Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Pellogres

Pellogres listens intently, offering a few nods of understanding as he considers. Guarding the Praetor would be a most honorable task, and may offer significant opportunity for recognition, but it could also be a largely ceremonial task that keeps them from the real fighting. Guarding foragers, while it may offer the opportunity for some scraps, would largely be thankless work. Thus far, it seemed, Pellogres and his brothers had been able to find the most adventure riding out into the field and letting it come to them. "My lord, I believe that scouting would agree with the Knights of the Hound well. We must know what lies ahead, and my comrades and I always find something interesting out in the fields. I believe our luck will serve us well in this task." Pellogres is brief, but more bold and sure of himself than usual.

Orate: 1d20 7, so success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

Briant speaks up to voice his opinion. Given the circumstances, he decides to be direct. "Milord, I should think it prudent to volunteer us to the Praetor's retinue. While gathering provisions and scouting are well and noble tasks, serving as bodyguard is the most likely course for Salisbury to once again outshine her neighbors. Further, I'd imagine that an important part of guarding the Praetor will be avoiding causing him offense, and my talent for conversation was enough to cool even the Horned King's temper. In any case, with our luck, as notes by Sir Pellogres, there's no doubt that we'll need to defend the Praetor's life at some point." Besides, Briant thinks, if the Praetor reacts badly to Prince Madoc's intent to withdraw soon into the fighting, the prince may need him dealt with, and having the heir to the throne owing him a favor suited Briant very well indeed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sir Rhun

Rhun cannot help but laugh softly once his companions speak, for when it is time for him to voice his own opinion, he takes - of course - an entirely different tack. "My Lord, while there is little Glory to be had in fighting it, still there is no foe more implacable than hunger. I should count that service as best, to guard those who would forage for our supplies, lest our foes come upon us weak with hunger. I must, then, beg your pardon; I see that there is little consensus among my companions and I to guide your decision!"

Orate: 1d10 8 - a failure against Rhun's Orate of 7, unless his 3000 Glory is enough to eke out a bonus under the optional rule.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

"All tasks are good so long as they are done with good intent, and honor lies in doing good things well.", Bledri suggests. "Still, I suggest we guard the supplies. Hunger can kill more men than armies ever can."

Orate (against 3): 1d20 8
There's suave Bledri for you.

Also, DCB, not that it matters, but I think you should have rolled d20, not d10.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Epicurius posted:

Also, DCB, not that it matters, but I think you should have rolled d20, not d10.

...I absolutely should have.

ibntumart, please consider my roll an 18 (and thus a failure whether there are bonuses or not). I am an idiot.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Spring 488 - The Earl Takes the Knights' Counsel

Earl Roderick listens to each of you in turn and remarks that each of you supported your choice well. But in the end, he agrees with Sir Bledri and Sir Rhun. "For there will be glory in abundance when we take Bayeux," he declares,"and I doubt not you shall acquit yourselves as you have e'er done since you gained spurs and sword."

So it is the Knights of the Hound find themselves in northern France, guarding squires and servants who move along the lightly wooded land near the beach. Your horses grow impatient at the slowness and frequent stops. No hunt this: the thrill of finding tracks or spoor, the pumping blood when sighting prey and giving chase, the satisfaction of lance or sword taking your prize! All a far cry from this task of watching lesser men gather herbs and apples, and root in the dirt for mushrooms and the vegetables of the earth.

Perhaps two hours into your chaperone mission, several men clad in rough tunics and hands black with dirt wander into the clearing in which your party forages. They have one cart between them, loaded with wood, and one fellow has a bag with a chicken's feet sticking out. They are at first surprised, but their faces quickly sour into frowns and glares. The man with the chicken spits at Bledri, the spittle landing upon his shield. The man behind the cart points and jeers at the men gathering food, while the cartman's friend steps beside Rhun. He looks and speaks angrily in his alien tongue, punctuating his words with a firm slap on Rhun's horse's rear.

Clearly men of Britain are not welcome here.

OOC: Horsemanship roll for Rhun to keep his mount calm.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Horsemanship: 1d20 7 is a success!

