Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Hello, it's your friendly neighbourhood neotek here. You might remember me from such websites as Tindeck. Maybe, maybe not.

In any case, I'm back with a new venture, one that's been on the horizon for a few years and which grew out of the thousands of conversations I've had with Tindeck's ~95,000 users. It's called Kicktone, and I made it to help you sell your music directly to your fans.

http://kicktone.com

Okay, Kicktone is a music distribution and discovery platform made for an indie audience. iTunes is ugly and exploitative and just an extension of the label system, and streaming revenue sucks - an indie artist would have to be streamed more than 230,000 times a month just to make minimum wage for one person, which is loving ridiculous.

Bandcamp is pretty cool, but selling music isn't really your problem - getting music online is easy, there are hundreds of hosting sites to pick from, and selling it is just a matter of setting up a PayPal account. Bandcamp's discovery features are okay but there's a huge gap in the process, and their fan accounts are just a glorified transaction list.

The real problem for indie artists is discovery - how do you get your music in front of new listeners, and how do you turn those listeners into fans?

So that's the problem Kicktone was made to solve, but we're doing it in stages. Right now you can create an account and upload your music quickly and easily, set a price, and then launch it to the world. You can share music through your social networks to existing fans, and when we turn on the search engine in a couple of days people will be able to discover your music directly through Kicktone. We have some really cool search tech to weed out the good from the bad, so your music should bubble to the top.

In the coming months, as the catalogue grows, we'll be turning on fan accounts, and that's when poo poo gets real. We already have thousands of people on the waiting list for a fan account, and when it launches they'll be able to create mixtapes from content on Kicktone, upload photos of gigs they've been to, interact with the bands they love, and we can analyse their music tastes (more on that another day) to give fast and accurate recommendations. We'll be backing that up with iOS and Android apps, as well as a desktop app (Windows at first, Mac to follow soon after.) Fan accounts are completely centred around discovery and engagement.

We opened our doors on October 1 and so far more than a thousand bands have joined and are selling their music.

Here's a tiny selection of the albums that are on Kicktone right now:

So check it out at http://kicktone.com and I'd love to hear your feedback.

PS: This isn't some bullshit fly-by-night accidental thing like Tindeck was. We're a real company, with investors and an office and free orange juice and a budget and everything. I'm deadly serious about making the industry better for artists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

You're aces in my book, neotek, so I'ma sign up right away.

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

mofolotopo posted:

You're aces in my book, neotek, so I'ma sign up right away.

If I could buy you a beer I would. Actually, I'll buy whatever you upload to Kicktone and you can spend the money on beer.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Gonna have to wait 'til I go to the office on Wednesday to actually upload stuff, though; my home connection is complete garbage on the upstream end.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

Asks Stupid Questions

I'm sold. Gonna pitch this to my techno-producing posse as well. Great idea, site looks great too!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

We have a record coming out and I'm interest in what this will do compared to other digital distributors.

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm sold. Gonna pitch this to my techno-producing posse as well. Great idea, site looks great too!

Thanks, we put a lot of effort into the design. There's still a lot of work to be done, but it (mostly) works on mobile and tablet devices as well, right out of the box. Streaming works, uploading doesn't, but we're working on it. Let me know when you get your tracks up, I'm a bit of an electro-nerd.

Noise Machine posted:

We have a record coming out and I'm interest in what this will do compared to other digital distributors.

We'll do our best to promote you within our community and when the fan stuff launches we should be able to kick that up a notch. Cheers for giving us a try.

Pandabearassault
Sep 1, 2004

The only bar with soul...of children

I just joined. This looks like fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RowboatMan: Freezing time is an old P.I. trick...

Just signed up as 'Robot Cousin'. Just a quick question; I have a free album on my own personal website. I'm not looking to charge for it ever, but would I be able to upload it to the site? I don't have bandwidth issues or anything (thanks, Dreamhost!), I just figured that the next bunch of music I put together and call an album I WILL charge for, but it'd be nice for people to have the first one available at the same place, even if though it's free.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Oh man, I'm really digging the drag and drop interface! I'm going to try to upload my shiz over my crap home connection today, we'll see how that works out.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

I signed up at the beginning of the month. I really dig the interface. Haven't had much traffic yet, but there's certainly a lot of potential. I'm going to use it to debut an album I'll be releasing pretty soon, and it'll only be available on Kicktone (for a while at least). Definitely looking forward to seeing how the site progresses. Hopefully a ton of folks will sign up.

Might as well also show off my album.

Hey is there a way to browse bands that are on there, and I've just missed it, or is that waiting for the fan accounts to be active?

