Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

(I SWEAR I HAVEN'T HACKED OROKOS. 10 on Hunting, with a skill of 10. And, given my newly-earned reputation, I'm gonna guess at least one of my dear pals is following me. The boar succeeded, but did not crit, not that it matters. The range for the surprise attack would be 3 yards. So not quite enough to make a melee attack. I'll be holding action until whoever decides to follow me catches up and we can get a full round of melee combat going.)

Briant, spurred on by the expectations he'd built up in the days prior, quickly tracks the boar, using every ounce of his cunning and guile, preferring to trust in his own abilities than rely on someone else's. He'll not allow his company to be defeated by some upstarts from Silchester. When he sights the beast, he realizes he can't quite close the distance by himself, and knows he has no skill with a bow. Instead, he stays his hand until the others can arrive, he can explain it away as wanting to give them all a chance to share in the glory, if any should ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

Is it too late to follow Sir Briant the Great?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
OOC: Not too late. Any of you can choose to follow Briant, and in fact, probably should! Otherwise you're going to just spend a few hours to get to the kill site and have to ride home empty-handed.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 26, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sir Rhun

At Lindsey

"It's not the company that bothers me, Bledri," Rhun tells his fellow knight, a wry little smirk playing about his lips. "I am indeed honored to be present for such an assemblage. It is just that I have so very little to do. The hunt will help, though, you are right." Rhun knows that Bledri is correct, of course, but still, the inaction wears on him. "It would help," he admits, "if there were more maidens about." He laughs, then, claps Bledri on the shoulder, and sets off to prepare.

On The Hunt

Rhun is no great huntsman, and makes no bones about it; thus, when Briant sets off in the lead, Rhun follows him without complaint. Briant is, after all, one of the better Huntsmen he knows, and Rhun is proud, but not a fool.

I woulda followed either Grigor or Briant even without knowing his roll; those guys've got a Hunting of 10. Beats hell out of the 2 that most of us are rocking.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Sir Pellogres

Intrigue was a wash. Intrigue?: 1d20 9

Might as well try a courtesy roll to see if he comforts himself well enough, though. Courtesy: 1d20 15. Aaaaand that's a crit.

Sir Pellogres spends the time waiting at Lindsey trying his best to fit in amongst the other knights, though his usual shyness overtakes him too often for him to find any particularly useful information. Still, by now he understands the ways of the court quite well by this time, and, as the other knights wait aimlessly for the Duke to arrive, Pellogres decides to seek out friendly, familiar faces, hobnobbing quite effectively with his fellow vassal knights and trying to ingratiate himself. Sir Pellogres seems to match even the ever-talkative Sir Briant this day in the war of words, and manages to impress just as successfully.

Once the hunt begins, though, Pellogres knows better than to attempt to go it alone and, quite logically, decides to follow the lead of Sir Briant, by far the better hunter. "I hope you do not mind, Sir Briant, but I know little of these arts and would prefer to stay by the side of one more experienced. My skills tend more on the martial and courtly side than that of athletic pursuits such as hunting. I hope I may learn some lessons from you this day, of course." Pellogres offers a warm smile to his comrade before they set off in pursuit, finding the quarry with incredible ease thanks to Briant's uncanny abilities in this field.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
OOC: I'll wait till I get home from work this morning, then forge ahead with both the hunting scene and the feast scene.

My assumption is that Grigor and Derek will follow Briant. As well they should. Everything's coming up Sir Briant and surely my saying that will not in any way jinx Orokos!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - Their Quarry Is Cornered

Lindsey, prior to the hunt

Sir Briant finds Sir Pellogres to be stout competition in the friend-making and name-spreading arena, but once people realize they are members of the same company, both men find their reputations bolstered even more. The Knights of the Hound may not yet be famous throughout Britain, but at Lindsey at least, members of that company find drink, food, and conversation are freely shared and tales of their deeds in great demand.

The boar discovered

Sir Briant sights the boar's spoor with uncommon speed, and from there, leads the Knights of the Hound with unerring accuracy racing through the wild. It is not yet a half hour gone and your prey is sighted: a great boar, snuffling at the earth several yards away. It does not yet see you, but any moment, it will catch sound or scent of the knights and their horses. Now is the time to act.

