Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to do a more long-term, play-by-email style game of Go via IGS? My android app (Elygo) only works through IGS and it seems like most of the games there are live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

If you're looking to play correspondence games, you should play on Nova instead. They recently merged with OGS and have a much better playerbase, as well as the most modern software of any Go server. There's also an SA group on Nova, so you can join that and hit other people up for games.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
Hi all, I just recently started playing and I dwell in Apple-device-land, so I wrote up a post about what I've used app-wise to learn to play on OS X and iOS. It was positively received elsewhere on the internet, so I figured I'd post it here

http://amiantos.net/post/66890357669/learning-to-play-go-on-ios-and-os-x

It mentions the Dragon Go Server client for iOS made by a fellow goon (I saw it recommended in this thread), which is my preferred way to play asynchronous/long-term Go games vs remote iOS users.

I'm going to do a similar followup for "Improving your Go play" mentioning free apps/utilities/videos/websites for learning more in-depth play after you get going.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, I just found a go ranking test: http://play.baduk.org/
It told me I am supposed to be 3-kyu European. Looks like I am critically under ranked on KGS. :)

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

So, I just found a go ranking test: http://play.baduk.org/
It told me I am supposed to be 3-kyu European. Looks like I am critically under ranked on KGS. :)

That was pretty accurate for me, last time I was ranked on KGS I was 9 kyu, and it put me at 11 kyu. I don't know how well the ranks translate, but that still seems like it's in the right ballpark.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Apogee15 posted:

That was pretty accurate for me, last time I was ranked on KGS I was 9 kyu, and it put me at 11 kyu. I don't know how well the ranks translate, but that still seems like it's in the right ballpark.
Acording to an old table a 3k European should be 1k KGS. I am actually 9k KGS.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It said I was a European 10k. I think that'd be about right if whenever I played Go, I was magically presented with only 5 options on what to do next.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I seem to remember there was a set of answers/explanations for those questions... anyone know where to find them?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Has anyone tried Go variants, like the Tibetan version? There are a bunch on these pages:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?Variants
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_variants#cite_ref-11

They all look terrible. The only one with the potential to add something interesting is Omino Go, where you place up to four (touching) stones each turn. Seems like that would add more more importance to shaping and visualization to the game, and add another element where humans would have a better time of it than computers.

Another one that I'd like to see is "Continuum Go". No lines or intersections.

It would only work on a computer, though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Berlekamp has some "fun" variants. Those are mainly used for analyzing go or partisan games in general.
The simples is coupon go, where a player can instead of moving on the board draw a coupon tat gives him a set number of points.
But he also has a lot of rules for playing several different games at the same time, for example coupon go and domineering:
http://math.berkeley.edu/~berlek/papers/econview.pdf

Practically he uses small boards and given starting positions for his go boards,
Here is a starting position with some simple math for where a smart player should make the first move:

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Wouldn't call them true 'variants' but we used to trade turns as black and white playing the Shape Game using Teaching or Demo boards in the SA room and I thought it was a pretty fun exercise. Rengo/Pair Go is also a blast and supported on KGS. I personally enjoy each team having an SDK-ish level player paired with a much weaker player to ruin everything.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

WuChou posted:

Wouldn't call them true 'variants' but we used to trade turns as black and white playing the Shape Game using Teaching or Demo boards in the SA room and I thought it was a pretty fun exercise. Rengo/Pair Go is also a blast and supported on KGS. I personally enjoy each team having an SDK-ish level player paired with a much weaker player to ruin everything.

I watched a cool rengo game with Breakfast and a SDK against two 2-3 dan players. There were some pretty neat tricks getting pulled like playing forcing moves whenever it was gonna be Breakfast's turn to play so that he couldn't influence strategy as strongly.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Are go AIs good enough yet that they are helpful for top players? In chess a human-computer team is significantly better than a computer or human alone.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

Are go AIs good enough yet that they are helpful for top players? In chess a human-computer team is significantly better than a computer or human alone.
Helpful? Possibly.
The best AIs are currently on the level of strong Amateurs or weak Professionals.
But top level Amateurs or average Pros can still beat the top level go-programs.