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just signed up as 'Robot Cousin'. Just a quick question; I have a free album on my own personal website. I'm not looking to charge for it ever, but would I be able to upload it to the site? I don't have bandwidth issues or anything (thanks, Dreamhost!), I just figured that the next bunch of music I put together and call an album I WILL charge for, but it'd be nice for people to have the first one available at the same place, even if though it's free.

No problem, we don't have any limits on how many free albums you can give away. In fact, pretty much everything is unlimited.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Hey is there a way to browse bands that are on there, and I've just missed it, or is that waiting for the fan accounts to be active?

There isn't a search page or discovery page yet, but that's coming in the next couple of days.

(I love the album, by the way. It's on the list for the next front-page refresh.)

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

I'm up!

http://danwarren.kicktone.com/htvnn...-tasteful-nudes

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

What makes this better than other platforms like bandcamp?

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

So that's why Cam, our marketing guy, just yelled out "some guy uploaded an album about nudes!"

bowmore posted:

What makes this better than other platforms like bandcamp?

Honestly? Right now, today, it's not. We do some things better, like unlimited free album downloads and a simpler interface, but we don't do any of the really complex stuff like UPC or ISRC tracking or download codes. Then again, we didn't find many people actually using that stuff, so it's not high on our agenda.

But the question is: so what? What does Bandcamp do that a thousand other distribution sites don't? Selling music online is a non-issue, a completely solved problem. There are stacks of places to go where you can put an album online and sell to your existing fans, and those fans would buy your music whether it was on Bandcamp or Kicktone or sold out of a car boot behind a dirty pub.

But our real purpose, the end goal, is to make music discovery work for indie music. Nothing we're doing publically solves that problem yet, and there's a hell of a long way to go, but all of our dev efforts are pointed towards launching fan accounts and releasing the discovery engine to the public. That's when we'll be able to bring you fans, instead of you bringing us (or Bandcamp) your existing fans.

In the meantime, we're building a great catalogue of amazing music so when we turn discovery on there'll be enough content to please everybody. In the meantime, bands and artists can continue selling to their fans through Kicktone and doing exactly what they've done on Bandcamp in the past, and they'll have a head start (like a better reputation score, which we use to give weight to search results) when all the discovery features are turned on.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Do I have to have 44.1/16 sample and bit rate, or am I free to upload higher quality files?

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Noise Machine posted:

Do I have to have 44.1/16 sample and bit rate, or am I free to upload higher quality files?

Upload pretty much whatever you like, we handle it all. We had a dude upload 11khz/8bit WAVs a few weeks ago, had to email him to ask him to stop.

Hyphy Jamboree
Jun 5, 2003

Gay for Vonnegut

I've signed up, this looks really awesome! When you guys eventually expand take over the world and get to NYC let me know!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

neotek posted:

Upload pretty much whatever you like, we handle it all. We had a dude upload 11khz/8bit WAVs a few weeks ago, had to email him to ask him to stop.

But if I upload it at 48/24, if someone buys the album will they have the option for a 44/16 AND 48/24 file, or do you guys just dither it down to 44/16

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at Oct 29, 2013 around 18:45

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Noise Machine posted:

But if I upload it at 48/24, if someone buys the album will they have the option for a 44/16 AND 48/24 file, or do you guys just dither it down to 44/16

If you upload in 48/24, all the formats we convert to will be in 48/24 also.

Hyphy Jamboree posted:

I've signed up, this looks really awesome! When you guys eventually expand take over the world and get to NYC let me know!

Thanks mate! It looks like I'll be in the US sometime in December, but we'll see.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

neotek posted:

If you upload in 48/24, all the formats we convert to will be in 48/24 also.

Party time! Just launched an album by my now defunct-ambient side project. Wooooo!

Edit: gently caress yeah bitches http://nehmc.kicktone.com/twfjr/nehmc

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at Oct 29, 2013 around 22:59

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Noise Machine posted:

Party time! Just launched an album by my now defunct-ambient side project. Wooooo!

Edit: gently caress yeah bitches http://nehmc.kicktone.com/twfjr/nehmc

Holy poo poo that music creeps me out

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

neotek posted:

Holy poo poo that music creeps me out

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about this band.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at Oct 30, 2013 around 00:28

Ladle Lady
Apr 28, 2006

Videogames Are Great!

This seems like Bandcamp but better, I'm into it! I just threw up my latest release, have a looksie!

http://wormwood.kicktone.com/tqymd/f-o-r-m-s

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

This looks pretty promising, so I decided to sign up and set one of my more recent Bandcamp EPs onto it. No harm in having my stuff in two stores, right? Divide and conquer and all that. I'm looking forward to seeing this site grow!

Edit: So far this service looks pretty good! There are just a few weird things happening to me, like my profile picture and my album artwork not showing up on my main band page (on actual album pages everything looks fine). Also, just out of curiosity, will we ever be able to customize our headers if we want to?

