Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri finishes his meal and sets off. The temptation is there to overeat, of course, for the meal is uncommonly good, and better fare than he is used to, but he knows overindulgence will make him sluggish, so he refrains.

Temperance Roll (against 13): 1d20 1 So just a success

The respast is too short, alas, and straight from the pleasures of the table, Bledri finds himself locked in combat. Picking out a knight, he charges, his spear set as would be a lance, but whether it is the sun or bad luck, the usually talanted Bledri's spear does not find its target.

Charge! (Against 15): 1d20 16 A miss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Pellogres

Pellogres happily enjoys the rich food, thinking to himself that he may just have to be careful - apparently a knight is given far more temptations to overeat. This food is far more satisfying than what he has been used to most of his life. Pellogres manages to avoid the temptation for now, though, as he knows it is important that they stay prepared for battle.

Not rolling temperance this time, maybe a different one later though.

As they are warned about the enemy knights and he mounts his personal charger, Pellogres adopts a more grim expression, preparing himself mentally for the fight to come. He takes his spear and couches it for use as a lance, adjusting his shield slightly as he urges the horse to charge.

My lance skill is 15, Chaaarge!: 1d20 9, so I hit. I'll roll my damage now in case I did better than my opponent. Damage roll: 6d6 19.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Spring - The Battle Continues

Owain

With a mighty cry, Sir Owain dashes upon his chosen foe. The knight seems somewhat unnerved, but sets his spear and returns the charge. Faster than a man could blink, the point of Owain's spear bites deeply into the enemy's throat and lifts him off his horse entirely! He falls from Owain's spear as the victorious knight stops a couple of yards away, blood gushing from neck, mouth, and nose, his body still as a corpse (as he may well be).

OOC: Enemy knight's Lance 15: 18 That's a failure. Owain wins decisively!

The enemy knight takes 42 hits - 10 armor (no shield) for a whopping 32 hit points total. Well done! You get an experience check for Lance.

Bledri

Perhaps it was the exhiliration of battle, or maybe the sun glinted off the enemy's helm at the wrong moment; whatever the cause, Bledri's spear strikes only air as the two knights pass. The enemy's point strikes his arm, but does not pierce his armor and Bledri barely feels the touch.

OOC: Enemy knight's Lance 15: 6 The enemy knight wins, and since you failed your roll, no shield to protect you this round.

Damage roll 6D6: 11 A mere one point of damage after your armor reduction. These knights are not putting enough muscle into their attacks.

Pellogres

The two knights thunder toward each other, but their spears each bounce harmlessly off the other's shield. The enemy knight wheels to face Sir Pellogres, drawing back his spear and readying to fight up close.

OOC: Enemy knight's Lance 15: 9 A tie! No one's hurt.

Round Two

The surviving knights lock themselves in battle, each side by side with one of you save Sir Owain. He alone has dispatched his counterpart, so he is free to assist any one of you that he chooses.

OOC: I'm preemptively rolling for round two. All of the enemy knights are going to draw their sword and attack this round. This is called a combined action (normally you take a full round to draw a weapon), which gives them a -5 to Sword and you a +5 to your weapon roll.

If you are readying a new weapon and attacking this round, too, then you and your opposing knight's modifiers cancel out, so roll normally. Briant already has his sword out, so gets the full benefit of the enemy's combined action. If you're using a spear instead of drawing your sword, then you also get the +5 bonus to attack this round.

Note that a spear does the same damage as a sword. The main issue is that the spear has a good chance of breaking, especially against a sword.

Also note that you can draw your sword and not attack this round. You are allowing the enemy an unopposed attack roll, though! But you can choose to combine the Defense maneuver with redrawing if you prefer; that still gives the -5/+5 penalty/enemy bonus, but you also get a +10 bonus to your weapon roll (no possibility of doing damage, though, even on a critical).

The enemy knights' rolls (each has Sword 15 normally):
Sir Bledri - 2
Sir Briant - 20
Sir Derek - 3
Sir Owain - none, but you may attack any enemy knight you wish with an unopposed roll
Sir Pellogres - 3
Sir Rhun - 10

I will apply modifiers, determine winner/loser, and roll for damage after you declare your actions and roll.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres let his spear fall and unsheathes his sword as well, thrusting forward quickly and nimbly dodging to the side of his opponent's swing. His thrust connects and Pellogres draws first blood in their matchup.