Though Rhun's horse rears at the sudden startle, the knight manages to keep his steed under control - and, importantly, to keep himself seated in his saddle. As the beast settles down once more, Rhun turns to glare balefully at the Frank...

OOC: So part of me wants to be all calm and merciful and remember that our war here is not with the common folk; that they are ignorant rabble and know no better. The other part of me remembers we're playing Pendragon, that chivalry hasn't been invented yet, and that Proud is a Pagan virtue. All the same, though, I feel like Rhun tries to be a pretty nice guy, a forerunner of the chivalrous knight even if he doesn't quite fit the description himself, and a generous sort. This is what rolling Traits can be good for!

Proud: 1d20 11

Welp!

...and scowls, clenching a mailed fist. "Insolent cur!" he hollers, furious that the man would so casually strike at his better. Well, his better's horse, but to him they are one and the same. "Away with you, lest I ride you down where you stand!" He clasps, but does not yet draw, his sword.

OOC: Thank goodness that unarmed combat is considered unknightly or I would have had to try and remember how to punch a dude

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

(Oh, my. Gonna do that not-quite-orthodox thing we've been doing of using Passions like Traits to see how mad Briant is that some filthy French peasants are messin' with the crew. 14 under his 20 Loyalty. So, he's just normal mad and not Critical Mad. Time to roll Vengeful and finally try to push that scale further into Vengeful. 4 under 11.)

Briant's voice booms, echoing through the clearing like some manner of giant. "What impertinence is this?! These lowborn, French dogs dare insult knights of England?! Weapons or no, I'll brook no hostility towards my fellow knights!" Briant rides to the nearest of the insolent peasants, blade drawn, and makes to separate his head from his shoulders.

(15 against 19 Swordsmanship. Hope this doesn't ruffle too many feathers, but this is the first opportunity I've had to let Briant really let loose with his cruel, vindictive side. And if there's any question as to what Critical Mad looks like in comparison, in this scenario, Briant's not planning to run them down like foxes if they flee in terror, nor stick their heads on pikes.)

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres initially reaches for his weapon, expecting their first bit of trouble. Seeing the grubby peasants in full, however, he softens and decides they are no true threat. He moves his horse over to the rabble calmly, preparing to try and resolve the situation peacefully. These men, after all, were no soldiers, and were likely just frustrated with the politics of their betters trampling on what little they have.

As Briant bellows, however, Pellogres can see the situation turning violent very quickly. "Sir Briant, hold!" Pellogres entreaties as he charges forward, attempting to meet his comrade's blade with his own and save the life of the serf at Briant's feet.

Merciful?: 1d20 17, which is a crit! So Pellogres will be doing all he can to save these men, whether they want him to or not. This is the hill I will fight and die on! Rolling my Honor passion as well, since he's getting pumped up on the need to save some insolent little worms! Honor: 1d20 11, so success there as well. Boosting sword.

Not sure how you want to handle me intervening on the peasant's behalf, but I figure I'll roll a sword check to keep things moving. Let me know if it would be something different, I don't remember if the rules stipulate anything here and I don't have the book handy. Sword: 1d20 16, which is a crit due to the passion roll. I don't want to do damage to Briant, though, just block him and then hopefully not get murdered by my buddies for interfering. Just run away, you stupid peasants!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

(Hey, since I did roll my Passion earlier as a behavior determinant, since it's suddenly an opposed roll where I wasn't expecting one, I'd like to apply that bonus to my own sword. However, I'm not going to try to hurt Pellogres, obviously. I'll wait to see how the clash pans out before writing Briant's specific reaction.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Spring 488 - Unexpected Crossing of Swords

So the rules don't provide for this situation, but since I otherwise was going to treat the peasant as an autokill, let's treat this as a standard opposed roll. I will treat Pellogres as fighting defensively (bonus to Sword) and Briant as withholding his blow (only deals 1/4 damage). Both knights are Inspired for this scene.

That means Pellogres's Sword is effectively 35(!) this round. Briant is also Inspired, so that puts his Sword at 29. Both are critical successes, which in combat translates to a tie rather than just seeing who is more successful and judging him the winner. Though otherwise Pellogres would have won (albeit just barely) with the same result.