OOC: You can go after the boar on horseback or on foot, though you should know that a boar will attack your horse rather than the knight. That's the only target he can reach, after all! Also, boars have a nasty tendency to fight after receiving a mortal wound.

That said, let me know what your knight is doing! The boar will split his Tusks 18 equally between the first two people who post attacks.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Sir Briant

As the leader of the hunting party, and one of the unofficial representatives of his humble company of knights, Briant launches into the first attack, swinging his blade at the boar from atop his horse, that he might gain the height advantage he's grown so fond of. As he does, he holds in his heart the desire to bring glory and renown not just to himself, but to his comrades. Briant is not foolish enough to believe he could have accomplished any of his recent deeds on his own, his companions have proven to be by far his greatest asset, and the time has come to show his gratitude through his preferred method of applying excessive violence to things that can't adequately fight back given current battlefield conditions. Besides, if they don't slay the boar, the glory would go to Silchester, and Briant would never allow that sort of embarrassment to befall him, or his friends.

(So, that's a Passion roll for Loyalty to my bros, 16 under 18, the +10 goes to Sword, as always. Assuming I do still enjoy a Mounted Bonus for riding my horse, I nail a crit with my boosted Sword skill, which sits at 34. This leads, in turn, to 42 damage.)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

Bledri rides up on the boar after Briant. While it isn't exactly proper to hunt boar mounted with a sword, its the weapon Bledri has at hand, after all, and Bledri isn't foolish enough to go after it on foot with a boar spear. He slices down at the beast.

Attacking (Sword 15): 1d20 13
Damage: 4d6 15

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - The Hunt Over, The Feast At Hand

Briant smites the boar with a fearsome blow, his sword fair cleaving the bristled beast. Briant's blade sticks the beast and pins it in its death throes, ensuring that it can exact no last gore or bite as revenge. And so it is the Knights of the Hound return with barely an hour and a half gone, a great boar neatly taken and not a single scratch upon them. Cheers ring through the courtyard, praising the skill and bravery of the men of Salisbury, and you even spy Uther upon a rampart, smiling down at you.

As for the Earl, he is fair beaming at your return. The reason for his order to hunt today becomes clear: he and Duke Ulfius had a wager as to who were the better hunters, the knights of Silchester or Salisbury. Today your prowess has won him both treasure and acclaim... and yourself as well, for he presses coins into each of your hands. OOC: Worth half £1 apiece.

Thus the week before Lindsey arrived did pass, with your company showing your quality and never lacking for friendship or respect from your knightly peers. But of course, the Duke did arrive and Uther at last had his due hospitality.

Though as you gather under the roof of the castle's great hall, you cannot help but note that while the food and drink are plentiful, they are somewhat lacking in grandeur. You each have had feasts as sumptuous in your own manor, excellent for a knight but meager for a king. Yet Uther betrays no rancor, and speaks no ill of nor toward Lindsey, but speaks with great civility to his host. Lindsey for his part does not let words cross into insult, but it is plain that he suffers this visit reluctantly.

After everyone has had ample time to gorge upon meat and drink, Lindsey calls for entertainment. Bards pluck at their instruments and recite tales of dead heroes and battles long since won or lost. Perhaps an hour or so into the storytelling, Uther casts his eyes about the hall, alighting on Sir Grigor at last. He calls out to him thus: "Sir Grigor! I wot well you sang a goodly tale this Christmas past. I bid you and Sir Briant to come before us and tell this gathering the adventure of the Sword Lake. Let the other Knights of the Hound stand with you, as they did then."

OOC: You will want to make Singing or Orate skills. You can make a Compose roll beforehand if you want: +5 to the Singing/Orate roll on a success, +10 on a critical, and -5 on a fumble.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

(I barely avoid a Fumble on that Compose roll. Orate, however, succeeds on a 2, under 5! I had to stop critting at some point.)