Sword skill is 15 as well, Attack!: 1d20 5. Looks like I beat his 3! Rolling up my damage...From what the book says I don't get the horse damage roll, and just roll my normal damage. Which is still 5d6, so none too shabby, just 1 less die than my charger. Let's see what I can get...Damage Roll: 5d6 18. Not bad, but not great - almost completely average. Oh well.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Rhun

Rhun, too, drops his spear in favor of drawing his sword - but his opponent is a skillful one. Just as he was able to evade Rhun's lance and land a blow of his own, so too does he manage to strike at the young pagan with his blade before Rhun can even fully finish drawing. Rhun scowls, but remains undeterred as the battle continues...

Sword: 1d20 2

Man, screw you, Orokos. :) It's a successful roll, so I'll get my shield again, but still, that hurts. If things continue in this vein, looks like Rhun will end up being one of those knights that succeeds in courtly matters while being only adequate in battle... but hey, you could say the same about Sir Tor, and he's pretty awesome, so I'll take what I can get. Heh.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

Derek took out his sword as he saw his opponent aproaching him he srtarted repeating the old prayer his mother taught him "Deus meus pastor, nihil mihi deerit In pascuis herbae cubare faciet me, ipse educavit me aquae, reficit animam meam. Deduxit me super semitas iustitiae, vivens ad nomen ejus." he then clashed his sword against his enemy.

Sword skill use. Please don't choke (3<X<15): 1d20 9

As his sword hit he continued "sed et si ambulavero in valle mortis non timebo malum quoniam tu mecum es virga tua et baculus tuus ipsa consolabuntur me pones coram me mensam ex adverso hostium meorum inpinguasti oleo caput meum calix meus inebrians sed et benignitas et misericordia subsequetur me omnibus diebus vitae meae et habitabo in domo Domini in longitudine dierum"

Damage roll: 4d6 12

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

Hearing the slur against his mother angered Briant far more than he'd expected. She died when he was very young, and he hadn't known her well. How dare this stranger malign a woman long dead, one who had not had the chance to wrong anyone? Such disreputable behavior was intolerable! He sees his foe draw, and promptly lose, his blade, and grins, his voice booming out like a clarion. "It seems you fight as well as you hurl insults, but perchance you shall have occasion to address my mother to her face, in the unlikely event that the Lord is willing to take you, cur!"

(Briant is inspired by his sense of Honor with a 14, as he's more angry about someone who died quite young being insulted more than the specific fact of her being related to him.)

His blade screams death as Briant swings, though, in the hopes of perhaps collecting a ransom for a captured enemy knight, he does not aim for any vital locations. Perhaps his foe will survive, if only barely.

(Briant rolls 13 with an effective 30 Sword, meaning a "real roll" of 23, a critical. Briant's damage is a "paltry" 35.)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri struggles with his horse as he pulls his sword out of its scabbard, the unwieldy spear forgotten; more a hindrance than a help to him now. Seeing the other knight swing at him, he hacks at the other man, hoping he will overmaster him. "Surrender!", he cries out as his sword slashes down.

Attack (Sword:Base 15): 1d20 8
Damage: 4d6 7

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sir Owain
Victory! Owain feels a thrill of excitement as his spear strikes true and he vanquishes the first foe. Wheeling Salamander around he casts the spear aside and draws his sword - Sir Rhun appears hard-pressed by his foe, so Owain plunges in to aid his fellow knight.

Ganging up on Sir Rhun's opponent. Stabbin' a dude (< 15): 1d20 11 25 damage on a hit.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 7, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
The Spring Slaughter Continues

With the spears thrown aside or broken, the knights close upon one another for the more personal, though no less deadly, exchange of sword upon sword. The melee is a hectic flash of steel in the sun, accompanied by a chorus of metal ringing upon metal. Most of the knights, including the raiders, do not quite connect or strike such glancing blows as to not even be felt. Pellogres does manage to nick his target, though perhaps it would be fairer to call it a scratch than a nick.

But Briant and Owain prove violent exceptions to the otherwise futile exchange. God seems to be on Briant's side, for his foe's sword flies from his hand and plants itself point-first in the wet earth some yards away. But it is his hot blood that serves Briant best:thick with fury at honor insulted, Briant's blade cleaves deep into the breast of the disparaging knight. He shrieks in anguish and grabs desperately at the rain, but his hands and face turn white as a cloud in May, and he slips gracelessly to the ground. Blood pours through the crack in his armor and his breaths are hard, ragged, and wet.

