Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I had started reading this series as part of the "52 Books In a Year Challenge" thread. I enjoyed the first two quite thoroughly, but I don't think I really appreciated them until I read some of the deeper analysis in this thread. Le Guin really does have a subtle way about her work, masked by somewhat terse language. I really love it. In fact, my favourite part of these books has been their brevity/succinctness. However, I stopped reading after Tombs Of Atuan because I couldn't find a copy of The Farthest Shore in my local used book store--until recently when a copy came into my public library.

I also just finished Tehanu. I knew what to expect because this thread braced me for a more mature, feminist response to the first cycle, and honestly, it's probably my favourite book. I was absolutely floored by the themes explored within it. Not what I was expecting from a fantasy book at all. I love the characters, I loved the unorthodox ideas brought up, and I love the way they were explored. It was a bit dark in places, but overall I thought the book was a rather uplifting one. I suppose that remains to be seen in comparison to The Other Wind, but I only just stared Tales Of Earthsea.

Glad this thread is here. It's really enhanced my reading of the Earthsea cycle, and it's made me want to branch out into Le Guin's other works afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The copy of Tehanu I read is a reissue to tie in with that miniseries. The cover is ugly as sin and makes it look like bad generic made-for-tv fantasy.

I've also heard terrible things about it though I never saw it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Omglosser posted:

I really really am itching to reread the whole series now, especially Tehanu. I remember being mostly bored, but extremely invigorated near the climax when that old witch tells Therru to speak her Name. And weren't her burn scars self-inflicted? Wasn't that determined at some point? I can't remember but it seems like the people who left her behind weren't as bad as initially presumed.

From what I understood, her burns were the result of a horrific attack. However, people judged her on her outer appearance, so they assumed she was evil or cursed or something, so the burns were "her fault". Also, the people who left her behind were pretty bad. gently caress them. Pretty sure Ged had to stab a couple of them to prevent a home invasion.

• Locked thread