The Frankish peasant can do naught but gape in horror at oncoming doom. Briant is one with his sword, unerringly raised to deliver a mortal blow---yet instead of the soft thud of head onto grass, the ring of steel upon steel echoes through the clearing. For though Briant is a fine swordsman, yet his fellow knight Pellogres meets his blade handily and turns it aside at the last moment.

The Franks have dropped their bag and let alone their cart. They make to flee, thankful for these few seconds Providence (in the form of Pellogres) has provided. Briant yet has time to try to move past Pellogres and strike the uncouth peasants down, and Pellogres may yet seek to block his passage.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

As his blade meets with that of Sir Pellogres, Briant growls in frustration, but sheaths his sword rather than pursue the fleeing peasants. "And let that be a lesson to you, curs! Were my companions less merciful, the lot of you would be food for the crows!" Turning his attention back to the clearing, he takes a moment to resolve the matter in a way that keeps either himself or Pellogres from losing face. "Perhaps it was for the best, Pellogres, cleaning their mongrel blood from my blade would have been more trouble than they were worth. As it is, the goods they've abandoned shall serve as repayment for their insolence, meager though it may be."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres softens, smiling to his comrade, grateful that he is not over angered. Extending a hand to his comrade in unity, he replies, "Indeed, friend Briant. I trust we will have many more opportunities for combat in the days ahead, and against more worthy foes than these dogs." He gestures towards the bag with chicken feet sticking out. "Meager though it may be, it should be nice to have some meat on the diet." Pellogres calls to their company and gestures towards the cart. "Be quick about it, let us see what those fools have left us!"

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The knights---or rather, their squires and the foragers---rummage through the cart and open the sack. Inside the burlap bap is a headless chicken with feathers still on, a bulb of garlic, an onion, and some mushrooms. The cart has naught but chopped wood, though if emptied, it could be used to carry more food back to camp. That would mean extending the foraging expedition, of course.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

"Letting the remaining peasants go was a mercy, but also bad strategy.", Bledri points out. "They're sure to find any nearby Frankish warriors and report we're here."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant gives a jovial laugh as Bledri voices his concern. "Ah, good thinking! We may yet face opposition worthy of our time and effort. A few dozen Frankish knights, and why, we might even start perspiring!" As usual, Briant openly belittles the foreign opposition, as much to keep spirits high as to express his disdain. Turning to the cart, he offers his opinion on how to handle its contents. "I doubt additional firewood would be unwelcome, so let's forage what we can, as time and circumstances permit, and make whatever room is necessary in the cart as we go along, rather than abandoning the whole pile here and now. Besides, I wouldn't want to be out here too much longer. While we knights have nothing to fear from Frankish warriors, a large enough force may get some men past us, to the squires and servants. Better to ensure that doesn't happen."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhun

"Poor strategy perhaps, but their deaths would have been just as wasteful," Rhun declares, looking blithely unconcerned. "For then it would be their families rushing off to find our foes. We are likely in for a fight no matter what happens, so stay alert."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The men labor on as the knights muse over what potential trouble the Frankish peasants may yet cause them,. A couple of hours later, carts and sacks are full of food, with some firewood to boot, and the party makes their way back to camp. You are vigilant and keep a close ear and eye to the woods around, mindful not to let any vengeful Franks surprise you, but the concern is for naught: your trip back to your Cymric countrymen on the beach camp is uneventful.

Not so other parties, who report similarly harassing peasants and one a small ambush: a couple of Franks who, in most cowardly fashion, set upon a foraging party with bow and arrow and did grieviously wound young Belinus, Sir Jaradan's squire and younger brother. He throws the guilty Franks' bloodied heads at Earl Roderick's feet and demands reprisal. The Earl sympathizes, perhaps as much to give the restless knights on the beach something more stimulating to do than help gather food as much as sharing Jaradan's thirst for vengeance.

Earl Roderick calls the knights to him and asks who wishes to raid the nearest village and wreak what havoc they may upon these villainous people. He says also, "Though I cannot spare all of you, and Prince Madoc has commanded me to provide knights for the Praetor's honor guard."

