Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Release date: November 15th, 2013 for NA, November 29th, 2013 for EU
Single Player trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzyibMjn7YE
Multiplayer trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3F7GFs0i5A

This is the thread for Killzone: Shadow fall, and now before anything else I am just going to lay this out first since this seems to be everyone's first questions about next gen games.

-Game runs in 1080p native resolution
-For SINGLE PLAYER game runs at 30 fps
-For MULTIPLAYER game runs at 60 fps

Ok now with that out of the way back to the thread.

What is Killzone: Shadow Fall?

KZ:SF is the latest entry in the Sony exclusive franchise of Killzone. This will be a launch title for the Playstation 4 console, and will be Sony's premiere first party offering for the launch. Killzone is set is a gritty sci-fi universe where Earth's colonies are in a war against the Helghast(who are pretty much literal Space Nazi's), they are some pretty rude dudes who are really into the anime Jin-Roh and they want to shoot your head off. Game naturally features both a Single player campaign as well as Adversarial and Co-op Multiplayer modes.

Single Player Campaign

Killzone: Shadow fall is set 30 years after the ending of Killzone 3. After destroying the Helghast homeworld, the ISA has allowed Helghan refugees to live on the planet Vetka. Conflict arises as both societies are having issues integrating with one another and a giant wall is built to separate both cultures(Sony PR very much wants you to know they are intentionally pushing a Berlin wall analogy). The game begins with tension among both sides at an all time high and the threat of the cold war that has been blooming to turn hot.

Campaign highlights include:

- Guerrilla Games states the campaign weighs in at around 10 hours for the average player.
- Open ended mission structure, while there is still a point A and point B there is multiple routes to get to where you want to go on any given objective.
- Game is intended to be a jumping in point for new players to the franchise. No particular special knowledge of the previous games will be needed.
- Say hello to the OWL, your drone buddy throughout the campaign, I will just put the official marketing spiel here.
code:
What exactly is an OWL?
“The OWL is an advanced hovering attack drone used exclusively by the Shadow Marshals to give them all kinds of tactical abilities in the field.
It attaches itself onto the Shadow Marshal’s suit until he gives it an order.
When damaged, the OWL automatically returns and regenerates health until it receives an order again.”

What can the OWL do?
“The OWL has several modes you can access via the new PS4 Controller Touch Pad: Attack Mode, Zipline Mode, Stun Mode and Shield Mode.

Attack Mode orders the OWL to move to an area and attack anyone within range; alternatively, you can tell it to attack a single enemy directly.

Zipline Mode gets the OWL to fire a zipline, allowing the Shadow Marshal to traverse incredibly quickly from point A to B.

Stun Mode is similar to Attack Mode, but lets the OWL use up its energy to create
 an area-of-effect shock blast that turns off all nearby electronics and stuns humanoid enemies within range.

Lastly, Shield Mode creates an energy shield right in front of the Shadow Marshal,
allowing bullets/projectiles to pass through from his POV but stopping bullets coming in from the other side.”
Multiplayer

-Up to 24 players Multiplayer
-10 maps at launch
-22 weapons with 3 classes
-All weapons unlocked at start(not attachments though, those are unlocked by challenges)
-No level system, instead features 1500 MP challenges(with more coming with updates)
-Game will run on dedicated servers
-All DLC maps will be free of charge

Classes:

Each class has a set of weapons it is able to choose from, and an ability pool to pick from(each class can only have 2 active abilities at one time).

Assault

Your standard shootman! The Assault gets the assault rifles, and fun attachments like the underslung grenade launcher(aka the pro pipe). Their Mandatory class ability is the Nano shield, which is an energy shield deployable that you can shoot through, yet is impermeable to enemy bullets.

Other abilities the Assault can pick from are

-Speed Dash: Engage in a sudden burst of speed and run much faster than normally possible for a brief time.
-Stun Blast: Stun and blind nearby foes(think flashbang).
-Buddy Drone: The buddy drone is your best pal! Deploy him and it will hang around near you and shoot all nearby foes.

Scout

Hey this is the sniper class and thus probably the most popular class in the game by default. While he has more weapons available to him than just a Sniper rifle don't kid yourself it is probably what you are gonna use. Their Mandatory ability is Tactical Echo, send out a pulse throughout the map that can show enemy players and deployables through walls.

Other abilities the Scout can pick from are

-Cloak: You can become (mostly)invisible to other players. While the cloak is active the Scout may ONLY use the Knife, any other weapon will render the cloak inactive.
-Emergency Teleport: Randomly teleports you to any part of the map. Has a very long cooldown time.
-Stun Drone: A flying drone that will wait in the area it is deployed in until it spots an enemy player. When attacking a foe it will go off and stun all nearby players.

Support

Support is the grab-bag class, engineer and medic rolled up into one that can also use a 3 barreled minigun. Their mandatory class ability is the Revive drone, which will revive teammates at 25% health, and give them some bonus ammo upon revive.