Owain meanwhile comes up to Rhun, who is barely avoiding the onslaught of his opponent. Owain's swordsmanship proves true and his blade bites deeply into the side of the pillager knight. Crying out in pain, the knight's face blanches and he staggers in his saddle. Yet he holds fast to the horn and stays alight. His face a rictus of pain, he calls out, "Mercy! Mercy!"

OOC: First off, Briant gets an experience check on Sword and on Honor.

The enemy knight on Rhun does 5d6: 14 damage minus 16 for armor and shield, so zero damage to Rhun.
As for the enemy knights who took damage, here's the breakdown:
  • Bledri's knight has 16 points armor + shield, so takes no damage
  • Briant's knight only has 16 10 points armor, and thus takes 19 25 damage and a major wound, plus roll for Knockdown (1d20: 13, successful)
  • Derek's knight also has 16 points armor + shield, so no damage
  • Owain took on Rhun's knight, who only uses his 10 points armor, so 15 damage and a major wound, plus roll for Knockdown (1d20: 6, successful)
  • Pellogres's knight has 16 points armor + shield, so 2 points damage
You might have noticed Briant's opponent passed his Knockdown roll, but still fell off his horse. That's because he failed his major wound roll to stay conscious and fell off anyway when he passed out.

The knight facing Owain and Rhun passed his major wound unconsciousness check, which means he must make a Valorous roll to summon the strength and courage to keep fighting offensively. These knights have Valorous 15, and the knight here rolled 1d20: 16, so he fails. He will fight only so much as is necessary to defend himself.

Round Three

The tide is turning in the young Salisbury knights' favor. Two foes are down, and the one surrounded by Briant and Rhun likely to thrown down arms if allowed. Sirs Bledri, Derek, and Pellogres each face a single knight. The battle is not yet won, but the raiders seem far less confident than but a few minutes before.

OOC: Nothing special to note about this round. Go ahead and post your actions, plus preemptive damage if relevant, and I'll have the results up when everyone's done.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 9, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

For just the barest instant, Rhun finds himself inwardly cursing Sir Owain for coming to his aid. He didn't need the help! And why should Owain come to him first, as though he were the most endangered of the group? Why, he probably thinks Rhun can't handle it, and...

...then he snaps out of it. He's not dead, some other people probably are, and that makes it a good day; if he feels robbed of the chance for glory, Rhun will just have to go out and make more chances.

So he flashes a grin, calls "Your prisoner, sir!" to Owain - relinquishing any claim to the man he has been fighting, letting Owain decide what to do with the guy - and wheels his horse around, riding off to come to another knight's assistance as Owain did for him; he rides over to help Sir Derek out, seeing his fellow knight's wound.

Perhaps it is his stung pride that provokes him, but Rhun cannot seem to resist. "Avaunt, blackguard!" he calls out, alerting Sir Derek's opponent to his approach... and then he brings his sword around with a wordless cry.

Sword: 1d20 15

Yep, that's a crit.

Critical Damage: 10d6 29

Hardly a stellar damage roll - that's two damage rolls Orokos has basically boned me on - but I'll take it! The crit applies an experience check to Rhun's Sword skill as well, so his total gains (not counting any Glory gained from this combat) to date are:

Glory This Game: 11
Experience Checks: Loyalty (Lord), Sword

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

Derek had to focus on his oponent he couldn't let his companions down. He hadn't seen how they were faring but being the only one who had been hurt by his oponent. He saw the other knight And raised his sword arm to the air.

Normal sword roll (Please don't miss) VS15: 1d20 20

He didn't know is it was the cut sending a sudden jolt of pain to his brain or the intrusive idea that he was someone's son maybe someone's father or husband but Derek dropped his sword to the ground. He closed his eyes waiting for the other knight's retaliation.

A sudden scream catchs Derek's ear "Avaunt, blackguard!" Derek smiled aliviated that he had reinforcements "Sir Rhun you sure are a sight for sore eyes"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

Flush with the thrill of victory, Briant grunts at his defeated opponent to stay down if he wishes to leave the battlefield alive, and rides to the aid of Bledri, whose blade had yet to find purchase upon his foe. However, the large knight held back, to give his comrade a chance to gain glory for himself.