The Knights of the Hound are left to decide whether to join Sir Jaradan's war party or join Praetor Syragius on the march to Bayeux.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Bump! The Earl awaits your decision.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

(Oh, I thought I'd posted already, whoops.)

Briant is the first to give his opinion on the latest matter. He addresses the other knights as they prepare to give answer to the Earl. "While the war party is certain to be greatly enjoyable, I believe there is greater glory to be gained defending the Praetor. We can take our leisure slaying savages the next time we're sent to Saxon lands. For now, I believe we should focus on earning as much favor as we can, higher standing benefits not only us, but our families."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres nods in agreement. "Indeed, I think it wise to stay close to the Preator and protect him. Raiding the villages may cause some of the more bold Franks to seek vengeance." In truth, Pellogres simply has no desire to go raiding and pillaging, preferring instead the more noble task at hand.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"I am in agreement. Favor has nothing to do with it; I simply have no stomach for killing peasants." Rhun has calmed down a bit, it appears. "They are Franks, after all. They simply do not know any better."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 488 - Guarding the Praetor

The Earl agrees with the decision made, and soon the Knights of the Hound are fixed as Praetor Syragius's Cymric bodyguard. His other men are Romans, with closely cropped hair and not a whisker upon their cheeks or chins, and weathered but solid armor of leather and banded metal. They are stern and unfriendly, or so they seem to you, but quickly it is plain that austerity is second nature to them and they mean no insult.

The Praetor himself seems much bemused by your presence. Indeed, he seems to half-believe that Prince Madoc and his army are but a passing dream. "I say to you, young men of Salisbury, that your King is more gracious than his peers elsewhere in Britain," he says as you take supper in his pavilion. "Cornwall and Malahaut were all too quick to chase me from their halls once I made my case for a joint invasion. I wonder what moved King Uther to help take back our land from the Franks... but then, you are Cymric men and I do not know your people as I do my own. Tell me, each of you, what is the greatest virtue of a knight? For I would know your people better as we shall soon join in battle together."

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 25, 2016

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant considers for a moment before responding to the Praetor. "While many traits define a good knight, I would argue that the most important virtue is loyalty, not only to one's liege, but to their fellow knights. I'll admit that my knowledge of Rome is limited, but I recall stories of soldiers linked shield-to-shield, forming an impenetrable wall of steel. Knighthood, while different in execution, is at best when similar in concept, each man working in perfect concert to defeat the most fearsome of foes, and repel the mightiest of attacks. Why, just a couple summers ago, my companions and I were assigned to patrol Salisbury, when we came upon an old man...." Briant then leads into the story of the Knights of the Hound slaying Bad Tom, focusing on their simultaneous charge that felled the giant in a single combined strike, as it's quite relevant to his point. He's quite used to telling the tale, and he does so with practiced ease. He concludes the story with the beast's beheading, rather than telling the full tale of Excalibur, both to keep the story brief, only a few minutes rather than the better part of an hour, and because he feels it might not be prudent to tell the Romans of the mysterious blade. Briant also keeps the true identity of the "goatherd" to himself, considering the matter of Merlin to be a little too sensitive for discussing with foreigners, especially given Prince Madoc's intentions.

(I'll roll Orate for sharing the story of Bad Tom, both to sound good, and to sound not-crazy in front of the Romans. That's 5 under 8)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"Industry," replies Rhun, without hesitation - no surprise, coming from one called Rhun the Industrious. "Some will claim Valor to be paramount, or Generosity, or Piety. But none of these virtues will sustain a knight if he is not Energetic enough to pursue the aims they dictate. It is not enough, I fear, to be a noble man, or a holy man; one must act with nobility and holiness."

With a quiet smile, Rhun adds, "I confess that I do not expect to see uniform agreement on this matter."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Pellogres listens as he thinks to himself. He chuckles at Rhun's final comment. "I suspect that my comrade is correct - there will be little agreement. For my part, I believe that the very definition of a knight is found in service. In a sense, I suppose I find myself on Briant's side, as loyalty is certainly a piece of that service. But I speak more broadly - a knight requires a liege to serve and a people to protect."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
A month since the last IC post... my apologies all and sundry. Is anyone still around who still wants to make a go of finishing the knights' current quest to guard the Praetor and besiege the Franks?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 488 - The Praetor's Company

Several weeks before setting sail to Frankland, a squire receives his spurs....