Briant provides the prelude to Grigor's song by telling the tale of the hunt more simply. He'd tried to think of something on the way back, but hadn't been able to come up with much, so the speech was largely improvised. "This morning's hunt was truly a noble endeavor! As we and our valiant counterparts from Silchester set off, I chanced upon some very clear signs of the beast's travels, and bade my comrades follow. We followed the tracks, and as fortune would have it, the boar made himself easy to find. We struck as one, and though mine own blade felled the creature in a single stroke, theirs flew just as keen and full of the valor all Englishmen share!" While Briant noted his own role in the hunt's success, he downplayed his pride in it, speaking of his accomplishments more like good fortune than skill, despite everyone knowing full well that catching a boar that quickly requires great skill indeed. He made sure to speak well of his comrades, that they would receive recognition and esteem, even though Briant did hunt down and slay the boar single-handedly. His personal glory might be important to him, but the glory of his friends was just as important. For what good are friends if they are not influential enough to be of use?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

As the Earl presses coins into the hands of his knights, Sir Rhun smiles faintly... but, perhaps unexpectedly, speaks before accepting his Lord's largesse. "My Earl, your kindness and generosity is without peer... but, I beg of you, favor me not with this gift. Let it instead pass unto the Duke, our gracious host, that in some small way may he see that his own hospitality and generosity is appreciated, and reciprocated." He argues, in short, that the Duke deserves a kickback.

Now, a lesser - or more cynical - man than Rhun might allow some sarcasm to creep into his voice, some hint that he finds the Duke's behavior to be unbecoming; to any who bother to look, however, Rhun seems entirely sincere, for sincere he is. Duke Lindsey clearly has not been delighted to have the High King and his entourage pay him a visit, after all, and even the Earl has made no secret of friction between the Duke and his liege; were not his own words 'The Duke is a member of the Supreme Collegium and a vassal of the King's... but of late, a vassal slow to obey orders or even negligent'? Rhun, therefore, figures that a bit of ready generosity, a kind gesture, might in some small way serve to urge reconciliation between the two. The coins are a pittance to a lord as great as the Duke of Lincoln, of course, but then, a knight of Rhun's humble stature could hardly be expected to pass along even this trifling sum. It is the gesture, not the quantity of wealth, that he hopes will be counted.

.....and, in truth... well, Briant has his goals for renown, and Rhun has his. It cannot hurt to have any onlookers remark as to the generous spirit of 'that Pagan knight of Salisbury,' after all.

At the feast, Rhun sees that his assessment of the friction between Duke and King to have been correct, but he takes his cue from his High King, and strives mightily to be courteous and properly grateful; the food is good, after all, even if it is not so lavish. As the band of knights is called forth he rises to stand with his fellows, but lets Grigor and Briant speak, as King Uther has commanded, without butting in.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - The Knights Address the Court Briefly

The hall quickly falls quiet, the knights holding their audience's rapt attention. Yet this time, the recitation is cut short just as you get to Merlin's leavetaking with the sword.King Uther bursts out, "Nay, good knights, but surely this is Merlin's tale now to continue! Merlin, can you tell us more of this sword?" The king's eyes twinkle as he asks the Archdruid. Merlin, for his part, sighs and stands, turning to face the hall from his seat near the king.

"All know the name Excalibur," Merlin intones, "The sword of kings, forged in Avalon in an ancient age well before any man's foot graced British soil. Never has it been belted at a king's side but that it was drawn for mighty deeds. Never has it served in an unjust man's hands but he were humbled. This is the sword of destiny, the sword of power, which even the most righteous dare not dream to ever glimpse... but tonight you shall!"

Merlin draws forth a sword from his robes and holds it aloft for all to see. It is Excalibur, which shines so bright that its gleam banishes all shadow from the hall. He steps to King Uther and gives him the blade. As he grips the blade and stands before Merlin, you cannot help but notice Lindsey and the knights at his table lean forward. The awe on their faces is unconcealable: disdain has turned to astonishment and even respect.

The feast goes on with Uther and Lindsey sharing a table and the Earl, as he has had much cause to do of late, coming to commend the Knights of the Hound for their service. He passes on other praise, too: "His Majesty is much pleased with this evening's event and marks well your part in aiding Merlin. He wishes to invite the neighboring kings to Lindsey and has asked for the most trusted knights as messengers. You number, of course, among the envoys he asked me to send. Make merry tonight, but take leave in the morning, for you are bound to Eburacum to invite the Centurion King to Lindsey forthwith."

OOC: You each get 10 Glory for standing up to help tell the story, plus another 15 Glory each for watching Uther's "diplomacy" unfold.