(I, uh, I rolled a 1 for Sword. Well, if the other guy drops his sword, too, it might hit. If it hits, it will deal a precisely average 18 damage)

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres allows himself a small chuckle at how evenly matched he seems to be with his opponent - neither of them has been able to make any major headway in their offensives, though Pellogres notes that he did manage to get the first real hit in, albeit a small one. Gripping his sword, he twists his legs slightly to direct his loyal charger and deftly maneuvers into position for another strike, slashing upwards to try and catch his opponent off guard.

Slashy slash!: 1d20 14, which is a hit as my skill is at 15. Almost a crit but I'll take it since that'll be hard to beat unless he crits. Damage roll: 5d6 16 another middle damage roll though.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri's last blow was turned away by the other knight's armor, causing the other knight no real wound, so he redoubles his effort this time, forcing the other knight to meet his blade. The blow is slow, though, and if the other knight has any real skill, he should be able to counter.

Attack (Sword) Base 15: 1d20 3
Damage: 4d6 12

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sir Owain
"I am not one to deny a man mercy when he calls for it," Owain says, pausing to respond to his defeated foe. "Throw down your arms, dismount, and consider yourself our prisoner; we shall account further when the battle is won."

Not waiting to see if his opponent complies, Owain applies his spurs to Salamander once again and simply moves on down the line, joining the melee at the side of Sir Pellogres in order to balance the skirmishes at an even 2-to-1 each.

Sword! (<15): 1d20 18 Miss.

I'm sort of assuming that taking prisoners is a thing that happens - to be ransomed back to their family? - but I might be confusing my history and my RuneQuest. If Owain's actions are abnormal, let me know and I'll amend them.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Round Three Continued

Briant races to the other side of Bledri's foe, who turns his head to each side nervously. He swings his sword wildly and ineffectually at both Salisbury knights. In turn, he receives a solid blow from the left and the right. His movements are somewhat slower now.

Owain's defeated opponent says nothing as the knight charges to stand with Pellogres. The enemy knight cannot sneak his blade past Pellogres's defense, but he does manage to raise his shield at the last moment and stave off Pellogres's blade. At the sound of Owain's approach, the knight turns his head toward the new enemy and swiftly snakes his sword to meet the new threat. He slips under Owain's guard and the young knight feels pain blossom in his chest. Looking down, he sees a few links torn and a red gash.

Meanwhile, Derek raised his sword arm with great vigor... and his sword flew with equal vigor from his grasp, landing he wot not where. His enemy grinned and started to attack, but then heard Rhun's shout and nervously slashed the air in front of Derek instead. He turned to Rhun, just in time for the pagan knight's savage thrust to pierce his mail and send him flying from his horse.

The knight lands on his head, spitting up blood to match that seeping through the armor. He raises his head for a moment. His eyes roll back in his head and his face turns white, and then his head falls back and he is silent.

OOC: Contested Sword roll results below. Each enemy knight is splitting his roll 8 and 7 versus his two opponents.
And damage results!
  • Bledri: hits, does 12 base-10 armor=2 damage
  • Briant: hits, does 18 base - 10 armor=8 damage
  • Derek: no damage and no sword
  • Owain: is hit, knight rolls Sword Damage: 5d6 24, Owain takes 24 damage - 10 armor=14 damage (lucky man, that was almost a crit!)
  • Pellogres: hits, does 16 base-16 armor and shield=zero damage
  • Rhun: hits, does 29 base-10 armor=19 damage, enemy knight rolls for Knockdown: 1d20 20 and fumbles, taking 5 damage, also for staying conscious due to Major Wound: 1d20 7 and passes, and finally Valorous: 1d20 15, where he scores a critical! Ruling he manages to get up immediately and keep on keepin' on fails (forgot to factor in Knockdown fall damage)

Go ahead and make your rolls for round four. Two knights left. You can only gang up two on one, though.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 12, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Bran and his ravens will feed well this day, Rhun finds himself thinking as he pulls his sword free of his fallen enemy, stained crimson with blood. There is no time for him to be struck by the enormity of taking another man's life, however - not, admittedly, that he would slow overmuch. It is a savage world these knights live in, and the rules are harsh.

"Sir Owain, Sir Derek! Take a moment and see to your wounds!" Rhun suggests, without much hope that the two wounded knights will actually take his advice; the survival instinct is typically considered a negative trait for a knight, but still, Rhun has no wish to see his fellow knights - men who could perhaps be counted as friends rather than just comrades-in-arms, perhaps - be further wounded. Already the men will be laid up for a month or more, by his guess, healing - and what if their lord has further use for them later in the year?