Double Edit: I also decided to put up an album about giant robots!

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at Nov 5, 2013 around 01:15

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

If dreams are like movies
then memories are films about ghosts.

I'm not working on any musical projects at the moment so I have nothing to contribute to this site. It looks rad as hell regardless, Neotek. Mad props!

e: That video of a spinning vinyl record in the background just sets the mood right away.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at Nov 2, 2013 around 17:03

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

This looks pretty promising, so I decided to sign up and set one of my more recent Bandcamp EPs onto it. No harm in having my stuff in two stores, right? Divide and conquer and all that. I'm looking forward to seeing this site grow!

Edit: So far this service looks pretty good! There are just a few weird things happening to me, like my profile picture and my album artwork not showing up on my main band page (on actual album pages everything looks fine). Also, just out of curiosity, will we ever be able to customize our headers if we want to?

Double Edit: I also decided to put up an album about giant robots!

ROBOTS HELL YEAH

We'll be adding the ability to upload custom headers soon, just got a few other things to fix up and polish before we do that. Things are getting stupid busy now - we were in the Sydney Morning Herald and all the other Fairfax papers the other day and we've had a huge influx of users (which is a good problem to have, but still a problem.)

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Signed up since might as well. Goonrun is goodrun.

Put up my first thing from a couple years ago. Still working on the follow-up.

http://shoggoth.kicktone.com

mayor depression
Feb 2, 2008

This looks very neat. I made a thing and I'm putting up some of my work.

http://mathbonus.kicktone.com/

Interface is slick.

can I change the order my releases appear in ?

mayor depression fucked around with this message at Nov 13, 2013 around 22:41

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Signed up since might as well. Goonrun is goodrun.

Put up my first thing from a couple years ago. Still working on the follow-up.

http://shoggoth.kicktone.com

Your profile picture is just sublime.

slardel posted:

can I change the order my releases appear in ?

Not yet, but soon, promise.

neotek fucked around with this message at Nov 15, 2013 around 03:07

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

neotek posted:

Your profile picture is just sublime.

Thanks. I assume you've got more profile customization lined up for soon?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

According to the site, since I uploaded I've had 20 streams and no purchases. I'm a-ok with no purchases. I'm happy just to see I've got a few streams, and begin able to track the number of streams I have is a great feature.

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

Robotnik Nudes posted:

According to the site, since I uploaded I've had 20 streams and no purchases. I'm a-ok with no purchases. I'm happy just to see I've got a few streams, and begin able to track the number of streams I have is a great feature.

Our top sellers have a ratio of about 20:1 streams to purchases, it all depends on how much promotion you do and the people you're promoting to. Engaging your audience is way more important than just having a place where they can buy your music. We'll be doing a lot more to help bands engage their fans in the future.

PilotRedSun
Mar 3, 2013

If I want to go by multiple aliases do I need to make multiple accounts?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

So much time and so little to do.

Oh hi Kicktone, your site is fantastic and the UI is smooth as can be. I did hesitate a few times when something that ended up being optional (like liner notes for every single track) weren't identified as being so.

FANCY! http://sutehx.kicktone.com/rxjpj/corrode-ep

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Passed the site to my composer. He seems to like it.

DivvyO
May 20, 2001
Copa & Maxixe!

This site is super-impressive. I'm looking forward to see how this all develops!

neotek
Feb 18, 2003

PilotRedSun posted:

If I want to go by multiple aliases do I need to make multiple accounts?

Well, you don't *have* to, because you can set a different album artist for each album you upload, but it's best to have a separate profile for each alias so you can write a bio for each one and so fans can follow each act separately.

In the future we'll have label / management accounts which can control multiple band accounts at the same time, so you won't have to keep logging in and out.

FadedReality posted:

Oh hi Kicktone, your site is fantastic and the UI is smooth as can be. I did hesitate a few times when something that ended up being optional (like liner notes for every single track) weren't identified as being so.

FANCY! http://sutehx.kicktone.com/rxjpj/corrode-ep

Cheers, I'll make it clearer what's required and what's not. PS: Frigid is super awesome.

Warcabbit posted:

Passed the site to my composer. He seems to like it.

DivvyO posted:

This site is super-impressive. I'm looking forward to see how this all develops!

Thanks There's still so much more to come.

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Really liking the UI and how easy it was to upload my album (although I tried to do AIFF first and that was a no-go). Pumped for this to take off. Nice work!

Here's some holiday rock 'n' roll in the meantime!

http://hartandhare.kicktone.com/yrprd/rabbit-reindeer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mishakaz
Sep 22, 2004
That Russian Guy

Is it possible to sign up for a collective or label, or does every band/project need to have its own e-mail?

«2 »