"Let this be the last blow you receive without just recourse", intones Earl Roderick, before his fist near puts Amig to the ground. But the young knight does not buckle. Sir Floridas, standing at the Earl's side, smiles and says, "Repeat after me: 'I, Amig, do solemnly swear and pledge my sword to Earl Roderick, my liege, to defend and obey him until he depart his demesnes or death shall take me, and to uphold the honor of knighthood.'”

Upon Amig's response, the Earl smiles and addresses him thus: "And I, for my part, do swear to defend and honor Amig as befits a true knight." He takes the sword from the floor and lightly taps Amigon both shoulders. "I dub thee Sir Amig. Receive now your spurs, your right to suitable arms, and take this, my sword, to your side to serve and defend me well. Arise, Sir Knight." As he speaks, Earl Roderick hands him his spurs and shield, then sheathes the sword and girds it onto Sir Amig.

OOC: You may assay the Leap, of course!

Some time later Sir Amig finds himself upon foreign shores, part of Prince Madoc's army aiding the Roman Praetor Syragius against the Frankish barbarians. The campaign consists mostly of setting up camp, guarding supplies, and foraging in the countryside. Hardly valorous work. But one morning Amig is assigned scouting duty. So it is on the road to a nondescript village he and two fellow knights are ambushed by Frankish warriors. O

OOC: This will be a quick skirmish. You do not have the opportunity to charge as they have surprised you.

Frank 1: 30 hp, 3 points armor+shield, Axe 14, damage 4d6.
Frank 2: 30 hp, 3 points armor+shield, Axe 14, damage 4d6.
Frank 3: 30 hp, 3 points armor+shield,Axe 14, damage 4d6.

Syragius listens to Briant's tale at first with polite disbelief, then genuine curiousity. He then considers the other answers. "Loyalty to one's liege, and industry to enact the work of one's lord, and a lord in the first place to whom one is loyal and shall enact his work," he says. "All answers that ring true. Though I wonder now. What is one's lord is false? What if one is commanded to do a wicked act? For I put to you now one last question before we ride to Bayeux and muster what loyal Romans can be found on our way."

He sits back, taking his ease and regarding each one of you in turn. Before he speaks, a Roman knight approaches with one of your countrymen. "Sir Amig of Salisbury," the Roman announces. "A knight of Earl Roderick, whom Prince Madoc has requested join these other Cymric knights in your temporary service. He is the only one left whole of his party and fought well 'gainst a Frankish ambush."

The Praetor nods and bids Amig join the rest. He repeats what he has said, then poses the question to all of you: "What good exists in this world that would demand a man obey his conscience over that of his lawful lord? Or is there any such good?"

OOC: You should roll a Virtue to justify what you wish your answer may be. And if you fail that roll, then roll its opposite, and if you succeed, then let that guide your answer. And if you fail both, then take comfort that a knight's true test of skill is war, not philosophy!

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

(Critical Success on Arbitrary!)

Briant considers for just a moment before replying. He speaks candidly, but politely. "What does a knight know of his liege's goodness, or lack thereof? What seems wicked to the uninformed may be just to those who have a more complete view of the situation. Those with power shall decide what is just, based on their own wisdom, and if their wisdom be flawed, as you propose, then let God, and those who serve Him on Earth, be the ones to judge it so, not the knights who have pledged their service. No military force can function if an individual's moral quandaries could cause them to break ranks, for there is no battle that all men shall agree is just, save those against the Saxon dogs. Should a knight in this army feel no ill will towards the Franks, perhaps even feel they have done no wrong, should he then act his conscience, and refuse to do battle with them, despite the orders of not only his direct liege, but the very prince of his country?"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Honest: 1d20 19
Deceitful: 1d20 1