All of these thoughts, and more, are racing through Rhun's mind as he wheels his mount around, readying his bloodied blade for another attack. As he half-expects Owain to ignore him and keep fighting, his foe will be beset by both Owain and Pellogres; Bledri and Briant have their own foe in hand. As the flow of combat prevents more than two knights from engaging a single foe, that would leave Rhun bereft of a target... except that Sir Elad faces his foe alone, and so Rhun races in that direction, gritting his teeth. Elad's foe is almost certainly a doughtier warrior than those he commanded, so there is risk to be had... but without risk, what reward can there be?

Attacking Sir Elad's opponent:
Sword: 1d20 8

Damage, if needed:
Damage: 5d6 21

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri's arm is heavy, and even though he's only been fighting for a short time, the adrenaline, the fear, and the exertion make him think he's been fighting forever. Raising his sword again, he again cuts at the enemy.

Attack (Sword) Base 15: 1d20 5
Damage: 4d6 12

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

Derek nods at Rhun grateful for his help against the knight before going to get his sword. As he grabs it he turns to the knight defeated by Sir Owain "I'd recommend you toDerek nods at Rhun grateful for his help against the knight before going to get his sword. As he grabs it he turns to the knight defeated by Sir Owain "I'd recommend you to check on your companion's wounds. I’ll check on the other man” Derek says as he checks on the knight downed by sir Rhun not so long ago but without taking an eye on the other knight to give signal if he attemps to escape.

Playing doctor (First Aid <13) please don't miss: 1d20 6

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Pellogres

Pellogres swung wildly, growing frustrated with the constant back and forth of this battle. It seemed no matter what, neither of them were able to injure the other. Unfortunately his frustration seems to cause him to miss, his blade meeting nothing but air. Pellogres curses himself and prepares for the other knight to take advantage, promising to keep himself under better control for his next strike.

Sword: 1d20 18. Basic miss.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sir Owain

Wincing slightly, Owain takes Rhun's advice and retreats a little from the fray. He has felled two foes this day and with only two remaining it is sure that his fellows can carry the battle. No sense in gaining some glory, then aggravating a nasty wound and dying of some avoidable infirmity.

Retreating a bit and fighting defensively if necessary.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant continues his assault on his present foe, but the ease of the battle causes him to lose focus. His blade swings entirely too wide, leaving him open, if Bledri's opponent should try to strike him.

(19. This is gonna suck.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Round Four

Bledri and Briant press the attack against the boxed-in knight. The enemy manages to keep Briant's blade at bay, but Bledri manages another small cut. Slowly they are wearing the man down, but it seems he still has a lot of fight left to give.

Owain rides off, leaving the enemy knight to keep his full attention on Pellogres, whose sword swings wide of the mark. Laughing confidently, the enemy swings his sword... and watches with horror as it flies from his hand, out of sight or reach.

Derek sees that the Owain spared had already started to ride off. The enemy sees Owain approach and laughs bitterly, but then stops and turns to the Salisbury knight, hands raised in surrender. As for Derek, he finds his sword and quickly dismounts to claim it.

Meanwhile, Rhun races his horse toward Sir Elad and comes onto the other side of his opponent. The Marshall exchanges blows, the enemy nicking the hardy old knight slightly. Rhun fares better, landing a strong blow on the foe's shoulder.

OOC:: Derek isn't going to be able to recover his sword *and* perform First Aid the same round. But you can save your roll for next round if you still wish to stabilize one of the fallen enemy knights.

Okay, combat! Let's go ahead and roll for Sir Elad: Sword 20: 1d20 6
Enemy knights' rolls and results: Damage:
  • Knight 1 takes 12 - 10 armor = 2 damage from Bledri.
  • Knight 2 takes no damage obviously.
  • Knight 3 takes 21-10 armor =11 damage from Rhun.
  • And bold Sir Elad himself takes 18 - 10 armor - 6 shield = 2 damage.

Round five has now begun. Holding off on rolls until you guys post, just in case the ganging-up arrangement changes.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Continuing to strike at the opposing knight, Briant swings with waning enthusiasm. The enemy poses little threat in his current predicament, yet he refuses to simply surrender or fall.

(Got a 6 on my Sword roll. If I hit, I'll deal 26 damage.)

