CI is posted.

ABC - The Alphabet addressed the elephant in the room with authority, cancelling The Assets after it ticked down a tenth from its disastrous debut. Why this wasn't good enough for Hostages or OUAT in Wonderland, we may never know. Killer Women is DOA just above Betrayal and as such is Certain to be Cancelled.

NBC - Chicago PD debuts at Likely to be Renewed. No other changes, because Gorman's playing it close to the vest with NBC.

Fox - Enlisted, given a lead-in from the powerhouse of sub-1.0 Fridays that is Raising Hope, got a dismal but entirely expected rating. Gorman is once again harping on anyone saying it was doomed to fail though mishandling, but this time they are absolutely right. Anyway of course it's certain to be cancelled, which is a real shame.

CW - No changes.

See you next week!

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Could I ask how the new HBO show Looking rated? Also, how'd Suburgatory's return do? I'm hoping they did well.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Andrew_1985 posted:

Could I ask how the new HBO show Looking rated? Also, how'd Suburgatory's return do? I'm hoping they did well.

Looking is HBO's lowest rated show. Lower than Girls. Lower than Treme, even. Who knows if it'll be renewed because its HBO, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Suburgatory did okay, but not great. It lost half a ratings point to its lead-in and had half the ratings of the show that followed it. I wouldn't expect it to be renewed but then I didn't expect it to get renewed after the second season, so what do I know?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Sean Saves the World has had its production halted and as such is (obviously) cancelled. Considering it was the higher-ranked of the that hour, we should hear something about MJFS before too long. This week Thursday comedy got bumped for an SNL sports special and then the Olympics start so they're either going to tear off a few more bandaids or it'll be about a month before any news.

Bones, on the other hand, will have a tenth season and is back on Mondays in March because of how well it did on Fridays. Like you do. Kitchen Nightmares will take its place next month. Elsewhere on Fox Rake (which was never going to be a hit with a title like that) had a mediocre 1.7 debut, which is unsurprising given that Idol is a completely incompatible lead-out. It's a toss-up on the R/CI just behind Almost Human. The Following of course sank like a stone from their NFL-boosted Sunday premiere 4.4 to a series-low 2.0 on Monday.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Joramun posted:

From almost 17 million viewers down to 6 million for the second episode. So they lost close to two thirds of their audience after the premiere. Ouch.

To be fair Intelligence got no promotion at it's timeslot post-premiere and really needs a better lead-in (NCIS and co) to be successful.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Considering it was the higher-ranked of the that hour, we should hear something about MJFS before too long.

They will surely finish the season as that was already the deal when they bought it in the first place. After that, who knows? NBC is desolate enough to continue it in the hope it will do respectable numbers (for NBC), worked for P&R, Chuck and Community.

quote:

Bones, on the other hand, will have a tenth season

Please let it die already, Fox. As long as it lives I will somehow be compelled to watch it and then complain about how lovely it has become.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Decius posted:

Please let it die already, Fox. As long as it lives I will somehow be compelled to watch it and then complain about how lovely it has become.

I agree. I mean I loved the show but it's way past its prime and does need to end. It's limping along like the last few House seasons.

I'm praying Almost Human gets a second season. Yes it's a bit bland but with the chemistry the cast has and what is still a good premise there's a lot of potential in it if it survives. It's an unfair world if Almost Human dies while Agents of SHIELD survives. I don't even hate SHIELD, it just needs much better writing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

How is Arrow doing, overall?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Decius posted:

They will surely finish the season as that was already the deal when they bought it in the first place.

Normally I'd agree but 0.6 is a show-killing rating on non-CW networks on any day but Friday. Also a virtually unadvertised SNL sports special nearly tripled their usual numbers this week (and this was after SSTW was axed!) so I expect them to make that hard decision before too long.

Decius posted:

I thought the whole Friday run has been pretty great, honestly. I've only been regularly watching for a few years though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

How is Arrow doing, overall?

No worries there. It's fine.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

No worries there. It's fine.

Arrow is pulling numbers that could put it as "weak but stable" on a major network, so its basically a stellar hit on the CW. Long term, I wouldn't be surprised for it to get a shitload of seasons once they figure out how the DC comics movies vs TV deals are going to work.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
MJFS has finished its production I've heard, so there's no reason for them not to burn it off until the next show of the season can fill the hole it will make.
Rake is dead, even moreso than Almost Human. It got a 1.3 last week. That's pretty bad, even considering it's up against CBS's dominant Thursday schedule.
Following dropping suprised no one and shouldn't be seen as a completely bad sign. It had a football lead-in. There is almost literally no better lead to a show. If it's stable next week, it should be fine. Hopefully AH also comes back stable/up

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Postal Parcel posted:

Following dropping suprised no one and shouldn't be seen as a completely bad sign. It had a football lead-in. There is almost literally no better lead to a show. If it's stable next week, it should be fine. Hopefully AH also comes back stable/up

Just to clarify, its drop post-football produced a series low. I expect an even lower rating tomorrow and I'm getting a strong vibe that they didn't expect a second season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

pentyne posted:

Arrow is pulling numbers that could put it as "weak but stable" on a major network, so its basically a stellar hit on the CW. Long term, I wouldn't be surprised for it to get a shitload of seasons once they figure out how the DC comics movies vs TV deals are going to work.

The new Superman movie is shaping up to be really loving weird, so who knows what the gently caress Warner Bros. is going to do. They are pretty well known for shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to their own franchises though, so I wouldn't hope for much. I can actually seem them slitting Arrow's throat in the hopes of replacing it with something else that they have no proof anyone wants.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

The new Superman movie is shaping up to be really loving weird

I still weep that Snyder was given control. What could have been if they'd assigned a competent director :sigh:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Posting something that may be a result of continued declining ratings -- Glee's S5 episode order has supposedly been shortened from 22 to 19. Fox may have denied it when it first came up, but I haven't seen anything since that refutes the idea that S6 will be its last (barring a major uptick in viewership, of course). It seems like all the cast and crew are prepared for that likelihood, anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shakugan posted:

I still weep that Snyder was given control. What could have been if they'd assigned a competent director :sigh:

Snyder is a perfectly competent and interesting director and not everything has to be a :nolan: grim dark fest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

computer parts posted:

Snyder is a perfectly competent and interesting director and not everything has to be a :nolan: grim dark fest.

The Nolan films are some of the goofiest loving poo poo I've ever watched, specifically because the tone clashes with itself so violently.

• Locked thread