"Sometimes one's Lord cannot - or will not - tell a man why he must do the things he is commanded to do; it is presumed that duty is enough." Rhun speaks slowly, thoughtfully, seeming faintly troubled. "And yet, when one's conscience pulls at one... it may well be that if a man could see the reasons his lord has for ordering a thing, he might reconsider, but in that lack a man can only follow the course of his heart. It comes, one supposes, to the question of whether a man's lord also has that man's trust; he should, else why call him one's lord? And yet... it strikes me that perhaps this may not always be so. I suppose that not every man is lucky enough to have a man like Earl Roderick as their liege." Rhun smiles a crooked little smile, knowing full well how that last comment will look like a way to try and cover his behind, whether he means it or no.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Sir Amig

Upon his faithful steed Acer, Sir Amig battled against the temptation to take the voyage to Gaul as a sight-seeing trip. As much as he desired to enjoy the new vistas, he knew the Franks were a warlike race, and their partisans spread over northern Gaul like fleas on an old dog. His time as a knight has not heretofore been particularly glorious (though Amig did succeed on The Leap, to laughs and cheers), but as he and the other knights, Sir Bellus and Sir Adda, continue riding on the road, they are met by a trio of Franks!

"To arms, friends! Strike the invader down! For Britain, for Uther, for Roderick!" he cries, striking his lance out at the nearest foe.
Lance 18 vs Axe 9: 2#1d20 3 7
Lance damage: 5d6-3 16
Forgot the shield's 6, so it would be 10 dmg

The tip of the weapon slices through the Frank's shoulder, a jet of blood shooting into the air. "A hit!" Amig cries out, as if this were the sparring matches at Salisbury under the Marshal's eye.

With Praetor Syagrius
Sir Amig, flush from his first real combat, bows to the Praetor and to his fellow Britons. He had heard the tale of the Knights of the Hound, but he had no desire to be overshadowed by these slightly older knights.

Pious vs 10: 1d20 12
Whoops!
Worldly vs 10: 1d20 13
Whelp! Guess the Pious roll was lower, so I'll go that route

However, faced with the Praetor's gaze, Amig finds himself strangely unsettled. He suddenly feels like the most unkempt, ignorant country bumpkin - that in the face of Rome, his martial prowess is nothing more than the dew on the grass, destined to disappear before the mighty works of that race of men. "I would... I would imagine that God would strike down an unjust lord. Didn't he bring down Solomon when that illustrious monarch was enamored of strange deities?" Realizing how his words might come across, Amig almost slaps his hand over his mouth. "Not- not that He brings down all lords from their height out of vengeance for sin!"

The Leap vs 12: 1d20 5

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

Bledri thinks for a minute before he answers. "Wisdom", he finally says. "A knight owes his lord loyalty, but not a foolish loyalty, and the lord owes his men that he not throw their lives away without cause. Should the lord make a command that would lead to the ruination of all, the knight's duty is to not obey."

Prudent (Against 16): 1d20 15

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring 488

OOC: Was the 7 rolled for Amig or the Frank? If it was the Frank, then he won that round.

The Frank you attacked will attack you again this round. Frank #2 has taken down Sir Adda and is now ganging up on Sir Bellus. Luckily, Sir Bellus struck down Frank #3.

Praetor Syragius offers the slightest of smiles at Amig's words and gives no reaction to the rest. "Indeed, rules must be obeyed for armies and empires alike or they shall fail in their course," he says. "But one must be careful not lose the trust and goodwill of the majority. And above all, one must not wait upon Divine Providence to give unto you what your sword and will can attain, for after all, is not opportunity itself a gift for the wise to receive?"

He gestures for more wine to be poured into your cups, and his own also, and bids you all to finish eating. "For we will ride to Bayeux at dawn's light, and muster what men we can along the way to join our siege. Therefore eat well, and rest well, and turn your minds to matters of blood and strife for the work ahead."

The morning comes soon enough and your squires have your horses caparisoned and loaded for the journey ahead. You notice your harnesses are new. Your squires explain that the Praetor gave you reins and harness to match those of his guards, fine leather with buckles adorned with a silver eagle and thunderbolt.