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 18, 2013

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri is sweating, the wound the other knight inflicted stinging with the salt of the perspiration. Still, this is no time to give into weariness. He swings at the knight again, willing the fight to be over.

Attack (Sword) Base 15: 1d20 1
Damage: 4d6 18

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Round Five Begins

Bledri and Briant continue to rain blows on their foe. The enemy knight's is wild and parries naught but air, while Bledri lands a solid swing to the knight's left shoulder. Briant's sword is more precise: with a mighty blow, his sword pierces mail, bone, and flesh in the man's midsection.

The hapless knight's eyes roll back and his tongue lolls out limply as he suddenly goes slack. He falls roughly upon his head and his eyes close. His face is grey as ash and his body motionless.

OOC: The knight rolls Sword 8 and Sword 7: 2#1d20 18 18, so two failures. No shield protection for this poor fellow.

Bledri deals 18-10 armor=8 damage and Briant deals 26-10 armor=16 damage for a total of 24 damage this round. In addition, Briant infliced a Major Wound
and potential Knockdown. Basically, this guy is done for... but let's roll to see how badly: Knockdown/Major Wound: 2#1d20 3 13

Made the Knockdown save, but falls unconscious and off his horse anyway. That's another Falling off horse: 1d6 6 damage. You'll want to apply first aid to this guy and chirurgery later if you want a hostage to ransom.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Rhun

Sir Rhun, seeing that Sir Elad's foe has not yet dropped - and that Elad isn't yelling at him to back away and find a new enemy to fight, which the young Pagan had been half-afraid he'd do - presses the attack.

Sword!: 1d20 6
Damage: 5d6 18

It's a middling blow, as Rhun lets his horse carry him just a bit too far past his opponent at the apex of his swing - the beast is getting tired, this has not been a short fight - but he's not embarrassing himself, which is a plus. "Surrender," he cries, "and you will be treated honorably!"

...because what the hell, it's worth a shot.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - Round Five Continues

Seeing himself beset on all sides, Rhun's and Elad's opponent brings his shield close and saves his sword to block and parry. Sir Elad finds the defense frustrating and cannot break through, but Rhun manages another shallow cut. Grunting with displeasure, the knight grimly brings his sword back in line and prepares for the next exchange. "To the death I fight," he says with a growl, "whether it be mine or yours."

The knight facing Pellogres meanwhile has seen none but himself and his leader stand, and even that stalwart knight cannot seem to defend himself for long against the might of Salisbury's defenders. Swordless and desperate, he raises his right hand and cries out, "Hold! I yield!" to Pellogres.

OOC: Sir Elad's roll: Sword 20: 1d20 4
And the enemy knight's roll: Fighting Defensively Sword 13 and Sword 12: 2#1d20 6 4

Beats the Marshall, but not Rhun, who does 18-10 armor-6 shield=2 damage.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bledri

Bledri dismounts and sees to the enemy knight who was just felled. The other man's wounds are bad, as much from falling off his horse as from the damage that he and Sir Briant inflicted, and Bledri can tell he is near death. Desperately, Bledri tries to staunch the man's wounds, but they are too great, and Bledri watches him fade.

First Aid 10: 1d20 19

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Seeing that only one foe remains, and is clearly well in hand between Rhun and their commander, Briant sets to ensuring that their quarry lives long enough to make them all a few pounds. Seeing the severity of the injuries borne by the most recently felled knight, he attempts to tend to the man, but can't seem to stop the bleeding. His size may have something to do with it, he considers, his massive hands clumsily trying to staunch the bleeding.

(Got a 17 on my First Aid, no sale.)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Sir Owain

Owain also tries to tend to the fallen knights, but alas what little he knows of healing fails to apply here. The power of prayer will save them, or nothing will.

First Aid < 12: 1d20 19. Fail.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Sir Pellogres

Sir Pellogres grips his sword and swings his charger around for another pass but, as he brings his sword back for another thrust, his opponent throws his arms up in surrender. The heat of battle is strong, and Pellogres has almost lost himself in rage, but the sight of the other man asking for mercy snaps the young knight to his senses. Rearing his horse back, Sir Pellogres sheathes his sword and extends a hand to the other man. Pellogres's face had been humorless during the battle, but now his expression softens and he smiles warmly to the other man.

"You fought well, Sir Knight, and proved yourself nearly my equal. Shall we try to help your fellows? If you are a better medic than my companions, you might be of great assistance."

