Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

GrAviTy84 posted:

am I doing this right?

Remedy by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Other than the lack of a beer bottle in the picture, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grue Bouncer
Nov 19, 2002

don't fuck you me, you

GrAviTy84 posted:

am I doing this right?

If by 'right' you mean eating your burrito with 4 kinds of hot sauces to choose from, then yes. Absolutely.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

done right

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ayers Creek Raspberries by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Summer's gone :qq:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GrAviTy84 posted:

am I doing this right?

Burrito's always right.

Is really craving badass hotdogs a valid reason for seeking political asylum?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

two commercially available baguettes in Portland

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

This is dope

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I always liked this picture of a mushroom and barley soup I once made:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Toilet Salsa, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Authentic homemade salsa with chips.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Musket posted:

Toilet Salsa, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Authentic homemade salsa with chips.

You need to chew your food better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

JEEVES420 posted:

You need to chew your food better.

They're corn chips, what're you gonna do? :shrug:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

ham by natebol, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
got me some 4th meal action.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Nice.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm so confused.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ah yes; the rare abalone orchid...

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
They're from Heide Hatry, if anyone's curious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/23/heide-hatry-not-a-rose-photos-stux-gallery_n_3320502.html

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Frozen Pizza, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Pickled Eggs, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Pickled Beet Eggs with Mustard Seeds and Paprika.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
Anyone have recommendations for a camera? I'm definitely an amateur photographer but I want something beyond my current combo of iPhone and old Nikon point and shoot. It'd be almost 90% food photography.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

granpa yum posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a camera? I'm definitely an amateur photographer but I want something beyond my current combo of iPhone and old Nikon point and shoot. It'd be almost 90% food photography.

This is old, and you probably already got an answer, but how much do you want to spend?

Assuming you also want to document restaurant food, you'll likely often have to take pictures in low light environments, and without a flash. Never use a flash in restaurants.

You can probably get a Sony RX100 Mark I for a pretty reasonable price these days, and at the wide end it has a bright lens and image stabilization, both of which would let you take better low-light pictures. Plus, it won't be much bigger than your current point and shoot.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

mediaphage posted:

This is old, and you probably already got an answer, but how much do you want to spend?

Assuming you also want to document restaurant food, you'll likely often have to take pictures in low light environments, and without a flash. Never use a flash in restaurants.

You can probably get a Sony RX100 Mark I for a pretty reasonable price these days, and at the wide end it has a bright lens and image stabilization, both of which would let you take better low-light pictures. Plus, it won't be much bigger than your current point and shoot.

I actually had forgotten about it! For a budget I would say about 6 or 700 max. I'm not super big on taking pictures in restaurants; mainly pictures of stuff I cook so I can control the lighting.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

granpa yum posted:

I actually had forgotten about it! For a budget I would say about 6 or 700 max. I'm not super big on taking pictures in restaurants; mainly pictures of stuff I cook so I can control the lighting.

Ah. If you think you'd ever want to learn about photography outside of shooting auto, then I'll keep recommending the Sony RX100. The RX100 M2 gets you a hot shoe, tilting LCD, and Wi-Fi (which actually works pretty well with Android / iOS), but it costs a little more.

I like it because it's so small - it punches above its weight (and has a bigger sensor than the majority of point and shoots). You can find something that will get you as good or better quality for less dollars, but to do so you'd have to jump into a DSLR with interchangeable lenses, which is going to be much bigger, or possibly a micro four-thirds camera, which will be bigger, but not that big. Either are more complex, but may be a better option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

granpa yum posted:

You can get by with most entry level DSLR bodies. Look at what most of your friends shoot, and pick a camera from the same brand the majority of them have, so you can borrow their glass. Since you rarely take pics in places other than your own kitchen, you may benefit from an actual DSLR over some other recommendations for the pure fact your partner or yourself can get into other forms of photography, as well as having most of the controls not in menus. Means you dont have to worry about these purchases down the road if you decide to expand to taking landscapes or macro shots, ect.

If your friends are mostly Nikon, I would choose a http://www.adorama.com/INKD5200KR.html Refurbished gear directly from Nikon shouldnt be overlooked and would be a safe buy. In the future you can add a speedlight to this set up for better control of light. I am not versed in Canons entry level lineup cuz they feel stupid in my hands compared to Nikon. It is important that you handle a camera before you buy it. Ergonomics is very important here as most entry level DSLR bodies regardless of brand will be pretty much in line with one another.

Come on over to the dorkroom, we have a few beginner camera threads and would be happy to offer up suggestions.

• Locked thread