When you are joined with the Praetor, he remarks that his men disagree on the route to take. On the one hand lies the direct path, with a village that may still be loyal to Rome, but may just as likely side with the Franks. On the other is a temple, taken by Rome and made into a church, and made anew into a temple to Mars by the invaders. The Christians in the town may join with the Praetor if the temple is retaken, and the intelligence he has leads him to believe there will be few defenders this day.

He asks the Knights of the Hound their opinion. As with the evening prior, he seems ready to carefully weigh your every word.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant strokes his beard thoughtfully as he considers the options. "Is this village capable of mustering against us, if they so chose? If so, then if we ignore them, they might learn of the battle at Bayeux, and attack us from behind. Either way, if they favor the Franks, passing through will all but certainly lead to the Franks becoming aware of our approach, and possibly the disposition of our forces. On the other hand, should we reclaim the church, given its light defense, as you say, all we need do is slaughter the defenders to a man to prevent the Franks from learning more than we wish them to. I would advise we take the indirect route, given all of that, but if the villagers are capable of forming a militia, we should move forward under the assumption that they will do so. It is better to prepare for something that doesn't happen than to be unprepared for something that does."

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Merciful: 1d20 19

Cruel?!: 1d20 17

Failed at both, so Pellogres doesn't know what the hell!

Pellogres prepares to deliver an answer about duty to the people against a cruel lord, and how knights serve no purpose unless it is for the good of the people. Instead, however, he merely stammers unintelligibly for a moment before his more eloquent brothers-in-arms rescue him. He blushes as he reconsiders further input into the discussion.

Temperate: 1d20 9

That night, in his silence, Pellogres is careful to avoid overindulgence, preferring to be lean and prepared for their journey rather than sluggish and over-filled. The following morning he takes a few moments to calm his nerves before their ride, hoping to avoid any further embarrassments in his dealing with the Praetor. As he listens to the description of the two routes, he considers a moment. Of course Briant is the first to speak, and Pellogres nods in agreement. "I concur. We should make way to the church. Tactically, it seems better to make allies with as many in the town as possible by rallying the Christians, rather than riding on them and risk making enemies."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhun

As the lone Pagan of the Knights of the Hound, Rhun clearly feels no burning desire to reclaim a Christian church... and the bloodthirstiness of Briant's plan is not to his liking, either. Still, he considers...

Merciful: 1d20 4

...and finds himself unable to stay silent.

"Slaughtering our enemy to a man may be a wise course, yet I find I take little joy in the prospect. On the contrary, I must beg the Praetor's pardon, for I fear I am no more in agreement with my fellows than his men are; it is the village, I would argue, that is the proper target. As things stand now the villagers may well side with the Franks or with Rome - but should we pass them by, should the loyal men there find themselves alone and bereft of aid, then I suspect that we will make their decision for them. Ignore them and they will throw in with the Franks; save them from their unjust oppression and their gratitude will ensure their loyalty."

A brief pause, a rueful smile. "It must be admitted, of course, that I have e'er been one to prefer the more direct route."

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Sir Amig
In battle

Amig attacked with his lance again, but the Frank easily parried his blow, angering the Briton immensely. The Frank's axe attacked at Amig's leg, but with his shield Amig was able to turn the blow aside. "You cur!" Amig roared.
Lance 18 vs Axe 9: 2#1d20 13 5
D'oh! I screwed up the roll last time too, so this is some auspicious rolling, failing everything except the Leap so far!
Frank dmg: 4d6-16 -1

With the Hounds
Amig scratched at his chin, feeling the hairs slowly growing there. His first thought is to go for the church, to take time moving into battle...

Prudent vs. 16: 1d20 18
gently caress
Reckless vs. 4: 1d20 19

"We must reclaim the town," he says. "Wavering hearts can be made stiff when allies arrive - if the people will not rise against the invaders when we arrive they never will. Better to know it now than during the siege!"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

"I would say the church. The village is uncertain in its loyalty, and should the Franks control it, we will find ourselves in an unnecessary battle, losing men rather than gaining them. If we liberate the church though, we would not only raise the loyalty and spirits of the people, we would find ourselves in divine favor, having restored the place to its proper mode of worship."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry for the delay, guys, will have an update post sometime tonight!

• Locked thread