Other abilities the Support can pick from are

-Air Support Drone: A drone that flies up from where it is deployed, and shoots at any foes with a mounted chaingun.
-Spawn Beacon: Pretty much what you think, a beacon that your team can spawn on.
-Turret: Also what you think, a big fat turret that shoots anything that comes near.
-Supply Box: A deployable that refills the health and ammo of your teammates.
-Support Teleport: Teleport to any teammate on the map, long cooldown time.

Media

Multiplayer Footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xdpSw8aaEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7ocDUQzos8
https://mega.co.nz/#!VtlCRDaL!T9VUfnQDsulcBt3usnnkU1_qNCAkS1xTeHdtKYhs2tA
(Super high quality vid of MP from a build from a few months ago)

E3 footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDfu1mYQXEg

*if anyone wants anything added to the OP, don't be afraid to ask!*

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Play with KZ:SF Goons!

Google Doc list of Players:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApgoTnajm3jEdDlFMVlHMnRmT21QYTFzVHd4bmpJRXc&usp=sharing#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1N1SGY-HZyMqxqcizWYsMFij05VLHD3eLHUGAF3UifYY/viewform

How to get into a game with a group a friends if you are not in a match
Invite everyone to a part chat (outside of Killzone from the OS menus).
When everyone is in the party chat, go back to Killzone and pick a Warzone to join.
You'll go to a 'ready up' screen, and when everyone is ready (or whenever the person who picked the Warzone to join hits 'X') you will all go into a game on the same team if there are 7 or fewer people in your party

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 18, 2013

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

limaCAT posted:

Do I remember it correctly that the download will be 48GB and that you can star to play after the first 7GB have been downloaded?

My understanding is yes it is playable after the first 7.5 gigs, which will entail the first portion of the single player campaign. This article goes into greater detail http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-24-why-killzone-shadow-fall-is-almost-40gb-it-used-to-be-290

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

Killzone 3 fixed the controls but ruined the multiplayer. I am guessing that Warzone will be returning?

Warzone will be a returning feature yes. Big thing they are harping on is players can create their own custom warzones(like invisible, knives only etc etc) and the best ones will be thrown into the official loop. As for other game modes I am not seeing anything officially announced yet but I assume all the classic standbys will be in.

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

What is the goon presence like on multi-player for the killzone games? Do the games have clan systems or anything? Also how quick is the drop off in playerbase? Is it like the far cry games where there is almost no-one playing after a couple of months?

Well I dunno I will be playing :shobon: I actually had a bf4 pre-order paid in full and I traded it up for KZ after the big media info-dump about a week ago. The games focus is pretty clearly multiplayer unlike something like FC3. As for clan support there was for 2 and 3 so I assume there will be for Shadow fall, they are being surprisingly tight lipped on a lot of things still so who knows.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 27, 2013

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Mr. Fowl posted:

Your bit on OWLs is breaking tables. Breaking the last two lines could make the OP a lot easier to read.

Ah yeah, depending on your resolution things that are in code tags can be wonky, I fixed that up.

BreakAtmo posted:

Evil Canadian, can you add the torrent of the 950MB MP video to the OP? I'm on my phone right now so I can't look for it, but Ularg should still have it. I'm still seeing when I can, and hopefully more people could do the same when they see this thread.

If I can get a link to it absolutely, I don't know where to find it offhand though.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

The two biggest problems with 3's multiplayer was the spawncamping and the maps. The maps had like 3 paths and they were all meat grinders and after a while the team that got the middle spawn point could just spawn camp.

Im hoping that it has been fixed and that it doesn't control like poo poo like 2 did.

Well I can tell you that fixed map spawn points for teams are shielded in the manner that the people spawning can shoot out, but opposing foes cannot shoot in. I can't tell you if that is 100% going to fix the issue but seems pretty good to me.

Also adding the HQ 6 min vid to the op now.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

This worries me because Conquest in BF3 kinda works like this, where the team can move around in the spawn point and opponents can't, but it rarely seems to help deter spawn camping.

Really, spawns need to flip at some point, which unfortunately just doesn't make sense in some game types.

Another problem is determining when to execute a spawn flip, especially on small maps (CoD Nuketown :argh:)

Well unfortunately no real way to tell until game is out there, because it's not like we can get a beta test or anything. It's a known issue and they have addressed it in a way they seem to think works, that's all we can really know for now :shrug:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Space Racist posted:

Polygon also confirmed with GameStop that they're going to start selling it today. I'm getting it from Amazon so I wonder if they'll start shipping copies soon.

I was at EB earlier today to pick up the new Wrestling game, saw Knack on the shelves but not Killzone, I guess my area ain't doing that yet.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

If you can see friends of your friends we could just make a dummy account to all add.

Depends on if it works that way or not, I guess.

Isn't there a clan system?