You all know that the Centurion King is Heraut de Aprés, King of Malahaut, and that Eburacum is an old Roman fortress city. Malahaut is in Cambria and is a fairly powerful kingdom. You probably won't be attacked by his men or denied hospitality, but you won't be particularly welcome either and should be cautious.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

(First off, as is customary for me in a social situation, here's my shmoozing roll du jour: http://orokos.com/roll/251524)

As soon as Earl Roderick had left, a stunned Briant turned to his companions, speaking more quietly than normal, that his voice doesn't carry far. "I am amazed at how rapidly things are moving, I can scarcely keep pace with how quickly our legend is growing. Perhaps we should disclose our long-term goals, that we don't find ourselves at odds, for such petty conflict could put an end to us. As you've no doubt noticed, I have been working hard to ingratiate myself with good Sir Hywel, and while I've deep respect for all my brother knights, t'would be a most foul untruth not to admit that his daughter's future inheritance plays a role in that. What of you, dear fellows? What prizes do you seek, that we may more effectively pursue our goals?" Briant had been meaning to broach this subject for some time, and only now that they are being sent as official royal envoys does Briant consider the matter unavoidable. The other Knights of the Hound surely had their own plans, and the last thing Briant wanted as for infighting to undo their years of success.

Aside from this most important conversation, Briant spends the remainder of dinner conversing with nearby knights, not so much aiming to add to his already excellent reputation, but more to cement, and possibly spread, the earlier positive impression he'd given the other members of the embassy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Rhun can't help it; he quirks an eyebrow at Briant, unable to restrain a small, lopsided smile. "I'm sure she will feel valued and flattered by your heartfelt attention." The Pagan shakes his head, chuckling. "I am no planner, Sir Briant. I intend to serve my Lord and my King as best I am able, and to demonstrate my worth as a Knight, demonstrating similarly the worth of my faith. More than that would be beyond me; I am no schemer, no Roman. What will be will be as the Gods will it." Rhun claps his fellow Knight of the Hound on the shoulder, grinning to demonstrate his lack of malice, and wanders off to join some of the more festive feasters; once some music starts up, he joins in the dancing as though he hasn't a care in the world. Because, well, he probably doesn't.

Dancing: 1d20 8

Whoooo I finally don't screw up a social roll badly

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

Bledri, while he's honored by the attention paid to the company, and while he love Sir Rhun as a brother, still can't help but feel that Merlin is a bit of charlatan and not entirely reputable. Take this sword Excalibur, for instance, that Merlin so ostentatiously presented to the king. No doubt that it is renowned in legend (if this sword is in truth the legendary Excalibur), but swords, even the best swords (and Excalibur was, by reputation, one of the best swords), were tools. They needed a man to wield them, and it was the strength and righteousness of the man that determined the battle. Now, relics could be imbued with divine power. Of that, Bledri had no doubt, but as far as he knew, no saint had ever wielded Excalibur. No, Bledri had little faith in magic, and even less in Merlin.

Later, when Sir Briant asks his question, Bledri considers it. Then he considers it some more. Finally, he answers. "Sir Briant", he says, "You are talented in the ways of court. You are swift of tongue and quick to make friends. I lack such a skill. I suppose I must marry someday, and I wish my wife to be a credit to me and to her family, and to, if not enrich or ennoble me, at least leave me no poorer than I was before. I don't know how I can achieve that, though. I want to see the Saxons driven out of the land, and my land enriched. I don't know how to achieve that either. I want to find my brother Arwel, who has been missing all this time, for he is my only brother, and but a boy."

Beyond that, though, it seems that I must win my reputation doing great deeds on the battlefield, for I have no great skill at court. I hope I have answered your question."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - Preparing for Malahaut

The knights acquit themselves well in the remainder of the evening's celebrations, Rhun dancing merrily and Briant ensuring that no one forgets the name or deeds of he and his fellow Knights of the Hound. But eventually, the last cup of wine is tossed back and the final song played, and ere long, the knights join the rest of the household in seeking out their bed for the night.