With that, Pellogres steps down from his horse, preparing to try and assist with saving the lives of the other knights. While the enemy leader was still standing, he was quite handled at this point, and there would be no point in getting in the way of Rhun's blows. While Pellogres is no great healer, he should at least try.

First, I decided to have Pellogres make a check on Merciful to see what might happen there. Merciful?: 1d20 8, passed quite easily there, so Pellogres isn't going to be a dick. Looks like we're all morons when it comes to first aid though. First Aid?: 1d20 14.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Derek

Not sure if you saw my post on the OOC thread but just to be sure. I'm keeping my roll

After picking his sword. Derek rushed to one of the injured knights ((OOC: Pick any knight not being treated/who can be helped with my previous roll)) "Just keep breathing" he started saying as if it was a mantra while checking on the downed knight, this was done mostly to keep himself calmed.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
OOC: Just to be clear, the only combat left is between Rhun, Elad, and the remaining knight. For everyone else, I'm going to let you reroll failed First Aid (Dereku, you can keep your success) and have you roll again once I put up the exact wounds the knights have taken. The reason for that is that you roll First Aid for every light wound (DCB discussed this in the IC thread; I'm just summarizing here).

Also, you still have Coins, which means you can ensure six successful First Aid rolls and if you're rolling on someone else's behalf, net yourself 50 extra Glory. The Coins will be wasted if you don't use them this scenario; since there's not likely to be any important rolls after these, I recommend taking advantage. You will get a new Coin in the summer scenario coming up.

I'm in a cafe right now, but will be at a hotel room with wi-fi later this afternoon... I'll put up the wound tallies then and let you guys have at your makeshift medieval field hospital.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I will go ahead and use my coin to make Pellogres less terrible at first aid, and see if we can get a prisoner to ransom out of this mess.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Ah, see, I didn't know if we were waiting on a Round Five wrap-up/start of Round Six post. Let's get to fightin', then!

"I'm sorry to hear that," Sir Rhun tells his (and Elad's) foe. "So be it, then." He grips his sword tightly, wheeling his horse around as the mounted combat shifts and ebbs... and lifts his sword above his head, drawing breath and releasing it in a loud, wordless war cry...

Because ending the combat soon would be awesome, I will be taking an incredibly foolish risk by using the Berserk Attack Tactic. It works like this:

1) I give my opponent a free attack. Now, because he is still fighting Elad, that means the enemy knight's attack and Elad's attack are resolved first. I might get lucky and the guy might decide to only attack Elad, but if he doesn't, then any attack on me is unopposed; I'm giving him a free shot.

2) If I survive that attack, then I get an unopposed attack on him, with a +10 to my skill (making my Sword an effective 25).

Sword!: 1d20 18

Which will be a crit!

Critical Damage: 10d6 36

So, this is almost certainly the last round of the fight for Rhun - he's either going to get badly injured, or he's gonna end this fool. We'll see. Heh.

Also, I'm gonna use my Coin to make Briant's First Aid roll stop being a failure and become a success.

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
i'll use my coin on Rhun opponent if he chooses to attack him if he decides to go for Elad instead of the free shot then use it on Sir Bledri's roll ((If conditioning the coin is too gamey then just use it on Sir Bledri))

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Spring - The Victorious Knights

Sir Elad and the enemy knight clash swords and the Marshall adds one more nick to his foe. The knight in turn manages a shallow cut on Rhun, who responds with a savage blow that sends rings of mail and a gush of blood into the air. With a terrible groan, the man clutches at the pommel of his saddle as he slips from his horse to the earth.

And with that, the skirmish is over. The Marshall dismounts, surveying the aftermath. He looks up and his face purples. Following his line of sights, you see a figure on a black charger. He turns and his horse kicks up dust as he gallops away. "The Steward of Levcomagus again dares to despoil the Earl's lands," Sir Elad says darkly. "Sir Blains knows only spite. "

But the Steward is already well out of the Salisbury knights' grasp. The broken bodies of his servants clamor for their attention now.

OOC: The enemy knight's roll: Sword 5 v Elad and 10 v Rhun: 2#1d20 3 6
And Sir Elad's roll: Sword 20: 1d20 16

Sir Elad's damage to the knight: Damage: 5d6 17 -10 armor - 6 shield = 1 damage
And the knight's damage to Rhun: Damage roll v Rhun: 5d6 16 - 10 armor = 6 damage

Rhun inflicts 36 - 10 = 26 damage, which will take him out. Let's see if he manages a graceful tumble from his horse. He passes---Horsemanship 15: 1d20 10---so no extra damage at least....