There will be a clan system, details of which however are not yet released(although we are kinda getting close to the finish line so I wish they would hurry up with the info).

As for meta tags and whatnot I have no clue if that will work with ps4 so that is a wait and see.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Added the google doc stuff to the OP. Once I figure out whatever PSN name I will use I will add myself to it!(some dick already took EvilCanadian :argh:)

Also new footage from some hotshot youtube account guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8p7JwH5rs8

Youtube compression does the visuals no justice but ehhh new is new.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Boogat posted:

I haven't really followed the class abilities for Shadow Fall much, but is the Spawn Grenade from KZ2 back? Or is it still going to be like KZ3, with the set spawn locations.. I loved the chaos that throwing a spawn grenade right on the objective caused in KZ2.

It is a spawn beacon(only deployable by engineers). Has a bit of setup and can be destroyed.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Hoom looking at a lot of the reviews that are out, its very obvious that 90%+ of their time was spent with SP. I know there probably isn't a lot of time to do both sp campaign and mp at a review event but every review seems to gloss over mp with "oh yeah, its there it is alright I guess".

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I got an audio log in game and it started playing from the controller! Scared the poo poo out of me. Could ps3 controllers do that?

Also I added myself to the Goon MP doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApgoTnajm3jEdDlFMVlHMnRmT21QYTFzVHd4bmpJRXc&usp=sharing#gid=0 I will be adding others from it and everyone should be adding everyone really.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Having never really played a KZ game before(despite being the OP!) I must say I love the warzone mode, forcing people out of their comfort zones by making you play all sorts of objectives is a great thing in my opinion.

Also Support Air drones are mad strong, my air buddy I have found gets as many kills as me.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Boogat posted:

I wish more people would play support and drop spawn beacons. I always feel obligated to use that ability since rarely someone else on my team will be using it. Without the spawn beacons, the chances of winning objectives drops significantly.

I mostly play Support and if I use a spawn beacon that means I can't use a turret or air drone! :cry:

GRINK HELCH posted:

My biggest disappointment is multiplayer. No team deathmatch or regular free for all? Am I crazy or is it really just this Warzone and five other similar modes?

Generally in other shooters I have traditionally always been a TDM player and I really like the warzone idea. I never really was an objective guy but I realize it forces everyone to move around a bunch and when it rotates around to TDM everyone(including myself) hunkers down and gets campy. I begin to realize I now like the flow of objective games better than TDM now myself and I am glad it took me out of my normal comfort zone, otherwise I would have just hopped into TDM myself.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

year199X posted:

It took me a while to figure out how the end game humiliation worked and ended up humiliating myself several times, though.

Yeah I embarrassed myself a few times. I get top and I am happy then "oh I remember reading about this!" then fail to fully understand whats happening then get owned. Took more than a few times before I finally understood what I was supposed to do it goes by so quick :smith:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

So I have a few games at least on all the maps now and I must say I like the Mall map and the Outdoor rivery map(can't remember the name offhand) quite a bit.

But holy christ gently caress the Wall. The whole thing is straight out of t2 judgement day with floodlights, rain, and darkness everywhere and I can't see a loving thing going on.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Only gun I get that feel with is the support AR, I can't use that gun anymore due to the muzzle flash. I don't have that issue in particular with any of the other guns however.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Once again remember to add yourself to the psn name list in the op and please add other goons to your friends list.

I have yet to play a game with goons myself though mostly due to the lovely hours I keep :(

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

According to the FB account they will be adding Big Team Deathmatch to the official rocker. I imagine some of the maps must get particularly heinous with 24 people on it but that is maximum explosion potential.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

So put a couple of hours into Big Team Deathmatch and two things stand out.

1) In a purely deathmatch setting the city ruins map(can't remember name offhand) reminds me of Bloc from MW4 in the very bad way. Conversely the Wall which I have stated I didn't like before actually becomes kinda fun in a 24 player deathmatch cause everything is funneled into the middle and its just out and out mayhem.

2) The support Petrusite cannon gets way better with more players on the field, as its really high in splash damage.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Jeez is there a way to make limpet grenades anyway useful? I just need to get 10 friggen kills with them to unlock the AR grenade launcher and they just seem way worse than normal grenades in every aspect.

Anyways on a less ranty note I got the attachments for Support down and Missile is so-so(as its not really hard to take down air drones anyway) but the spider mine launcher is fantastic. Has wicked range and if you are accurate enough you can use it in the same aspect of a grenade launcher anyway as they will explode on contact if the target is viable. Also on the support note, the support AR muzzle flash is much more manageable(or at least, not as visible) with using the holoscope, much better than using the default red dot sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Is anyone else on the horrifically late night crew? I know I keep lovely hours but I really haven't done any goon games so far.

Also now that I learned to get over the muzzle flash(mostly by using the holo sight) I like the support AR more and more, feels like the games ak-47.

*ed*

doh meant to type support

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 22, 2013

• Locked thread