The morning comes all too quickly and soon each of you is ordering your squire to pack your horses and prepare for travel. They do so under your gaze as you enjoy a hasty but hardy breakfast upon the greens: leftover venison, bread, and cheese. One of the Earl's servants approaches you as you break bread, a young man beside him. "Good morrow, good sirs," the servant says. "The Earl bid me present Sir Elias, newly knighted this Spring, and wishes him to ride with your company to Eburacum." He leaves courteously but quickly, allowing the new knight and the more seasoned Knights of the Hound to make their introductions.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant waved the new knight over to the group. "Well met, Sir Elias, come and join us, that we might all become well-acquainted 'ere we set off." Briant liked this new knight already, as he shared his name with Briant's great-grandfather, a knight of significant renown, and the most recent ancestor Briant could feel proud about. "I am Briant of Newton, I suppose t'would behoove me to apologize for being so oft talked-about. 'Tis likely you're quite tired of hearing my name, I'm sure!" He gave a great belly laugh at his self-deprecation. Naturally, he was not the least bit sorry for all the talk he inspired, but a show of humility makes for a good first impression.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Sir Elias

Elias stepped forward, and gave a respectful incline of his head to Sir Briant. "I thank you for your welcome, sir Briant. To hear the tales is a delight. Much greater will it be to be part of them." The young knight was of handsome build, with a patrician nose and raven hair. Idly, he wondered as to the reason he was attached to the band of the Hound? Was it but to offer assistance in their diplomatic envoy, or to have an eye on them? Sir Briant was an impressive presence

"I hail from Winterbourne Stoke, not too far north from both Newton and Stapleford. I fear not combat or Saxon, yet I sought this engagement. Things that are hidden from a king or his direct vassal with great diligence might yet be heard by a young knight. Vigilance is half of my family's motto. And each thing we learn from the Centurion King might aid King Uther in his designs."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

"Well met to thee, Sir Elias," calls over Sir Rhun, the Pagan rising and crossing to meet the newcomer. "I am Rhun of Broughton, and I bid thee welcome to our company. Have you broken your fast?" He gestures to the repast the knights have been enjoying, offering Elias the opportunity to dig in. "If Sir Briant is done reminding us all of his fame," and here Rhun's eyes twinkle with mischief, his voice teasing, "perhaps you will tell us of yourself and of how matters have fared since our departure from Salisbury, eh? Sir Elad is well, I trust?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

Bledri looks up from his bowl and grunts welcome to the newcomer. They were a contentious bunch up at Winterborne Stoke, he knew, spending most of their time in one quarrel or another, both with their immediate neighbors and each other. There was some argument with the lord of Chitterne over a fish weir, he thought, but he was damned if he could remember the details. So, he listens to the new man for news of Salisbury.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Going to move us along when I get back from work. Lager, you can have Pellogres have introduced himself in a quick flashback if you don't have s chance to post before then.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Sir Elias

Elias smiled. "Sir Elad is still well, and yet instills terror and obedience in squires as is his wont." he said with a jest. "Otherwise, things are calm, to my knowledge. Many await the news of both our efforts here, and the raids upon the Saxons. I suspect Sir Briant will have an attentive audience upon our return, should he wish to grace them with his songs." He sat down and shared the meal with the others. Sir Rhun's jibe at Sir Briant could mean many things. Either the two men were close friends enough that such a joke was no matter, or Sir Rhun felt he needed a humbling? Not wishing to cause offense, Elias did not continue on that joke. "Ah, there is not yet much to say of me, yet. My father Sir Semond died when I was young, and I was raised by my mother and uncle. Our family is known for some skill at treating wounds in combat, and I have given this tradition my diligence."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - The Embassy to Malahaut

Having made their introductions with their new companion, Bledri, Briant, Elias, Pellogres, and Rhun begin the journey to Eburacum in the kingdom of Malahaut. The weather is fair most of the way and they are able to make it to the border within the week, camping by the road at night and supplementing their rations with the odd hare or partridge. Along the way, you have ample time to think on what you know of Eburacum. Founded by an ancient king of Britain, Eburacus, who ruled when King David was lord of Judea, the city was prosperous and large. The Romans built a fort and walls around it when they conquered Cambria.

Nowadays it is the royal seat of Malahaut. King Heraut de Aprés had a castle built therein and it is there that you travel. On the final day of your journey, the company comes to the great Ouse River and follows it northwest for the morning, up to the point where it diverges. You are at the Old City, where humble houses are built upon the remains of once greater Roman villas. You can see the old Roman walls fully encircle the city on the other side of the Ouse, and to the north, up to where the Ouse's tributary forks yet again. A motte and bailey castle rises at the southernmost point where the walls and the Ouse meet. There are two Roman gates along the south and you can make one in the north as well by a large church.