Those Programs are also computationally intensive. Most Go-Programs on Android are based on Gnugo and can be beaten by a player with a few month of experience.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
thanks for the other version of this thread too. it helped a lot when i prepared for go club on campus

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

pointsofdata posted:

Not yet, but the whole idea that computers suck at go is basically over. There are bots on KGS that run on ordinary [high-end] computers that carry a 5d rank. Run on a supercomputer, you can get stronger still - in a 9x9 environment, especially, a supercomputer is a credible opponent even for professionals.

5d is strong, but not strong enough to be anywhere near the professional realm. If you send your kid to go school like they do in korea and whatever and they like it, they might be 5d before becoming a teenager. Still, the advance of computers in go has been steady and stronger than mine. :sigh:

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
Anyone know of where you could find a board and stones in Los Angeles/Orange County?

I went to a pretty extensive board game store in Brea called Dice House and was excited to see a worn board and set of stones on a shelf but they weren't for sale, though they were covered in dust and cobwebs. We sat down and played a game with it.

I figure going to little Tokyo or koreatown might be a good bet, but I'm figuring at that point I might as well just order something online because the prices in a store might be a bit absurd?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I'd say you'd have better luck buying online. Maybe look at Yunzi or Ing stones which wont be too expensive, but are still nice to play with on a decent wooden board.

I have a set of Ing stones, I think they cost me about $40. I've had them for about 6 years, and they've served me well.

If you really want to go big though, the slate and shell stone sets are awesome. But also quite expensive.

I'd get the Japanese type stones that don't have a flat bottom, they are more popular. Make sure you get the right size of stone for your board, otherwise they either wont fit on the board or they'll be tiny and wont look continuous.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

amiantos posted:

Anyone know of where you could find a board and stones in Los Angeles/Orange County?

I went to a pretty extensive board game store in Brea called Dice House and was excited to see a worn board and set of stones on a shelf but they weren't for sale, though they were covered in dust and cobwebs. We sat down and played a game with it.

I figure going to little Tokyo or koreatown might be a good bet, but I'm figuring at that point I might as well just order something online because the prices in a store might be a bit absurd?

Yellow Mountain Imports, where most people seem to recommend buying online, is housed in LA. Their website says that you can order online and select "local pickup." I got my goban and yunzi stones there and am very satisfied.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012

RoboBlaster posted:

Yellow Mountain Imports, where most people seem to recommend buying online, is housed in LA. Their website says that you can order online and select "local pickup." I got my goban and yunzi stones there and am very satisfied.

Ah! I would never have noticed that on my own. Thank you.

They had 15% off over the weekend as well.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I'm thinking of buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008EJXEW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1OSFFZX3JZB4Z

I don't know what good having a board will do me, but I've never touched a go-stone in my life so I think it'll be pretty neat.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

I'm thinking of buying this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008EJXEW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1OSFFZX3JZB4Z

I don't know what good having a board will do me, but I've never touched a go-stone in my life so I think it'll be pretty neat.

As the person who recommended that board, I support your purchase and affirm your opinion.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Seems awful small... about a quarter the size of an actual board? If only it was full sized, it'd be pretty cool.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Under 15 posted:

Seems awful small... about a quarter the size of an actual board? If only it was full sized, it'd be pretty cool.

Good thing I was lazy and didn't order it yet. Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

http://www.ymimports.com/p-2211-beechwood-58-go-reversible-board-wood-bowls-melamine-stones.aspx#.UqV6OOL8J8E

This looks better.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

A basket/bowl is way better than a drawer too.

Also, I can't imagine the hollowness of the board leaves the same solid feeling you get when you place a stone on a good wooden board.