And onto the enemy knights' wounds! These are the wounds they've suffered. You can roll a First Aid wound for each separate wound, healing 1d3 hit points per successful roll (1d3+3 on a critical success).
Total HP/Wounds
  • Knight 1 (Owain's crit): -4 hit points/32 hp wound
  • Knight 2 (Briant's crit): 3 hit points/25 hp wound (note: he isn't in immediate danger of death, but still will need chirugery)
  • Knight 3 (Owain's and Rhun's surrender): 13 hit points/15 hp wound
  • Knight 4 (Pellogres and Owain): 26 hit points/2 hp wound
  • Knight 5 (Bledri and Briant): -6 hit points/2 hp wound, 8 hp wound, 2 hp wound, 8 hp wound, 16 hp wound, 6 hp wound
  • Knight 6 (Rhun's crit): 3 hit points/19 hp wound, 5 hp wound (like knight 2, unconscious and badly hurt, but not about to die)
  • Knight 7 (Elad and Rhun): -1 hp/2 hp wound, 1 hp wound, 26 hp wound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"What a waste," Rhun remarks as he cleans and sheathes his sword, looking down at the final knight; his own wounds are painful, true, but at least his blood isn't spilling in gouts like this poor bastard's. "You should have surrendered, fellow; such valor is too precious to be squandered on petty raids. Let's see if we can't keep you from Bran's ravens for just a bit longer, eh?"

With that he sets about trying to save the life of the man he just almost killed, frowning as Sir Elad mentions Sir Blains, but remaining silent; it sounds as though there's a story there, and he's sure their mentor will tell it to them soon enough.

First Aid: 1d20 4

OOC: Whoo, a success! I'll be applying it to Knight 7 to stabilize him (all knights with an HP total of 0 or less need stabilization). He's still at -1 HP, though, so let's see if we can't fix him up. He has three wounds, which means First Aid can be applied three times; I'm going to roll all three to expedite matters, just to get it all done and out of the way - but the GM doesn't have to allow this, so if ibntumart wants to ignore any or all of these rolls he is entitled to do so.

First Aid, x3: 3#1d20 10 9 16

This means I've successfully applied First Aid to two wounds: his -2 and his -1 wound. I failed to do so for his Major Wound, sadly. In addition, the first roll was a critical success - go team me! Now, each successful First Aid roll gives the guy back 1d3 HP, and the crit gives him back 1d3+3. However, those totals cannot exceed the number of HP lost to the wound!

What this means is that I apply 1d3+3 HP of healing to his 2 HP wound; with a minimum roll of 4 HP, I an guaranteed to heal the 2 HP wound. Any remaining HP gained are wasted. I then apply 1d3 HP to his 1 HP wound; again, I cannot roll lower than the degree of the wound itself, so there's no point in rolling. His 2 and 1 point wounds go away, and now Knight Seven has 2 HP total, with a 26 HP wound still suffered. He will need Chirurgery (everyone whose HP goes below 0 needs Chirurgery even if they didn't suffer a Major Wound), but he's not going to die on the way back home.

Further First Aid will not help him, as First Aid can only be applied - successfully or unsuccessfully - once per wound, so sadly, no one can run up and patch up the guy's -26 hp wound after Rhun tried and failed to heal him with it. His health is in the Chirurgeons' hands now.

After doing all he can to assist the fallen knight, Rhun straightens, and looks to the sky, murmuring a small prayer of thanks to his pagan deities that he and his allies have survived this day. He does so under his breath, however, knowing that his fellows do not share his beliefs; there have been enough fights this day. Then he turns to his fellows, who by now have almost certainly completed their own attempts to heal those that they fought only moments before, and grins. "Well fought, my friends! I am glad to see that we have all survived, even if some of us are a bit worse for the wear." Here he places a hand over his still-bleeding shield arm and laughs a rueful little laugh. "I should not have let the man's bravado get to me so, I fear. My apologies, Sir Elad."

Glory This Game: 11
Experience Checks: Loyalty (Lord), Sword, First Aid (if ibntumart allows me to keep those First Aid rolls)

(note that as I had already critted my Sword earlier, my second crit during my Berserk Attack is wasted; I do not get a second Experience Check)

• Locked thread