You are not stopped, nor greeted, as you ride through the dirt road through the Old City. But guards are stationed at the several bridges connecting the Old City to the Royal City, and even more at the gates, and they eye you warily as you draw near. They say nothing, however, for it is the place of the visiting knight to state his purpose and ask permission to meet the lord of wheresover he seeks entry.

OOC: Basically, you need to shout out who you are and what you want entering into the Royal City. You can try for Courtesy or some other relevant roll if you want to add some extra politeness or leverage to your request, just keep in mind you don't want to inadvertently insult anyone in the process!

Also, I will just say right now this is not worth spending a Coin on. Especially since the PCs might really need one in a bit, depending on how their choices in the near future.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Confidently leading his horse up to the gate, Briant addresses the guards. "Greetings, we are knights on envoy from King Uther Pendragon, with a message for your lord. We humbly request entry and audience with the king." Briant kept it short and to-the-point. These were not knights, and they would have no special love of flowery language. If anything, it would serve to irritate them.

(14 on the Courtesy to get us in with a minimum of fuss.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Rhun remains astride his horse, glancing hither and yon and otherwise looking unconcerned. They are, after all, envoys; it's not as though the guards will assault them. Why, that would be madness! Having nothing to add to Briant's request, he keeps his mouth shut and wonders what sort of women they've got in this town.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Elias too has little to add to Briant's introduction. Yet his eyes linger on the guards. How do they react to the name of his sovereign? How well are they equipped to handle any fights, and how nervous are they about expecting any problems? Do their faces testify of diligence and discipline? The answers to these questions might reveal much, or they might have trivial reason, but it never harms to notice.

Roll against Awarenesss 10: 1d20 8

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - An Absent King

Elias gleans little from the guards' reaction, though in itself perhaps that is telling. The name of Uther Pendragon does not seem to interest them. Indeed, their response to Briant bears witness to their indifference.

"Our lord is not here to grant you hospitality," a guard calls down. "For he guides his army 'gainst Saxons in the east and no foreign knight, whoever his king or his mission be, shall enter his castle without his leave, nor pass through either gate to the Royal City. You may await his return in the city. Or the seneschal of the old castle may grant you quarters if there is room."

Rhun notices a small group of townspeople watch him and his companions with idle curiosity. The women here are much the same as in Salisbury, though their clothing is perhaps a bit less worn and of finer material.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Rhun, dashing young man that he is, preens a bit when he notices the townspeoples' scrutiny. He's nice to look at, after all. And he knows it. The guardsman's response, however, draws only a curt nod; if he's letting Briant do all the talking, after all, it would be foolish of him to interject now.

If he does not respond to the guards, though, he does use a lower voice to address his fellows. "Mayhap we, too, could journey east to find the King. We were charged to deliver the invitation forthwith, after all." Plus, Saxons to kill. He doesn't add that last part out loud. In this company he really shouldn't need to.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant hears that the good king of Malahaut is off fighting the Saxon dogs, and immediately jumps at the chance to make up for the opportunity he'd forewent to join the embassy. "Indeed, we must deliver this missive forthwith, and as the Saxons are our common enemies, we'd relish the chance to wet our blades upon a few of them in the process, most certainly." Briant, usually reserved and laconic, does seem quite enthused about the prospect of striking down some Saxon dogs.

(Briant succeeds in hating Saxons enough to get pumped up, and boosts his Courtesy skill to 25 with the goal of getting us some form of guidance towards where the king of Malahaut is killing Saxons, partly to complete our mission, and partly so Briant can kill some Saxons. Everyone needs a hobby, y'know. And he nailed the skill check.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487

While the knights dicuss amongst themselves, the guards at the gate do also. Presently one calls down, "An you choose not to abide idly, but be men of action, or your message is of such grave import it can brook little delay, then you may seek our lord in the field. Promise but to guard the safety of our chosen guide with what honor and skill you possess, however, for there are many Saxons lurking in the heath along the way, most eager to prey upon the good folk of this land."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant pounds his fist against his breastplate in salute. "No harm shall befall your man while any of us draw breath, and no Saxon dog could ever best us, not even if we were on our worst day, and he his best."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - The Knights Set Off

The guard accepts Sir Briant's promise and presently one of their men comes down. He carries no sword, but rather a long dagger, spear, and bow, and sports but hardened leather for armor. Still, he has a confident demeanor and wastes no time setting up his horse and preparing to guide your company. He introduces himself as Brevan and bids your company follow him east toward the king's camp.