I have one similar to the one linked here, it's pretty good. Only difference is mine is lighter colored wood, and has 13x13 on the other side, with stones and 2 baskets purchased separately.

Never tried those melamine stones though, so no idea how decent they are. I noticed they are single convex though, which I have to say i'm not a fan of.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Revers...ywords=go+board

With stones and bowls purchased separately might be nicer. But I guess it'd be more expensive too.

I have baskets like these which I really liked, and were pretty cheap.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

This board is legit, but I don't have any experience with melamine either. When it comes to stones, though, I'm a loving philistine - I think plain old PVC stones are the jam. I own yunzi stones and I don't like them at all, they feel weird and no amount of oiling will make them tolerable.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I keep trying to learn Go, then promptly forget about it when I get other stuff to do. Guess it's time to try again!
I've requested to join the OGS group as eHobo.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Thou art accepted

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I ordered https://www.ymimports.com/p-2414-beechwood-58-go-reversible-board-double-convex-stones.aspx because I couldn't stand the thought of only having single convex stones. The bowls aren't as nice, but whatever.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Kheldragar posted:

Good thing I was lazy and didn't order it yet. Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

My company has one of the boards and its tiny. The stones are like skittle sized and you always drop them and it shoots stones off the board and is generally terrible.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

My company has one of the boards and its tiny. The stones are like skittle sized and you always drop them and it shoots stones off the board and is generally terrible.

The only regret I have regarding my physical board and stones (which are very nice) is how little use they get. In the ten years that I have owned them I have managed to convince a grand total of two people to sit down for a game with me. Online go is free and has people to play against; so, I see the purchase of a set as entirely option at this point.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

I ordered https://www.ymimports.com/p-2414-beechwood-58-go-reversible-board-double-convex-stones.aspx because I couldn't stand the thought of only having single convex stones. The bowls aren't as nice, but whatever.

I was going to tell you that you could pick up some nice straw bowls for like $10 like I did(my stones came in a container very similar to the one you got).

But I looked around, and could not find anywhere that sold straw bowls separately, only with stones. So... *shrug*

The straw bowls really gives it a nice aesthetic feel though.

zhuangcg posted:

The only regret I have regarding my physical board and stones (which are very nice) is how little use they get. In the ten years that I have owned them I have managed to convince a grand total of two people to sit down for a game with me. Online go is free and has people to play against; so, I see the purchase of a set as entirely option at this point.

I don't get to play in person very often either(there is a go club nearby, but 'eh), but I still much prefer playing in person. I started out with a small really cheap $15 dollar set, and I found the experience to be so much better with a decent set that wasn't super tiny.

It's like the difference between playing chess on a small crappy travel magnet set and a big nice wooden board with marble pieces. It doesn't change the actual game, but it's so much nicer to play with.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Now I can force the people who live in my house to play this game with me even though they've never heard of it in their life! Seriously, though, I wish it had a better name than just "go".

"Hey, you wanna play go with me?" "Oh, you mean like go fish?"

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Kheldragar posted:

My only gripe with this is I find the wood to be too dark. If you play in a place with poor lighting (such as perhaps a drinking establishment) you find yourself missing ataris sometimes, and so on.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, it was mainly about the cost; the next best boards that were your standard yellow/golden colour were $80-$120, so I didn't feel it was too worth it when I'm just owning a board to maybe play with some people who aren't even 30K and to play alongside internet games.

rand
Apr 26, 2003

/216

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

Now I can force the people who live in my house to play this game with me even though they've never heard of it in their life! Seriously, though, I wish it had a better name than just "go".

You can use the chinese name, "weiqi", instead of the japanese name.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kheldragar posted:

Whoever named it Go was not thinking about Search Engine Optimization. Might as well name your new product "Or"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

zhuangcg posted:

You can use the chinese name, "weiqi", instead of the japanese name.

Or the Korean name, baduk.

• Locked thread