Brevan mentions that the camp is perhaps a day's full ride from last reports, but that the raiders are cunning and strike here and there. "My liege may well have uprooted and given chase if he has found their main company," he says in-between bites of a bruised apple. "And we set out late this morning, so I doubt o'ermuch we shall hap upon his camp till late tomorrow." This seems correct to you at your current pace, though it is somewhat languid: harder riding might save a night camping in the open.

Your thoughts are interrupted by the sound of screams and the waft of black smoke round a hillock. Brevan's hands tighten upon his reins. "Saxons," he hisses,"Or else bandits who seek opportunity in these days of strike. That is Mark Halfhand's stead yonder and I wot well he is a peaceable man." He looks upon you and urges your journey be delayed to take action.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

Rhun, aside from a cheery greeting to Brevan, has been largely content to let Briant do the talking. It seems to make him happy, after all. But seeing the column of black smoke and hearing screams, Rhun... must still be content to let Briant do the talking, because without a word - without waiting to see if such an act would be joined by his companions or even, for that matter, permissible - Rhun turns to his squire, who has already brought the knight's Charger forward. He switches mounts and rides towards the smoke, intent on finding whoever is responsible and giving them ample cause to regret this day's destruction.

There's a fight over there! Rhun's gonna go get in the fight. What's that? Asking permission? Checking to see if he rides off alone? Yeah, those are unimportant matters.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Briant spent most of the riding making simple conversation with their guide, playing the part of the sociable and friendly knight. He was relieved to see the Saxon dogs, though he'd have preferred to face them head-on, without helpless peasants being threatened. "No knight of England could ignore an innocent in peril, nor could any knight of England ignore an encroachment by those most detestable and vile of creatures, the Saxons. We shall exterminate the Saxon vermin and return momentarily!" Briant's squire had brought Briant his sword during the first sentence, and the massive knight was off and charging for the second. He rides alongside Rhun, not to be outdone by the Pagan bon vivant.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Sir Elias

Elias nods as they are accompanied. by the man. He is mostly quiet, though he rides close to Sir Briant and Brevan. It is said that one hears much more if one is quiet, and so Sir Elias kept his silence and sought to learn more of their companion and his lord. Then, alarrum is called as enemies present themselves. The new companion of the Hount too is soon armed with a sharp blade, though he briefly tarries, looking back at their guide, who they are oath bound to keep safe, and whose death would be an ill omen for their chances. "Keep yourself to safety. Should you face dangers beyond you, call on us." With that, he spurred his horse, following his new fellows in their charge.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sir Bledri

"We are commanded to take Brevan to his liege without delay", Bledri warns. "But if we must do this, let us do it quickly. Stay back, Brevan, for you are not as well armed as we, and I would not you find yourself in difficulty and make us foreswear our oath to keep you safe." With that, he rides, more slowly towards the fighting.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Summer 487 - Once More Into the Fray

Brevan protests the order to stay, but obeys nonetheless.

The Knights of the Hound charge up the small hillock and see a tableau of Saxon cruelty. Several flaxen-haired men throw hay onto a small burning home or take axes to the enclosures or frame. A couple of others stand guard over a woman and her son, cords about their wrists and ankles, and make them watch as a fellow pillager pushes a dark-haired man onto the ground. He and his friends begin to kick him. Behind them all, a huge man with an axe stands next to an armored man on a horse, wearing a bronze helmet, regarding the scene with quiet enjoyment.

The axe-man spies the company come over the hill and shouts in his barbarian tongue, "Lōciaŝ! Cnihtas! Maciaŝ rǣdan!" With astonishing quickness, the Saxons rush into a clumsy battle line as you near: Four take up great-spears and set themselves in front, while two take up bows and hastily nock arrows. The giant man hefts an axe near as tall as himself and stands next to the archers, while the horseman wheels his mount and starts to gain distance. Perhaps he seeks to flee, but he couches a spear under his arm, so even more likely he seeks distance in which to charge.

And then you are within charging distance of the front line. Grimly the enemy awaits your charge. Save the archers, who let off a volley of arrows. One arrow flies wide of the mark, but a grey-fletched arrow clangs against Rhun's shield as he rushes forward.

OOC: All right, here we go! Stat lines:

Four spearmen: 14 Great Spear/12 Axe, great spear and axe (will only use latter if spear broken), 5d6 damage, 6 armor, no shield, 30 hit points. Remember, they get +5 to hit mounted targets AND you lose your normal +5 bonus when using a lance against a non-lance wielding opponent. You still get a charge bonus.

Two archers: 12 Bow/4 Dagger, bow and dagger (will only use latter in melee), 3d6 damage, 6 armor + 6 shield, 30 hit points. They get -5 to hit opponents bearing shields.

Sigismund (huge heorthgeneat): 16 Great Axe/14 Spear, great axe and spear (will only use latter if axe broken), 6d6 damage, 10 armor, no shield, 36 hit points. Normal tactics for now, but if he is wounded, he will switch to Uncontrolled Attack against the offender.

Wilfrith (mounted heorthgeneat): 18 Axe/13 Spear, axe and spear, 6d6 damage, 10 armor + 6 shield, 31 hit points.

I'm going to roll for the archers now, but any effects from damage taken won't affect your knights till the next round. You can't get to the archers, Sigismund, or Wilfrith this round. Sigismund will engage as soon as the first Saxon falls down and he can step forward.

You *can* try to ride around and engage from the flank next round, but it will cost your action this round and you won't be able to charge against the archers or Sigismund unless you take *another* round to set yourself up.

Saxon Archer 1: Bow 7 v. Rhun: 1d20 11 Miss!
Saxon Archer 2: Bow 7 v. Briant: 1d20 18 Another miss!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Sir Rhun

There's something about riding to the rescue that just never gets old for Rhun. The Christians will probably never understand just why, he knows; they love order and status and rank. But a good Pagan understands that the Lord and the Land are intertwined; that to see to the welfare of those who work the land is to see to the welfare of those who rule it.

Plus, the girls love it.

Seeing the Saxon spears, and the battle ranks they form, Rhun eschews his lance in favor of his sword; by the time the first rank has been depleted the melee will no longer permit him to wheel about for a second charge, and Rhun has every intention to be in the thick of this fight until the bitter end. "For Uther and Britain!" he bellows, earlier silence discarded in the face of the sheer joy of battle. "For the Knights of the Hound!" He spurs his mount, and charges.

Rolling Loyalty (Group). This is a battle that the Knights of the Hound chose themselves, after all!

Loyalty (Group): 1d20 18

OH HELLS YES THAT IS A CRIT. Rhun gets an experience check AND his Loyalty (Group) increases by 1 immediately, which is always a joy to see. I will be using the Passion crit to boost Rhun's Sword skill; a critical success allows him to double his skill, giving him a Sword skill of 36 for this combat.

Rhun is attacking one of the Saxon Spearmen, with an eye towards breaking through their line so he can charge at that there giant, Sigismund, next round. Rhun does not get a charge bonus, as he is not performing a lance charge, and the Saxon gets a +5 bonus against a mounted opponent, so it's the Saxon's 19 versus Rhun's 36 (which works out to 'roll as though you had a skill of 20 and add 16 to the roll').

Saxon Attack: 1d20 17
Sword: 1d20 3

See, under normal circumstances those rolls would suck for me but Rhun's roll becomes a 19 thanks to it currently being ungodly high, so he wins out. 15% chance to not crit, and what do I get? Ah well.

Damage: 5d6 18

So the Spearman takes 12 damage after armor. Ah well, I can't be too upset. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Sir Briant

Hatred for the Saxon dogs welling in his breast, Briant charges the line of spearmen, bringing his blade down upon a second of the spearmen. His blade struck true, nearly cleaving the man in twain on the spot. Briant eyed the leader of the group of barbarians, on the horse, issuing a silent challenge. Briant would break this man, make him realize the inferiority of Saxon barbarism, the futility of lashing out at the good men of England. Only when his spirit had been utterly crushed by Briant's prowess would he allow the man to die, as all Saxons should.

(Okay, first is the Passion roll for really, really wanting every Saxon in the world dead. That's a success, boosting Sword to 29. And then Briant rolls a 20, effectively obliterating any hope of this guy surviving. This'll be 33 damage, reduced to 27 by armor, so he'll barely live. The enemy apparently decided to give up, and just kind of wave his spear around.)

• Locked thread